• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Jonnyguru.com may be permanently dead

[ ... ]

80Plus certification has probably helped with this the most because although it's impossible to truly judge a PSU's quality based on its 80Plus rating, you're unlikely to get a turd with a Gold rating or better - simply because it's damn near impossible to meet that standard with shonky no-name parts and a corner-cutting design. [ ... ]
That might've been true a few years ago but unfortunately Gold is now quite full of crapshoots. If you want something that positively works, you will have to aim for Platinum or higher.
A friend of mines ordered a prebuild with a 3090 and they shipped it with the worst crapshoot 1,000W 80PLUS Gold they could find and it'd produce BSODs on an hourly basis. After I told him to swap out the PSU for a Prime these issues went away.
Granted, a 3090 that can spike to like 600W is hardly your average daily use case, but unfortunately Gold rating alone doesn't cut it anymore these days. The crapshoots are getting far too efficient.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
That might've been true a few years ago but unfortunately Gold is now quite full of crapshoots. If you want something that positively works, you will have to aim for Platinum or higher.
A friend of mines ordered a prebuild with a 3090 and they shipped it with the worst crapshoot 1,000W 80PLUS Gold they could find and it'd produce BSODs on an hourly basis. After I told him to swap out the PSU for a Prime these issues went away.
Granted, a 3090 that can spike to like 600W is hardly your average daily use case, but unfortunately Gold rating alone doesn't cut it anymore these days. The crapshoots are getting far too efficient.
Guess it's becoming cheap enough to use the more up-to-date reference designs for the budget crap units to adopt them as well - you can easily make a bad Gold unit if it has DC-DC conversion for minor rails but garbage components, after all. I don't think I'd buy a PSU without reading a review regardless, but then I'm gradually moving on to custom industrial AC-12VDC PSUs + picoPSUs for everything except the main rig anyhow :p

Oklahoma Wolf

Power Supply Guru
From reading OW's writings on retiring from the site, I understand him completely - in-depth PSU testing like that sounds exhausting, especially if that's the only thing you do. Extremely repetitive, yet labor intensive, requiring a lot of attention to detail and manual labor despite the process each time being essentially the same. I assume from a writer's perspective writing up reviews also turns into .1% variations on the same theme over time. Not many people can live with working conditions like that without burning out.

I did burn out. Still can't write anything, and I've been out of the review business since late 2018. I don't regret doing it for so long, really, but after 11 years of it not even coming close to leaving the four figure yearly income bracket doing it I just had to stop. My income had actually been going down in the 2-3 years prior because excessive shipping rates killed my chances of reselling the review units. Even so, the challenge of trying to find new ways to write the same stuff over and over like Sisyphus pushing his rock up the hill did keep me going for a little while.

Currently trying to put together a Youtube channel. Nothing on it yet... it'll be photography most of the time, electronics projects in the off season (I don't do a lot of camera stuff in winter). No power supplies. I've still got all the load testing gear but no desire to ever use it again.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
I did burn out. Still can't write anything, and I've been out of the review business since late 2018. I don't regret doing it for so long, really, but after 11 years of it not even coming close to leaving the four figure yearly income bracket doing it I just had to stop. My income had actually been going down in the 2-3 years prior because excessive shipping rates killed my chances of reselling the review units. Even so, the challenge of trying to find new ways to write the same stuff over and over like Sisyphus pushing his rock up the hill did keep me going for a little while.

Currently trying to put together a Youtube channel. Nothing on it yet... it'll be photography most of the time, electronics projects in the off season (I don't do a lot of camera stuff in winter). No power supplies. I've still got all the load testing gear but no desire to ever use it again.

Since the reviews petered out I've basically stuck to Seasonic Focus Plus and hoped that all of them at least would still be somewhat deserving of the name. So far so good, but I'm not making any bets, SSR-550FX, SSR-550PX, SGX-650 so far

I've been really feeling the loss of the Gutless Wonders though, I loved those lol. Best of luck in your current endeavours, I can't remember which thread it was from but I thought your photography was pretty awesome.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
trying to find new ways to write the same stuff over and over like Sisyphus pushing his rock up the hill did keep me going for a little while.
FWIW you were excellent at this. Your articles were always enjoyable as much for the way you wrote them as they were for their technical analysis.

I've been really feeling the loss of the Gutless Wonders though, I loved those lol.
Some of those were friggin gold lol.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.

Well thanks for your service.
Do what you enjoy, unless the pay is good enough that you'll accept doing what you can only tolerate.

