• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 15th-Generation Arrow Lake-S Could Abandon Hyper-Threading Technology

Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120
Memory 32GB at 6000/30
Video Card(s) 7900 XT soon to be replaced by 4080 Super
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB
Display(s) 1440p 360 Hz IPS + 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 165 Hz IPS ... Hopefully going OLED this year
Safe for thier wallet

Nope... Linux dominates servers
For desktop? No

Linux dominates servers yeah, but desktop, Linux is at a sub 1% marketshare, even MacOS is much higher but Windows dominate by 90-95% or so

I use Arch Linux and Debi for my own servers, but for desktop I'd not be touching it for sure

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
For desktop? No

Linux dominates servers yeah, but desktop, Linux is at a sub 1% marketshare, even MacOS is much higher but Windows dominate by 90-95% or so

I use Arch Linux and Debi for my own servers, but for desktop I'd not be touching it for sure
Try 76% 72% if you actually tried to find numbers. Linux is closer to 4% and MacOS at just over 16%

For the server market it's more like 84% for *nix like systems as seen here.

You seem to have an impoverished idea of what the market actually looks like. Next time, do some research before spouting baseless claims.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120
Memory 32GB at 6000/30
Video Card(s) 7900 XT soon to be replaced by 4080 Super
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB
Display(s) 1440p 360 Hz IPS + 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 165 Hz IPS ... Hopefully going OLED this year
Try 76% 72% if you actually tried to find numbers. Linux is closer to 4% and MacOS at just over 16%

For the server market it's more like 84% for *nix like systems as seen here.

You seem to have an impoverished idea of what the market actually looks like. Next time, do some research before spouting baseless claims.
Talking about desktop OS marketshare in the enterprise segment.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Talking about desktop OS marketshare in the enterprise segment.
That's the first line, bub. 72% is the desktop number. Also, I have a business provided Macbook Pro, so does the rest of the team I manage. In fact, I've had a Mac provided by my previous other 2 jobs as well over the last 13 years. I haven't had a Windows machine provided by my job during that entire time except for one case where I was allowed (and did,) run Linux on an HP Spectre.

If you're going to challenge that, then produce some sources like I did because I can't find anything that supports your claim.

Last edited:
I don't see this as big of a deal as it appears to be. Intel may be doing it simply for security and/or power and/or performance reasons and throwing more E-Cores to compensate. It isn't going to suddenly change the ecosystem where multi-threaded tech is so pervasive, and even a unique marketing feature of some boutique chips from the likes of IBM with 4-way and 8-way SMT (which IIRC, still have considerable value for the fields it's targeted at). Even ARM has started shifting towards multi-threading, starting with the Cortex-A65AE, which it says was needed in order to compete in certain markets and plans to expand upon.

Conversely, AMD already has the "compact core" concept down with the Zen 4c, while still having considerable performance due to not needing to rewrite schedulers for. So if SMT was disabled on those, they'd still have a reasonably competitive edge. Moreso, if they tweak the design further to omit SMT in favor of more speed.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview
That's the first line, bub. 72% is the desktop number. Also, I have a business provided Macbook Pro, so does the rest of the team I manage. In fact, I've had a Mac provided by my previous other 2 jobs as well over the last 13 years. I haven't had a Windows machine provided by my job during that entire time except for one case where I was allowed (and did,) run Linux on an HP Spectre.

<snip>
Same here. Every team I've been on since 2008 or so has been exclusively Mac Pros or Macbook Pros. I work for a Fortune 50 in the US.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
well with music production less and less ppl are using windows and to me that's enterprise and professional use. I use Bitwig studio on Linux. Many ppl are switching to linux or mac for any creative work.

Windows is terrible for audio work the dpc latency is way too high, the OS is too bloated and way too janky. Linux is far lower latency on even the same systems.

My laptop (specs in sig) has iffy bitwig performance in windows compared to Linux. Same projects even.

Most creatives are on mac or linux cuz microsoft won't get thier shit together and stop making it so bloated and laggy!

oh and another thing to add about intel.....

When I was hunting for a dell latitude or precision laptop I noticed tons of 4 core only systems and these were 7th and 8th and 9th gen i5/7s. So they've been nudging hyperthreading away for a while now, Same with Lenovo too... Also a ton of xeon processors are 4c or 8c only too... no HT

Last edited:
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
:rolleyes: Just go back to Intel, no one cares. You are arguing about a 2% difference in performance that no one really notices most of the time.
It isn't as simple as 2%. Some games benefit more from the larger cache while others benefit more from Intels speed. Looking at TechPowerUp's most recent CPU review shows the 7800x3d 5.7% faster on average than the 14900k. In CyberPunk 2077 the 7800x3d is 25.4% faster than the 14900k on average. In CS:GO the 14900k is 11.9% faster than the 7800x3d on average.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
oh and another thing to add about intel.....

