• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

access point from company router

CUSACKOTG

Processor AMD athlon 3000 (venice?)
Motherboard ABIT SLI AN8 Guru
Cooling Thermaltake fans all over the case
Memory 2 X 512mb Geil DDR 400
Video Card(s) X800 ATI Radeon
Storage 37gb Raptor WD- 10000Rpm
Display(s) 21 inch Hp p1130 - NOT lcd but a killer mon anyway
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) WANTING one
Power Supply 430w Thermaltake
Software I want a version of LINUX that does all (i have xp)
Hello,

I wish to run an ethernet line from our router (which has an extra IP address i have been using on my MAC G3 notebook) to an access point on the 5th level of our building. The router is on the second level. Is it possible for my MAC to detect the access point and configure it using the IP address I usually use? My colleagues and I want to receive the wireless signal from the access point between levels 2- 5 (max distance 4om) but we are not sure how to configure the access point. Hopefully when we plug it into the (non-wireless router) via ethernet , my MAC will be able to detect it and then we can configure it..????

We intend to buy an apple AirPort Extreme base station wireless access point- it will run off the non wireless: ezxs16w linksys router.

Cheers in advance for any help- we don't really have a clue about basic networking...

Josh

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Why do you want to keep the same IP address? Do you need it to be the same to access company programs, and enter firewalls?

I'm not entirely sure from your description how your current router is configured. I need more details about your current network and router configuration.

If your router is configured to assign only a limited number of IP address, it will always assign your notebook the only remaining IP address. However, the router you use as an access point will initially be set to automatically assign IP address that may not be in this range. You may be able to disable DHCP to avoid having your access point assign IP addresses to devices.

Make sure the two routers have non-conflicting IP addresses that only differ in the last number; e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2.

What you want to do is possible, but you would be best off consulting your IT department, since they are most familiar with your network architecture.

CUSACKOTG

Processor AMD athlon 3000 (venice?)
Motherboard ABIT SLI AN8 Guru
Cooling Thermaltake fans all over the case
Memory 2 X 512mb Geil DDR 400
Video Card(s) X800 ATI Radeon
Storage 37gb Raptor WD- 10000Rpm
Display(s) 21 inch Hp p1130 - NOT lcd but a killer mon anyway
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) WANTING one
Power Supply 430w Thermaltake
Software I want a version of LINUX that does all (i have xp)
Thanks Thermopalye,

It turns out that or IT DEPT. is going to sort it out after all.

We were originally going to set up (and pay for) the hardware ourselves but the company has realised the benefits of wireless in the building so they are going to do it...

Regards

Josh