• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces FSR 3.1, Improves Super Resolution Quality, Allows Frame Generation to Work with Other Upscaling Tech

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
TAA and better image quality in the same sentence? You’re joking right? In all of the games ive played I’ve yet to see a good implementation of TAA that doesn't turn everything into a smeared mess (most recently the garabage implementation in Hell Divers 2).
As in, Upscaling (specifically DLSS and in my case at 4k on an OLED) producing a better result than the forced TAA at native res, that cannot be totally disabled in a majority of modern games and is often very average at best.

If the comparatively rarer game comes out where TAA is not forced, sure you can get a crisper image at native with say FXAA or SMAA or even no AA (if you can tolerate that unstable mess), at the expense of other faults in the image, no denying that.

Personally I can't stand shimmer, but that's highly personal, I 100% understand that to some the softer resolve is what they can't stand and are willing to trade that perhaps against shimmer for example.

But I try my best to not put forward my opinion as if it's a universal fact that applies to everyone. For me, a potentially slightly softer (4k mitigates the majority of softness, this gets worse as resolution lowers) but very stable image without shimmer, fizzle, flicker and breakup is eminently desirable over a slightly sharper image with one of more of those artefacts persisting.

All decided on a per game basis mind you, I can't remember the titles right now but recently I did play a couple of games where I did go with FXAA or SMAA as I had the rendering budget to spare and the art/geometry etc style didn't present many opportunities for the artefacts I can't stand.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Will we see a AAA title new or old supporting FSR 3.1 this year?

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
AMD has decoupled FSR 3.1 frame generation from the upscaling tech, which allows frame generation to work with other upscaling solutions, such as DLSS or XeSS. The possibilities of such a decoupling are endless—have an RTX 30-series "Ampere" GPU that lacks DLSS 3 frame generation support? No worries, use DLSS 2 for the upscaling, and FSR 3.1 for the frame generation.
This! Allow us to give KUDOS to AMD, and both middle fingers to nGreedia!
Even so I have a feeling they will bring their Frame Generation to 20 and 30 RTX series too....

Both DLSS and TAA are image blurring techniques, which is extremely annoying. I know what temporal filters are.
Yes, DLSS is crap in most of the games except Starfield for some reason. Not sure why, but even with low quality DLSS settings and with a little sharpening, the image is almost as native for x3 times the FPS. Guess it is all in the implementation. Also motion blur is very well done in the same game.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Even so I have a feeling they will bring their Frame Generation to 20 and 30 RTX series too

Hopefully that would be the expected FSR 3.1 consequence. Although knowing Nvidia everything and nothing is possible... nV doesn't like decoupling and sharing the good stuff (well no-one does really) - we can only hope FSR's FG measures up to nVs offering on 40-series with no compromises... a good knee in the balls for nV to surrender!

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Hopefully that would be the expected FSR 3.1 consequence. Although knowing Nvidia everything and nothing is possible... nV doesn't like decoupling and sharing the good stuff (well no-one does really) - we can only hope FSR's FG measures up to nVs offering on 40-series with no compromises... a good knee in the balls for nV to surrender!
Don't forget nGreedias lies regarding their "optical flow" accelerators! The 30x0 and 20x0 just dont have them to make it work! We all know it's BS BTW, just like ReBAR support on the 20x0 series!

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Honestly, the only good thing about upscaling is the fact that you can natively render the UI and run the game at a lower resolution, but all of these comparisons to native on Youtube are disingenuous because honestly it's very hard to really equate any upscaling with native in most games. Something like BG3 where movement is slow and predictable are acceptable compromises for upscaling but they're also the sort of games that need the least upscaling help in the first place.

Upscaling should have only being used in scenarios where the base resolution isn't really all that low, like 75% of the native resolution. But instead of being used sparingly developers are absolutely using it as a crutch all the time, if you think we have it bad enough there are games on consoles that are upscaled from resolutions close to 720P lol.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Upscaling should have only being used in scenarios where the base resolution isn't really all that low, like 75% of the native resolution. But instead of being used sparingly developers are absolutely using it as a crutch all the time, if you think we have it bad enough there are games on consoles that are upscaled from resolutions close to 720P lol.
Yup, I've been shouting that from the rooftops ever since DLSS first launched to prop up the untenable performance hit of RT.

Starfield might have been the worst example of this to date - even the highest presets included a pretty bad FSR implementation to cover up the pathetic performance of Bethesda's 20-year-old, woefully obsolete Creation Engine pushed so far beyond its capabilities that even a 4090 struggles to make it look okay.

I got Starfield free with a 7800XT purchase so it ran well enough to play but I simply couldn't believe how bad the game looked and run. There are DX9 XB360 games that look better.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
As in, Upscaling (specifically DLSS and in my case at 4k on an OLED) producing a better result than the forced TAA at native res, that cannot be totally disabled in a majority of modern games and is often very average at best.

If the comparatively rarer game comes out where TAA is not forced, sure you can get a crisper image at native with say FXAA or SMAA or even no AA (if you can tolerate that unstable mess), at the expense of other faults in the image, no denying that.

Personally I can't stand shimmer, but that's highly personal, I 100% understand that to some the softer resolve is what they can't stand and are willing to trade that perhaps against shimmer for example.

