• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3060ti 8gb vs 3060 12gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
2080S is a 2019 GPU, it better be. And yet, it will also find a small selection of games already where it falls short on 8GB with that amount of core perf. Turing already was a step back in VRAM/core.

Is that horrible? No. Is it sub optimal? Definitely. And that's what I've been saying. 3060 / 3060ti is a choice of suboptimal product. 12GB on the 3060 makes as little sense as 8GB on the Ti.

Sometimes I wish VRAM slots became a thing. My brother had such a card (because the seller was convinced it was the next big thing), don't remember what card it was. Riva? Matrox?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Sometimes I wish VRAM slots became a thing. My brother had such a card (because the seller was convinced it was the next big thing), don't remember what card it was. Riva? Matrox?

The way gpu's work it's hard to see how that could be a thing, they have to be close to the core but also have a gigantic heatsink over it with no room to spare. They also need lots of cooling themselves.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
The way gpu's work it's hard to see how that could be a thing, they have to be close to the core but also have a gigantic heatsink over it with no room to spare. They also need lots of cooling themselves.

Back of the GPU?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Back of the GPU?
That was my thought, I'm envisioning like laptop style DIMM slots or say an M.2 slot where they lay flat against the board on the back. Alas it seems like a pipedream, at least for anything more powerful than entry level stuff.

i actually had a dream the other night about socketable GPU daughterboards, just for that lmfao

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I'm no expert and i could be saying something wrong, but when you introduce a socket you have to see what speeds that socket can support , and there's also the question of having one or 2 slots versus the normal configuration with several chips for vram, so you have a bottleneck.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I'm no expert and i could be saying something wrong, but when you introduce a socket you have to see what speeds that socket can support , and there's also the question of having one or 2 slots versus the normal configuration with several chips for vram, so you have a bottleneck.

Sure, it would introduce all sorts of complications and there's a reason for the idea never taking off, but still.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nope, they never were. Double VRAM catered to a good 10~15% of market demand that was aimed at SLI/Crossfire buyers that would drain the late-in-gen-stock for Nvidia and AMD.
Okay, I should have added the qualifier "for the pat 3-4 generations (i.e. since SLI/CF died)". You're right that they served a purpose back when that was still a feasible approach to improving performance. Me cheaping out and getting the 512MB HD 4850s instead of the 1024MB ones back in 2008 or so was exactly the reason why I had to get a 6950 in 2011 - there was no way those 512MB cards could perform passably at 1440p when I got my U2711. But then, 1440p gaming in 2011 was ... pushing it.
It was always a great way to move units, and for those reasons dual GPU was always priced about 10% more favorable in FPS/dollar, even if you took some support issues in your stride.
Sure. But then SLI/CF has been entirely irrelevant since at least 2015. Yes, I know even 10 series supported SLI, but by that point game/driver support was so poor as to be essentially nonexistent.
Spec illiterate was never expected beyond the midrange, and never catered to. And it isn't today.
Yes it absolutely is. Gaming has exploded in recent years, and the sheer amount of sales of GPUs today despite their ridiculous pricing is by itself proof that people are willing to pay way unreasonable prices compared to what products are worth. A significant part of that can likely be attributed to people either new to the hobby or uninterested in learning, who just want to buy something good. There will always be more uninformed customers than well-informed ones. Period. Thus, catering to the spec-illiterate is a massive part of marketing, and always has been. The main change in PC gaming is that a decade ago it was still a relatively niche hobby mostly (but not entirely) limited to enthusiasts, while today it's ubiquitous.
There is only market demand and how do we sell units. What part of that is marketing and what's real demand? Good luck drawing that line. A salesman knows: business is about 'creating demand'. Demand is demand. Today, Nvidia releases those units because there is demand, because the market spoke out against low VRAM amounts, and Nvidia wasn't capable of sourcing enough chips for the double amount, or any unholy combination of these factors.
You're contradicting yourself several times here. You say demand can be created, yet you claim "the market spoke out against low VRAM amounts", as if that occurred spontaneously and out of nothing. Or, maybe, VRAM amounts have been heavily marketed since at least Vega? One-upmanship in VRAM amounts has been a popular GPU marketing sport for quite a few years. You're entirely right that the relationship between marketing and demand is incredibly complex and anything but linear - I've never claimed otherwise - but ideas and beliefs do not appear spontaneously, and there is a staggering amount of superstition and misunderstanding among even enthusiasts about how PCs work. Nobody is immune to this - this debate is proof of that.