When I was hunting for a dell latitude or precision laptop I noticed tons of 4 core only systems and these were 7th and 8th and 9th gen i5/7s. So they've been nudging hyperthreading away for a while now, Same with Lenovo too... Also a ton of xeon processors are 4c or 8c only too... no HT
Those were lower end CPUs. (but 9th gen on laptop all had HT) Back then, Intel disabled HT for product segmentation, not directly comparable to what's happening here where they are looking for an alternative. Intel is actually in try hard mode right now, the current refresh are not laziness, but more a mean to not let AMD pull too much ahead while they fix their internal issues and delays.

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
It isn't as simple as 2%. Some games benefit more from the larger cache while others benefit more from Intels speed. Looking at TechPowerUp's most recent CPU review shows the 7800x3d 5.7% faster on average than the 14900k. In CyberPunk 2077 the 7800x3d is 25.4% faster than the 14900k on average. In CS:GO the 14900k is 11.9% faster than the 7800x3d on average.

Imo the main advantage of intel over AMD is you biuld it and it just works, which is in some cases not the case with AMD, with the constant updates required to make it work stably, and with intel it is better memory compatability. If gaming is not your main use, then surely these things are more important than the x% better gaming performance.

A 16 core CPU with no HT would be good for everything. HT in some cases is only to make a lower core CPU seem better as the avg non tech competent user will not understand what HT is and just see the numbers.

Now for most home users there is really no need to have a CPU with more than 16 cores(no HT) for gaming or most other general home use requirements. If you need something for any work or productivity related use then you should be using a more productivity aimed CPU/PC with a xeon or threadripper.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I'm curious to see when proper workstation motherboards will arrive for this new platform.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a top priority.

For reference, with Alder Lake arriving November 2021, and W680 launching Q1 2022, the first motherboards still weren't available by early March 2022 (Supermicro and ASRock), and the excellent Asus Pro WS W680-ACE was only announced November 7th 2022, that's over 1 year after the CPUs launched. :(

Well for gaming and specific applications, sure.
But as a desktop, Linux isn't lacking at all. Linux is much more responsive, stable and not to mention configurable. For a development setup it's outstanding. After over 16 years of doing most of my development on Linux, having to use Windows at work is a huge step backwards.

Windows is certainly dominating the consumer market, but not so much the enterprise market. I don't think there is a precise metric for this, and those web traffic analyzers most certainly under-sample enterprises heavily, many of which can't even browse the web freely, or are hidden behind proxys etc. But given the fact that brands like HP, Lenovo and even Dell have offered more and more Linux options, so clearly there is demand. I wouldn't be surprised if the real market share for Linux in the enterprise desktop space is >10%, and Mac even higher. Especially workstations for CAD/modelling, simulations, sysadmin and increasingly development Linux is a serious contender.

From time to time I still hear about companies where thousands of computers got infected from someone like a secretary opening an email, I think we all know what kind of OS they are running… :rolleyes:

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I'm curious to see when proper workstation motherboards will arrive for this new platform.

For reference, with Alder Lake arriving November 2021, and W680 launching Q1 2022, the first motherboards still weren't available by early March 2022 (Supermicro and ASRock), and the excellent Asus Pro WS W680-ACE was only announced November 7th 2022, that's over 1 year after the CPUs launched. :(

But as a desktop, Linux isn't lacking at all. Linux is much more responsive, stable and not to mention configurable. For a development setup it's outstanding. After over 16 years of doing most of my development on Linux, having to use Windows at work is a huge step backwards.

Windows is certainly dominating the consumer market, but not so much the enterprise market. I don't think there is a precise metric for this, and those web traffic analyzers most certainly under-sample enterprises heavily, many of which can't even browse the web freely, or are hidden behind proxys etc. But given the fact that brands like HP, Lenovo and even Dell have offered more and more Linux options, so clearly there is demand. I wouldn't be surprised if the real market share for Linux in the enterprise desktop space is >10%, and Mac even higher. Especially workstations for CAD/modelling, simulations, sysadmin and increasingly development Linux is a serious contender.

From time to time I still hear about companies where thousands of computers got infected from someone like a secretary opening an email, I think we all know what kind of OS they are running… :rolleyes:
you can't customize windows to look like this either lol

Screenshot from 2024-01-23 15-57-36.png

a Lot of dell workstations have linux as an option and even a choice of 2 to 3 distros as well... and for consumers they got the xps dev edition and for biz they have a few latitudes with linux options.

and the rest of thier systems like 98% is ubuntu certified to run linux so you know everything works, my dells are all running linux nicely.

same for me with audio production! Linux has way lower latency and is way more responsive and the audio is definitely better too...

