• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 mini review and support

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Hi folks, first time posting here.
I got an eVGA 275... it was pushing at 89C, which is way too hot for me. I have an Antec P180, got 1 120mm at the bottom, 1 at the top, 1 in the front, and 1 in the back, so my cooling is sufficient, my Processor has a Noctua push/pull...

I ordered a Accelero Xtreme and some Scythe heatsinks, so my question is, where the heck should I put those, I thought it would be almost the same as the 285GTX on the inside, boy was I really wrong...
Can someone help me by maybe circling what I need to do, kind of like what was done with the picture of the GTX285?

Pardon the Thermal Pads, as this was the only pic I could find online...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/drewsillac/gtx275.jpg

Thanks Again for all of these threads, they were really useful.

First up, you might need to remove to top HDD gace from P180. Might be too long to for else with the cooler (but you should know better how close it's coming now).

Here we go:

Zotac GTX 275 stock cooler cools both the red and orange spots. Inno3D only the red ones.

So minimum would be the reds, best to do both red and orange and for added safety the yellow ones too.

Purple circle marks the component that is too tall in GTX 275 and some GTX 285 cards for the supplied NVIO sink, as trt740 found out. You'll have to come up with a different solution there, maybe something like thebeephaha did earlier on previous page (motherboard southbridge sink).

edit: might fit best if you use the Accelero RAM sinks on the orange/yellow VRM area and Scythe sinks for rest.

Last edited:

Drewsillac

Yep, the top HDD cage had to be removed in order to put a front fan on it...
Guys, that's exactly what I was looking for!!!

I'll figure it out and post when I get it done, should be sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

What should I do with the Thermal pads that come with the cooler?
Also, should I just use the adhesive already on the Scythe sinks?

When I had my HR-03 Plus on my 8800GTX, I used the Arctic Silver bond Adhesive, but I really don't want to make things permanant...

Again, thanks for the help, you make us newbies feel welcome!

Drew

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
Yep, the top HDD cage had to be removed in order to put a front fan on it...
Guys, that's exactly what I was looking for!!!

I'll figure it out and post when I get it done, should be sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

What should I do with the Thermal pads that come with the cooler?
Also, should I just use the adhesive already on the Scythe sinks?

When I had my HR-03 Plus on my 8800GTX, I used the Arctic Silver bond Adhesive, but I really don't want to make things permanant...

Again, thanks for the help, you make us newbies feel welcome!

Drew

the adhesive might be needed on the rear chip but other than that thermal tapes fine if it comes with the heat sinks just use and eraser on the chips.

Drewsillac

Thanks,
What about the R22 chips highlighted in orange, do I need to Sink them? Could that cause the Cooler not to attach?

So, I SHOULD go ahead and sink the chip on the otherside, even though it was never sinked?

Again, you guys rock...

Drew

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Thanks,
What about the R22 chips highlighted in orange, do I need to Sink them? Could that cause the Cooler not to attach?

So, I SHOULD go ahead and sink the chip on the otherside, even though it was never sinked?

Again, you guys rock...

Drew

I don't think you do air cools them on some stock coolers and the accelero pushes way more air than the stock cooler. On the 275 gtx the red is truly all you need the rest is kinda overkill but I like overkill.

Demented71

System Name W.O.A.R.
Processor E8500 @ 4.22Ghz [443x9.5][1.328v][I:29c-L:54c]
Motherboard Rampage Formula x48 [803 BIOS]
Cooling Zalman 9500 (Soon Zalman 9700LED)
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper @ 1111Mhz [5-5-5-15-2T][2.2v]
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 280 OCX [C:729/M:1325/S:1512](For Now)
Storage 1 WD SATA 250GB [OS] + 1 WD SATA 640GB [STUFF]
Display(s) Acer AL2223W 22"
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Power Supply 700w OCZ GameXStream
Demented71, I just did the installation it's not that bad. The one thing I'd recommend is that you at least give the enzotechs a shot. If you find someone who is willing to sell their old stock heatsink and everything there's no way it's cheaper than the 10 bucks or so you can get a set of the enzos for.