Still, your assertion that "today, Nvidia releases those because there is demand" is a cop-out. They have a responsibility to educate and not mislead their customers. And they certainly aren't forced by "the market" to produce dumb SKUs. They can, because doing so is an easy and cynical way of playing off of customer superstitions, earning them more money as they can charge more of a premium for """better""" products. But, especially taking Nvidia's market position and massive mindshare into account, they could just as well not do so, and would likely sell just as many GPUs. The amount of customers lost to 8GB AMD competitors would be microscopic.
If you apply the marketing tactic about VRAM to the segment below midrange, ie OEM-midrange prebuilts, laptops, and casual gaming gpus then yes, you would be right - that is the segment of illiterate buyers that say 'moar better' without looking at what's behind the numbers.
You seem to be under the impression that only well-informed enthusiasts are willing to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a PC. This was true even half a decade ago, but today? Not even close. There are tons of reasonably wealthy idiots in the world, and an ever-increasing number of them are gamers.
The 3090 also got a double VRAM version, which was specifically aimed at 'creators'. Similarly, Titans were marketed specifically at some gray area of enthusiasts (the last group you'd expect to be tech illiterate) that would be semi pro as well.
Don't all 3090s have 24GB? The 3090 is a fundamentally weird GPU, as it doesn't get creator-focused drivers (it's not a Titan), but costs as much, while having 2x the RAM such a card would need. There's a reason they've launched a 12GB 3080 Ti - it performs the same at a lower BOM cost. The 3090 is IMO mainly a flex - it's Nvidia making a true flagship SKU, one that is "extra everything" without it really making sense beyond demonstrating that it can be done. Which is precisely where ultra-luxury products tend to live.
No, because i didn't let it past the limit. But i'm sure that's what would happen, 1440p
But don't just panic this is one example, RE games are notorious for eating VRAM, just like RE2 remake did back in the day
Not panicking at all, I was just curious - "letting it past the limit" is exactly what would have made this interesting, as I sincerely doubt you would have seen performance issues before you exceeded 8GB by a relatively significant amount of allocated data - as illustrated by the FC6 examples in this thread. Reported VRAM usage is not equal to actual VRAM usage.

I was about to say, didn't some GPUs have that back in the really old days, when GPUs were new? I sincerely doubt it would be doable today though - SODIMMs have a 64-bit interface after all, so you'd need 4 SODIMMs spaced at equal distance from the package for it to work. Even on the back of the card that would be really difficult. You could of course make a denser connector for GPU memory modules, perhaps some sort of mezzanine connector with a ton of pins, but that would get expensive fast, and signal integrity and power would still be an issue. One possible stopgap solution would be to stick a single SODIMM socket on the GPU for a second layer of RAM, not for direct GPU access but for pre-pre-caching. A 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM is pretty cheap, needs little power, and would be able to feed the VRAM much faster than any storage medium, even using DirectStorage. That would likely be sufficient to alleviate nearly any VRAM bottleneck as long as the game is even remotely well written in how it streams in assets.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Not panicking at all, I was just curious - "letting it past the limit" is exactly what would have made this interesting, as I sincerely doubt you would have seen performance issues before you exceeded 8GB by a relatively significant amount of allocated data - as illustrated by the FC6 examples in this thread. Reported VRAM usage is not equal to actual VRAM usage.

i actually just tried it now for a quick play (game is really good btw), it doesn't stop at 8GB, but there is no noticeable problems at first, but idk if it's play time of a certain scene, fps started to drop like crazy, and i mean the low 10's, after a bit or if you exit to menu it solves it, but after a while it returns.
Again this is all to be expect i think.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
i actually just tried it now for a quick play (game is really good btw), it doesn't stop at 8GB, but there is no noticeable problems at first, but idk if it's play time of a certain scene, fps started to drop like crazy, and i mean the low 10's, after a bit or if you exit to menu it solves it, but after a while it returns.
Again this is all to be expect i think.
Huh, that's some odd behaviour. Sounds like it's constantly loading assets without ejecting older assets from VRAM, which I suppose would explain why it has a reputation for using tons of it! There's probably a reason for it, but it sure sounds unnecessary.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
For me the these settings typically offer the biggest IQ gain.

