• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and Creative Assembly to Deliver the Ultimate Alien: Isolation Experience

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Yawn....AMD.....

I find it funny how you complain about how the mods here have an inability to do their job with all the "trolls" on this site, yet you are one.......

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Just for the record, SLI (Scalable Link Interface) from NVIDIA has nothing to do with 3dfx SLI (Scan-Line Interleave).
I didn't say it did,.....

The aqasition resulted in the dismissals of a patent infringement claim though and any number of future such claims,......which probably weren't frivolous patent trolling.

The problem there is that the loss of 3Dfx was the loss of another player in the graphics segment of the market. Helping to leave us with the two camps that so many like to champion now.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
The aqasition resulted in the dismissals of a patent infringement claim though and any number of future such claims,......which probably weren't frivolous patent trolling.
The problem there is that the loss of 3Dfx was the loss of another player in the graphics segment of the market. Helping to leave us with the two camps that so many like to champion now.
OT
Well you can blame 3Dfx's demise on its own management - as Tarolli and Campbell have admitted on numerous occasions. Buying an overvalued company (GigaPixel) when your own financial base isn't secure is a great way to gut your company ( sound familiar?). Cutting out AIB's/partnering up with STB, and thinking that Juarez (Mexico) was a better manufacturing centre than Taiwan certainly didn't help.
In the end, 3Dfx just failed - failed with (mis-)management, and failed with a business evolving faster than their development. They weren't alone - 3DLabs (and Dynamic Pictures and Intergraph before them), Tseng Labs and Chromatic Research - all acquired by ATI, as well as Trident, Rendition, Number Nine, SiS/XGI (who picked up Trident), and S3/VIA (who picked up Number Nine) all lacked the force of will, knowledge base, and strategy that ATI and Nvidia employed.

Last edited:
I was referring to "Mantle does cost extra cause you have to modify the game code to use it".

Let's back it up.
Mantle does cost extra cause you have to modify the game code to use it, which also requires more time to debug etc. Most games with mantle now got a check from AMD to add it.

I might not have been clear, but I would love to see a source of any type to back the claim that AMD writes checks to devs to incorporate Mantle. People like to point to the Fudzilla article (usually quoted by some other source as to conceal who actually originated the article) where they stated that AMD paid EA 5-8 mil for the exclusive marketing rights to BF4. They gave no source for that claim at all, but even if it were true it doesn't even elude to Dice being paid to add the Mantle pathway. There has been no other articles from any industry sources showing/claiming AMD has to pay anyone to use Mantle. They now have over 70 devs in the beta program. It's obvious to anyone who thinks about it that Johan Andersson (Dice) is as much involved with Mantle as AMD is.

Of course it costs money to develop games with Mantle. I wasn't debating that. The devs who have gone on record using Mantle have said they do it because it's the highest performance API available. It allows them more freedom with their projects. Not that AMD has written anyone a check to pay them.

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
You must overdose AMD cool aid because I never did that.

Here Nike and Fly Emirates logos. Does it mean they are in football? No they are sponsors.

I was referring to "Mantle does cost extra cause you have to modify the game code to use it".

WoW, thats some elite trolling mate, you do realize HSA foundation and contribution fees are basically joining fees to promote a standard.

You skipped the questions that i have asked and are going with things that mantel cost - HSA cost - You even moronically trolled that Free sync requires a new monitor - (LOL yes its a new standard so wouldn't it require a new hardware genius)
- oh and Free sync will work with Nvidia card.

So here i am again asking the same question - do you find other big guns foolish to support and pay for joining HSA standard ???

What about all those PS4 and Xbox one games ruined by AMD ? They only run on AMD hardware.:shadedshu:

Tell me something, if you are graphic and CPU company and i say give me a chip (Should have latest tech) that can at-least do HD resolution gaming along with 8GB ram under 100 dollar (I am sure 100 is generous in real life this was lower) -Plus - support with the entire architecture and other upkeeps -

what do you do ???

EDIT: - Trust me there is a reason Nvidia didn't qualify.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Tell me something, if you are graphic and CPU company and i say give me a chip (Should have latest tech) that can at-least do HD resolution gaming along with 8GB ram under 100 dollar (I am sure 100 is generous in real life this was lower) -Plus - support with the entire architecture and other upkeeps -

what do you do ???

EDIT: - Trust me there is a reason Nvidia didn't qualify.

Where did you get the information on who got paid what in the development of the Xbox One/PS4/WiiU ?

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.