My results aren't as good as Bikers were, but that's only during Furmark. During gaming and folding my temps are good on the VRMs. If you're American you can get the enzos from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011

I can post pics of the installation of them if you'd like.

I'd actually like to see a screenie of your VRM temps. Furmark does stress my card a lot more than gaming. Even in Crysis my GPU only gets to about 70-72c max, while same OC in Furmark has it top out at 85c. You also said you used the included thermal tape to attach the Enzo's. Did you mean the tape included with the Accelero or the Enzo's? I have some leftover thermal pads from when I redid my 9800GTX, and since the VRM's are small, I think I have enough. Will that suffice?

I have noticed that while gaming the VRM temps don't seem bad at all, so I can see how the Enzotech's would probably be a pretty good solution. Will I have to trim them at all?

Anyways, thanks again guys. This site is slowly becoming my 2nd favorite place. ;)

Last edited:

OnBoard

Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Could I use the following for the secondary chip (NVIO) ?:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/drewsillac/heatsink-1.jpg
It came with my Scythe 1000 set...just center it on the the chip and use some adhesive to nail it down?

If you guys say no, I'll go with this:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ensllowprcoc.html

Yes, it'll work, if you can get it to stick there. Maybe cool both the NVIO chip and the mosfets on the left to have stability (if they are in same height).

Like trt740 said, leaving stuff unsinked on the card is fine too. With stock cooler most of the stuff doesn't get airflow and thus must connect not to get hot. With Accelero there is airflow to every spot and nothing hot on top.

GTX 275 would be just so joy to sink (compared to GTX 280), as there are no components in the VRM area in way.

I have noticed that while gaming the VRM temps don't seem bad at all, so I can see how the Enzotech's would probably be a pretty good solution. Will I have to trim them at all?

3mm too much in them, if I remember correctly. Personally I would just bend the ends, so there is more material to cool.

undetermined

System Name Jane
Processor Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.33 ghz, HT and Turbo Enabled
Motherboard Foxconn Bloodrage
Cooling Noctua U12-P SE1336
Memory 6GB Mushkin at 7-8-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) 1 x XFX GTX 280, 1 x EVGA GTX 280 (SLi for games, separate for Folding)
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB, 2x WD RE 250GB in RAID 0
Display(s) BENQ 2400WD
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply CoolerMaster 1000W Real Power Pro
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 SP2
I wouldn't use the NVIO sink provided with the Scythe set on the GTX 280. Honestly the main reason to use the scythes is because the AC ones just don't stick well. Since you screw the NVIO sink down it works really well. The other sinks would be fine if they actually stuck (mine didn't). This is a pic of my assembly before I mounted the fan. I ended up using toothpicks to hold the spacers in place when I lowered the card on the fan. Also, I might have overdone the amount of Arctic Silver I put on there, but I dunno so don't make fun. The enzos were definitely 3mm too high. Bending them was ineffective (I broke one of the prongs trying that) for me, but it could work.

Demented I'll get that screen cap for you in just a second;)

Drewsillac

Yes, it'll work, if you can get it to stick there. Maybe cool both the NVIO chip and the mosfets on the left to have stability (if they are in same height).

Like trt740 said, leaving stuff unsinked on the card is fine too. With stock cooler most of the stuff doesn't get airflow and thus must connect not to get hot. With Accelero there is airflow to every spot and nothing hot on top.

GTX 275 would be just so joy to sink (compared to GTX 280), as there are no components in the VRM area in way.

3mm too much in them, if I remember correctly. Personally I would just bend the ends, so there is more material to cool.

I went ahead and ordered the Enzo low profile S/B for 15 bucks...
It should screw in, so my question is, should I use the thermal pad or AS5?

Amazing how the cooler is $60, the sinks were $10, and the S/B sink was $15, starts adding up, especially when you purchase these from 3 different places and pay shipping for each thing...
Thanks Arctic Cooler for not giving us a complete product (they shouldn't advertise compatibility with the GTX275 if the NVIO cooler isn't compatible)...

You all have been a huge help... I should get the other part by Friday, I'll be sure to take some swell pics...