Textures - yes this is top of the list, and its main requirement is VRAM not rendering performance. I have played games where there is e.g. effort to make the playable character nice to look at, but when you look at field objects, doors etc. they look horrible due to low res textures. Remember the door in ff7 remake? This is a almost consistent problem with games before the current gen of consoles. Usually due to VRAM been under spec'd on hardware.
Shadow quality/resolution - often set too low on default settings, and many games need mods to get them acceptable.
MSAA - Not very common in modern games, post processing AA is preferred which is usually sub par. But in older games where this is offered it is usually noticeable.
Draw distance - not much is worse than objects appearing right in front of you.

Outside of game tuning

SGSSAA - An absolute killer feature but like MSAA mostly only useful for older games.

In many games doing things like dropping fog from ultra to high has no immediate visual impact, but do the same on textures its very noticeable. So I do think there is a place for large VRAM mid end cards. Although I own a 3080 I think the VRAM is under spec'd on it, however I prefer paying £650 for a 10 gig 3080 vs say £1500 for 24 gig 3090.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
For me the these settings typically offer the biggest IQ gain.
My list looks a bit different..

Framerate
Resolution
Antialiasing
Lighting
Geometric detail

In no particular order, but they're my more meaningful ones. Lately I am finding less and less of a stark, obvious 'in my face' different between Max/HD textures and a ~middle setting, only low ever seems to be mud spec. Again, and of course, if you have the VRAM fill it, but from my gaming chair I'm hard pressed to notice the difference, if and when I am required (or just playing about - which I do a lot) by dropping this setting.

The 3080 having only 10GB is commonly thrown in my face in forums and on reddit as a ha-ha-gotcha, but it's effectively a non-issue, and fine by me to have more GPU than VRAM in general. If it was an issue to me, I would have bought the 3090, but the 3080 will be long replaced as my main gaming card, and long obsolete by a gen or 2 before the 10GB is in any way a day-to-day issue.

The kicker being that it mines ETH while not obliterating any game I throw at it, the 3080 has paid for itself twice over now, affording me the opportunity to effectively buy whatever I want to replace it when that time comes.

Huh, that's some odd behaviour. Sounds like it's constantly loading assets without ejecting older assets from VRAM, which I suppose would explain why it has a reputation for using tons of it! There's probably a reason for it, but it sure sounds unnecessary.
At least part of AMD's play this RDNA2 generation will be to offer bloated textures and VRAM requirements on all sponsored games, because most of their stack has more VRAM than comparable Ampere products, they actively want this to be their talking/success point, because outside of solid raster performance, lots of VRAM is all they really have in their hand to play.

Even in W1z's head to heads now he's going all out on max textures and even HD pack (FC6), but won't enable RT. Wether deliberate or not, it's actively giving RDNA2 every chance to succeed, but not affording Ampere the same benefit, like texture settings per game that fits on both cards tested, and/or testing with RT on - especially when the game puts it on by default.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Or... maybe games push harder on VRAM to keep gameplay stutter free ;)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Good news, they aim to do something quite like this using NVME slots
(Direct Storage. Using NVME as a VRAM supplement, really)

I agree with others, get the faster GPU before the more VRAM. Lowering VRAM requirements is easy to do and often visually hard to spot, but if you've got a weak GPU you wont be able to use that VRAM anyway

Regardless of what everyone is saying, I believe paying above msrp for a 8gb card in now soon to come 2022 is a bad idea, lots of new games can consume up to 8gb at 1080p, and todays games are cross gen, what do you think will happen once developers start to optimize games form the ground up for consoles with 16gb ram ?

I strongly believe if you are buying a card today it should have 12gb minimum, and please don't spill me the "suffent vram for sufficient performance " that is utter BS, the 780ti came with 3gb vram when ps4 launched with 8gb ram, then two years later every game under the sun ate that 3gb for breakfast, the 1060 launched 3 years later with 780ti performance and double the vram, that card still plays games today fine, so would have the 780ti, if only it came with sufficient vram, and let's not forget the 1060 3gb ...

People need to stop falling for Nvidia bs, Nvidia intentionally limit their cards vram so that consumers keep upgrading every couple of years once games start to demand more, this is not 2016 anymore, wake up people

If I were you I would wait for Nvidia 4000 series or buy AMD rx 6800 with its generous 16 gb vram buffer, Jensen can take his above 700$ 3070ti card with its mesely 8gb ram buffer and F himself withit, Nvidia are not failing to read the room, they are more aware of it than all of you, and they grinning from ear to ear cause yall fall for it

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
To be fair it seems the 3080 will soon have 12GB of vram and the 3070Ti 16GB...... Not that the majority of people will be able to buy them :laugh:

Maybe the 4000 series is getting pushed to 2023 due to shortages (or nvidia selling every ampere gpu it can make) becuase it seems like too many new ampere cards are coming out soon only time will tell.

