• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Support TechPowerUp on Patreon, Unlock New Features

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
is a grey market selling good keys which they don't own; a lot of companies buy thousand of keys with multiple activation and why not selling a few for own benefit...

Microsoft like it because they sold it already so they had no problem activating it; however you may have problems in case real owner will announce Microsoft that your key was lost(stolen) and than guess what ?

are cheaper because the it guy from a big company "borrowed" a few ones... i'm sure you understand...

correct keys are fine but licensing not; they don't check who is activating it as are sold and expect them to be activated but it may come a day when my above post will affect the buyer..

Is a shady business and in court for sure will be declared as illegal ; none of these sellers are authorized by Microsoft,this is the point

we had a thread about this and i made more digging...for example scdkey , cdkoffers seems to belong to AMZGAME CO.,LTD , a UK based company; they had a lot of sites not only the key selling ones...

so these two above mentioned sites provide the same owner located 14 WELLS VIEW DRIVE LONDON UNITED KINGDOM BRJZ 9UL ; i didn't found the company at that address but the uk gov. has the AMZGAME CO.,LTD as registered under no.09703095 at Unit G25 Waterfront Studios, 1 Dock Road, London, United Kingdom, E16 1AH :

here we can see the company will be dissolved latest on 03.02.2020 as applied to strike off from registry; on filling history we can see who the owner is and also that company was declared as "dormant" ; dormant is good as they're excepted from taxes; is interesting how can dormant company can keep so many sites and sell....i'm sure is legal...now they're milking the cow on last days and vanish but sure will re-appear under other name but again dormant....

Dude, you clearly have no idea how software licensing works these days.
These keys are legit, as Microsoft sells more affordable software keys in certain regions, so what you're paying is most likely full price or more.
However, said keys are technically not supposed to be used outside of those markets, i.e. China, Indian, Indonesia etc. so if someone in the west buys one of these keys, they're being naughty, but have not committed some kind of crime and haven't done anything illegal.
Just have a look here, as a great example of this policy from Steam. They charge a wide range of price for the same game, depending on where people live.
Someone in Russia or Brazil pays a lot less than someone in Switzerland or Israel for that game. Although, weirdly enough it's really expensive in India.
Take another game.
And Argentina and Turkey gets the best deal, with Japan and New Zealand paying the most.
Seriously, you and your friends bitching about this needs to get out more...

Which is why I asked if this site is monetized properly. I know how much we make and were not maximized... and if this site is several times bigger...

So, what is this additional money going to be used for? Was that ever answered? I think you may get more volunteers knowing specifically what this is going for as compared to the 'perks' that wont push people over the edge. :)
They are currently looking for more staff, so that might be one thing.

Last edited:
Dude, you clearly have no idea how software licensing works these days.
You should be more careful with statements like that...
These keys are legit, as Microsoft sells more affordable software keys in certain regions, so what you're paying is most likely full price or more.
This is false. But what better way to defend your theory than showing us a proper Indian store (Microsoft Partner) selling Windows 10 for ~$15? . :)

And as you look for them (good luck), here's the official MS Store India:
10000 INR ~= 140 USD
However, said keys are technically not supposed to be used outside of those markets, i.e. China, Indian, Indonesia etc.
So if someone living outside of said markets buys them, is it against the license or not? It's good to have a software licensing expert on board. :)
Seriously, you need to get out more...
Seriously, just show us the licensing agreement for these keys and it'll end this argument (one way or another).

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
When W1zzard started the Patreon thing back in March of last year he left a post on that site that some of the funds would be used to buy hardware for reviews when samples weren't sent to tech sites.

This key reselling thing doesn't bother me but I don't buy from key resellers. If most of the keys are intended to go to schools for free then MS has already either wrote the expense off or accounted it to growing Win 10 use. The only thing that I can see is people buying these keys from key resellers aren't breaking the law necessarily they are just using the keys in a way that MS didn't intend them for.

So if someone living outside of said markets buys them, is it against the license or not?
Not. The reason? Ultimately it is not relevant where a piece of software is purchased or even where it is used. It only matters that it was lawfully paid for. Software makers have learned that it is better to sell a legit discounted item and make some money, than to hardball everyone and watch those same people pirate said item. As a result, software vendors continue to exist with the blessing of the software makers.

Last edited:
This key reselling thing doesn't bother me but I don't buy from key resellers.
But, clearly, it bothers some forum members.

Instead, TPU staff blocks comments under key advertisements and ignores discussions happening in other threads (I assume it's a policy rather than a coincidence).
So this is more about having a dialog and taking care of the community that generates "clicks" and is asked to donate - not about the particular issue at hand (which is sad as well).
If most of the keys are intended to go to schools for free then MS has already either wrote the expense off or accounted it to growing Win 10 use.
Absolutely not. MS is selling bulk licenses to institutions and companies. Sometimes they are very cheap. But it's a known user group.
It's software. There's no "writing off". There's no inventory and nothing is wasted.

