• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

270x Downgrade bios to 7870 for M91p motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
best to flash it to 260x bios if it works..
That way if something happens to the lenovo and you decide to sell the gpu it wont need any modifications to get it ready for sale.

I did suspect the psu wasnt correctly powering the card but i was leaning more towards it wasnt properly connected.
Glad to hear you have it working now. but you may want to run occt and check your 12v rail. it may be failing.

A little update for this topic.

I've been chatting with a guy who PMed me about changing the Device ID of his RX 570 so he could run it on his Lenovo M81 motherboard. He wanted to try an HD 7850 Device ID. I didn't get back to him in time before he figured out how to do it on his own. He tried the HD 7850 Device ID first and it didn't work. Then he tried an HD 7750 Device ID and it did work. He also reports that the drivers installed fine for an RX 570, even with the HD 7750 Device ID. And everything works perfectly. Soooooooo...yeah. That does work...apparently. Which is pretty cool.

Bottom line: F#$% GPU WHITELISTS!!! Just change your Device ID to whatever works and carry on like it never happened. :pimp:

Oh...and if you want UEFI GOP functionality...there's a way to keep that too. You can figure that out on your own...or ask me. Not going to go into the finer details at this juncture. Just know it can be done, and it's relatively quick and easy. More on that later...maybe...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

I've been chatting with a guy who PMed me about changing the Device ID of his RX 570 so he could run it on his Lenovo M81 motherboard. He wanted to try an HD 7850 Device ID. I didn't get back to him in time before he figured out how to do it on his own. He tried the HD 7850 Device ID first and it didn't work. Then he tried an HD 7750 Device ID and it did work. He also reports that the drivers installed fine for an RX 570, even with the HD 7750 Device ID. And everything works perfectly. Soooooooo...yeah. That does work...apparently. Which is pretty cool.

Bottom line: F#$% GPU WHITELISTS!!! Just change your Device ID to whatever works and carry on like it never happened. :pimp:

Oh...and if you want UEFI GOP functionality...there's a way to keep that too. You can figure that out on your own...or ask me. Not going to go into the finer details at this juncture. Just know it can be done, and it's relatively quick and easy. More on that later...maybe...

Only on Non Vega or GF 2000/1000 cards.

Only on Non Vega or GF 2000/1000 cards.
Good point. Can't do this with just any old card. Or...can do this with any card...just as long as it's old enough. Yeah...that'll work...:D

Although it should work with RX 590s...which are newer than Vega(RX Vega, not Radeon VII Vega). ;)

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Good point. Can't do this with just any old card. Or...can do this with any card...just as long as it's old enough. Yeah...that'll work...:D

Although it should work with RX 590s...which are newer than Vega(RX Vega, not Radeon VII Vega). ;)

Being Polaris Based, yeah

Sooo....would that mean i can do my R9 285 to a what ever works with it and be good?
How would i do that?
Which tools? since the good old tools that i used for such things on my 4850 are not working with my 285...
Could someone provide me with a cahnged bios so that i can flash it?

Attachments

• Tonga.zip
    98.1 KB · Views: 215

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Except you can't change the Device ID with that tool.
Sooo....would that mean i can do my R9 285 to a what ever works with it and be good?
It should be good.
How would i do that?
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...870-for-m91p-motherboard.237389/#post-3731515

Device IDs that might work:

HD 7750: 1002 683F
HD 7850: 1002 6819
HD 7870: 1002 6818
Which tools?
HxD hex editor
Anoraks AMD VBIOS CRC checker v1

If you want/need to retain UEFI GOP functionality:
lordkag's GOP Updater v1.9.6.5 w/ hellm's "magic" AMD GOP v1.67.0.15.50(to use the "magic" AMD GOP rename the file to "amd_gop.efirom" and replace the original amd_gop.efirom file in the #GOP_Files folder).
Could someone provide me with a cahnged bios so that i can flash it?
Or just try these(attached below). Noting that I get an error message when using lordkag's GOP Updater. So I don't know if they'll work as intended or not(so I included versions w/ and w/o the UEFI fix). I had to delete some additional end padding to make them the correct size too(which wouldn't matter in "normal" circumstances).
GOP Updater warning.PNG

Attachments

• Tonga Device ID Changes.zip
    596.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Wow...thx...that was fast...i owe you one...
So flashing this bad boy and it should work on this mainbaord?
Wow that would be sooo awesome...
will check it later today
By the way...any known source for a working VBE7.exe?
I see that all over but cant find it in a working condition for tonga

Ok...its flashed and nothing broke so far...
Will try to run it on the other mainbard now...