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple

Amazing how the cooler is $60, the sinks were $10, and the S/B sink was $15, starts adding up, especially when you purchase these from 3 different places and pay shipping for each thing...
Thanks Arctic Cooler for not giving us a complete product (they shouldn't advertise compatibility with the GTX275 if the NVIO cooler isn't compatible)...

You all have been a huge help... I should get the other part by Friday, I'll be sure to take some swell pics...

AS5 thermal pads suck.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple

What I did was cut the rear NVIO heasink they sent , because the center post like yours was too tall for the screws to tighten or to let the large NVIO heatsink sit level. Then I used adhesive to attach NVIO chips to the large NVIO heatsink that I had cut to fit and attached the rear side of the large NVIO heatsink to the back of the vga port bracket using adhesive aswell. This gave the heat sink more stability connecting it two places making it strong as hell.

like this

Last edited:

OnBoard

I wouldn't use the NVIO sink provided with the Scythe set on the GTX 280. Honestly the main reason to use the scythes is because the AC ones just don't stick well. Since you screw the NVIO sink down it works really well.

The enzos were definitely 3mm too high. Bending them was ineffective (I broke one of the prongs trying that) for me, but it could work.

Accelero NVIO sink doesn't fit GTX 275, because there is a bigger (higher) component used between NVIO chip and the RAM modules, hence the talk of other solutions.

So the enzos are harder than I thought, better to cut then than bend if they are prone to break.

That Enzotech Chipset sink sure is sexy :twitch: Minuscule drop of AS5 will get the job done, no point of using thermal tape when it's not needed to hold a sink down.

I went with the chop the stock cooler to keep the adding costs down :)

I'll be sure to tune in at the end of the week for some nice pics.

------

Over 10,000 views! Sorry I have nothing special for this occasion, other than :toast:

Last edited:

Drewsillac

Well I got my all my Sinks on except for the NVIO...
It'll come on Monday, makes me wish I would have spent the extra 3 bucks for 2nd day...
I thought it would get here tomorrow.

One thing I did notice, I tried on the Accelero cooler (without touching the GPU to the heatsink, and it looks like I might have some issues with the fins in the area by the SVideo and the transistors, I can't really tell yet...

But was that a pretty tight fit? Did anyone else have issues with it on the 275 reference?

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Well I got my all my Sinks on except for the NVIO...
It'll come on Monday, makes me wish I would have spent the extra 3 bucks for 2nd day...
I thought it would get here tomorrow.

One thing I did notice, I tried on the Accelero cooler (without touching the GPU to the heatsink, and it looks like I might have some issues with the fins in the area by the SVideo and the transistors, I can't really tell yet...

But was that a pretty tight fit? Did anyone else have issues with it on the 275 reference?

take a photo so we can see how it looks so far

Drewsillac

Don't have a camera on me at work :banghead:
I'll take the card home tonight and try to get some pics in...

Still wating on the Enzo low pro sink...

OnBoard

I posted a picture couple pages back (well that was quite a few pages back, so here again). Yes the sink makes contact with the SVideo port, but it still installs fine. You can bend couple fins to make it fit better (like I did after this installation).

edit: If someone brakes (like weiern did :p) the fans in this one, these could be used to replace:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=97114

Two of them would be the same width as three of the Accelero fans and still remain 3slots.

Last edited:

Drewsillac

Scythe fans are definitely my favorite....very good performers and replacement fans!
I didn't get any pics going last night, I crashed pretty early... long day...

But on Monday, when I get the Copper Sink for my NVIO, I'll take pics and post 'em.
I think I overkilled things a bit, but I think I did a good job, so far...

FYI, I had no sticking issues with the long Accelero RAM sinks... I used both.

I used ArctiClean 1 and 2..

