• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces FreeSync, Promises Fluid Displays More Affordable than G-SYNC

I disagree. Think about it - only GCN 1.1 cards support freesync. But all of nvidia's cards support g-sync. Obviously there's some kind of a component that does the hardware communication, that Amd decided to integrate into their newer cards while nvidia decided to keep it external. Both options have pros and cons.
Maybe the 980 has the hardware built in and doesn't need the external solution.

Wrong. Everything GTX 650 and up supports it.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN
Still waiting for this monitor:
24-25 inch size
IPS/AHVA/PLS display panel
WQHD resolution
120-144 Hz refresh rate
1 ms response time
AdaptiveSync support
no PWM flickering
(quasi) bezelless design

Come on LG.Display/Samsung/AU.Optronics I know you can do it!

Coherent proof requested, otherwise post is invalid. Seen enough posts saying things are possible with 'x' hardware when they're not.
Also, proof of it happening plus actual critical dissection by neutral source required.
If the above requirements can't be fulfilled, then its little more than Trolling.

What we can say is the adaptive v-sync pathway looks to be better for all involved (except perhaps Nvidia).
there is a link to a forum where an actual nvidia customer that claims it.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Mobile-G-Sync-Confirmed-and-Tested-Leaked-Alpha-Driver

I disagree. Think about it - only GCN 1.1 cards support freesync. But all of nvidia's cards support g-sync. Obviously there's some kind of a component that does the hardware communication, that Amd decided to integrate into their newer cards while nvidia decided to keep it external. Both options have pros and cons.
Maybe the 980 has the hardware built in and doesn't need the external solution.
I don't see anything that you can actually disagree.
I am not writing any opinion.
What I am saying is that nVidia is not telling you that G-sync is out there with a different name.
They have not invented the wheel, they are trying to re-invent it and charge you for it.
The part about GCN or GM1xx or GM2xx or some vliw architecture to support some-Sync technology goes like this:
If the eDP vX.X is supported by some GPU, then that GPU is able to support this some-Sync.
Now, the DisplayPort that you have on your monitor is very different from the eDP. The standard make the adaptive refresh rate optional which means that noone bothered to adjust it to their monitors and gpus.
On the other hand, eDP is something that can save you a lot of power by forcing the makers to give you control over the refresh rate of your screen. It is not the same as DP but it is NOT optional. It has more features because it is on special devices.

for example, fec (forward error correction) is optional on the 802.3-2008 IEEE standard, but no-one bothers to support it except a few companies that sell IPs or h/w in research centers or data centers... not to customers like you and me.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
24-25 inch size
WQHD resolution
120-144 Hz refresh rate
1 ms response time
AdaptiveSync support
no PWM flickering
(quasi) bezelless design

waiting for the same but then in 32/34 inch

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
24-25 inch size
WQHD resolution
120-144 Hz refresh rate
1 ms response time
AdaptiveSync support
no PWM flickering
(quasi) bezelless design

No they cannot. At least not with those panel types you wrote. Currently not even crappy TN panel can go 1ms - and that's even g.t.g.. Only ones capable at this moment to go 1ms or even less are the defunct Plasma or CRT monitors. The LCDs just cannot switch that fast. Is pure physics and chemistry. ;)

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Minimum required 40FPS on some monitors does not make me happy at all.
Currently, to have always above 40FPS on 1440P you got to have enough GPU horsepower to use decent settings on many new games. Otherwise it won't be worth it much.

Hoped to see is in the low 30s. Anyway, with a new top end gen of AMD cards this shouldn't (hopefully) be the case if performance are as leaked.

What i have read on their site it's any thing above 29fps, but you do say some so better watch out.

I'll wait until 40" HDTV's have it as i have no interest going back to a lil monitor any time soon, by that time hopefully shit will have matured.

aasim

Big thumbs up for AMD:clap:. You did great by delivering an giving technology without charging any premium. Really nice to see someone doing efforts and making them open for others.:peace:.

