• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i9-10980XE "Cascade Lake-X" Benchmarked

1) The 10980XE does not support any HEVC it doesn't have an IGP and AMD has a few TB3 motherboards. So optane i guess?
2) LOL what? X299 idle is not low by any means. Overclocking I could give you if you want a household heater.
3) Early adoption of AMD 1st gen Ryzen maybe what issues are you talking about now. 3rd Gen Ryzen is has very good motherboards and memory support.
4) Uhm Intel's HEDT uses a different internal memory architecture than desktop Intel chips. This leads to higher latencies and with that a loss is ST performance giving the lead to AMD whoops so much for ST performace. Check the game benchmarks above. And also pay attention to the point that the 10980xe and Ryzen 3900x have similar clock frequencies and AMD won when it came to games every time in the charts picked. Even going to the source site it is hard to find any real win for Intel even when cherry picking your data.
5) See 4.
6) X399 yeah. Although there are quite a few X570 boards if the 3950X is an option in that size category depending on your needs.
7) It's new? And optimizations are coming with every new version of Windows 10. Although this really isn't a thing that should be an issue given that Ryzen is fast enough already.
Not to be too pointed, but I already did a point-by-point breakdown of why this is wrong, including sources linked like this.

Low quality post by ZoneDymo
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I'd honestly take this over AMD's offerings, mainly because:
- HEVC advantage, optane and TB3
- lower idle consumption and better overclocking experience
(unlike the sterile, meaningless and incremental one on AMD's zen cpus)
- none of the countless problems faced by AMD mobos and memory
- super ST performance, being more reflective and reliable in today's usages
- superior gaming experience
- availability of ITX option - Asrock X299-ITX/Server counterpart
- AMD's lack of optimization in windows

So many unmentioned advantages. I say its a good placeholder until the actual zen response (Tiger-Lake/Ice Lake) arrives. Kudos to AMD for catching up to Coffeelake though.

Welcome to TPU my man, hope you did not just make a new account to do some blind fanboying

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

Good to know. I wasn’t aware of that until you mentioned it. That is the sort of thing that could boost Thunderbolt to actually being mainstream beyond niche Apple users.

However, I was talking in terms of currently available hardware. USB 4 isn’t something we can take advantage of quite yet.

Thunderbolt support would be an interesting option (better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it) but 99.9% of users don’t need it. I’ve had Thunderbolt 3 support for quite some time and never had need of it.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Good to know. I wasn’t aware of that until you mentioned it. That is the sort of thing that could boost Thunderbolt to actually being mainstream beyond niche Apple users.

However, I was talking in terms of currently available hardware. USB 4 isn’t something we can take advantage of quite yet.

Thunderbolt support would be an interesting option (better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it) but 99.9% of users don’t need it. I’ve had Thunderbolt 3 support for quite some time and never had need of it.
Ditto. I did also link the boards you mentioned in my post, just felt it was worth pointing out Intel has officially given up any advantage TB3 might have allowed them, by giving it to everyone.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Ditto. I did also link the boards you mentioned in my post, just felt it was worth pointing out Intel has officially given up any advantage TB3 might have allowed them, by giving it to everyone.
The standard originally required a license thus adding cost. When Intel realized it's going nowhere fast, they gave up, and made it free.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121

I would rather have Optane support those drives have some serious i/O

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510

Behold, the same damn thing, but for AMD.

I have used Store MI. It is honestly meh for me. The maximum size you can add without paying a premium is 256GB and one of the drives has to listed as fast and slow. It really only makes sense if you have an HDD and you would like to turn it into a SSHD with 256GB of flash. Optane is more like a different version of NVME than a software based program. Windows already has Storage spaces that does way more than Store MI anyway.

Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Master
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory 32GB (16x2) Crucial DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 480 Red Devil 8GB
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200, 1TB Corsair MP510, 4TB WDC Red, 3TB WDC Black, 6TB Ironwolf, 250GB 850 evo
Display(s) LG 4k 27"
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 6
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906
Power Supply 660W Seasonic Platinum Prime
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
I would rather have Optane support those drives have some serious i/O

The Optane support reallly isn't about supporting the drives but the "Optane" software. There are multiple products that Intel places their Optane tag on. One of them being the software they use with their Optane drives. If your only concern is using an Optane SSD as a boot drive any AMD system with the proper connection will suffice. The only other Optane tech Intel has exclusive use of is the Optane Memory supported by certain Xeon platforms. Idk if AMD will eventually add support for those in their EPYC line eventually or something similar.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
The elefant in the room just turned the lights on.

10980xe and 9980xe have same all core boost so they would perform the same in most benchmarks that not using the new features.
so it's going to be even boring benchmarks then 2080Super ;-).