Last edited:
System Name Habu
Processor Intel i7-4940K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-AR
Cooling Noctua
Memory 16 GB ?
Video Card(s) EVGA 780ti
Storage Crucial M4 256 GB, WD Black 1 TB
Display(s) Dell 19"
Case Corsair 540 AIR
Power Supply Silverstone
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, SP 2
Hi there! This is my first post on this site and I have been watching this thread with great interest. Because of you guys I bought me a couple of these coolers for both of my BFG GTX 275s. I have one just about ready to go and it sure has been a pain in the butt to get to this point. I ended up taking a hacksaw to the NVIO heatsink in order to make it fit.
AC definitely needs to rethink claiming what board this cooler fits. I'm sure it'll be awesome once it gets going, but I spent too much extra money on parts, shipping and hacksaw time to make it all fit. :banghead:

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
I'm gonna attempt to put one on my BFG 260 216 max core 55 nm

I ordered this kit it should fit the VRM and have enough heat sinks to cover any left over ram chips . There should only be one or two depending on if I one use the extra large Thermalright ram heat sink they include or two cut the NVIO chip heat sink that AC sends with the cooler, so I can Heat sink the rear two ram chips, but we will see. I was also thinking of just using the 285 gtx voltage regular heat sink (include in this kit) for the rear NVIO chip and just thermal adhesive it on. The 260 gtx 55nm doesn't use the same voltage regular set up as the 285 gtx so it won't be in use. I have a reference PCB 260 gtx 55 nm , but I don't like that the rear A/C NVIO heatsink covers the last two ram sinks with thick thermal pads.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thgtx28vrsi.html

Last edited:

Drewsillac

I ordered this kit it should fit the VRM and have enough heat sinks to cover any left over ram chips . There should only be one or two depending on if I one use the extra large Thermalright ram heat sink they include or two cut the NVIO chip heat sink that AC sends with the cooler, so I can Heat sink the rear two ram chips, but we will see. I was also thinking of just using the 285 gtx voltage regular heat sink (include in this kit) for the rear NVIO chip and just thermal adhesive it on. The 260 gtx 55nm doesn't use the same voltage regular set up as the 285 gtx so it won't be in use. I have a reference PCB 260 gtx 55 nm PCB but I don't like that the rear A/C NVIO heatsink covers the last two ram sinks with thick thermal pads.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thgtx28vrsi.html

Is there anything I need to sink of the backside of the GTX 275? I figured that would be over, over kill :)
And dang, I wish I would have seen those before dropping $20 bucks on just an NVIO sink...

Drewsillac

Hi there! This is my first post on this site and I have been watching this thread with great interest. Because of you guys I bought me a couple of these coolers for both of my BFG GTX 275s. I have one just about ready to go and it sure has been a pain in the butt to get to this point. I ended up taking a hacksaw to the NVIO heatsink in order to make it fit.
AC definitely needs to rethink claiming what board this cooler fits. I'm sure it'll be awesome once it gets going, but I spent too much extra money on parts, shipping and hacksaw time to make it all fit. :banghead:

Question:
Will you be able to SLI these?

OnBoard

Is there anything I need to sink of the backside of the GTX 275? I figured that would be over, over kill :)
And dang, I wish I would have seen those before dropping $20 bucks on just an NVIO sink...

Nope, backside cooling is only needed on GTX 280 / GTX 260 65nm. Those Thermalright sinks don't include NVIO sink, as that is supplied with the HR-03 cooler. They are just extra for what's missing for the never cards (something Arctic Cooling should have too..).

Question:
Will you be able to SLI these?

With top and bottom slots in a 3 way SLI mobo. Correct me if I'm wrong but every SLI mobo (I've seen) has just two slots in between the top 2 slots.

System specs would be nice for tjmagneto. Glad you have enjoyed the thread, I just hope that the cards will still fit after all your trouble.

edit: ah, there is SLI mobos with 3 slots cap too http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/msi/p6n-sli/board.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Nope, backside cooling is only needed on GTX 280 / GTX 260 65nm. Those Thermalright sinks don't include NVIO sink, as that is supplied with the HR-03 cooler. They are just extra for what's missing for the never cards (something Arctic Cooling should have too..).

With top and bottom slots in a 3 way SLI mobo. Correct me if I'm wrong but every SLI mobo (I've seen) has just two slots in between the top 2 slots.

System specs would be nice for tjmagneto. Glad you have enjoyed the thread, I just hope that the cards will still fit after all your trouble.

You could make that Thermalright VRM heat sink into a Nvio heatsink no problem.

OnBoard

You could make that Thermalright VRM heat sink into a Nvio heatsink no problem.

Yep, looks pretty long. 2 holes drilled on right spots could do it.