• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang Says NVIDIA-Branded CPUs Could be Coming

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Meanwhile in GPU land:
Looks like it's going to be "... and they're gone" scenario once again.

Last edited:
Intel trying to get to graphics, AMD has both segments, now Nvidia going to CPU. Lines getting blurred by the day.

There was a time Nvidia made chipsets, and they where pretty good at it. It actually made the chipsets of both Intel and AMD look ridiculous. Once the contracts where pulled and both vendors decided to make chipsets on their own again Nvidia retracted from that chipset market. Primarily because Nvidia did chipsets with geforce's build into it, so you woud'nt need a external GPU at all if the plan was just plain 2D and some games with it.

It would only make sense for Nvidia to enter the (license-free) CPU market again, ARM. The amount that they pay for obtaining ARM is'nt a bargain either.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Haven't seen them in anything but cars or their shield (old models), how can you compare then?
But now they own the company and its IP they have more freedom and especially money, GPU wise they are the best (with AMD second).
Tegra is happily ever after in Nintendo Switch

That's a good point but I think the more pressing issue for Nvidia is that this has to pass thru Chinese regulators first. And given what the US is doing to tiktoc, does anyone think Bejing is gonna be complaint?

Funny thing is nvidia is very respected in China and will probably have no problems with them.

If nvidia gets approved for buying ARM only makes it possible for China to start buying stock in nvidia until they are majority owners and control both GPU and ARM CPU tech.

I said quite a few years back that I felt ARM could end up becoming a stronger competitor to x86 on the desktop. It's taken awhile and progress is slower than I would've thought it would be like by now, but this could really change things a lot. It might not be the desktop so much though honestly by the time things get underway. I think Nvidia could continue to push ARM's progress in the smartphone form factor, but added emphasis toward VR and augmented reality. Really with Nvidia's IP they could be at the forefront of mobile augmented/VR technology. The Nintendo switch is a good example it's old tech now by imagine what Nvidia can do on it's own with all it's available IP tech and all it's inside connections to software development as well. I can't imagine Microsoft is a happy camper with this they could really challenge it's OS dominance in a round about way over time.

How crazy will it be in less than a decade when Nvidia has all in one mobile augmented reality/VR devices with great battery life and quick charging capabilities with even more power overall than consoles getting ready to being released now from Microsoft/Sony!!? That seems like a very plausible reality. Interestingly if end up powered by a smartphone and you can SLI bridge link a pair together perhaps and control each eye wirelessly streamed to each. Seems like they have tons of potential going forward plus all the AI robotics as well.

Are Tegra chips not CPUs? :confused:
Tegra is a combination ARM CPU set with a custom refined Maxwell GPU built together on the same SOC. So in a way yes but it's really like all other SOC's, an enhanced APU.

Intel trying to get to graphics, AMD has both segments, now Nvidia going to CPU. Lines getting blurred by the day.
Right? It's getting weird in the tech world but it's very interesting, fun and exciting to watch. I predicted that NVidia may usher in ARM for desktops on a widespread basis in the next few years. I know several people who already use Raspberry Pi as a desktop PC and use their phones/tablets for everything else. If NVidia really wanted to, they could give X86/X64 real competition in the desktop/laptop space. They have both the clout and resources to make it happen.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I'd hardly call the current consumer CPU market competitive with just two main players, so more competition has to be welcomed.
Good for Nvidia I say.

System Name Build # 5
Processor I9-9900K
Motherboard ASUS-ROG Maximus XI Hero wifi
Cooling Cosair H100i aio
Memory G.SKILL 128GB (4 x 32GB) TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz Intel XMP 2.0
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX-3090 FTW3
Storage XPG S40G 2TB RGB Nand Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) LG-65CX-Oled
Case Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio card & BOSE Quietcomfort 35 II headphones
Power Supply CORSAIR-HX-1050
Software WIN 10/64
Still curious what Softbank's motivation is to even consider selling ARM at all. You own ARM a guaranteed winner & in all likely hood going to mushroom in value. I understand 40 bil. is 40 bil, not that they need money, but maybe 400 bil. in 10 years? why sell a probable moneymaker? Either way hope it is a fun ride for us.

I'd definitely advise Wikipedia to put a sale of Arm to Nvidia in their 'List of 2020 disasters'.

(Just as that co-founder of arm said incidentally.)

Tegra is a combination ARM CPU set with a custom refined Maxwell GPU built together on the same SOC. So in a way yes but it's really like all other SOC's, an enhanced APU.