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Sure, if pink is your choice then by all means! :D
I go the other way, gnome classic with as little bloat as possible to make everything snappy.

But I was actually thinking much wider in terms of customization, as Linux allows you to customize virtually everything; to fit your workflow.

People haven't really tried Linux until they've embraced the terminal, preferably a dropdown one (and possibly a terminal multiplexer), and all kinds of goodies to speed up their workflow. This is especially relevant for developers and sysadmins.
I've trained a bunch of developers, both fresh and "seniors", in using Linux, terminal, git, grep, etc., and those who dive into it really get super efficient, even though they all end up with their own "quirky" workflow. (I of course use a lot of GUI tools to, but the terminal is a large part of the workflow.)
It's fascinating to see how much faster and efficient people get when they get out of the typical "Visual Studio" or "Eclipse" way of doing things through heavy slow GUIs. I try to use whatever gives me the control I want and the information I want, so I can stay in "the zone" and not be distracted. :cool:

same for me with audio production! Linux has way lower latency and is way more responsive and the audio is definitely better too...
For sure, not to mention faster IO in general. What annoys me is the typing lag on Windows, I have to slow down to avoid a lot of typos. It even sometimes enters the characters in the wrong order if I do it fast enough.

-----

Luckily, Intel systems have generally worked well at launch with Linux. I know Bulldozer, Zen 1 and Zen 2 had some issues, but I haven't seen any on my Zen 3. Granted I didn't buy that at launch, but I haven't heard anything regarding Zen 3 and 4 like with the previous iterations at launch.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Sure, if pink is your choice then by all means! :D
I go the other way, gnome classic with as little bloat as possible to make everything snappy.

But I was actually thinking much wider in terms of customization, as Linux allows you to customize virtually everything; to fit your workflow.

People haven't really tried Linux until they've embraced the terminal, preferably a dropdown one (and possibly a terminal multiplexer), and all kinds of goodies to speed up their workflow. This is especially relevant for developers and sysadmins.
I've trained a bunch of developers, both fresh and "seniors", in using Linux, terminal, git, grep, etc., and those who dive into it really get super efficient, even though they all end up with their own "quirky" workflow. (I of course use a lot of GUI tools to, but the terminal is a large part of the workflow.)
It's fascinating to see how much faster and efficient people get when they get out of the typical "Visual Studio" or "Eclipse" way of doing things through heavy slow GUIs. I try to use whatever gives me the control I want and the information I want, so I can stay in "the zone" and not be distracted. :cool:

For sure, not to mention faster IO in general. What annoys me is the typing lag on Windows, I have to slow down to avoid a lot of typos. It even sometimes enters the characters in the wrong order if I do it fast enough.

-----

Luckily, Intel systems have generally worked well at launch with Linux. I know Bulldozer, Zen 1 and Zen 2 had some issues, but I haven't seen any on my Zen 3. Granted I didn't buy that at launch, but I haven't heard anything regarding Zen 3 and 4 like with the previous iterations at launch.
yeah I can have so much info on the bottom bar to where I can just take a quick peak at stuff and not have to fiddle w menus too. I also can have stuff easily on hotkeys of stuff I type out a lot even terminal commands and such. I type my system specs, album links, and other things a lot and rather than copy n paste from text files or URLs I can have hotkeys for all of it

it's so easy to do that too...

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
If gaming is not your main use, then surely these things are more important than the x% better gaming performance.
This is what I am saying. It is not as simple as 2%. It depends on the application you want the best performance for. There are applications that favor X3d and applications that favor intel.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Imo the main advantage of intel over AMD is you biuld it and it just works, which is in some cases not the case with AMD, with the constant updates required to make it work stably, and with intel it is better memory compatability. If gaming is not your main use, then surely these things are more important than the x% better gaming performance.

A 16 core CPU with no HT would be good for everything. HT in some cases is only to make a lower core CPU seem better as the avg non tech competent user will not understand what HT is and just see the numbers.

Now for most home users there is really no need to have a CPU with more than 16 cores(no HT) for gaming or most other general home use requirements. If you need something for any work or productivity related use then you should be using a more productivity aimed CPU/PC with a xeon or threadripper.
I don't totally agree, a Xeon/TR platforms are overkill for some type of work. Dell, HP and Lenovo are also selling workstation with core CPUs for that reason.

View attachment 331281
You can, it just requires more efforts, and windows might break it at each update :D. The terminal is the only thing where Microsoft officially allow a deep visual modification
1706162999587.png

1706163680119.png

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
I don't totally agree, a Xeon/TR platforms are overkill for some type of work. Dell, HP and Lenovo are also selling workstation with core CPUs for that reason.

