• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Avary Dishes on Wolfenstein Film

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
In a recent interview with Ain't It Cool News, Avary gave the first details on his upcoming "guys on a mission" WWII action film. Acknowledging the complaint many gamers have concerning the treatment of their beloved game franchises, Avary noted that while the movie will still be about "blowing s*** up, storming bunkers, busting dams, derailing trains, and killing Nazis," it won't strictly adhere to the game's plot.

"Whenever someone whines to me about breaking canon...I remind them that the original book, video game, or poem will ALWAYS exist in its original form for their enjoyment, but that a movie has special needs and compromises that occur due to a variety of real-world constrictions," said Avary. He went on to emphasize that it is more important to be true to the spirit of the character and franchise than it is to adhere to the game's plot.

While light on the specifics, Avary said that he would be blending Wolfenstein's signature larger-than-life style with "a certain quotient of reality." The movie would heavily incorporate the titular chateau during WWII in Europe, though action would also take place in surrounding locations. As for casting, Avary is interested in known European actors for more prominent roles like Dr. Otto Giftmacher and Hilda von Bulow. For the lead role of B.J. Blazkowicz, Avary somewhat cryptically stated, "All one needs to do is look at the box art on the Return to Castle Wolfenstein game and you can see who I see in my mind for the role."

Avary hopes to begin filming Return to Castle Wolfenstein next spring, barring any interference from a looming film-industry strike. It is unclear if the Wolfenstein film's release will be coordinated with that of Raven Software's new Wolfenstein game for the Xbox 360 and PC.

You can read a transcript of the interview here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Avary noted that while the movie will still be about "blowing s*** up, storming bunkers, busting dams, derailing trains, and killing Nazis," it won't strictly adhere to the game's plot.

Translation : I don't have enough money for decent special effects involving the Nazi's use of paranormal experiments, so the movie is going to suck.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Haha...nice translation.

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Yeah, hollywood doesn't need another mediocre WWII movie. If they are going to make it and make it well, the only way to do that is to adhere to the original plot. I actually find the original plot of Return to Castle Wolfenstein to be very intriguing. There actually was a paranormal division in the SS, although they didn't have the successes (or failures if you prefer) that occurred in the game. Also the robotic man, "uber soldats" were very interesting and the tie in of the paranormal with robotics was very unique (although very strange and unbelievable).

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
I would pay to go watch the flick. I could even pin that =Wolf= patch, that came with my pre-ordered collectors metal box edition, to my shirt/jacket when I go watch the film. I wonder how many there would have one of the patches? RTCW is a true classic in my book. I won't be going to the theatre to watch any Doom, Resident Evil, Hitman or prob. any other port, espically Halo. RCTW though, thats a no brainer. Where can I pre-order my opening day, front row seat? :rockout:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
just as long as they don't do to Wolfenstein like what was done to DOOM :mad:

ResEvil, IMO, wasn't really all that bad of a crossover. I like how they kept close to the original style of plot, but focused more on character development in the first movies instead of just focusing on the action . . .

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Damn, seems like all the id games get ruined in the movies....

:banghead:

paul06660

Processor AMD Phenom x6 1090t black edition
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Cooler Master Triple Heatpipe Cooler with Gelid blue fan
Memory 8 gigs GsKill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus Raedeon HD7850
Storage Western Digital Raptor 74gig, Terabyte Seagate SATA 6.0
Display(s) AOC 19" Widescreen
Case Custom modded Black Raidmax case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek HD audio
Power Supply BFG Tech 550GX gold certified
Software Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3dmark 06 score of 19,565
I would like to see if they would incorporate some of Wolfenstein Enemy Terrority.
The level of destruction in that game that can be dealt is just crazy.
The ammount of dynamite, bullets, video camera guided RPG's, flame throwers, and air strikes needed to successfully portray the destruction would be insane. (that is why we have field ops for the weapon stash for an endless ammount of bullets and rockets, and medics to revive us when we are killed. Usually the medics get killed when they revive us, but we in turn kill their killers, but if thats when we dont do a Panzernoob and sacrafice yourself to keep them from "Capture The Old City":D.)
They so have to incorporate spawn killing, as it is my favorite thing to do in that game:D. I am a true fan of Wolfenstien, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, and Enemy Terrority. The Quake 3 arena game engine it is based on is really old, however it produces some of the best physics I have ever seen, even in modern games.
If they are going to make a movie based off the game, they better show all the important parts of the game. This includes team based objectives for Enemy terrority and elements from the story in Return to Castle Wolfenstien. also the exact weapons must be used in the movie as the game:rockout:.
Well I better get back to using my camera guided rocket launcher, as the Nazi's are trying to blow up my bridge.

Xolair

This could certaintly work, if done with a certain humouristic appeal in the background, not too 'seriously' like RTCW was done, in a way. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a great game and the story was unique, fascinating and somewhat great, and the atmosphere..! It doesn't take a genious to figure out that the SS's paranormal examinations could've lead somewhere, so the whole storyline surrounding around these mutants, zombies and ûbersoldats in WW2 doesn't bother me at all.

I've seen reviews about RTCW that told the game was sucky just 'cos of the zombies and whatnot in the game. If you ask me, that's just the lack of imagination, or just plain ''unableness to adapt to something differing out of the ordinary'', which is incredible realism and action in WW2 games. Then, when you turn around the corner, you find some health-packs hanging off from a wall, and Krauts run against the iron sight of your Garand like in a turkey shoot. Then, these games get all the compliments. :nutkick:

RTCW was great, but not just because it was different, but it had nice action too. Firing a Venom-chaingun against the nazis was just plain fun that no other WW2 game could develop. Sure the game could've used a bit less action here and there, maybe some more stealth and more story-development here and there, but I must say, RTCW's been one of my favourite games ever. Way better than any Call of Duty/Medal of Honor will EVER be.