Right? It's getting weird in the tech world but it's very interesting, fun and exciting to watch. I predicted that NVidia may usher in ARM for desktops on a widespread basis in the next few years. I know several people who already use Raspberry Pi as a desktop PC and use their phones/tablets for everything else. If NVidia really wanted to, they could give X86/X64 real competition in the desktop/laptop space. They have both the clout and resources to make it happen.
The traditional common usage desktop/laptop use is low hanging fruit really. The future is VR and augmented reality I think it's about to go through a big boom like the smartphone industry did the last decade. I don't think it's really hit that boom yet, but it's about to take off if this acquisition deal goes thru Nvidia will kick start the hell out of that possibly in tandem with Nintendo think a VR and augmented hybrid Switch with probably as much power or more than the upcoming Microsoft/Sony consoles maybe even these Ampere RTX GPU's within the decade with increased efficiency and shrunk down obviously.

Things are headed in that direction on multiple fronts the desktop won't go away, but I can see it certainly becoming a more dwindling breed of users as time marches onward. That said I feel there will be a co-existence of the two things with scalable VR and augmented reality in accordance to surroundings if you're around a capable desktop you can always tap into that extra processing power and scale the level of detail higher much like the Nintendo Switch with it's tethered and non-tethered performance.

The way I see it this is kind of the push the VR and augmented reality industry actually really needs to thrive in a major way. If anything can make the technology work a highly credible way it's Nvidia. Will it be perfect probably will it have compromises along the way undoubtedly, but will it have a clear path forward and matching innovation to go along with I believe so. Will it cost a ARM and a leg no, but maybe both ARMS.

Still curious what Softbank's motivation is to even consider selling ARM at all. You own ARM a guaranteed winner & in all likely hood going to mushroom in value. I understand 40 bil. is 40 bil, not that they need money, but maybe 400 bil. in 10 years? why sell a probable moneymaker? Either way hope it is a fun ride for us.

The value of the investment is only on paper if you don't realize the gains. Unless you are getting truckloads of dividends each year, otherwise, investors should at some point in time exit the investment they made once it is in the money. There may be other considerations, for example, the China ARM going rogue, and needing to get funds for other investments.

D

Deleted member 185088

YEA, until US government forces nvidia to start enforce embargo left and right.

As soon as the deal is finished ARM tech will be considered US Tech.
Hopefully after November (January) we'll have more stability in that regard.

An image search on Project Denver brings up some of the history of nVIDIA CPUs.

ARM CPUs have a poor history with Windows so far.

The Surface X sounds like it has some better performance with the x86-like emulation/translation. -Shrug-

I'd hardly call the current consumer CPU market competitive with just two main players, so more competition has to be welcomed.
Good for Nvidia I say.

I actually think this acquisision will end up with less competition in the longer run, instead of more. ARM sells IPs to companies to design their own processors. As a result, you see more options from say Qualcomm, Apple, etc, that are entering the CPU market. With Nvidia taking over ARM and with questionable intentions, it is very likely they are going to give themselves the advantage, at the expense of depriving others of any sorts of advantage.

I actually think this acquisision will end up with less competition in the longer run, instead of more. ARM sells IPs to companies to design their own processors. As a result, you see more options from say Qualcomm, Apple, etc, that are entering the CPU market. With Nvidia taking over ARM and with questionable intentions, it is very likely they are going to give themselves the advantage, at the expense of depriving others of any sorts of advantage.

NVidia taking over ARM could create renewed interest in OpenPOWER and RISC-V. So maybe indirectly, it would create more competition.

The future is VR and augmented reality I think it's about to go through a big boom like the smartphone industry did the last decade.
I disagree with you in the respect that VR & AR will boom. They are solid technologies that have a lot of promise in many area's of computer interaction, however the use model is limited.

NVidia taking over ARM could create renewed interest in OpenPOWER and RISC-V. So maybe indirectly, it would create more competition.
Good point!

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
MIPS might make a comeback.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
AMD is re-purposing server stuff for desktop and calling it a revolution (/r/AMD and Ryzen cult crowd will have a word to say about that I bet :rolleyes:).

Correct. I mean why not? Why would you design multiple x86 CPUs from the ground up?

As for Nvidia making x86: impossible.

AMD is re-purposing server stuff for desktop
Who says that thing is made first/only for servers? What weird contention/speculation/opinion from you :rolleyes:

Unlike Intel AMD only has one design for all their markets, two if you count the monolithic die approach for zen2 APUs. Not to mention it's been wildly successful at all levels!

AMD is re-purposing server stuff for desktop and calling it a revolution (/r/AMD and Ryzen cult crowd will have a word to say about that I bet :rolleyes:).
Of course. You'd have to be a hilariously bitter and blinkered fanboy to claim otherwise. Ryzen has been a revolution, not just for what it offers itself, but for forcing Intel to stop gouging everybody for quad cores and making you buy massively-overpriced HEDT chips (which are and have always been repurposed Xeons, if you really want to go down that road) should you want more.

Keep pointing those fingers though. I'm sure you're distracting somebody from your own bias.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
why not everythings fair in love n war. i think it would be good another bunch of cpus on the market but he hasnt said thay would be for mainstream yet, heres hoping eh :)

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
With Nvidia taking over ARM and with questionable intentions...
Why so much suspicion? And please explain 'questionable intentions'.