• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Pushes Highest x86 Market Share in History in 1Q2022

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
AMD has been on a roll ever since it launched its first generation Zen core, which brought a much-needed performance and efficiency boost that finally brought a level of competitiveness against Intel's offerings. Years of iterations and design improvements have only increased AMD's value proposition towards consumers and businesses. A testament to that fact is that AMD in Q1 2022 hit its largest market share in history.

According to market analysis firm Mercury Research, AMD's offerings have continued to claw back market share from Intel, despite its strong recovery in performance and efficiency metrics following the debut of the 12th Gen Intel CPU family, Alder Lake. The firm places AMD's overall x86 market share for 1Q 2022 (including IoT and SoCs such as the ones found in the latest gaming consoles) at a record-breaking 27.7%, up 2.1% QoQ and a staggering 7% YoY. The server side of the equation has seen less stellar gains, but still increased by 0.9% QoQ, and 2.7% YoY, achieving a high of 11.6% share against Intel's decades-long market stranglehold.

AMD's desktop CPU share did take a small hit compared to last year, according to the publication. Likely caused by Intel's market and technological resurgence with Alder Lake, AMD still achieved a 2.1% market share increase QoQ, placing it within 1% of its 1Q2021 high of 19.3% market share. Mobile has seen the seocnd largest increase in AMD's market share, with the company achieving a 0.9% increase QoQ (up to 22.5% share) and a significant 4.4% increase YoY.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
OK, I was expecting a small regression for AMD marketshare on desktop because of non-K Alder Lake and cheaper B660 motherboards.

I guess it's all still relative and once you factor in motherboard, CPU, and cooler Alder Lake is still worse peformance/$ at almost every price point.

ARF

Well, I read that Raptor Lake will have higher IPC, higher clocks and more cores than the Zen 4 Raphael.
Raptor Lake: 24 cores (8 P and 16 E) / 32 threads;
Raphael: 16 cores (16 P) / 32 threads.

People even say that Zen 5 will be the last Zen because it is already an outdated micro-architecture, and AMD will eventually license ARM cores for Apple chiplets...

D

Deleted member 24505

72% is still a hell of a market share to have. Well done AMD but they still have a double everest mountain to climb. Intel would have to make a major fuck up to lose that market share. I thought AMD would have gobbled into Intel's server share though with their threadrippers. Maybe a lot of business users just don't like to change or it would be a major headache moving from Intel to AMD.

Whatever the perf/$ is, i don't regret picking ADL. It never cost me anything and at the time ADL seemed like a pretty good performing setup. I am not adverse to switching to Zen 5 though, but probably not going to be a beta tester like i did with ADL though even though i have had zero problems with ADL

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
OK, I was expecting a small regression for AMD marketshare on desktop because of non-K Alder Lake and cheaper B660 motherboards.

I guess it's all still relative and once you factor in motherboard, CPU, and cooler Alder Lake is still worse peformance/$ at almost every price point.
Probably Alder Lake based offerings in laptops and desktops from OEMs are (much) more expensive than Ryzen based offerings, making it difficult for the majority of consumers to prefer those. Also Ryzen brand is still strong and most consumers probably don't have a clue about what exactly Alder Lake is. Also what we all probably understood when Ryzen came out is that the DIY market is a single digit part of the whole market, so even if all individuals building their own PCs where going to Alder Lake, the change in market share wouldn't have been as big as probably expected.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
72% is still a hell of a market share to have. Well done AMD but they still have a double everest mountain to climb. Intel would have to make a major fuck up to lose that market share. I thought AMD would have gobbled into Intel's server share though with their threadrippers. Maybe a lot of business users just don't like to change or it would be a major headache moving from Intel to AMD.

Whatever the perf/$ is, i don't regret picking ADL. It never cost me anything and at the time ADL seemed like a pretty good performing setup. I am not adverse to switching to Zen 5 though, but probably not going to be a beta tester like i did with ADL though even though i have had zero problems with ADL
In the server space there is extra hurdles for AMD, such as support on BSD and linux kernels and support on enterprise software. I know e.g. when I was using my 2600X on ESXI the chip was been gimped quite significantly after I seen a large boost moving to proxmox. In addition early version of AGESA had poor support for enterprise type features.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

In the server space there is extra hurdles for AMD, such as support on BSD and linux kernels and support on enterprise software. I know e.g. when I was using my 2600X on ESXI the chip was been chipped quite significantly after I seen a large boost moving to proxmox. In addition early version of AGESA had poor support for enterprise type features.