Last but least i am Nvidia user, but hate when they make everything closed like PhysX, Gsync

'Currently own 750ti hope it will soon get adaptive sync as the new mobile gpus of Nvidia got. :lovetpu:

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
What i have read on their site it's any thing above 29fps, but you do say some so better watch out.

I'll wait until 40" HDTV's have it as i have no interest going back to a lil monitor any time soon, by that time hopefully shit will have matured.

the minimum is 9 fps of the technology.
Its the monitors that dont go that low.
Televisions I think all go down to 24 fps

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Well all the pieces are coming together for a couple of upgrades to my pc ie an rd 390x and a BIG pixel screen now if I could just step out of poverty im onit, i wwould consider swapping a kidney for three 4ks and a few gpus any offers.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Asus A21
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
*Forgot login pass to TPU

Yeah,thank you AMD for bring us some affordable technologies :toast:
Goodluck for G-Sync though...

Well all the pieces are coming together for a couple of upgrades to my pc ie an rd 390x and a BIG pixel screen now if I could just step out of poverty im onit, i wwould consider swapping a kidney for three 4ks and a few gpus any offers.

:roll:

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Good to see it finally rolling out - however I feel a bit mislead. Unless I misunderstood it previously, their version of this adaptive v-sync, was to be able to run on any monitor. All it required was an AMD *FreeSync* compatible GPU or APU.
Now I come to find out that you have to purchase a monitor where they've baked adaptive v-sync support into the Display port 1.2 connection.

• That's a strike against it because like G-sync, it costs you more money.
  • Adaptive v-sync will be standard on Display port 1.3 any ways, so don't rush out and buy a monitor that supports FreeSync, unless you really like the monitor itself. When 1.3 hits, your selection will increase.
  • Lastly, this advanced adaptive v-sync craze, is really aimed at the mainstream gamer who knows very little about frame rendering times and frame latency. The problem is that frame latency, frame time and other variables of frame rending mechanics, is only now being discussed in GPU and performance reviews.
It's not common knowledge, and I question how they expect to sell people on the idea that FreeSync makes your game smoother, when most people didn't even notice their gaming was 'unsmooth' to begin with.
Additionally, FreeSync is far from automatic at the driver level. If a lot of people still struggle to know or find their Catalyst Control Panel...or what a monitor OSD is, where does that leave them when trying to fiddle about setting up FreeSync?

Once you do some research and learn a bit about how an image is rendered, you find out that for the most part, you can achieve the same affect as Gsync/Freesync, without needing to buy additional hardware.
Making use of tools such as Radeon Pro, RTSS and CRU (to create custom resolutions), is the key to helping you achieve a much smoother experience - all while using the same hardware you currently own.

Setting up a custom monitor resolution and/or capping your frame rate, takes about the same amount of time as it does to enable FreeSync.
The former option is all free, the second is costly.

EDIT: In addition to what I posted, the arguments over market share are laughable. This 'technology' is not game breaking. While I wouldn't call it a gimmick, it's not some new architecture that will take us into a grand age of computer graphics and performance.
It's a bonus feature if nothing else and not every monitor, GPU or APU is going to support it.

Last edited:
I think it's a real feature to IQ just like AA is. Some are more sensitive to such things than others, it's a feature i'd list as sorta like physx on high, you probably wouldn't care if you never had it but if you had it and it was removed you'd notice and would maybe care.

Latency from v-sync is such a fake issue when playing games online and a non issue when you're playing single player games. If people really cared so much that they had to turn off v-sync because of the latency they choose their monitors more carefully to take a look at overall monitor latency along with steps to reduce overall system latency, meaning turning off things in bios etc.

The issue was keeping sync without the stutter of 15,30,60 fps locks adaptive vsync debut by nvidia gave you sync when you could afford it turned it off when it would probably cause stutters a minor solution. G-sync, freesync and adaptive sync(really confusing name choice imo) are solutions with greater scope.

