• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Spins Over a 'Mojave' Approach to Grow Vista User-base

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I've gotten the ones from ASUS - but I'm not too concerned with it ATM. I had only enabled the onboard for testing purposes, and for hardware comparisons to an audio adapter.

Actually, TBH, if you take a look at the first post in my audio spec guide (http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=871130&postcount=1) - all results with the red spectrum tests were done with the AD1988B chipset found on this P5E3-Deluxe motherboard.

. . . and ADI are amoung the best in terms of onboard audio chipsets, too.

Yeah, but too bad they're getting out of the market. I did notice that it's very crisp compared to any other onboard.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
To show that the word from people that know tech made them think that vista is really bad.

The no back folder button really pisses me off that it is now gone. Me and my boss scream about it all the time. It's one of the main things that we hate about vista, besides the new start menu and UAC.

the folder with the up arrow? well at least you can click part of the name now, and have it go there that way. (if i go to D:\games\far cry\ i can simply click games in the address and it takes me back to that folder)

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
agree with resource hog bit but that happened to xp as well, unstabel .. I have to disagree since mines never crashes unless im overclocking in which case xp does as well. Bloated - same with xp, inferior gaming performance ... 1 fps is not a make or break for a gaming experience, no idea about the soundcard thing and the GUI is your opinion not a fact.

The GUI thing is a fact, people I speak to that have used Vista for some time still do not like the GUI - its a mess.

Inferior gaming performance is also a fact. In benchmarks things are about the same, but with games like Crysis its a whole different story. People report after installing Vista they had to tone their game settings down to medium, whereas on XP they could run most settings on high. Thats a rather dramatic difference.

Now, XP being bloated? I'd like to know how on earth you come to that conclusion. On a fresh, completely uncustomised install XP uses around 2GB, Vista on the other hand even after extensive install customisations still requires at least double that of XP.

Finally, stability. With the majority of NORMAL PC users reporting crashes and the average being worked out at around 17.5hrs between crashes, Vista is just not a stable, reliable OS.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
very true - and the further towards the east coast you go, the more prevailant and widespread the use of native american terms become

I agree with you on most points you presented . . .

the sad thing, though, is that some of the bigger issues between XP/Vista can be fixed - DX10 can run on XP . . . and we could have audio hardware acceleration in Vista . . .

Vista, IMO, is currently no better than XP was when it was released, and after SP1. But, Vista gives me the impression of an OS that was ritzed up to compete with MAC, and userability had to fall sacrifice for this. You know how irritating it is to install an application, and then spend 45min trying to figure out why it doesn't want to run, only to realize you didn't install or run the application as "administrator?!" It gives me the impression that it was shoved out the door more half-baked than XP initially was . . . we still have software and hardware companies trying to get stable or "accepted" Vista drivers released . . . c'mon, driver support on the 3rd party side was bad enough that MS delayed the launch of the OS to give some big name companies time to finish developing drivers that the OS would cooperate with.

DX10 does not quite run on XP, to date most of "DX10 only" features are nothing more than DX9c being pushed to its limits. This includes Crysis. When you hack Crysis for XP there its literally 1 or 2 options that will ONLY run under DX10, however neither of these options seem to impact performance or visual quality in any way what so ever.

I used XP before SP1, and I have to say regardless of its flaws at the time XP was still far better than Vista on release. I also firmly think XP was far better than Vista when SP1 was released compared to Vista and its SP1. This is all generally backed up in all kinds of articals across the web.

The audio issue is a big thing IMO. Vista just plain sucks. Why bother with a very expensive soundcard if Vista is going to fuck it up and cripple it? Not a bad onboard audio solution by any means, I tried Vista with my Crosshair which uses an ADI 1988B CODEC, and dear god, the sound quality was absolutely horrible, massively muffled and distorted sounding. Back to XP all was well, clear, crystal sounds. All in all like you I'll stand by my original statement - I hope whoever had the moronic idea to drop hardware sound acceleration got fired. I would go into more details, but I'm saving my artillerary for if a certain LindseyM_WindowsTeam dares to step into the shadow of my domain :cool:

Oh and ADI aren't among the best onboard audio solutions - they are THE best :D

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
The GUI thing is a fact, people I speak to that have used Vista for some time still do not like the GUI - its a mess.

Inferior gaming performance is also a fact. In benchmarks things are about the same, but with games like Crysis its a whole different story. People report after installing Vista they had to tone their game settings down to medium, whereas on XP they could run most settings on high. Thats a rather dramatic difference.

Now, XP being bloated? I'd like to know how on earth you come to that conclusion. On a fresh, completely uncustomised install XP uses around 2GB, Vista on the other hand even after extensive install customisations still requires at least double that of XP.

Finally, stability. With the majority of NORMAL PC users reporting crashes and the average being worked out at around 17.5hrs between crashes, Vista is just not a stable, reliable OS.

How is disliking the GUI a fact? Even if it is the popular opinion, that doesn't make it a fact. I love the GUI, it isn't a mess at all, so.........

