• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

11600K + Z590, unable to overclock RAM on Gear 1 beyond 3200 XMP

v0lcano

Turns out BIOS is bugged.

If I manually select Gear 1, it will not boot. But then, selecting Auto will do the trick:
View attachment 232373

From time to time, when manually setting values, it will stop booting, forcing me to restore defaults and start over.

Crappy BIOS that probably will not be ever fixed with Alder Lake getting all the attention, but at least I can squeeze this somehow.
I'm glad to see I'm not alone to encounter these issues. I have a Aorus Z590 Elite AX and bios F6, I'm trying to downclock my 4000 DDR4 to 3600 and tighten the timings a bit but it seems changing any setting even the slightest --> no boot.
More surprisingly, it seems the same voltage settings = different results. Sometimes it'll boot with 1.1 SA, after a reset it sometimes won't post with less than 1.18 SA with the same settings.

Did you ever find a fix for this ? Did you try reverting back to an previous bios version?

Last edited:

drapos

The only workaround I found is as following:

Perform changes > Fails to boot > Enter Bios when prompted to do so > Exit and save changes without changing anything at all > Boot.

Some changes forced this way might only survive cold reboots, but fail on soft reboots, even when tested fully stable.

High speeds on Gear 1 are pretty unreliable on this system. Board is not happy and it shows.

Also, at some point, it is like some hidden setting gets corrupted or something. Force defaults and reload your profile, or even clear CMOS and reload profile, when the board gets too angry and start not being reasonable.

Good luck!

drapos

Just a quick necro update, just in case anyone with this board is looking for information.

Gigabyte took a whole year to provide an updated bios, F7E, but it improved this board a lot.

The BIOS interface is finally snappier, the Gear 1 setting for 3600XPM now works out of the box and the voltage requirements have been greatly reduced, for both default and custom settings.

It still takes a lot of effort to recover it from a failed voltage setting, but still, finally working as it should.

Greetings.