Yes, it may happen that Intel sells 100 Windows copies to a school for pennies.
If 80 of them are then sold to private customers, they lose 80*$140. Simple as that.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
You should be more careful with statements like that...

This is false. But what better way to defend your theory than showing us a proper Indian store (Microsoft Partner) selling Windows 10 for ~$15? . :)

And as you look for them (good luck), here's the official MS Store India:
10000 INR ~= 140 USD

So if someone living outside of said markets buys them, is it against the license or not? It's good to have a software licensing expert on board. :)

Seriously, just show us the licensing agreement for these keys and it'll end this argument (one way or another).

Retail vs. OEM license? :rolleyes:
These are still OEM licenses. Legally, OEM licenses should only be sold alongside a system, or at a minimum, a CPU, motherboard or hard drive.
Anyone can clearly buy and use a retail license. The idea with these types of licenses is that they're meant for specific markets.
You can still buy an OEM license anywhere in the world, just not as cheap and then you have right to use that with the system it was intended for according the license agreement.
I can find licenses for $10 locally online here too, or $250 if I want a retail packaged Windows 10 Pro.
Note that what these sites resell, are not bulk licenses, as they work differently.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Instead, TPU staff blocks comments under key advertisements and ignores discussions happening in other threads (I assume it's a policy rather than a coincidence).
So this is more about having a dialog and taking care of the community that generates "clicks" and is asked to donate - not about the particular issue at hand (which is sad as well).

I assume the key reseller ads are blocked from comments because there was already a thread in the comments & feedback section that is 14 pages long and the staff don't want to rehash everything over and over again under every key reseller ad. Pretty much everything that could be said about the key reseller ads has already been said over and over on this thread:

It's not the forum members business to tell TPU how to conduct it's own business. We're not talking about forum members being mistreated or forum rules being abused. We're talking about a business sponsorship deal that generates income.

So you, Laszlo and everyone else who has a problem with it just needs to shut up about the subject. It's none of our business and as 64K just pointed out, it's been debated to death already. Quit special-snowflaking and let it go.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Therein lay the rub, yes?
Possibly, but should and being strictly enforced are two different things, no?
Could Microsoft send the police around to close down a shop that sold OEM licenses without a CPU? I doubt it and I doubt they could even take them to court over it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Actually, OEM copies of Windows can and are sold without hardware. The catch is it can not be REsold(ownership transfer) without hardware.

But I digress as we're steering away from the topic..
Right, that might have changed then or might be different between countries/regions. I know for a fact that a lot of shops wouldn't sell an OEM copy of Windows without hardware.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
I think all patreon funds will go to buying hardware for reviews not provided for us. This is a win/win.

I don't care about the morals and ethics of selling cheap cdkeys.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
I think all patreon funds will go to buying hardware for reviews not provided for us. This is a win/win.

I don't care about the morals and ethics of selling cheap cdkeys.
yes u maybe right but there is a "but" always you know

i'm really considering to be a future patreon; i aged along with tpu i may say; when i joined was 35 and now 50; i admit that back than i wasn't so full of morals&ethics like now...more full of sht ,anyway i don't really feel comfortable seeing those sites advertised on tpu- a site which make unbiased reviews( following moral&ethics no?) watched & followed by hundreds of thousands of people, as these two don't really match and make questionable everything

a quote from Larry Noble.... : "As a fund-raising strategy, it makes sense. As a matter of ethics, it looks terrible."

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
I am Patreon member here from the first wave. I had/ have no second thoughts about it. I do not make a lot of money. But the amount of information and learning I have gleaned from these Forums, is worth it to me. Over the year's, I have had the pleasure of conversing with people with specific knowledge of things I did not have a clue about, and coming out the other side of it much more clued in.

I spent nearly 2 years reading post's here, and learned enough to not only build a computer, but to then mod it and overclock it to 1GHz! (Socket A days). When I joined up, and started Crunching on the WCG team here, my new teammates scrounged around and built me a dual core AM2 box, to up my points!

I did some folding with a GPU , for TPU's team, that was sold to me for pennies on the dollar. Until that GPU was to old for folding, I was a regular on the Daily TOP 10.

TPU is still the best site on the Planet, despite the crap that people complain about.

I blame @W1zzard for all of it!!

