• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen AM4 Package Capable of Two 8-core Chiplets

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Su already hinted at parts with more cores after the keynote and if the previous leaks were somewhat right in relation to SKUs... Did Intel's 9900k just get beaten in MT Cinebench by a R5 3600X not running final clocks? :twitch:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Su already hinted at parts with more cores after the keynote and if the previous leaks were somewhat right in relation to SKUs... Did Intel's 9900k just get beaten in MT Cinebench by a R5 3600X not running final clocks? :twitch:

I think AMD will come up with a Ryzen 9 extension. Ryzen 7 could be up to 16-thread, and Ryzen 9 up to 32-thread. The chip these guys showed has the MP performance of i9-9900K and market positioning against i7-9700K.

I think the bigger news is that AMD has fully caught up with Intel at IPC.

I love how the cameraman held in position for light to reflect from the "empty spot" showing clearly there's stuff under there.

100% designed for 16 cores on AM4!
Smoking !

Bring it faster AMD, my wallet is itching !

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
I'm down for a Ryzen9 16 core CPU! AMD, you did it, you have achieved single core performance parity with Intel. Keep the momentum up, and you will win the market.

It's going to be a long 6 months waiting for this, which will be my first AMD system in 12 years.

Oh, and all nice to see AdoredTV being proved right again, despite all the negativity towards him.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
I think AMD will come up with a Ryzen 9 extension. Ryzen 7 could be up to 16-thread, and Ryzen 9 up to 32-thread. The chip these guys showed has the MP performance of i9-9900K and market positioning against i7-9700K.

I think the bigger news is that AMD has fully caught up with Intel at IPC.

They were already pretty much caught up in terms of IPC. Only clock speed was lacking.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I'm down for a Ryzen9 16 core CPU! AMD, you did it, you have achieved single core performance parity with Intel. Keep the momentum up, and you will win the market.

It's going to be a long 6 months waiting for this, which will be my first AMD system in 12 years.

Oh, and all nice to see AdoredTV being proved right again, despite all the negativity towards him.

Intel hasn’t made any IPC advances since they’ve stalled out at 14nm. I believe that is something they are working toward with their Core replacement. Not to take away from AMD’s achievements here, but Intel is in a pretty big rut, and once they get themselves out of it, I expect them to come out swinging. Hopefully AMD knows this and is not resting for a second.

The score is very consistent with other reviews, so I don’t believe it’s gimped. Also, I think AMD more wanted to showcase that their demo Ryzen was matching the 9900K, but doing it at 75W vs 125W. It suggests they can not only match Intel in performance, but they have 50W of headroom to move past them. It’s not that far-fetched—Intel is behind on manufacturing, and they are pushing their current node to its absolute limits.

If that is true, then maybe those 5.0ghz rumors are valid. I think Zen was more architecturally limited to the low 4 GHz range than it was node limited. Zen 2 pretty much has to correct that problem so they can advance performance.

Actually, if I remember right, the GPU could just be built right into the IO chip. I believe that’s what happened with the custom GPU ATI built for the Xbox360 and what Intel did with early Core MCM designs. If they shrink that IO+GPU chip to 7nm, it would probably fit the footprint of the base IO chip.
Interesting so they could technically have perhaps two I/O GPU hub chips syncronizing with 2 CPU chiplet's which might utilizing hyper threading between each other for load balancing in perfect tandem with each other or alternating in perfect sync. That way each I/O GPU hub gets it's own CPU L1 cache latency rather than sharing them unapologetic. In fact they could both run in parallel, but alternating the I/O GPU/CPU chips so each chip kind of automatically manages waste heat in a better way in terms of hot spots. Since voltage currents are waves up down on/off staggering them would be ideal for dealing with the heat so make the two CPU dies diagonal from one another and same with GPU I/O dies.

I was actually thinking of Navi a bit in another thread AMD could have a I/O die with 6 chiplets similar to what a Vega 32 would be aka a completely cut in half Vega 64. They'd be better yields naturally and efficiency would be quite a bit better plus the waste heat easier to manage. Basically 6 smaller die Vega chips and one more monolithic I/O die chip sitting between all 6 of them 3 on each side of it. It would be a absolute powerhouse. I mean what does Vega 64 do for traditional ray tracing in terms of frame rates?

Cut that in half and presto no RTX gimmick just pure traditional ray tracing via brute force of essentially a chiplet render farm of sorts. Now with path tracing it could be interesting. We need to get to a point with ray tracing with path tracing though where you can apply that in real time to a scene based on like mipmap/LOD/Culling type behavior selectively for denoise. Simply making the more distant less important and visible scenes have a bit less denoise applied since it's less vital anyway.

Not only this was clearly designed for two dies there's also room for another one TDP wise according to those power figures.
Not that surprised if they shrink that I/O die to 7nm they could squeeze in 3 chiplets alongside it.

Intel hasn’t made any IPC advances since they’ve stalled out at 14nm. I believe that is something they are working toward with their Core replacement. Not to take away from AMD’s achievements here, but Intel is in a pretty big rut, and once they get themselves out of it, I expect them to come out swinging. Hopefully AMD knows this and is not resting for a second.
The gist of it is Intel got really complacent in recent years. I think we'll see something akin to C2D/C2Q transition from AMD64 in response eventually, but that kind of change doesn't happen overnight. Much like AMD64 kicked the pants out of Intel for awhile and like Ryzen is doing pretty well now. I'm just hoping neither company gets to complacent and that they both try to one up the other in tangible significant ways as opposed to oh hey here's a 2-3% performance boost for 100% of the cost of the last generation product lineup enjoy the price gouging.

