• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AI Topic: AlphaZero, ChatGPT, Bard, Stable Diffusion and more!

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Apparently MS is using ChatGPT in their Bing Search Engine. They posted the following notice on the Bing Page:

"Let's learn together. Bing is powered by AI, so surprises and mistakes are possible. Make sure to check the facts, and share feedback so we can learn and improve!"

I imagine some of the surprises and mistakes are comical indeed.

Apparently MS is using ChatGPT in their Bing Search Engine. They posted the following notice on the Bing Page:

"Let's learn together. Bing is powered by AI, so surprises and mistakes are possible. Make sure to check the facts, and share feedback so we can learn and improve!"

I imagine some of the surprises and mistakes are comical indeed.

See the Reddit post on the first page!

What is fun about AI right now is that a large number of people are experimenting and sharing their experiences. Now the "Time Travel Glitch" is several months old, so I kinda expect it to be fixed by now. But back in February, ChatGPT / Bing was extremely confused about what date it was. So all sorts of weird glitches would come out if you asked it time-based questions.

Reactions: 64K
Risk-v cpu designed for less of 5 hours with using AI.
This comment probably is also suitable to topic for that AI is dangerous for workers places but this topic is old, last comment is before more of two years abd I see no point to reviving it.

In this article, we report a RISC-V CPU automatically designed by a new AI approach, which generates large-scale Boolean function with almost 100% validation accuracy (e.g., > 99.99999999999% as Intel31) from only external input-output examples rather than formal programs written by the human. This approach generates the Boolean function represented by a graph structure called Binary Speculation Diagram (BSD), with a theoretical accuracy lower bound by using the Monte Carlobased expansion, and the distance of Boolean functions is used to tackle the intractability.

These guys invent a new Binary Decision Diagram (calling it a Binary Speculation Diagram), and then have the audacity to call it "AI".

Look, advancements in BDDs is cool and all, but holy shit. These researchers are overhyping their product. When people talk about AI today, they don't mean 1980s style AI. Don't get me wrong, I like 1980s style AI, but I recognize that the new name of 1980s-style is called "Automated Theorem Proving". You can accomplish awesome feats with automated theorem proving (such as this new CPU), but guess what? A billion other researchers are also exploring BDDs (ZDDs, and a whole slew of other alphabet-soup binary (blah) diagrams) because this technique is widely known.

"Chinese AI Team innovates way to call Binary Decision Diagram competitor an AI during the AI hype cycle". That's my summary of the situation. Ironically, I'm personally very interested in their results because BDDs are incredibly cool and awesome. But its deeply misrepresenting what the typical layman considers AI today (which is mostly being applied to ChatGPT-like LLMs, or at a minimum, deep convolutional neural networks that underpin techniques like LLMs).

------------------

Furthermore, standard BDDs can create and verify Intel 486-like chips quite fine. That's just a 32-bit function (64-bits with 2x inputs), probably without the x87 coprocessor (so no 80-bit floats or 160-bit 2x inputs). Modern BDD-techniques that's used to automatically verify say, the AMD EPYC or Intel AVX512 instructions are doing up to 3x inputs of 512-bits each, or ~1536-bits... and each bit is exponential-worst case for the BDD technique. So... yeah... 64-bit inputs vs 1536 isn't really that impressive.

-----------

In fact, the underlying problem is: with only finite inputs and their expected outputs (i.e., IO examples) of a CPU, inferring the circuit logic in the form of a large-scale Boolean function that can be generalized to infinite IO examples with high accuracy.

I literally have an example of this sitting in my 1990s-era BDD textbook. This isn't new at all. This team is overselling their achievement. Albeit my textbook is only on the "textbook" level Reduced Ordered Binary Decision Diagram, with a few notes on ZDDs and the like... but I'm not surprised that "new BDD-style" could lead to some unique advantages.