To be fair it seems the 3080 will soon have 12GB of vram and the 3070Ti 16GB...... Not that the majority of people will be able to buy them :laugh:

Maybe the 4000 series is getting pushed to 2023 due to shortages (or nvidia selling every ampere gpu it can make) becuase it seems like too many new ampere cards are coming out soon only time will tell.
Yeah thats Nvidia giving yall the middle finger for buying the low vram cards because people knew no better, and now they are double dipping their consumers with high vram models that should have been there from the start

This is nothing short than "F you give me many dump consumers " double dripping bs

System Name His & Hers
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Yeah thats Nvidia giving yall the middle finger for buying the low vram cards because people knew no better, and now they are double dipping their consumers with high vram models that should have been there from the start

This is nothing short than "F you give me many dump consumers " double dripping bs

I agree, $200 ish cards from 2016 had 8GB of vram.. 400+ gpus have no business only having that amount. Regardless of budget I would be shooting for at least 3060 ti performance but with at least 12GB of vram if I was keeping the card longer than 2 years.

Nvidia decided to give us two bad options in the midrange a card not powerful enough for 12GB and a 2080 super level card with the same amount of vram as budget cards from 2016....

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard Msi b450 tomahawk max II
Cooling Artic liquid freezer II 240mm
Memory 2x8Gb B-die @3800 cl14/ 53ns on aida
Video Card(s) Evga 3060 ti ftw3
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250gb + 1tb ssd
Case Corsair 275r airflow
Audio Device(s) Hyperx
Power Supply Seasonic core gc 650w 80 plus gold
Mouse Zowie ec2-a
Keyboard Trust
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench r20: 631/6232 Cinebench r23: 1628/15901 CPU-Z: 672/6960 SotTR:221FPS
When you guys talked in games at 1440p and 4k, it was with upscale resolutions in nvcp?

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I agree, $200 ish cards from from 2016 had 8GB of vram.. 400+ gpus have no business only having that amount. Regardless of budget I would be shooting for at least 3060 ti performance but with at least 12GB of vram if I was keeping the card longer than 2 years.

Nvidia decided to give us two bad options in the midrange a card not powerful enough for 12GB and a 2080 super level card with the same amount of vram as budget cards from 2016....

2016 GPUs, see if I can list them here from Nvidia:
GTX 1050 - 2GB - $109
GTX 1050 Ti - 4GB - $139
GTX 1060 - 3GB - $199
GTX 1060 - 6GB - $250
GTX 1070 - 8GB - $379
GTX 1080 - 8GB - $599
Titan X - 12GB - $1200

Looks like the mid range cards, 1060 and under were only coming with 6GB and less and the 6GB model was already priced $250. Yeah, I'm just not seeing 2016 GPUs having 8GB of RAM and being $200-ish.

It's also hard to compare prices from 2016 when it was using different hardware. These 2016 cards came with GDDR5 or GDDR5X. The RTX 3xxx come with GDDR6 or GDDR6X memory.

Even the RTX 2xxx series, the 2060 launched with 6GB and MSRP was $299.
2070/80 and the Super versions came with 8GB.

I don't understand why people are so upset that a mid range card this generation has 8GB.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
What about non-gaming uses?
I need to open several 3d software at the same time : unreal, maya, substance painter, speedtree, photoshop....
My monitor max at 1080

Is 3060ti still better for my use case?

[ ... ]

Don't all 3090s have 24GB? The 3090 is a fundamentally weird GPU, as it doesn't get creator-focused drivers (it's not a Titan), but costs as much, while having 2x the RAM such a card would need. There's a reason they've launched a 12GB 3080 Ti - it performs the same at a lower BOM cost. The 3090 is IMO mainly a flex - it's Nvidia making a true flagship SKU, one that is "extra everything" without it really making sense beyond demonstrating that it can be done. Which is precisely where ultra-luxury products tend to live.

[ ... ]
I don't recall Titans ever receiving special drivers. They just got the usual GeForce ones, the Quadro drivers are reserved for ... Quadros. (and the new RTX AX000 series which are Quadros w/o the Quadro brand, but I digress.)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I appreciate the discussion with a lot of good points made all around. My game plan is likely 3060 due to queue, then 3060ti from queue and sell the 3060, then enter queue for the next gen card (4060?), and sell the 3060ti because I am sure we will be stuck in this mining mess for another couple years and I am sure the price on the used market won't come down to sane levels either.