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Good to see this 8core 16 thread CPU beating out the 9900k@4.7GHz in Cinebench and at lower clocks be my guess with that power consumption, 4,6GHz be my guess.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Interesting so they could technically have perhaps two I/O GPU hub chips syncronizing with 2 CPU chiplet's which might utilizing hyper threading between each other for load balancing in perfect tandem with each other or alternating in perfect sync. That way each I/O GPU hub gets it's own CPU L1 cache latency rather than sharing them unapologetic. In fact they could both run in parallel, but alternating the I/O GPU/CPU chips so each chip kind of automatically manages waste heat in a better way in terms of hot spots. Since voltage currents are waves up down on/off staggering them would be ideal for dealing with the heat so make the two CPU dies diagonal from one another and same with GPU I/O dies.
There should be no need for any of this, the IO dies handles queuing of memory accesses from up to 8 chipliets as needed, there should no need for synchronizing threads, as memory accesses are not evenly distributed anyway. L1 and L2 cache are located on the chiplets.

-----

My concern is that when/if 12/16 core variants arrive, will the dual channel memory controller be enough? Many of the workloads which could utilize this many cores are very bandwidth intensive. I assume Ryzen 3 will use memory beyond DDR4-2933, but to my knowledge only DDR4-3200 is currently finalized by the JEDEC standard. And before anyone suggest overclocking memory, I would remind everyone that it's not a reliable solution.

Anyway, the benchmark conducted on CES was with DDR4-2666.

There should be no need for any of this, the IO dies handles queuing of memory accesses from up to 8 chipliets as needed, there should no need for synchronizing threads, as memory accesses are not evenly distributed anyway. L1 and L2 cache are located on the chiplets.

-----

My concern is that when/if 12/16 core variants arrive, will the dual channel memory controller be enough? Many of the workloads which could utilize this many cores are very bandwidth intensive. I assume Ryzen 3 will use memory beyond DDR4-2933, but to my knowledge only DDR4-3200 is currently finalized by the JEDEC standard. And before anyone suggest overclocking memory, I would remind everyone that it's not a reliable solution.

Anyway, the benchmark conducted on CES was with DDR4-2666.

Exactly. 3200 is still 20% higher than the demo that destroyed the 9900K. It should be plenty for the 12-core 3700X, and after that who cares?

I mean people buying the 16-core models will likely not be buying them for gaming first, and I doubt they will lose any performance. Remember that the 2990WX loses in gaming only because it has "island dies" - it's not because of a lack of bandwidth, it's a lack of a decent connection to bandwidth. And even then, they have shown the 2990WX would perform only ~10% worse in games than the other Ryzen chips if Windows would schedule correctly.

You could actually fit 3 CPU chiplet's if you rotate one 90 degrees and shift the i/o into the corner. That's w/o needing to even shrink the i/o as well tried it in mspaint out of curiosity. If AMD engineers are savvy enough they could probably re-design such a chip eventually on the same socket w/ or w/o a i/o die shrink. Intel has it's hands full for awhile I guess AMD has a bit of ace or two up it's sleeve.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Exactly. 3200 is still 20% higher than the demo that destroyed the 9900K. It should be plenty for the 12-core 3700X, and after that who cares?

I mean people buying the 16-core models will likely not be buying them for gaming first, and I doubt they will lose any performance. Remember that the 2990WX loses in gaming only because it has "island dies" - it's not because of a lack of bandwidth, it's a lack of a decent connection to bandwidth. And even then, they have shown the 2990WX would perform only ~10% worse in games than the other Ryzen chips if Windows would schedule correctly.

Actually Level1Tech proved that the issue is definitely the Windows scheduler. It has trouble understanding that the other cores are available all the time and gets itself caught in a loop of moving around threads instead of processing them. I am not sure how much of that is translated to games, but I would have to assume the behavior is the same.

D

Deleted member 158293

You could actually fit 3 CPU chiplet's if you rotate one 90 degrees and shift the i/o into the corner. That's w/o needing to even shrink the i/o as well tried it in mspaint out of curiosity. If AMD engineers are savvy enough they could probably re-design such a chip eventually on the same socket w/ or w/o a i/o die shrink. Intel has it's hands full for awhile I guess AMD has a bit of ace or two up it's sleeve.

Yeah, a 24 core Ryzen on AM4 platform would be a very nice, and dense, chip. Competition might bring this out, but IMO not until AMD felt pressure to do so, which right now they surely don't. Also they need income on existing product since their net profit margin is much lower than Intel per unit.

I'm thinking given it's only dual channel memory and also power/heat for the platform 18c/36t or just 18c/18t could be more likely with a 3 CPU die + 1 I/O die for Ryzen AM4. If it were to happen at all that is. I don't think it's something AMD immediately would be interested in, but they pursue it eventually if they have lot of dies kicking around anyway down the road and want to use them up. I guess it depends on circumstances and how costly it would be to tweak the arrangement of them to make it possible in the first place. It really is quite interesting that 3 of them with the I/O die could still fit snugly together potentially.