:lovetpu:

System Name Build # 5
Processor I9-9900K
Motherboard ASUS-ROG Maximus XI Hero wifi
Cooling Cosair H100i aio
Memory G.SKILL 128GB (4 x 32GB) TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz Intel XMP 2.0
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX-3090 FTW3
Storage XPG S40G 2TB RGB Nand Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) LG-65CX-Oled
Case Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio card & BOSE Quietcomfort 35 II headphones
Power Supply CORSAIR-HX-1050
Software WIN 10/64
Nice, forgive me it it has been addressed but is there a yearly option, say buy 11 months & get the 12th free.. I would enjoy a annual deal.
month to month seems silly to me. No refunds when I rage quit...lol...:lovetpu:

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Microsoft like it because they sold it already so they had no problem activating it; however you may have problems in case real owner will announce Microsoft that your key was lost(stolen) and than guess what ?
It's not going to happen.

a quote from Larry Noble.... : "As a fund-raising strategy, it makes sense. As a matter of ethics, it looks terrible."
I say "who gives a shit so long as it benefits me and no blood is being spilt."

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I understand TPU needs to do two things: 1. continue to fund itself in the future; staff, home offices, servers, etc., esp if there are new positions that need to be staffed, and good people cost money, 2. Provide a return on investment to the W1zz and other investors if any. However, the culture of TPU has now cracked, like Animal Farm, all members are equal, except some members are more equal than others. There is now a tiered level of in-the-club and not-in-the-club. I think that is a strategic mistake, and will raise a little cash in the short term, but is the gong of death to the huge spirit and goodwill at TPU that makes it a special place. There are other ways to raise funds, and even keep patreon, without creating this in- and out- club. Watch. People that find TPU as part of a Google search on a specific review or topic wont stay, some frequent and older members will pay a while to support, but not in perpetuity, others will drift away, and if the active discussions in the forum end up behind a paywall, then the open forums will die a little. Active members will NOT start posting more content, to maintain an equal presence on both sides of the paywall, and therefore there is a risk of less activity in the forums and review discussions that are the LIFE of TPU.

Rethink.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If that is true (is it?), how many samples is that really for a huge site like this who can get nearly everything they want? I'd rather it go into an Editor looking over and improving existing content than to see more things. Raise the level, then expand. :)

I understand TPU needs to do two things: 1. continue to fund itself in the future; staff, home offices, servers, etc., esp if there are new positions that need to be staffed, and good people cost money, 2. Provide a return on investment to the W1zz and other investors if any. However, the culture of TPU has now cracked, like Animal Farm, all members are equal, except some members are more equal than others. There is now a tiered level of in-the-club and not-in-the-club. I think that is a strategic mistake, and will raise a little cash in the short term, but is the gong of death to the huge spirit and goodwill at TPU that makes it a special place. There are other ways to raise funds, and even keep patreon, without creating this in- and out- club. Watch. People that find TPU as part of a Google search on a specific review or topic wont stay, some frequent and older members will pay a while to support, but not in perpetuity, others will drift away, and if the active discussions in the forum end up behind a paywall, then the open forums will die a little. Active members will NOT start posting more content, to maintain an equal presence on both sides of the paywall, and therefore there is a risk of less activity in the forums and review discussions that are the LIFE of TPU.

Rethink.
I think you are really off on this, honestly. People could give two hoots about a silly 'supporter badge' or the MEH (to me) benefits it brings. The paywall you describe is a crack in the sidewalk...very little difference from one side to the other. I dont see much dinero coming in from this either, but disagree this will cause a divide among members. Most wont give a damn, honestly. This will come and go with a few more yellow badges but still the same forum environment (whatever you may deem it as).

Last edited:

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
People are for the most part blowing this out of proportion.

Every site has it's issues.. TPU is in no danger of having a broken community, you will find hate when looking for it.. it's a tech/enthusiast site you will have fanboys and trolls.. you want a disaster look at videocardz comment sections..

I love it here, I work on the GPU database by myself and by choice.. I work best when I know everything with no worries of changes I didn't do.

The news is fine people complain too much it's ridiculous, I read the rumors and satire, clickbait is just how things work and I'm sucked in Everytime.. I don't care.

Cheap cdkeys illegal or not I just don't care.

The mods, news team and editors don't let the site die.. give them credit.. they deserve it.. it's incredible how much they care even when paid..

W1zzard is a genius programmer and nice guy. I do miss the booth babes though.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Rethink.

Sorry, but I think you've read something more into this than it is. My understanding is that the Patreon forum is simply a sub-forum where the Paterons (?) can talk more directly to the staff at TPU about things. Nothing else is going to change on the forums.

Every site has it's issues.. TPU is in no danger of having a broken community, you will find hate when looking for it.. it's a tech/enthusiast site you will have fanboys and trolls.. you want a disaster look at videocardz comment sections..

You forgot WCCFTech... :roll:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Hmm... support the site, or don't. W1zzard has made it abundantly clear the site is in no danger... unless you don't believe him... people have been asking for a while if there was a way they could donate to TPU, well here it is. Treat it as such, a donation, not payment for services.