Edit: Also it seems like a bunch of cards in the marketing stack are getting VRAM increases, a trend that is likely to continue.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
2016 GPUs, see if I can list them here from Nvidia:
GTX 1050 - 2GB - $109
GTX 1050 Ti - 4GB - $139
GTX 1060 - 3GB - $199
GTX 1060 - 6GB - $250
GTX 1070 - 8GB - $379
GTX 1080 - 8GB - $599
Titan X - 12GB - $1200

Looks like the mid range cards, 1060 and under were only coming with 6GB and less and the 6GB model was already priced $250. Yeah, I'm just not seeing 2016 GPUs having 8GB of RAM and being $200-ish.

It's also hard to compare prices from 2016 when it was using different hardware. These 2016 cards came with GDDR5 or GDDR5X. The RTX 3xxx come with GDDR6 or GDDR6X memory.

Even the RTX 2xxx series, the 2060 launched with 6GB and MSRP was $299.
2070/80 and the Super versions came with 8GB.

I don't understand why people are so upset that a mid range card this generation has 8GB.

The RX 480 released in 2016 with 8GB of vram for 239.

Nvidia under the Ti cards has always cheaped out on vram it was semi ok on the 1080 from 2016 but the best pascal card period was the 1080 ti with 11Gb from 2017 that comically has more vram than the 3080..... Turing was terrible under the 2080 ti at launch the Super cards are ok but not great.

I owned 2 1080s, a 1080 ti, and a Titan Xp.... 8GB was ok in 2016 it isn't in 2021.

What people do with their own money I don't personally care and if you think 8GB 400+ gpu are ok in 2021 good for you.

I appreciate the discussion with a lot of good points made all around. My game plan is likely 3060 due to queue, then 3060ti from queue and sell the 3060, then enter queue for the next gen card (4060?), and sell the 3060ti because I am sure we will be stuck in this mining mess for another couple years and I am sure the price on the used market won't come down to sane levels either.

Edit: Also it seems like a bunch of cards in the marketing stack are getting VRAM increases, a trend that is likely to continue.

Definitely a solid gameplan. Nvidia is saying better supply in the 2nd half of 2022 but I've heard that one before.....

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
The RX 480 released in 2016 with 8GB of vram for 239.

Nvidia under the Ti cards has always cheaped out on vram it was semi ok on the 1080 from 2016 but the best pascal card period was the 1080 ti with 11Gb from 2017 that comically has more vram than the 3080..... Turing was terrible under the 2080 ti at launch the Super cards are ok but not great.

I owned 2 1080s, a 1080 ti, and a Titan Xp.... 8GB was ok in 2016 it isn't in 2021.

What people do with their own money I don't personally care and if you think 8GB 400+ gpu are ok in 2021 good for you.

Definitely a solid gameplan. Nvidia is saying better supply in the 2nd half of 2022 but I've heard that one before.....

So, you're still upset that a midrange card isn't good enough for you? I don't follow your logic.

You owned top-end cards (1080/1080Ti/Titan XP) and they were okay for you in 2016 with 8+GB they came with. Are the top-end cards of this current gen not good enough for your needs? They come with 10/12/24GB, depending on the model you get. I can understand why a mid-ranged card like the 3060Ti and possibly the 3070 wouldn't be good enough for you since they're limited to 8GB, but they are just mid-ranged gaming cards in the lineup that's available from Nvidia.

Also, you need to stop comparing prices of 5-6 years ago to prices now. Things have changed, prices are up.

Even the RX 480 card that had MSRP of $239, just from inflation alone would almost see a 12% increase, putting it at $270 for today's cost.
But, it was also using different tech (GDDR5 vs GDDR6), so you can't just outright compare and older generation and boldly claim prices these days are way out of line for what's being provided as stuff from 5/6/7 years ago. Prices have gone up from other factors, too; such as tariffs, wage increases, costs of raw material, etc.

I don't disagree that prices seem high for what is offered, but time has moved on and prices are going up. On the bright side of things mid-ranged cards from Nvidia have been having an uptick in available RAM as new generations come out.
GTX 760 was 2GB
GTX 960 was 4GB
GTX 1060 was 3GB and 6GB
RTX 2060 was 6GB
RTX 3060 is 12GB (let's face it, 12GB on a 3060 is wasted, if possible to put 8GB would have been just fine, but I don't think 6GB wouldn't have been enough for it)
RTX 3060Ti is 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.