• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Pushes Highest x86 Market Share in History in 1Q2022

Yea, and thats why many IT departments seem to always disagree with Corporate management.
This, i work in IT and i mantain our windoes azure pack environment, i compared amd epyc rome to intel and it was sig ificantly cheaper while faster so i convinced my managers to go for amd, since then i have ordered around 70-80 servers, i tried showing some colleagues real benchmark comparisons and explain that they could save a lot of money but some people are so ignorant, even if you confront them with facts they refuse to understand, but in the last year i noticed lots of teams in my company started ordering amd as well, adoption in enterprises takes time (apart from Facebook and the big ones) companies don't upgrade every year.
I can tell you my Dell R6515 run like a clock, i only had one server with faulty dimm and motherboard was replaced, that is it.
Hosting around 3k vms with no issues.

After 10 years of doing nothing (after taking over ATI) + 5 years of focusing on crypto currency and AMD has still 1/4 of the market! that is just being extremely lucky.

Last edited:

ARF

This, i work in IT and i mantain our windoes azure pack environment, i compared amd epyc rome to intel and it was sig ificantly cheaper while faster so i convinced my managers to go for amd, since then i have ordered around 70-80 servers, i tried showing some colleagues real benchmark comparisons and explain that they could save a lot of money but some people are so ignorant, even if you confront them with facts they refuse to understand, but in the last year i noticed lots of teams in my company started ordering amd as well, adoption in enterprises takes time (apart from Facebook and the big ones) companies don't upgrade every year.
I can tell you my Dell R6515 run like a clock, i only had one server with faulty dimm and motherboard was replaced, that is it.
Great work, man. I hope more people are like you. :toast: :clap:

I don't understand the numbers here. 11.6% server, 18.3% desktop, 22.5% mobile, but 27.7% overall?

What is the fourth segment that makes up the difference, is it game consoles?
All these numbers are estimates. I judge by AMD's products, their execution, and their revenue and profits, basically. But "share" numbers? It's always an estimates game. Fact is that none of us know how these numbers are compiled, and what $$$ may be behind the posting of such numbers. Kind of like the Nielsen TV ratings in the US...;) Often I''ll see Intel IGPs compared to discrete GPU sales from AMD and nVidia--that sort of thing.

ARF

All these numbers are estimates.

As far as I understand, these numbers are not estimates but real numbers which show the shipments for the quarter. The share of the shipments during that period.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
VIA: 0%. Does that company still exist?

I don't understand the numbers here. 11.6% server, 18.3% desktop, 22.5% mobile, but 27.7% overall?

What is the fourth segment that makes up the difference, is it game consoles?
The breakdowns specifically mention ‘excluding IOT’. The top number is the entire x86 market (IOT and SOC).

Intel is outshipping amd.. amd will not surpass intel if they keep buying from one shop (tsmc)

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
AMD's gains are starting to decrease.

D

Deleted member 24505

Intel is outshipping amd.. amd will not surpass intel if they keep buying from one shop (tsmc)

It's the only option they have. They should have invested in their own fabs years ago, this is where Intels advantage is, even if they are not doing so well atm it's the having them that is the big advantage. When they do get it sorted AMD will be in real trouble.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Well, I read that Raptor Lake will have higher IPC, higher clocks and more cores than the Zen 4 Raphael.
Raptor Lake: 24 cores (8 P and 16 E) / 32 threads;
Raphael: 16 cores (16 P) / 32 threads.

People even say that Zen 5 will be the last Zen because it is already an outdated micro-architecture, and AMD will eventually license ARM cores for Apple chiplets...
At least AMD improves Zen with every generation when Intel was just adding more cores and clocks to Skylake for years.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF
Well done ! That is great work to convince all these old Intel brainwashed people that AMD EPYC totally dominates in all areas. It has more cores, faster performance, more power efficient, far cheaper per performance , basically its just heaps better! That they refuse to even consider it a possibility, shows how bad it can be.
Totally ignorant and biased. Unfortunately there are a lot of people like that!