Oooooohhh. I just pictured GN Steve with Weird Al's lyrical skills. That would be epic. I mean ....
One of WeirdAl's best. What makes it even funnier? It's still mostly relevant to this day... And yeah, I could totally see GN-Steve rockin a video like this if he had the skills.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Jonnyguru.com will be sorely missed by many; it was an education for me and people were quite patient in explaining things.

That's partly because finding a decent PSU is dead easy these days with most vendors comfortably exceeding their rated specs and offering warranties that are 3-5x longer than they used to be.

In a market where you can name a dozen reputable PSU manufacturers and be almost certain that what they make will be fine, there's no real need for a site that's dedicated primarily to calling out fake specs, bluescreen generators, and fire hazards.

My fondness for jonnyguru.com is purely nostalgia, and the fact that we don't need as many PSU reviews now is a testament to the way the PSU industry has changed for the better, in part because of jonnyguru's work 20 years ago.
I don't deny one can find a decent PSU quite easily nowadays, but there are also an influx of "new" PSU brands which could use some vetting through. Case in point, Gigabyte's legendary exploding PSU which looks and sounds good on paper.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Jonnyguru.com will be sorely missed by many; it was an education for me and people were quite patient in explaining things.

yeah it was a great resource. I read all of those reviews... I became quite addicted to the hot testing/ cold testing sections. I have no idea why but I just found it all fascinating.

I don't deny one can find a decent PSU quite easily nowadays, but there are also an influx of "new" PSU brands which could use some vetting through. Case in point, Gigabyte's legendary exploding PSU which looks and sounds good on paper.

we still have a good PSU reviewer here on TPU and of course Steve from GN as two good resources left at least. the industry would be lost without Steve. He deserves to be bigger than Linus.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
TPU and of course Steve from GN as two good resources

I would personally disagree with the latter. In fact I regard anything coming from Steve as nonsense unless he is just regurgitating something Patrick has reviewed for him (mostly cases)

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I would personally disagree with the latter. In fact I regard anything coming from Steve as nonsense unless he is just regurgitating something Patrick has reviewed for him (mostly cases)
Well everyone has to have someone on the stage and Steve's it.

Steve took lessons from Jon himself, so it's pretty fair to consider him up there now.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
How come? Do you have any specific reason to distrust his analyses? Beyond that though, it's rather natural for a channel to have a single presenter for videos even if the review work was done by others on the team.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Steve took lessons from Jon himself, so it's pretty fair to consider him up there now.
He had him on his show once, it hardly makes his a master (much less "up there") which goes into the next answer...
How come? Do you have any specific reason to distrust his analyses? Beyond that though, it's rather natural for a channel to have a single presenter for videos even if the review work was done by others on the team.
A few reasons;
I find him arrogant when he declares other people's work "flawed" yet comes running into PC hardware review segments as a novice but declaring his reviews as the gold standard.
I find he makes mountains out of mole hill issues (mostly to extend his segments, more on that below) yet fails to really look into the issue to see if it even impacts users.
I find his videos far too long and can easily be condensed to five minutes if you remove the hair flipping, the constant use of "ums", and the repetitive dialogue. Now from a business stand point I totally understand the decision of long videos. Youtubers make far more money once their videos pass ten minutes but from the consumer side of watching them, they are painful to me.
The whole TPU issue with him a few years ago could have been handled with a simple statement from him (on air or on his site) instead he makes a 20 minute video so he can make money off of it.
Many of the GN web site reviews are video only now, I get the business decision of this but still sucks as I personally prefer written reviews.

That said the case reviews are excellent in my opinion.

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
the hair flipping
That's just a side effect of long hair. I grew mine out for a year or so and had to constantly push it back so I could see anything. I chopped it short because I had to do stuff in the tech lab (saws, belt sanders, drill press, etc.) for school and when I leaned down to use a tool I could see maybe 1 foot from my feet which was not great.
the constant use of "ums"
I personally don't mind that since I feel it makes the videos more than a talking head. One of the reasons I unsubbed from LTT (I like their forums but am not a fan of the videos) is that everything was scripted and while they do their best to make it seem not just reading a script it's not too great. "um" is just a part of everyday life.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
He had him on his show once, it hardly makes his a master (much less "up there") which goes into the next answer...

A few reasons;
I find him arrogant when he declares other people's work "flawed" yet comes running into PC hardware review segments as a novice but declaring his reviews as the gold standard.
I find he makes mountains out of mole hill issues (mostly to extend his segments, more on that below) yet fails to really look into the issue to see if it even impacts users.
I find his videos far too long and can easily be condensed to five minutes if you remove the hair flipping, the constant use of "ums", and the repetitive dialogue. Now from a business stand point I totally understand the decision of long videos. Youtubers make far more money once their videos pass ten minutes but from the consumer side of watching them, they are painful to me.
The whole TPU issue with him a few years ago could have been handled with a simple statement from him (on air or on his site) instead he makes a 20 minute video so he can make money off of it.
Many of the GN web site reviews are video only now, I get the business decision of this but still sucks as I personally prefer written reviews.