Wow...thx...that was fast...i owe you one...
So flashing this bad boy and it should work on this mainbaord?
Wow that would be sooo awesome...
will check it later today
By the way...any known source for a working VBE7.exe?
I see that all over but cant find it in a working condition for tonga
One(or all) of them should work. If you have an M91p, I'd try a 7870 version first. If you have an M81, I'd try a 7750 version first. Since those are known to work on those motherboards. I don't really know for sure what else does work on those motherboards. But I threw the 7850 versions in there just in case it might(it's supposed to work on the M91p according to the OP). I don't really have a clue what will happen if you try one of the UEFI fix versions. They might also work, or they might not. Or they might not work any better than the non-UEFI fix versions. As in, they might boot and appear to work fine, until you try using any UEFI GOP functions(like fast boot, secure boot, etc.). Particularly with secure boot enabled. You might not be able to boot with secure boot enabled, even if you can boot with other UEFI GOP functions enabled(and/or have them working perfectly). Secure boot will either work or it won't. And it has nothing to do with the UEFI fix not working(as in, if it is working, all other UEFI GOP functions will work when enabled, just not secure boot). It's not known why secure boot does work with the UEFI fix sometimes, and other times it doesn't. It probably has something to do with the particular motherboard, or the particular card, or both. Yadda yadda yadda...if it won't boot...try disabling secure boot. If you can boot with other UEFI GOP functions(besides secure boot) enabled, but you get a black screen until the desktop shows up, that means those UEFI GOP functions are not working.

On VBE7, it doesn't work with Tonga. Hence the Tonga BIOS Reader mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Quick feedback!! You are amazing...
I finally got the card on the board and it started straight up...
I played and SuperPi'ed...all perfect...
Thx so much!!
And i used the Tonga to 7870 + UEFI fix.rom...works awesome

System Name Sham Pc
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
so you can change any device to have a id of say a 7870, and it will work because windows ignores that id? (barring cards like radeon vii that is ?)

so you can change any device to have a id of say a 7870, and it will work...
I've got 2 people now telling me that's the truth.
...because windows ignores that id?
I don't think that's why. I think it's because the motherboard believes it's a 7870(or whatever), and the AMD drivers package is IDing the device as what it really is from somewhere else in the VBIOS(that isn't being changed). So you're able to boot, and get the correct drivers loaded for it. I don't think Windows really cares what it is. But it might be confused enough to cause an issue if it tries to load drivers for it automatically(or if you try to manually load drivers for it via Device Manager). I'm not sure about that though(just guessing).
(barring cards like radeon vii that is ?)
Yes. Radeon VII(I strongly suspect, but can't confirm) and RX Vega/Vega FE(I know for certain) don't have VBIOSes that you can edit/modify in any way. Well...at least not change the Device ID in this manner. It's not entirely true that you can't edit/modify the VBIOS in a strict sense. There's a thing or 2 you can do. But they don't gain you anything. Actually...there's only one thing that I know of for sure. And it's pointless/does nothing. Hellm made a "magic" UEFI GOP image/efirom for RX Vega/Vega FE(and would also be usable with Radeon VII, and possibly some pre-Vega cards). Which in theory should allow you to mod the Legacy ROM. But I tried it...and it doesn't work. What's surprising though is that I was even able to boot with it. In theory...I shouldn't have been able to. But for whatever reason, all(or at least part) of the UEFI GOP image/efirom isn't protected. Which means it can be updated to a later version(which I've done several times now, and could be of some use actually...in theory), and/or messed with to some extent. No extent that will do you any real good though...AFAIK. Barring updating it to a later version, which might do something useful. I mean...assuming they make newer versions for some good reason. Which I have no idea if is true or not(much less what the reason(s) would be).