Atm, all that freesync is a 'ati and intel' gpu technology. With g-sync being a nvidia gpu technology.

Without either camp budging, this may end up turning into a monitor battle as well. With monitors coming with either freesync, _or_ g-sync only (thus locking in the consumers choice of graphics manufacturer).

The only real hope for consumers, is if monitor makers start shipping monitors with both freesync and g-sync enabled in the same monitor.
If nVidia wants variable refresh in laptops, they'll support it.

Had a bit of a thought, Since AMD has to certify all monitors to be freesync. They have pretty much locked up freesync to AMD only gpu's. Since g-sync module could possible be updated firmware to support it, but since freesync software is as it stands amd proprietary software. AMD in sense has done same thing everyone rips on nvidia for, they just did it under everyones nose's.

A monitor doesn't have to have the Freeesync branding to work on AMD cards. There is no DRM check, or anything. Asus is supposed to be releasing a compatible monitor that's not Freesync certified but will work just fine.

As a gamer who always maintains 60fps, is there anything about Gsync or FreeSync that can do anything positive for me, or is it only intended for people that experience frame rates that fall below 60 during gaming?
I think it will be even more useful for people who have 120+Hz monitors. There's a big space between 60Hz and 120Hz-144Hz (Freesync is actually cetified to 240Hz) where Gsync/Freesync can improve the gameplay experience.

This is all good news basically. Anandtech has a nice article on it (kinda kybosh the whole G-Sync perf hit though - the hit is ludicrously small, as to be imperceptible). The point is, will it make G-Sync cheaper? - Maybe a a wee bit but G-Sync only works for Nvidia, Free-Sync only works with what supports DP1.2a (which notably isn't supported by R9 280/X or 270/X - bummer for some).

If you buy Nvidia currently, you probably don't mind paying a bit more for G-Sync - after all it is cheaper than buying a new AMD GPU and Free-Sync monitor. If you have a GCN 1.1(?) gpu now, it's great for you as well.

There's no needs for folks to get all antsy about it and leap to either sides defence.

Salesperson: How about an $800 TN monitor to go with your $1000 graphics card?
Customer: Can I, please?
:D

I'm hoping you'll be able to get a 390 w/ a 1440p Freesync capable monitor for $1000.

So after all of that, seeing that last image..... we still are not out of the woods.....

Either you get tearing or you get input lag, im sure tis all mitigated a little but damn it, why cant we just have neither already?
Limit your FPS to the refresh rate.

System Name Biostar
Processor Intel i5 3470
Motherboard BIOSTAR TZ77A
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 3.5GB + 512MB of very slow.
Storage 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB / 2x Segate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB
Display(s) HP 2009m
Case Thermaltake Versa H22
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Thermaltake SP-650P 650Watt.
Mouse Logitech M185
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 64
Benchmark Scores Why waste my hardware and wear it out for a stupid score similar to everyone else's?
This is BS! They are purposely not allowing support for freesync on the R9 270 models and R9 280 models because that will make it also work with 7000 series cards! This is not fair to people who bought brand new R9 series cards! When you buy a new product you expect it to be current! This is very shady for AMD to do this! And because of this little marketing stunt I will never buy from AMD again! I was going to buy a R9 290 this spring instead of the GTX 970. But I am now going to buy the GTX 970! And I will throw my R9 270 in the trash where it belongs! or just give it away to anyone that needs it if they pay the shipping.

This is BS! They are purposely not allowing support for freesync on the R9 270 models and R9 280 models because that will make it also work with 7000 series cards! This is not fair to people who bought brand new R9 series cards! When you buy a new product you expect it to be current! This is very shady for AMD to do this! And because of this little marketing stunt I will never buy from AMD again! I was going to buy a R9 290 this spring instead of the GTX 970. But I am now going to buy the GTX 970! And I will throw my R9 270 in the trash where it belongs! or just give it away to anyone that needs it if they pay the shipping.
Are you certain that it's not simply that the display controllers aren't capable? I think you might be mistaken and overreacting.