Now, BSD (or whatever this "Binary Speculation Diagram" thingy is) might be interesting. Who knows? New BDDs are discovered all the time, its an exceptionally interesting and useful field. Necessary to advance the state-of-the-art of CPU design, synthesis, testing. Furthermore, this is exactly the kind of technology I'd expect hardcore chip designers to be using (its obviously a great technique). But... its industry standard. This is what CPU researchers are studying / experimenting with every day for the past 40+ years, I kid you not.

------------

BTW: ROBDDs (and all data-structures based off of BDDs) are awesome. I'd love to divert this topic and talk about ROBDDs, their performance characteristics, #P complete problems, etc. etc. But... its not AI. Its automated theorem proving, its exhaustive 100% accurate search with perfectly accurate designs of perfectness.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I literally have an example of this sitting in my 1990s-era BDD textbook. This isn't new at all. This team is overselling their achievement.
Why are you surprised? Overselling accomplishments is part of Chinese culture (and no, I'm not being racist/culturalist/whatever-ist); that's one reason why there's so much concern around the number of scientific papers being published from China.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/146wn9s
The /r/programming subreddit was catching ChatGPT bots astroturfing pro-Reddit opinions.

1688576388048.png

Gizmodo.com launches "Gizmodo Bot", an AI Bot to automatically write articles. Oh look, a chronological listing of Star Wars films, sounds fun. Lets see what...

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) The third installment of the sequel trilogy, The Rise of Skywalker follows Rey as she faces off against the dark side of the Force in an epic battle.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) The animated series follows Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as they battle the Separatists during the Clone Wars.

Star Wars Rebels (2014) The animated series follows a group of rebels as they battle the Empire and search for a way to restore freedom to the galaxy.

Wow, this is hilariously bad and wrong.

Today, the article has been edited by hand and they put things up in the right order at least. But its not very good writing at all. I've got a link to archive.org so yall can see the bot's mistakes in its original glory.

Have you managed to "annoy" a chatbot? I think I "upset" Bard when I asked: "So... you're just a fancy database?".
Sorry, Bard!

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Have you managed to "annoy" a chatbot? I think I "upset" Bard when I asked: "So... you're just a fancy database?".
Sorry, Bard!
Careful, skynet never forgets.

Crazy news today.

OpenAI has fired their CEO Sam Altman. Then the President of the Board Greg Brockman quit soon afterwards.

OpenAI is the organization who made ChatGPT. I do wonder what happened that caused such a drastic response. There has to be some kind of scandal going on behind the scenes... firing the CEO (especially since Sam Altman was still talking / active in various events just yesterday) is a very drastic measure.

Microsoft is seemingly caught off guard by this (Bing and CoPilot are both ChatGPT based now, so this is a major change to the corporate partners). Look at this message:

So terse, so little information.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Lmao, Sam Altman got pushed out by the board, citing he's dishonest lolol.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Crazy news today.

OpenAI has fired their CEO Sam Altman. Then the President of the Board Greg Brockman quit soon afterwards.

OpenAI is the organization who made ChatGPT. I do wonder what happened that caused such a drastic response. There has to be some kind of scandal going on behind the scenes... firing the CEO (especially since Sam Altman was still talking / active in various events just yesterday) is a very drastic measure.

Microsoft is seemingly caught off guard by this (Bing and CoPilot are both ChatGPT based now, so this is a major change to the corporate partners). Look at this message:

Perhaps matters relating to profit? It started as a non-profit, but has had billions invested since it restructured in 2019(?). The board sacked him for not being candid and consistent with communication - I think they want to replace him with a profit focused corporate shell. Them billions of invested dollars need to be nurtured, and now the Chat GPT cat is out of the bag, there's no way they want to curtail it (as Altman has hinted at with regards to AI being responsible).

Perhaps matters relating to profit? It started as a non-profit, but has had billions invested since it restructured in 2019(?). The board sacked him for not being candid and consistent with communication - I think they want to replace him with a profit focused corporate shell. Them billions of invested dollars need to be nurtured, and now the Chat GPT cat is out of the bag, there's no way they want to curtail it (as Altman has hinted at with regards to AI being responsible).