Last edited:
System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
I've got 2 people now telling me that's the truth.
kind of suspected that could be the case when windows just straight up ignored the id change when i did it, but wasnt sure if there were any other side effects.

good to know theres a wide array of cards available now with a modification.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
kind of suspected that could be the case when windows just straight up ignored the id change when i did it, but wasnt sure if there were any other side effects.

good to know theres a wide array of cards available now with a modification.

Polaris and Older, GF GTX 900 and Older, Vega and GTX 1000+ are nope.

HaxBios19

Hi guys

Could you be so nice and make change for me from 1002-6611 to 1002-6758 (R7 240 to 6670) . Hope 6670 works in M91p

I have some good news for you, mcemsi, and anyone else mad about the GPU whitelist on the M91p. I finally got the M91p to boot with my C552 / HD 8570 / (R7 240?) card and as I want to be a good netizen, I have created an account to share some info.

First off, thanks to MrGenius who has already laid out basically all the info needed to do this. I'm just going to collect it all here in a summarized and easy-for-dummies-like-me format. I also used some guidance from this ATI/AMD Flashing Guide thread.

To get this done, you will need some hardware
1) a "Programming PC" which will boot with the GPU
2) a USB flash drive

And you will need to download the following software
1) Rufus - v3.4 - link
2) ATIFLASH - v717(DOS) - link
3) HxD Hex Editor - v2.2.1 - link

The basic outline of how to do this is as follows;
01) Use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive with FreeDOS
p01-1.JPG
02) Copy "atiflash.exe" into the "LOCALE" folder on the flash drive
03) Boot the programming PC to FreeDOS and download the GPU BIOS to a file like "ORIGINAL.ROM"
atiflash -s 0 original.rom
04) Shut down the programming PC and transfer ORIGINAL.ROM to a PC with HxD installed
05) Use HxD to make note of the Checksum-8 of the ORIGINAL.ROM
In my case it was "AC"
06) Save the file as "MODIFIED.ROM" and use HxD to find both instances of "PCIR" and change the hex values after each
The original device ID is 1002-6611 encoded as 02 10 11 66
You need to change that to 02 10 18 68 which is a DeviceID of 1002-6818
This is the DeviceID for the known whitelist-passing HD 7870
PCIR-1.PNG
PCIR-2.PNG
07) Use HxD to make note of the Checksum-8 of the now "MODIFIED.ROM"
In my case it was "BE"
08) Use Wolfram|Alpha to calculate the new padding count needed at the end MODIFIED ROM
0xBE minus 0xAC equals 0x12, or 18 in decimal
09) Use HxD to edit the padding at the end of the MODIFIED.ROM
Because the difference was +18, you need to add 18 FF's to the end of the FF chunk near the end of the file
Pro-tip: each row is 16 wide by default, so you need to add 1 full row of FF's and 2 FF's on the following line
MOD-CHECKSUM-8.PNG
10) Save and transfer MODIFIED.ROM to the flash drive
11) Boot the programming PC to FreeDOS
12) Write the GPU BIOS with the MODIFIED.ROM file
atiflash -p 0 -f modified.rom
You'll see that it will list all the "new" parameters as zeros or blank, but that seems to be an artifact of the atiflash
If you go back to check the card information after reboot with atiflash -ai you will see that it's all still there fine
Your GPU will now pass the M91p (and M90p, actually) white list and you can boot just fine with it.

This is the exact GPU I found on ebay for next to nothing, and I have programmed the modified.rom on two of them and been impressed with the performance so far. I tested the modified card in a ThinkCentre M90p as well, and this hack allowed it to pass the whitelist on that PC too.

UEFI Windows 10 works with this card, with "TCG Security Feature" and "Quick Boot" either on or off, no difference as far as I can tell.
UEFI Ubuntu have boots fine (after this guide) but not with the "TCG Security Feature" on, though "Quick Boot" works well.
The M91p is very sensitive to the UEFI boot order and naming convention.