Server side is probably where Intel make most money too

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Maybe a lot of business users just don't like to change or it would be a major headache moving from Intel to AMD
IF its not broke, dont fix it. Its more likely businesses that might switch over, will wait until their current servers are EOL or blown up dead. That speaks to Intel reliability even if it does cost more to keep them running.

ARF

IF its not broke, dont fix it. Its more likely businesses that might switch over, will wait until their current servers are EOL or blown up dead. That speaks to Intel reliability even if it does cost more to keep them running.

The truth is that AMD is screwed because these customers refuse to switch over to AMD's line because of TCO, and that the CPU is only one element in the whole ecosystem. And these corrupted customers are well paid in this ecosystem, and technically locked in it. Or in other words - they say there is no alternative for them.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
The truth is that AMD is screwed because these customers refuse to switch over to AMD's line because of TCO, and that the CPU is only one element in the whole ecosystem. And these corrupted customers are well paid in this ecosystem, and technically locked in it. Or in other words - they say there is no alternative for them.
Yea I can see that. I recall Intel having made long term contracts that 'assisted' in that lock.

Its interesting you call them corrupt customers, so they're in the Fanboi category?:D

ARF

Yea I can see that. I recall Intel having made long term contracts that 'assisted' in that lock.

Its interesting you call them corrupt customers, so they're in the Fanboi category?:D

Corrupt means they take money illegally, under the table, without proper competitions in order to choose who will supply them. It is like everything is decided in advance and AMD has no chance no matter how great products it has...

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Corrupt means they take money illegally, under the table, without proper competitions in order to choose who will supply them. It is like everything is decided in advance and AMD has no chance no matter how great products it has...
Yea, and thats why many IT departments seem to always disagree with Corporate management.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Yea, and thats why many IT departments seem to always disagree with Corporate management.
Don't forget consultant kickbacks and exclusive partner bonuses.
All that disgusts me, as an enterprise customer.

AMD doesn't need to "dethrone" Intel - they have always been a secondary choice. AMD simply needs to maintain enough market share to continue revenues for R&D to keep a compelling option on the market, and keep Intel from pulling dirty tricks like they did a few years ago.

Even though 12th Gen Intel is a great product, AMD products are still competitive, which helps for mindshare. AMD is no longer seen as the sub-quality brand, and is getting more visibility in pre-built systems and getting put in higher-end premium products. This all bodes well for the industry overall. If AMD keeps its momentum, there may be even more parity in the market, which of course will drive innovation. For us the consumers, this is a win!

As far as the server side goes, minds are much more closed to options in that space. Any growth by AMD can be seen as a win for the company. While it may take a long time, it could be a matter of one major adoption for the floodgates to open. AMD will have to prove they can provide the units required though, and since they are tied to fabs that are currently operating at capacity and cannot easily ramp up production, it will likely be some time before they can make serious moves.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Well AMD are making gains in the server space, just slower.

With the energy crisis in Europe, I expect it may accelerate as AMD is more energy efficient.

A VPS provider I use is moving their entire stock to AMD. Hetzner also increasing AMD presence as well.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
I work for an MSP and all of our Sales reps and older engineers still believe Intel is the best in the server market so they wont even consider AMD when making new builds for customers. That long standing Intel bias is going to be hard to break.

higher clocks and more cores than the Zen 4 Raphael.
Maybe higher clocks but not more cores, when Genoa is rumored to have 96 (128?) cores at the top end no way desktop chips top out at only 16 unless of course all of them are bundled with IGP ala Intel :shadedshu:

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
Well, I read that Raptor Lake will have higher IPC, higher clocks and more cores than the Zen 4 Raphael.

People even say that Zen 5 will be the last Zen because it is already an outdated micro-architecture, and AMD will eventually license ARM cores for Apple chiplets...
what???