Gaming performance isn't inferior at all. I haven't ever had to crank down any settings. The only thing I can't do is AA in Crysis (can't do that in XP either). Other than that I run it in extreme (config mod) or very high on everything and enjoy it very well. Every other game I can completely max out w/ AA and all. Then again, I care really only about true real world performance (my experience playing the game, not at all based on fps). Again, not a fact........

Xp is very bloated compared to 2000. It's progress, more features, more hardware, progressively more "bloated."

Majority maybe reported problems when the os was first released, no longer the case I would suspect. I don't have exact statistics, if you do then show me, so again, not a fact........

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

Ok maybe the rest is true for others but you don't seem to grasp that the GUI is an opinion and not a fact since I could say I think the mona lisa is a terrible piece of art and that would not be a fact it would be a matter of opinion. If 5 billion people said the vista GUI is ugly and 1 Billion said it wasn't it would be an opinion. I compared XP being bloated to older operating systems compared to win95, XP is several times larger, and it happens with games as well, we are now seeing 15 gb games coming on two dual layer dvd's while games used to be able to fit on floppy disks.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
most people who complain about crysis being slower in vista over XP, are in fact forgetting that the game defaults to DX10 mode... in several installs on my systems i didnt actually have the games explorer icon to run DX9 mode, and had to make a shortcut with a command to force it.

90% of users simply double click the icon or the start button from the CD/DVD, without checking what DX mode its in.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
great post btarunr

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
most people who complain about crysis being slower in vista over XP, are in fact forgetting that the game defaults to DX10 mode... in several installs on my systems i didnt actually have the games explorer icon to run DX9 mode, and had to make a shortcut with a command to force it.

90% of users simply double click the icon or the start button from the CD/DVD, without checking what DX mode its in.

Yeah that's what I used to do then i realised running it in dx9 mode made the fps on par with xp.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
How is disliking the GUI a fact? Even if it is the popular opinion, that doesn't make it a fact. I love the GUI, it isn't a mess at all, so.........

Gaming performance isn't inferior at all. I haven't ever had to crank down any settings. The only thing I can't do is AA in Crysis (can't do that in XP either). Other than that I run it in extreme (config mod) or very high on everything and enjoy it very well. Every other game I can completely max out w/ AA and all. Then again, I care really only about true real world performance (my experience playing the game, not at all based on fps). Again, not a fact........

Xp is very bloated compared to 2000. It's progress, more features, more hardware, progressively more "bloated."

Majority maybe reported problems when the os was first released, no longer the case I would suspect. I don't have exact statistics, if you do then show me, so again, not a fact........

Plenty is a fact. A statistical majority, regardless of if its an opinion or not, makes it a fact. I'm not going to sit here providing endless links, its an inefficient waste of my time. I'm up to date through my own research and googling. If you want to see things for yourself do as I did, research, and read highly acreditied assessments from various IT professionals instead of buying into MS propaganda.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
So statistically if 95% of the world say that the United States is in fact a pancake and not a country it must be a fact. This is about the gui being ugly is a fact and not opinion.

Last edited:
System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Plenty is a fact. A statistical majority, regardless of if its an opinion or not, makes it a fact. I'm not going to sit here providing endless links, its an inefficient waste of my time. I'm up to date through my own research and googling. If you want to see things for yourself do as I did, research, and read highly acreditied assessments from various IT professionals instead of buying into MS propaganda.

I really have no idea how what you mean here. Your saying if the majority of people hold a certain belief, even though it remains an opinion, it also becomes a fact? That's just nonsensical. A fact that many hold that opinion maybe, but that doesn't make it unconditionally true, as would be the case w/ a fact. Review the meaning of the two words maybe. I don't need endless links, just the one showing the majority of vista users have problems. I have no problem believing many dislike vista, perhaps even the majority of IT professionals. But that doesn't make it bad for all.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
"A statistical majority, regardless of if its an opinion or not, makes it a fact."

thats the most twisted, irrational logic i've seen in a long time. It doesnt make it anywhere near a fact, at all.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
DX10 does not quite run on XP, to date most of "DX10 only" features are nothing more than DX9c being pushed to its limits. This includes Crysis. When you hack Crysis for XP there its literally 1 or 2 options that will ONLY run under DX10, however neither of these options seem to impact performance or visual quality in any way what so ever.

I used XP before SP1, and I have to say regardless of its flaws at the time XP was still far better than Vista on release. I also firmly think XP was far better than Vista when SP1 was released compared to Vista and its SP1. This is all generally backed up in all kinds of articals across the web.

I agree - I was only trying to compare Vistas issues relativelly to XP's initial release; but still, XP was a lot better off, and I don't remember as many driver issues on the 3rd party side with XP's release as compared to Vista's problems . . .

To the DX10 thing, I was referring to the Alky Project, which was an attempt to enable DX10 libraries to run on WIN XP - not the means of "hacking" a game like Crysis to enable DX10-esque features on XP. One thing is for sure, though, with users - if there's a will, there's a way.