It's the only option they have. They should have invested in their own fabs years ago, this is where Intels advantage is, even if they are not doing so well atm it's the having them that is the big advantage. When they do get it sorted AMD will be in real trouble.
The irony on that is you are admitting Intel is struggling with their fabs! How do they fix that? Use their direct rivals better fabs (TSMC) and starve out their main competition (AMD) and tell everyone how good they will be in 3 years time when their fabs are as good as the ones they are using from their main rival (TSMC).
Looks kinda silly when you think about it!
. .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Well done ! That is great work to convince all these old Intel brainwashed people that AMD EPYC totally dominates in all areas. It has more cores, faster performance, more power efficient, far cheaper per performance , basically its just heaps better! That they refuse to even consider it a possibility, shows how bad it can be.
Totally ignorant and biased. Unfortunately there are a lot of people like that!

The irony on that is you are admitting Intel is struggling with their fabs! How do they fix that? Use their direct rivals better fabs (TSMC) and starve out their main competition (AMD) and tell everyone how good they will be in 3 years time when their fabs are as good as the ones they are using from their main rival (TSMC).
Looks kinda silly when you think about it!
. .

I will quote myself. When they do get it sorted AMD will be in real trouble.

They are doing better than AMDs fabs are they not? Intel has them, that IS their advantage. As i have said eons ago, imo they are using TSMC as a stop gap till they get their own processes sorted otherwise why would they pour money into buying from TSMC? Intel will get it sorted at some point, there is no doubt about that.

They are doing better than AMDs fabs are they not? Intel has them, that IS their advantage. As i have said eons ago, imo they are using TSMC as a stop gap till they get their own processes sorted otherwise why would they pour money into buying from TSMC? Intel will get it sorted at some point, there is no doubt about that.
We shall see, in time !

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
Do you not realise where Global Foundries came from?

AMD had its own fabs same as intel. But it was Broke and it was just about to release Bulldozer. So it solds its fabs to keep itself afloat. If it didnt we would all be running intel processors only with Quad cores still ruling the roost as their top end offerings.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
How could overall CPU share (27%) be higher than EVERY single CPU type market share? (highest was 22%, dekstop)

IF its not broke, dont fix it. Its more likely businesses that might switch over, will wait until their current servers are EOL or blown up dead. That speaks to Intel reliability even if it does cost more to keep them running.
There is something fishy about how major OEMs downplay AMD offerings (Dell doesn't have it at all).

DIY market is only about 16% of the CPU market, as far as I remember.

Curiously, on the server side of things, clouds in particular, things got moving.
Azure, for instance, is a big deal, they nearly match AWS at market share (and keep growing).

ARF

How could overall CPU share (27%) be higher than EVERY single CPU type market share? (highest was 22%, dekstop)

The overall (27%) includes something else which is not stated elsewhere. :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
After 10 years of doing nothing (after taking over ATI) + 5 years of focusing on crypto currency and AMD has still 1/4 of the market! that is just being extremely lucky.
You are confusing gpus and cpus.

It's stated right in it. IoT.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
So, IoT eh? Wouldn't count it in, honestly, very misleading.

Lots of reports of late have Intel pouring in billions of $$$$ into TSMC to get bucketloads of 3nm cpus and gpus . Dont say much for their superior fabs !
Its all about they will be better blah blah blah in 3 years time. Well come back when it is!
I'm sick to death of hearing how they will be good then, in 3 years time or what ever.
Alder Lake is good, brag all you want, the rest of it SHUT UP its all BS .

D

Deleted member 24505

Lots of reports of late have Intel pouring in billions of $$$$ into TSMC to get bucketloads of 3nm cpus and gpus . Dont say much for their superior fabs !
Its all about they will be better blah blah blah in 3 years time. Well come back when it is!
I'm sick to death of hearing how they will be good then, in 3 years time or what ever.
Alder Lake is good, brag all you want, the rest of it SHUT UP its all BS .

The point is, Intel HAVE FABS, AMD do not, how much would it cost for AMD to build them and get them running with qualified staff? Intel DO have an advantage even if they are not doing great with them atm. At some point they just might crack it and AMD will be in trouble.