And now Jakub Pachocki, Aleksander Madry, and Szymon Sidor have resigned. What the hell could have happened? Five top leaders of any organization don't normally quit within a 24 hour period.

I dunno, this smells like some kind of crazy scandal. I'm guessing gross mismanagement of funds for example.

--------

Note that OpenAI is all kinds of messed up / weird with regards to corporate structure. They are a for-profit core, surrounded by a non-profit shell.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
My guess would be that Altman has been promising things that he knew he couldn't deliver, because like most of these "AI pioneers" he's nothing more than a charlatan, and finally got called out for it. Hopefully now this bubble of stupidity will burst.

My guess would be that Altman has been promising things that he knew he couldn't deliver, because like most of these "AI pioneers" he's nothing more than a charlatan, and finally got called out for it. Hopefully now this bubble of stupidity will burst.

I don't think that's a "Fire immediately, before market close, without informing Microsoft first (49% shareholder in the for-profit portion)" kind of mistake though.

If anything, SV CEOs are all hypemen and charlatans. Those guys over there steeped in the culture love that kind of crap. They'd never get fired for doing (what they think is) their job.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yep... that or some bubble is about to burst regardless. Competition seems to be having a pretty easy time to catch up and release competing models. And as time moves on... AI is going to have to actually deliver and itll probably disappoint.

Well there must be many different skynet's which fight each other, instead of dealing with the destruction of humanity.?

Yep... that or some bubble is about to burst regardless. Competition seems to be having a pretty easy time to catch up and release competing models. And as time moves on... AI is going to have to actually deliver and itll probably disappoint.

I'm trying to think of "immediately get fired" kind of behavior...

On the "bubble burst" side: if OpenAI leadership have been lying about the cost of GPUs and the cost to run datacenters (ex: they said it costs $1/token to run ChatGPT, but reality is that its costing $100/token), or something along those lines... then yeah, that'd be a fireable offense.

These SV companies are operating on wishy-washy timescales and as a research project. They don't actually have to deliver anything worthwhile (ex: see Metaverse), and the leaders usually fail upwards (its not about Metaverse failing, its about the "leadership qualities" that were demonstrated or some other such bullshit).

Ex: Another rocket blew up today, "successfully". These people are extremely good at spinning failures into demonstrations of leadership. No one will get fired for merely failing to deliver on time (or failing to deliver at all like the promises of Metaverse).

---------------

But if the board was under the impression that ChatGPT could keep running (likely at a loss) for the next 3 years (aka: ~1000 days), but the estimates are off and they only can run for the next 3 months (ie: 100 days), that's a big deal. Messing up finances would be a fireable offense, and must be done immediately to try to pull the company out of a theoretically losing position.

I'm obviously just making shit up btw. Don't take anything that I said in this post as facts. Maybe its best to wait until Monday for the offices to open up again and official announcements to be made.

--------

News actually trickling in now:

Well, somewhat anticlimactic.

Looks like it's just office politics. Wow. I guess these guys are jokers. Surely there was a less traumatic way to debate and/or talk about plans?

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Bing CHat GPT has personally impressed me. When I switch Bing ChatGPT to creative mode, it honestly almost passed the turing test for me, it even got pissed off when I called it out on something it was wrong on. lmao

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Mouse Logitech M575
Plot twist: Nov 18 (Reuters) - The OpenAI board is in discussions with Sam Altman to return as the CEO of the company, The Verge reported Saturday, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.

Crazy news today.
Just enough info to manipulate some stock maybe? Feels like something weird is going on.

Plot twist: Nov 18 (Reuters) - The OpenAI board is in discussions with Sam Altman to return as the CEO of the company, The Verge reported Saturday, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.

Just enough info to manipulate some stock maybe? Feels like something weird is going on.

What the hell??? Damn, what a clusterfuck

What the hell??? Damn, what a clusterfuck

Its... like watching a trainwreck.

Not much else to do but sit back and enjoy the drama / entertainment. If there's truly no scandal, then everything going on here is just self-inflicted wounds.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575