But I try my best to not put forward my opinion as if it's a universal fact that applies to everyone. For me, a potentially slightly softer (4k mitigates the majority of softness, this gets worse as resolution lowers) but very stable image without shimmer, fizzle, flicker and breakup is eminently desirable over a slightly sharper image with one of more of those artefacts persisting.

All decided on a per game basis mind you, I can't remember the titles right now but recently I did play a couple of games where I did go with FXAA or SMAA as I had the rendering budget to spare and the art/geometry etc style didn't present many opportunities for the artefacts I can't stand.

I guess there are people who just can't grasp that with AI upscaling enabled, they will get superior image quality (higher res and higher details) than without upscaling at the same FPS :rolleyes:.

Though FSR2.2 is still pretty far from being ideal, with so many visual artifacts that negate all the benefits.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I guess there are people who just can't grasp that with AI upscaling enabled, they will get superior image quality (higher res and higher details) than without upscaling at the same FPS :rolleyes:.
Yeah to some extent it is what it is with people, either they can't grasp it because they haven't seen it for themselves, or just don't want to admit it and so make other random, disingenuous, or non-connected to IQ and fps arguments. To what end? I'm really not certain, but some portion of it/to some people it is clearly political.

To me it's simply the proof is in the pudding, if it's as good or better IQ, that's that and it in effect doesn't matter how we got there. And you make a great case for performance normalised IQ too. I am of course fascinated by all manner of rendering technology, but it's always occurred to me as odd that people will die on the hill of what's going on behind the curtain being somehow totally unacceptable. Granted of course it's a bit of a dogs breakfast for which upscaling solution you use, which sub-version, which game and how well it's implemented, what output resolution and monitor technology you game at and so on. You and I on 4k120 OLED's and using DLSS, are effectively on a best case scenario for the technology.
Though FSR2.2 is still pretty far from being ideal, with so many visual artifacts that negate all the benefits.
I truly want it to be better, I really do, and I am keen when the 3.1 update drops in R&C Rift Apart to do some back to back testing myself. It is unfortunate that one of the solutions with the broadest compatibility and perhaps broadest appeal has so many flaws (up to v3.0) at the resolutions where it's needed the most.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11

We will just ignore the visual artifacts then...

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
80-90FPS with Upscaling looks much crisper than 60FPS Native in motion though.
120FPS with Upscaling+Frame Gen is even way way crisper than 60FPS Native
I don't need upscaling at 60 FPS native. I would at 30 FPS, but then, it works with too little input to give me an acceptable picture. The only place for upscaling, imo, is when I fire up my 4K TV with the small HTPC it's connected to, because 1. There's no other way to play at 4K with a 1660 Ti, and 4K+FSR looks better than 1080p on a 4K screen, and 2. I sit far enough from the TV not to really care about the slight loss of image quality.

As for the article, I'm glad AMD is trying to improve. I'm wondering, though, if already released games will get FSR 3.1 support, or if you can just pop some DLLs in, like you can with DLSS.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
We will just ignore the visual artifacts then...
Sure seems like people do ignore visual artefacts when decrying upscaling, when Native without AA, or Native + TAA, FXAA, SMAA, MSAA etc all have artifacts and visual/performance drawbacks of their own.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Sure seems like people do ignore visual artefacts when decrying upscaling, when Native without AA, or Native + TAA, FXAA, SMAA, MSAA etc all have artifacts and visual/performance drawbacks of their own.
It's the ghosting and motion smearing mostly.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
It's the ghosting and motion smearing mostly.
And often times that motion smearing and ghosting (other breakup in motion too, specially in wires/thin lines, a blurrier image, etc.) can be distracting enough for some to prefer the shimmer of more conservative AA techniques (SMAA, MSAA, CMAA2, etc.) against the blur that can be caused by more extreme/temporal AA techniques (TAA, DLAA, FSRNative).
I myself Prefer the sharpness and non temporal artifacting of SMAA over TAA (For reasons found in a very long text that I put in my profile).
It's a choosing game, it becomes a problem when we can no longer choose (either due to TAA/Upscaling being forced, or poor performance that encourages Upscaling).

(Also yes, I am lumping in TAA with Upscaling, they are all just TAA at the end of the day, they're just better at it)

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
AMD continuing to support open source is a huge Plus.

ben dover

I just tried an 7900xtx and to be honest the driver is not very good. No better than old days. While fiddling around, the power tuning refused to turn off again, resulting in a massive fps drop every 10 secs, rendering the game unplayable. Sorry but i really wanted this to work. Sold the card and went straight back to the 3080 which just works. No new card until next gen Nvidia.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
I never know how people have these catastrophic failures, but somehow it's 99% TPU users that have these issues happen to them.

I never know how people have these catastrophic failures, but somehow it's 99% TPU users that have these issues happen to them.

His comment is also incredibly random and outta place.
For counter balance? Running a PowerColor Red Devil 7900 XTX, with basically zero issues now for a little over a year? It's been great :toast:

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
His comment is also incredibly random and outta place.
For counter balance? Running a PowerColor Red Devil 7900 XTX, with basically zero issues now for a little over a year? It's been great :toast:
I had more issues with my 6800XT than my 7900XT. I also love it for what Gaming is for me today.