Yea, Alder Lake is really not much to write home about. In the all important PPW category, Intel is still a good bit behind AMD. Alder lake uses significantly more power than AMD's offerings, so Intel is still trying to best AMD in that category. I don't think this AMD has any plans to slow down long enough to let Intel catch up, especially in the all-important server CPU category. With the K7, AMD leapfrogged Intel, technically, but after the K7/A64/Opteron had no further plans to execute. But this AMD is much different, imo. They have leapfrogged Intel again, technically, but they've got a great roadmap ahead and so far for the past several years AMD's execution has been just about perfect...Intel is big enough and slothful enough to waste a lot of time and money and still come out alright, but if AMD keeps up its present rate of technical growth and production node improvements, it will get progressively more difficult for Intel to top AMD. I love to watch this melodrama unfold...;) I want Intel to stay in the game, of course, because I want this competition to continue to drive innovation and development. I mean it sure seems as if Intel requires AMD to bust its chops every now and then or otherwise Intel is clueless as to what it's roadmap should be. That old monopolistic thinking is like a lead weight on Intel's development efforts. Intel spends a lot of money on R&D, but what good is that if you wind up with little to nothing to show for it? AMD is putting Intel's "feet" to the fire, and I think that will be very good for Intel moving ahead.

RDNA3 and Zen 4 coming this year is an indication of things to come. We get some hints in Lisa Su's remarks that she expects 2022 to be their best year yet. So far, she's been right on the money and AMD has executed flawlessly. We won't have too much longer to wait. I'll be sitting pat on my AM4 3900X & 6900 XT, though, for a while. I may update a CPU, maybe.

I remember reading an article from one of AMD's top engineers about 9 months ago....And he was uber excited about Zen 5 - Which he described as a "Game Changer". He didn't even mention Zen 4....Which would indicate how confident he was in Zen 5.

D

Deleted member 24505

Yea, Alder Lake is really not much to write home about. In the all important PPW category, Intel is still a good bit behind AMD. Alder lake uses significantly more power than AMD's offerings, so Intel is still trying to best AMD in that category. I don't think this AMD has any plans to slow down long enough to let Intel catch up, especially in the all-important server CPU category. With the K7, AMD leapfrogged Intel, technically, but after the K7/A64/Opteron had no further plans to execute. But this AMD is much different, imo. They have leapfrogged Intel again, technically, but they've got a great roadmap ahead and so far for the past several years AMD's execution has been just about perfect...Intel is big enough and slothful enough to waste a lot of time and money and still come out alright, but if AMD keeps up its present rate of technical growth and production node improvements, it will get progressively more difficult for Intel to top AMD. I love to watch this melodrama unfold...;) I want Intel to stay in the game, of course, because I want this competition to continue to drive innovation and development. I mean it sure seems as if Intel requires AMD to bust its chops every now and then or otherwise Intel is clueless as to what it's roadmap should be. That old monopolistic thinking is like a lead weight on Intel's development efforts. Intel spends a lot of money on R&D, but what good is that if you wind up with little to nothing to show for it? AMD is putting Intel's "feet" to the fire, and I think that will be very good for Intel moving ahead.

RDNA3 and Zen 4 coming this year is an indication of things to come. We get some hints in Lisa Su's remarks that she expects 2022 to be their best year yet. So far, she's been right on the money and AMD has executed flawlessly. We won't have too much longer to wait. I'll be sitting pat on my AM4 3900X & 6900 XT, though, for a while. I may update a CPU, maybe.
Intel still lead both server and home CPU market shares, so good luck with that.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
CPUs usually last a long time without issue. It's more the PSUs, mobos etc. that break first. As for running cost...............well it was more the upfront cost when EPYC first came out, for the same performance Xeon it was easily double the price.

All that aside, I think it would be better for everyone if AMD/Intel both hovered around 50/50 market share for cpus consumer and enterprise.

I don't understand the numbers here. 11.6% server, 18.3% desktop, 22.5% mobile, but 27.7% overall?

What is the fourth segment that makes up the difference, is it game consoles?