• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AHCI SSD and Raid HDDs - Vertex 3 or Samsung 830 SSD

Processor i7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 ITX
Cooling Corsair A50 (CPU) and Antec Kuhler 620 (GPU)
Memory G. Skill 8GB 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 290X
Storage OCZ SSD and 1TB Hardrive
Display(s) Dell S2415h
Case Cheap Cougar Case
Power Supply Corsair 650w PSU
Software Windows 10
I finally got my first SSD (Kingston V100 64GB) and need some help with the BIOS settings. I know that it should be set to AHCI mode, but then I can't run my Samsung F3s in Raid anymore. I guess I could do software raid in Windows 7, but that doesn't seem to be as fast as hardware raid right? If I set the BIOS to raid, then the SSD isn't in AHCI mode anymore is it?

I also ordered another Vertex 3 64GB and Samsung 830 64GB, but can't decide on which one to keep. Which one would you all recommend, as it will mostly be used for games? I know the Vertex 3 is faster, but it seems like it either work amazingly well, or causes BSOD frequently. The 830 has lower write speeds, but so far it seems the Samsung SSD are reliable. I know my motherboard only has Sata 2 ports, but I will either be buying a Sandy Bridge system this year, or Ivy Bridge when it is released.

Set it to RAID. You can still use other drives (including the primary) as singles. RAID has full AHCI functionality.

I'd go with the V3 myself and do regular backups.