You can, it just requires more efforts, and windows might break it at each update :D. The terminal is the only thing where Microsoft officially allow a deep visual modification
View attachment 331329
View attachment 331332
that would be a lot of work to get windows like that for sure.

had someone from another forum say intel is partaking in shrinkflation for CPUS.... that's a thought,

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
While it's true that HT is heavily workload dependent, and for most software its benefit is not that high, there are ones that do scale well. Try running a 7-zip benchmark on a modern (Zen/Alder Lake and newer) CPU. My 5800X is able to achieve almost 100% scaling in decompression.
Thats right and this is why SMT is much more superior then HT is or soon to be was.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
No not exactly, they do a similar thing but SMT does it better! and without the holes.....
HT is SMT. Hyper-Threading is Intel's marketing name for their SMT implementation.

HT is SMT. Hyper-Threading is Intel's marketing name for their SMT implementation.
No not exactly, Because Intel uses a 'port' design where floating point and integer instructions can only be issued in different clock cycles per port, whereas Ryzen has ten dedicated execution pipelines.
It also has more execution pipelines, period. Haswell (and probably Skylake as well) has three scheduler ports for ALU & FPU operations. Each of those ports has dedicated pathways for different instructions.

On Haswell, the unified scheduler can actually hold 60 entries which are pending execution (waiting for data), Skylake upgraded that to 97 entries. Ryzen holds 14 dedicated entries per ALU/AGU pipeline. Floating point is treated like a co-processor in Ryzen and is largely decoupled via a large 96-entry (IIRC) scheduler feeding four flexible pipelines. Ryzen can have 180 entries in the scheduler queues - almost double Skylake. This was clearly done to mitigate Intel's patented unified scheduler advantage (which allows getting results back to dependent operations very quickly) while allowing the FPU to work freely.

Sometimes this situation benefits Intel, sometimes it benefits Ryzen. For Intel, if code is running heavily on a small set of instructions (with relevant memory ops), then you might have 60~97 ops in the scheduler all pertaining to the same task, each finding its way into an execution pipeline efficiently as data is found (a definite IPC advantage in these scenarios is seen, but these are relatively rare situations in natural code - this happens with processor-specific optimizations). On Ryzen, you have to have pipelines with the necessary support and use that specific pipeline's scheduling queue, which can only hold 14 entries. This is why Ryzen's ALUs and AGUs are made to be extremely flexible while Intel's pipelines are very purpose-built.

Ryzen can do four adds, shifts, LEAs, and many many other common operations in each and every cycle while Intel's best can only do three - and frequently fewer. Intel focuses on getting into and out of the core - a full half of Skylake's scheduler ports are dedicated for memory operations, whereas AMD only has two pipelines dedicated for memory operations.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
No not exactly, Because Intel uses a 'port' design where floating point and integer instructions can only be issued in different clock cycles per port, whereas Ryzen has ten dedicated execution pipelines.
It also has more execution pipelines, period. Haswell (and probably Skylake as well) has three scheduler ports for ALU & FPU operations. Each of those ports has dedicated pathways for different instructions.

On Haswell, the unified scheduler can actually hold 60 entries which are pending execution (waiting for data), Skylake upgraded that to 97 entries. Ryzen holds 14 dedicated entries per ALU/AGU pipeline. Floating point is treated like a co-processor in Ryzen and is largely decoupled via a large 96-entry (IIRC) scheduler feeding four flexible pipelines. Ryzen can have 180 entries in the scheduler queues - almost double Skylake. This was clearly done to mitigate Intel's patented unified scheduler advantage (which allows getting results back to dependent operations very quickly) while allowing the FPU to work freely.

Sometimes this situation benefits Intel, sometimes it benefits Ryzen. For Intel, if code is running heavily on a small set of instructions (with relevant memory ops), then you might have 60~97 ops in the scheduler all pertaining to the same task, each finding its way into an execution pipeline efficiently as data is found (a definite IPC advantage in these scenarios is seen, but these are relatively rare situations in natural code - this happens with processor-specific optimizations). On Ryzen, you have to have pipelines with the necessary support and use that specific pipeline's scheduling queue, which can only hold 14 entries. This is why Ryzen's ALUs and AGUs are made to be extremely flexible while Intel's pipelines are very purpose-built.

Ryzen can do four adds, shifts, LEAs, and many many other common operations in each and every cycle while Intel's best can only do three - and frequently fewer. Intel focuses on getting into and out of the core - a full half of Skylake's scheduler ports are dedicated for memory operations, whereas AMD only has two pipelines dedicated for memory operations.

How would each of the different cpu scheduling governors in Linux treat this?? Wonder how different each acts in ryzen vs intel of the same gen

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive

True enough, but these are all implementation details. What AMD does is not more or less SMT than approach Intel or ARM or others have taken.

True enough, but these are all implementation details. What AMD does is not more or less SMT than approach Intel or ARM or others have taken.
SMT more performance but cost more energy. I forgot where's read this.