So many unmentioned advantages. I say its a good placeholder until the actual zen response (Tiger-Lake/Ice Lake) arrives. Kudos to AMD for catching up to Coffeelake though.

I own/have owned both intel and AMD mainstream and HEDT platforms in the last two years. I have to disagree with all but your first point. TB3 was the biggest pain for me, Would’ve been useful several times now on my X399 workstation.

As to everything else, if you’re gaming at 1440p or 4K - you do not notice the difference. If anything, my current X399 build seems to have more consistent FPS (“smoother”) at 4K vs my previous AM4 or Z270 builds. SIngle threaded performance is a terrible metric to build a system around FYI - the tasks and applications that are truly single-threaded are mostly the stuff of benchmarks now. ITX isn’t realistic with X399 due to the size of the socket. Windows optimizations / lack thereof had much to do with NUMA vs UMA and this has been resolved for Zen 2.

Overclocking is where I have to disagree most. Zen overclocking has more to do with building a custom cooling solution, tweaking PBO options / wattage / scalar, and many hours of memory adjustment and testing. To do it well is harder than bumping vcore and cranking the multiplier on a mainstream intel board - this is especially true regarding the memory.

The only thing I take from those benchmarks is the outstanding value of the 3700x that despite costing (where I live) around ~€350 against the ~€500 for the i7 9900k is neck to neck and in more than one case even better.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
This is product stack is already dead at release. I don't see much reason to leave your 9900K, let alone a 3900x. You'd be crazy to pay twice the price of a 3900x for this, imo.

Low quality post by jeffj7

LOL riding a boat on D-Nile

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Finally a CPU for reading email, posting on Instagram and can play Crysis!

Nkd

I am not sure how to think about this. This processor seems DOA. I mean its not great in gaming and doesn't blow past in multicore tests against 12core AMD. Its probably generating too much heat to sustain any higher boost clocks. 3950x is just going to destroy it. Intel couldn't have a node shrink fast enough.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
What is up with the 8700k beating everything in DoW3 and Metro?

Seriously this is either fake or they gave the chip some secret sauce...it's a good 10% better then anything else in their tests yet no ones else has seen those numbers

MikeZTM

Higher sustained boost clocks is my guess. Could be either a chip with good boost behaviour, or even that the limitation of threads causes an anomaly where 6/12 forces a workload into an HT thread that would ordinarily be handled on a 7th physical core, limiting the performance of that thread in theory, but in practice keeping that one physical core operating more quickly and therefore at higher boost.

Actually it is much simpler than that: 8700k have less cores resulting in lower ring bus latency than 9900k. In 1080P CPU frame rate test RAM/Cache system latency is critical and this architecture shows it weakness.

BTW I'm using my Optane SSD 900P AIC with a X570. All client Optane devices are standard NVMe SSDs including those H10 hybrids. It's hilarious to think a standard NVMe SSD will not work on AMD platform.

Only server part like Optane DC Persistence Memory are limit to Xeon platform and anyway they are not compatible with desktop or HEDT platform and not even Xeon E or Xeon W.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Rahmat Sofyan
Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339

wake up mate, we already at the end of 2019 ...

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
The Optane support reallly isn't about supporting the drives but the "Optane" software. There are multiple products that Intel places their Optane tag on. One of them being the software they use with their Optane drives. If your only concern is using an Optane SSD as a boot drive any AMD system with the proper connection will suffice. The only other Optane tech Intel has exclusive use of is the Optane Memory supported by certain Xeon platforms. Idk if AMD will eventually add support for those in their EPYC line eventually or something similar.

Yeah I know what you mean
Sitting with 900P on a X570.
It works day one as those drives are just NVMe SSDs.

Nice those are a little rich for my blood but are very tempting.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
At first i was like

But then i was like

If these results are true, intel… sorry i mean Shintel is gonna have a hard year a head of them on the desktop marked. Intel HEDT is a dying breed as it is right now.
Well this just confirms for my needs Ryzen 9 3950X is a better choise for me. I want the best possible gaming performance mixed with high core count for multi tasking perpose and other core needy stuff and there it seems so far Ryzen 9 3950X doing a better job based on the 3900X gaming results. AMD wins my money this round.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
What is up with the 8700k beating everything in DoW3 and Metro?

8700K is 6 cores / 12 threads

9700K is 8 cores / 8 threads

apparently more threads was more beneficial for such benchmarks

PS....now I see a 9900K is in there too which is 8 cores / 16 threads....OK so 8700K beating 9900K is a bit perplexing. However, not perplexing in my initial response between 8700K and 9700K