There is no need for modifying the drivers, the card is automatically correctly identified as the HD 8570 in Windows, and drivers install just fine.
I have no idea how to determine if the UEFI part of the GPU is being used, or if it is just falling back to legacy. So far, I can't see why or how it would matter in a normal use case.

The only lingering problem is that UEFI Windows 10 does not shut down to a correct power state, as the power light and fans remain on indefinitely even after the hard drive powers down. MBR/BIOS Windows 10 was fine. I'm sure it's just a silly Windows hibernation setting. Ubuntu has no such issues.

I've attached the ORIGINAL.ROM and MODIFIED.ROM files to this post, in case anyone wants to take a look at them.

Happy hacking! Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

• OLAND_ROMS.zip
    199.5 KB · Views: 332

mcemsi

Welcome and very very thanks for solution which works I believe - despite the fact that I don't have this M91p anymore. I hope it's useful for anyone....

Can anyone tell in a Radeon 4580 would work on those buggers straight away or just with bios mod as well?

System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
The issue is they did not post a white list. so you dont know for sure what will work without some research. I spent a good number of days researching before i started this thread. and i was still not 100% sure that a 7870 id would work when i requested it. (but i was 90% sure)

your best bet is to search for "m91p hd 4850"
If you find some one with one complaining "they usually will be" that games are running slow. then you know it works.
if however you find some one complaining that the system will not turn on with the 4850 attached then it probably wont work without a bios edit.

rsshaggy

i need help doing this i have never modified a gpu bios before i have attached a copy of my stock rom

i need help doing this i have never modified a gpu bios before i have attached a copy of my stock rom
I'm also having issues getting my card to be recognized by ATI Flash

Attachments

• rx570 stock - Copy.zip
    108.3 KB · Views: 305

I'm also having issues getting my card to be recognized by ATI Flash
I can hook you up with some fixed BIOS files(attached below). But the ATIFlash not recognizing the card is a whole other issue. And is most likely not something I, or anyone else for that matter, can fix without getting their hands on the card. You can try the shorting the #1 pin to the #8 pin trick on the BIOS EEPROM. Or, if that doesn't work, get a CH341A and flash it with that. Or ship it to me and I'll use mine to fix it for you free of charge(you pay for shipping both ways of course). But it would probably be cheaper/quicker/easier to just buy the programmer and do it yourself.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-...unbrick-flash-almost-any-card-amd-nvidia.html

Attachments

• RX 570 to 7750 - 7850 - 7870.zip
    331.6 KB · Views: 396

rsshaggy

I can hook you up with some fixed BIOS files(attached below). But the ATIFlash not recognizing the card is a whole other issue. And is most likely not something I, or anyone else for that matter, can fix without getting their hands on the card. You can try the shorting the #1 pin to the #8 pin trick on the BIOS EEPROM. Or, if that doesn't work, get a CH341A and flash it with that. Or ship it to me and I'll use mine to fix it for you free of charge(you pay for shipping both ways of course). But it would probably be cheaper/quicker/easier to just buy the programmer and do it yourself.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-...unbrick-flash-almost-any-card-amd-nvidia.html
thanks for the help

IronSim

Hi guys,

i could really need your help.
I got a MSI RX 470 8GB and might have the issue with the whitelist on my Lenovo IS6XM Rev 1.0 Mainboard.

Fortunately i found this great thread of yours: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...870-for-m91p-motherboard.237389/#post-3731515

and tried to follow it. I loaded the GPU BIOS with GPU-Z and opened it in the HxD Editor. When Searching for "PCIR" i only get one result: 02 10 DF 67. I changed it to 02 10 18 68, so it should resemble an HD 7870 - but the HxD marks it in red color then. Since there's no second PCIR entry i tried to go on, saved the *.rom-file and tried to get a new CRC with Anoraks-AMD-VBIOS-CRC-checker.

The result is the same with the original saved BIOS: 0x37

I guess i'm stuck here - can someone please help me? The original file and my first attempt are in the attachement. If you need more information/files, please let me know :)

Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• RX470.zip
    216.3 KB · Views: 254
Status
Not open for further replies.