The audio issue is a big thing IMO. Vista just plain sucks. Why bother with a very expensive soundcard if Vista is going to fuck it up and cripple it? Not a bad onboard audio solution by any means, I tried Vista with my Crosshair which uses an ADI 1988B CODEC, and dear god, the sound quality was absolutely horrible, massively muffled and distorted sounding. Back to XP all was well, clear, crystal sounds. All in all like you I'll stand by my original statement - I hope whoever had the moronic idea to drop hardware sound acceleration got fired. I would go into more details, but I'm saving my artillerary for if a certain LindseyM_WindowsTeam dares to step into the shadow of my domain :cool:

Oh and ADI aren't among the best onboard audio solutions - they are THE best :D

I agree here as well, and I'm refraining from getting further onto my soap box in regards to Vista and audio . . . I've beaten that topic so many times it isn't even funny. All I'll say is that MS effed up because they were in a rush to release a waaayyyy behind schedule OS . . .

HAL7000

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Memory Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Storage SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB
Display(s) Acer AL2051W 20" 8ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Case IN WIN IW-F430.RL Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy gamers edition
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - Copper
Software XP Pro w/SP3
My name is Lindsey and I work with the Windows Vista team. I would be happy to share our customer videos from the Mojave Experiment. They can be found at www.MojaveExperiment.com.

Lindsey, I just got back from a business trip and read your post. Please read this whole thread before posting. And if you did , please read it again.
You video/ commercial that I saw on TV in the hotel was enlightening. It showed how dumb a company could be by making their customers/ consumers look even dumber. Does MS get off on this crap? I may not be a rocket scientist but if I was MS I would stop this campaign showing stupidity as a highlight to recognizing Vista. Tell MS to call Steve and then ask him how to make one OS for a fair price.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Tell MS to call Steve and then ask him how to make one OS for a fair price.

OSX might be cheap but you can only use it on expensive apple made hardware so in the end you have a more expensive mac just with a cheaper os.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
OSX might be cheap but you can only use it on expensive apple made hardware so in the end you have a more expensive mac just with a cheaper os.

While noobs have to deal with that, we don't. Leo4all FTMFW!

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Holy crap i've been waiting for something like that for years. Downloading it now and going to install it on my other HDD and hope it works.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk

HAL7000

Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Software XP Pro w/SP3

I was just making a point that apple has their shit together concerning a OS for their system.

MS has to many version$ and rakes in everyone's ca$h buying them. MS now with the Mojave experiment will be that much more enlightened...bullsh*t. The blind idiots.
I use MS because I game, if I did not game as much as I do I would have a apple. I am forced to continue using MS until someone out their gets it together.

So what point are you making?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I was just making a point that apple has their shit together concerning a OS for their system.

MS has to many version$ and rakes in everyone's ca$h buying them. MS now with the Mojave experiment will be that much more enlightened...bullsh*t. The blind idiots.
I use MS because I game, if I did not game as much as I do I would have a apple. I am forced to continue using MS until someone out their gets it together.

So what point are you making?

apple has a fairly crap OS. it only works on their specific hardware and does nothing new compared to windows - it uses just as much resources and crashes just as much - go check youtube, its full of hilarious videos... such as apple safari web browser crashing upon entering the apple store.

HAL7000

Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Software XP Pro w/SP3
Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
lindsay, where are you?

HAL7000

Motherboard ECS KA3 MVP
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) X1900GT
Software XP Pro w/SP3
apple has a fairly crap OS. it only works on their specific hardware and does nothing new compared to windows - it uses just as much resources and crashes just as much - go check youtube, its full of hilarious videos... such as apple safari web browser crashing upon entering the apple store.

you miss the point I was making...I am not here to debate the integrity of the OS X Leopard for mac but was pointing out that MS needs to get into the same way of thinking for x86 machines.

One OS for a mac

One OS for a x86 machine

Then MS can commit all their intense thought...cough ..cough into getting that OS right. Vista was promised to the end users to end the compatibility issues we went through before its release. Vista was the Holy Grail,,,well it fell short and has more versions than ever before.

So again, call Steve and ask him how he does it Microsoft because you sure haven't got it together yet.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Well MS kinda had to split them, when the 9x Kernal vanished it left it all on the NT Kernal, which has always had mutliple distros.

This would be how this goes that MS sees it ok

Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 - Windows 98 - Windows Me - Windows XP Home - Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows NT 3.1 - Windows NT 3.51 - Windows NT 4.0 Professional - Windows 2000 Professional - Windows XP Professional - Windows Vista Ultimate

Windonws 2000 Enterprise Edition - Windows XP Enterprise Edition - Windows Vista Buissiness.

The others fit it also of course, Home Basic has everything Home Premium does minus Aero Glass, it uses the least amount of resources of any windows versions except starter and is designed for older computers. But When the Bussiness world mergerd with the home world it made things alot more complex for the Operating system. You don't see Mac's like this because untill 2-3 years ago they where seen only as media editing computers and still mostly are. The bussiness world left Mac in the 90's to use Linux or Windows.