That said the case reviews are excellent in my opinion.
I can understand part of what you're saying, but I also have some issues with your reasoning. The first reason you present is an outright logical fallacy. Inexperience does in no way render one incapable of telling if something is flawed or not. More difficult? Sure. Less likely to know what to look for? Sure. But that's statistics. Some people still manage to analyze things well despite not having much experience with those things in particular. An outside perspective can help you see things in a different light or see past bad conventions. For this to be a problem, you need to demonstrate that their takes are significantly wrong in some way. Also, hasn't GN been running PC hardware reviews for like a decade? Sure, that wasn't their focus in the early years, but calling them inexperienced at this point is rather strange. And whether it's Steve or other team members doing various parts of the work is immaterial to this.

Also, saying he fails to see if issues affect users - how would they do that? Run a survey? Wouldn't they first need to present the problem to do that? And if a bad design gets by due to not breaking anything, is that a reason to not call it out? I'd rather say they have a set of principles and adhere to them. That makes their reviews trustworthy and less biased than most, even if it also at times causes them to overemphasise small elements.

I agree it's a shame that their reviews are often video only, but I never found their written reviews particularly good, so it seems they're just better at audiovisual presentations than written ones. And that's fine, even if it would be great if they did both.

I don't think I remember any GN+TPU thing happening. So it can't have bothered me much.

As for video length etc...Meh. It is what it is. GPU reviews and the like need to present all the data, so they're stuck with that even if it's all very skippable. I skip past 90% of individual game benchmarks in written reviews too, so that's a moot point to me. The videos where they discuss and analyze things tend to spend their time on arguments and looking into issues, which I find worthwhile, even if I might watch the video split into three. A shorter version of those videos would just come off as hyperbolic and poorly argued, which would be far, far worse IMO.

Are they perfect? Obviously not. But among tech reviews today, they're still among the most technically detailed, principled and - crucially! - curious ones out there.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Steve holds the industry accountable with his influence, he is a great asset to our hobby/community imo.

I would not have known about the Gigabyte PSU issues for example if it wasn't for the team HE created to test lots of stuff. Steve is awesome man.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Steve holds the industry accountable with his influence, he is a great asset to our hobby/community imo.

I would not have known about the Gigabyte PSU issues for example if it wasn't for the team HE created to test lots of stuff. Steve is awesome man.
whoa there, that issue was widely reported in (reputable) reviews:

i for one, is grateful for cmaris since OKW/JG stopped writing.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
whoa there, that issue was widely reported in (reputable) reviews:

i for one, is grateful for cmaris since OKW/JG stopped writing.

ok then the Intel debacle a few years ago that Steve reported on. where he went to the review company and sat down with them.

I can keep giving examples if you like.

NZXT, etc.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
ok then the Intel debacle a few years ago that Steve reported on. where he went to the review company and sat down with them.

I can keep giving examples if you like.
the topic here is not some investigative journalism hub bub. when it comes to PSUs, tech jesus is far from the only capable reviewer.

but keep liting candles in your shrine, i understand

Space Lynx

Astronaut
the topic here is not some investigative journalism hub bub. when it comes to PSUs, tech jesus is far from the only capable reviewer.

but keep liting candles in your shrine, i understand

I like the way he presents material... no different than a booktuber, some booktubers I like more than others... wth does it matter which one we watch? lol you go watch yours and I'll go watch mine. its a big world g.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
We still need thorough psu reviews

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
I like the way he presents material... no different than a booktuber, some booktubers I like more than others... wth does it matter which one we watch? lol you go watch yours and I'll go watch mine. its a big world g.
sure, whatever anyone wants to watch is perfectly fine. and GN has some very educational and entertaining videos. but when it comes PSU reviews, then you have to consider GN has done zero of those.

ya know pointing that out doesn't mean i'm trying to throw any shade.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
sure, whatever anyone wants to watch is perfectly fine. and GN has some very educational and entertaining videos. but when it comes PSU reviews, then you have to consider GN has done zero of those.

ya know pointing that out doesn't mean i'm trying to throw any shade.

you apparently don't watch his videos then, because in last few months he mentioned a couple times he has invested heavily in making a new PSU testing space. i don't know if its up and running or not yet. but I do remember him mentioning it, I think he even hired a new guy for it, but not sure on that one.