1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

About the Arctic Heatsink and fan,,

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jimst45651, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello I am confused here,I got the Arctic freezer pro 64 with fan,and I am trying to find out about the copper part some say already has the thermal material on it, so I am wondering should I just put the thing on top of my Processor, or do I need to put some thermal stuff I got with this product,,I mean I don't want to burn up a new AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4200+ socket 939 processor,,in other words do I need to cover the processor with this tube of stuff before I install the heat-sick and fan,,Thanks

2. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    look at the bottom if theres white gunk on it then no it is fine and ready to go plop it on your 4200 :D if it has no gunk on the bottom the you need to put thermal paste on it i recommend AS cermique

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Is there any Grey/silver stuff on the bottom of the heatsink?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes,,,,

On the part coming from the copper tubes,,its a light gray color,,is that Arctic already applied thermal stuff,,

5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    they usually come with thermal paste on.it should have a square of paste on the bottom with a plastic cover.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    then plug adn go your just fine ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    tigger69 yes it does have the square and plastic cover, I guess I won't need to ad paste to my AMD processor then,,???

8. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    they usually come with thermal paste on.it should have a square of paste on the bottom with a plastic cover

tigger69,,,yes it does have the square and plastic cover, I guess I won't need to ad paste to my AMD processor then,,???

9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Nope, you do not need to add any paste to your processor. Just take the plastic cover off, and fit it to your CPU :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty rare that a heatsink doesn't come with TIM applied, at least from Arctic. You should be good, did you read the instructions for installation, that should clarify the rest of it for you as-well-as let you know whether or not it had paste already applied. Hope that helps! :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok you guys Thanks for the infomation,,

Ok thanks guys for that important infomation,,,I did not want to burn up a AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4200+ -939 processor,,,if ya know what I mean,,,

Mussels says thanks.
  12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    no problem :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kursah

Pretty rare that a heatsink doesn't come with TIM applied, at least from Arctic. You should be good, did you read the instructions for installation, that should clarify the rest of it for you as-well-as let you know whether or not it had paste already applied. Hope that helps! :toast:

Hey with that arctic ,do you thing I should buy another power supply,,I already got this one installed ,Dynex 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply, do I need upgrade my power supply you think?

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i commend you on being smart!

the grey 'paste' for lack of a better word that arctic cooling apply, comes in three lines on their intel models - its not a paste in a tube, its some semi-solid substance already on the bottom of the heatsink (the copper part, that touches the CPU), and i think its the same for their AMD coolers.

so if it has something there, its all good - if not, apply some paste.

For your reference, you only need paste on one of the two parts - it spreads out as you press them together.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. jimst45651 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well ,,,,

From what I understand is that the Arctic already has the thermal stuff on it when you buy it and all you have to do is just remove the clear plastic cover before installation,,, found that at Arctic site,mine,is not Intel but is a AMD processor,,

16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

No need for the big letters.

I'll assume english isnt your first language, hence the misunderstanding.

i said "with the intel coolers" because *i* have intel, and therefore used the intel cooler - i was saying what the intel one looked like, because it should be the same as the AMD one.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Certainly when I bought my old Freezer pro 64 it came pre-applied with a "Thermal compound Pad" that did require the adhesive top cover to be pulled off. There was a lot of talk at the time if these pads were as effective as say AS5....but AMD tests show they were.

If you take a look at Wizz's very own review of the 64Pro, you can see that it is Artic Coolings MX1 thermal compound....it's here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ArcticCooling/Freezer64Pro

If you take a look at the bottom of page 4 you will see that the pre-applied is good stuff!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU