• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD/ATi Flash Command Line (CMD) Syntax Mini Guide (WINDOWS)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This is a Guide Thread Only, not an asking for help thread.

If you need help, start a new thread, do not post in here as it will be reported and possibly deleted.

This is a Mini Guide to using AMDVBFLASH/ATi Flash.

DO NOT USE WINFLASH it has been discontinued and rearely ever worked

Make sure to identify which card you want to flash by using the commands below.

If you have a CPU with igp thats fine otherwise a motherboard with 2 pcie slots for recovery is suggested, otherwise a spi flasher may be your last chance.

If you have a dual gpu bios card, only flash 1, not both so to make recovery easier.

GET GPU-Z and look at your Device ID and Subsystem ID to the right, make a note of it, same with your clock speeds, ram size, ram brand
Example Sapphire RX 580 Pulse: 1002 67DF 1DA2 E353/366, 1366/2000 MHz, 8192/4096 MB, Micron, Samsung, Hynix, Eplida, Infineon, Qimonda.

Sapphire cards have a P/N and SKU sticker for easier ID of files (E*** is a part of the subsystem id of your bios you need), either the sticker is on the card back or on the side of the heatsink by the pcie blade.

In GPU-Z
Go to the Advanced Tab and click on the context menu General and Select Memory Timings, You should see 1 that matches your ram on the page with detailed info of the Chip Types, Samsung FB/FC, Hynix AJR/MJR etc.
Write that info down.

Go on VGA Bios Collection and find the correct bios for your card by all criteria you wrote above.

Then Get the latest version of AMDVBFLASH/ATiFlash

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Then follow this:

For RX 5000-7000 Navi Series and I believe Vega Cards, maybe Fury...
AMDVBFLASH
Versions 3.31-5.0.567

Follow these steps carefully:

1. Open your "C:" drive in Windows, create a new folder, call it atiflash.

2. Extract the contents of amdvbflash_win_5.0.567.zip to the "C:\atiflash" folder (make sure everything is in C:\atiflash and not another folder)

3. Find the bios file you downloaded and rename the bios file to a 5 digit with .rom on the end, example RX 6900XT, name file r6900.rom (r****.rom)

4. Move your bios r****.rom to the "C:\atiflash" folder

5.Open the directory/folder, double click AMDVBFlashDriverInstaller.exe and allow it to install
YOU MUST INSTALL THIS FOR AMDVBFLASH TO WORK, YOU CAN UNINSTALL IT USING THE EXACT SAME .EXE

6. Open the start menu, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears right click it and hit "Run as administrator"

7. At the command prompt type in cd\ and press enter until only C:\> is on the screen.

8. Type in cd/atiflash and press enter, you should see C:\atiflash>

9. At C:\atiflash> type in amdvbflash.exe -i to identify your card with a 0, 1, or 2

10. At the C:\atiflash> prompt type in
amdvbflash.exe -p 0 r****.rom -fa -fp (or 1, 2)

(there is a space between amdvbflash.exe and -p, a space between -p and 0, a space between 0 and r****.rom, a space between r****.rom and -fa, and a space between -fa and -fp)

Press Enter.

Follow directions on screen and if flash is successful exit the command prompt and restart, windows should show up on monitor.

For RX 500 Series (Polaris) and Older:

Get amdvbflash 2.93

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Then look for Version 4.68, underneath 4.68 you will see a link to show older version, click that and you should see version 2.93

2. Extract the contents of atiflash_293.zip to the "C:\atiflash" folder

3. Find the bios file you downloaded and rename the bios file to 5 digits with .rom on end Example RX 580, change file to rx580.rom (r****.rom)

4. Move r****.rom to the "C:\atiflash" folder

5. Open the start menu, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears right click it and hit "Run as administrator"

6. At the command prompt type in cd\ and press enter until only C:\> is on the screen.

7. Type in cd/atiflash and press enter, you should see C:\atiflash>

8. Type in amdvbflash.exe -i to identify the gpu you want to flash with a 0, 1, or 2)

9. At the C:\atiflash> prompt type in
amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0
(there is a space between the e and -unlockrom and 0)(0 is the number zero)
press enter and you will be prompted that the "ROM Unlocked" (or 1, 2)

10. At the C:\atiflash> prompt type in
amdvbflash.exe -f -p 0 r****.rom
(there is a space between the .exe and -f, and a space between -f and -p and 0).
(Or 1, 2)

Press Enter

Follow directions on screen and if flash is successful exit the command prompt and restart, windows should show up on screen

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Also make sure to have the gpu that you want flashed plugged in directly into the slot you want to flash, not on a extension cable.

So on non IGP/APU systems you should have the working display card in and then the card you want to flash (bricked card)

Dual bios cards that have 1 side working:

Make sure to boot up on working bios then in windows flip to dead bios, flash dead bios and boot up on that side.

If it failed, power off and flip switch to working side and repeat above.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
MAKE SURE BEFORE YOU THINK IT IS A REASON TO FLASH ANY GPU, UPDATE YOUR MOTHERBOARD BIOS FIRST!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Alternate guide to the above.

Download atiflash/amdvbflash 2.93

2. Extract the contents of atiflash_293.zip to the "C:\atiflash" folder

3. Find the bios file you downloaded and rename the bios file to biosname.rom

(Biosname.rom is just an example, change it to match your card model in 5 characters with .rom on end)

4. Move biosname.rom to the "C:\atiflash" folder

5. Open the start menu, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears right click it and hit "Run as administrator"

6. At the command prompt type in cd\ and press enter until only C:\> is on the screen.

7. Type in cd/atiflash and press enter, you should see C:\atiflash>

8. At the C:\atiflash> prompt type in
amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0
(there is a space between the e and -unlockrom and 0)(0 is the number zero)
press enter and you will be prompted that the "ROM Unlocked"

9. At the C:\atiflash> prompt type in
amdvbflash.exe -f -p 0 biosname.rom
(there is a space between the .exe and -f, and a space between -f and -p and 0)press enter.

Follow directions on screen and if flash is successful exit the command prompt and restart, windows should show up on screen.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name The Classified
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard EVGA Z97 Classified
Cooling EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080TI Kingpin 11GB GDDR6
Thank you eidairaman1 for this simple guide, you easily transported me back to 2016 when I first had to flash a card from the command line. Tonight I brought a card back to life from that era that I had been putting off this simple procedure, but I just couldn't remember the steps, although I knew all the basic steps. Many other versions of your instruction out there, but I settled on yours, fellow Texan, due to brevity and clarity, not to mention the fact that it's housed here in TPU.

Besides expressing gratitude, I have a question, and it is about the very crucial all important section of your instructions, and I quote here:

then type in amdvbflash -unlockrom 0

then type in amdvbflash -p -fa -fp 0 biosname.rom
(-fs command is optional and may not work in all versions)

Now, in the parentheses under the key instruction where you say to type the program [amdvbflash] and then the arguments [-p -fa -fp], you then say:
(-fs command is optional and may not work in all versions)

When you reference -fs, is that a typo? You are stipulating -fa and -fp as arguments, and I did go and run amdvbflash -? (I remembered something on my own!) and I don't see an -fs option. It makes sense you are referring to either the -fa or -fp argument as optional and "may not work in all versions." But I want to know if I'm missing something, please.

That tiny little thing gave me pause, but I went ahead and ran exactly as you had typed for this RX580 I'm working on, and it flashed like a charm thanks to you. Just had to ask this question because it might trip up someone else that hasn't done this before, make them overthink it maybe. The phrase "may not work" worries the hell out of me!

I appreciate you took the time to type out these instructions, I can't stand trying to learn from spoken-word video, I get lost. I have to see it in writing, and in its static form where I can progress at my own studied pace. And I read all the subsequent variations you also added, but fortunately your first iteration did the trick right off the bat.

I started following you not long ago and have read some of your old replies and valiant attempts to help people who don't know what they're doing. While this is normal for all help situations, I'm talking about the people with no rhyme or reason for their efforts, and I understand completely your one post basically disowning and abandoning extending help to this genre of hackers. That said, sometime on another thread or somehow I'd love to message you about the quirky practice MSI employed with their RX580s and similar around 2017, inexplicably using slightly different vBIOSes on batches of essentially identical cards, which affect their performance if you use say TV341MH.612 instead of TV341MH.614. There are several and can be different between cards basically exactly the same for model, even make of memory. And I still see people on your forums here as well as elsewhere seeking these vBIOS files, which can only be matched by decoding the serial number of the card as to which batch it comes from. If you see someone seeking help on these particular series of cards in the RX470/480 and RX570/580 family, both 4GB and 8GB, they have a special challenge in front of them. I have compiled a bit of a repository of 12 so far; there are three I think represented here on TPU for my RX580 in question, but there are others from the factory, and I had to come up with a unique way to harvest them from the official MSI forum, where the moderators can no longer help with this issue, yea barely discuss it, since around 2019. And I do see more in the "unverified" section, but I'll never be that adventurous. The ones I have are factory.

Cheers, Sir!
"Come and Take It!"
[on Reddit I go by EBTexas]

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
For RX 580, just use the 2nd guide with amdvbflash 2.93

With obtaining my new card, I notice Asus have this bios/tool to upgrade the bios on my card. If & only IF I wanted to upgrade the bios on this card, should I use the Asus software or use this tool you have talked about in this thread?
Curios to know as I have never upgraded or flashed a dGPU bios before but am aware of the hazards in doing this.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
With obtaining my new card, I notice Asus have this bios/tool to upgrade the bios on my card. If & only IF I wanted to upgrade the bios on this card, should I use the Asus software or use this tool you have talked about in this thread?
Curios to know as I have never upgraded or flashed a dGPU bios before but am aware of the hazards in doing this.

Hey man sometimes those Live Update Tools Provide the Wrong Bios, don't do it.

You should only update a bios if you are having a glitch (black screen) after other troubleshooting measures failed.

After bios flash I bricked GPU and cannot flash back due in AMDVBFLASH I getting Invalid GPU Index
and -i show Test Fail any idea how to solve it ?

Attachments

• errr.jpg
    errr.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 895

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
After bios flash I bricked GPU and cannot flash back due in AMDVBFLASH I getting Invalid GPU Index
and -i show Test Fail any idea how to solve it ?
Start a new thread

beejac

Thank you for this guide. I just did some research to upgrade the vbios on my Radeon VII but was unable to to use the 293 version of atiflash as windows kept blocking the program "Due to win8 enhanced security features...". Must be something in W11 blocking. However, instead I used version 315 of ATIflash and it worked like a charm. So, if you are facing same issue as me, try the 315 version instead! :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thank you for this guide. I just did some research to upgrade the vbios on my Radeon VII but was unable to to use the 293 version of atiflash as windows kept blocking the program "Due to win8 enhanced security features...". Must be something in W11 blocking. However, instead I used version 315 of ATIflash and it worked like a charm. So, if you are facing same issue as me, try the 315 version instead! :)
Its because it is a vega, i revised the guide and 3.31-5.0+ support vega or newer

beejac

Its because it is a vega, i revised the guide and 3.31-5.0+ support vega or newer
Forgot to mention, but i tried the 5.0+ and it did not recognise my card, so it did not allow a flash either (i tried and it gave an error). This is why I went down the route of trying an older version. Maybe Radeon VII was removed from 5.0+ as the user base is so small, or maybe erased by mistake - but this is just me guessing.

Thanks for keeping the guide up-to-date! :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Forgot to mention, but i tried the 5.0+ and it did not recognise my card, so it did not allow a flash either (i tried and it gave an error). This is why I went down the route of trying an older version. Maybe Radeon VII was removed from 5.0+ as the user base is so small, or maybe erased by mistake - but this is just me guessing.

Thanks for keeping the guide up-to-date! :)
Did you install the driver required for flashing that was provided in 3.31-5.0

beejac

Did you install the driver required for flashing that was provided in 3.31-5.0
Yes, it is the same in 3.15 actually. It found a card with 5.0 and the name was correct but it couldn't pass the test nor did it show the size, i.e. It didn't seem to recognise it and it's why I had to go with the older version. Found on another forum that the 3.15 version worked with vega for another user so I gave it a shot and it found the card as it should and flashed it correctly first try.

Hope this helps someone :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yes, it is the same in 3.15 actually. It found a card with 5.0 and the name was correct but it couldn't pass the test nor did it show the size, i.e. It didn't seem to recognise it and it's why I had to go with the older version. Found on another forum that the 3.15 version worked with vega for another user so I gave it a shot and it found the card as it should and flashed it correctly first try.

Hope this helps someone :)
Thanks for the additional info

BigT

So thanks for this it has been very helpful but im still running into a issue i have IG and im trying to flash a rx570 but i cant seem to get it right it keeps giving me a "amdvbflash.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" what am i doing wrong any help would be great im not a super nerd YET but i know my way around this kinda of stuff lightly thank in advanved.

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Would you be so kind and tell us if you use CMD window with admin privileges ?
It is required to use CMD with admin privileges in order to function properly.

Attachments

• CMD with admin priv.jpg
    CMD with admin priv.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 177

Donut

Thank you for your guides eidairman1, worked for me to salvage a $20 RX580 that was used for mining.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thank you for your guides eidairman1, worked for me to salvage a $20 RX580 that was used for mining.
Sure, being a mining abused card, I would suggest you replace the thermal paste with good stuff and look at the thermal pads

Hey, i used tpu guides to flash R9 390. Now i have to flash RX 470 that was prolly used for mining. Flashing R9 390 was very simple, simply booted atiflash, used the commands. But with RX 470 i see there is more to it, they have different memory vendor versions. Is there anything else apart from memory size/vendor and obviously gpu vendor/model i have to be careful about ? The guide for polaris you wrote up there appears to be done from windows instead of booting atiflash. Just wanna be sure i dont brick this thing.

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello. In order to find an exact match for your card (i mean a BIOS file), we need to have some more info.
So we need to have some pictures:
1 - labels from the card(or box if you still have it)
2 - GPU-Z - main screen
3 - Open the card and make some close up pictures where we can see the codes from those memory chips (use a good light source and macro)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hey, i used tpu guides to flash R9 390. Now i have to flash RX 470 that was prolly used for mining. Flashing R9 390 was very simple, simply booted atiflash, used the commands. But with RX 470 i see there is more to it, they have different memory vendor versions. Is there anything else apart from memory size/vendor and obviously gpu vendor/model i have to be careful about ? The guide for polaris you wrote up there appears to be done from windows instead of booting atiflash. Just wanna be sure i dont brick this thing.
It uses cmd, 2.93 and you must have the bios that matches your ram size and brand present in the bios rom itself. Its why info is asked about the card for clock speeds even, brand and specific model

Sorry for late reply. I searched TPU and i think i found the right bios regarding ram size/speed, but just to be safe i will post the data here so you can double check. Then i will have questions about the flashing itself. I did a lot of bios modding for R9 390, solving high power usage during light video/youtube stuff. Brought my pc usage from like 150W to under 70W during video playback, so simple reason and solution, cant belive amd/Asus didn't fix it ... So i did bios flashing in the past, but i will need to be careful to see how flashing the R9 470 differs.

There is just 1 bios that completely matches my gpu on TPU, 4gb & Hynix. Let me know if i am correct. Tnx :)

1. In the attachment
2. In the attachment
3. In the attachment

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20231104_191734.jpg
    20231104_191734.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • 20231104_191750.jpg
    20231104_191750.jpg