• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
RTX & DLSS for sure will meet it's glory later on
Just like how phsyx & hairworks is still being used today, and how everybody have a g-sync monitor

Every Nvidia innovations is guaranteed to be a success

What a hoot :) I literally fell from a chair :) Even though it's in the game doesn't mean it's being used :)

Low quality post by satrianiboys

satrianiboys

Sigh..
Who is the donkey now for taking literally my words..

Guess i should become donkey too by putting /s next time
Yes, only donkey (read: plank) who always need an /s to understand the context of some words

Low quality post by INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Sigh..
Who is the donkey now for taking literally my words..

Guess i should become donkey too by putting /s next time
Yes, only donkey (read: plank) who always need an /s to understand the context of some words
Your backpedaling is just as pathetic as your original statement...

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on topic.
Don't be insulting other members.
Don't be bickering back and forth with each other with off topic banter.

Thanks.

Low quality post by medi01
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Just like how phsyx & hairworks is still being used today, and how everybody have a g-sync monitor

Thanks for chuckles.

Low quality post by RichF
I mean look at the average human, logic is mostly gone.
That's the classic Star Trek TOS fallacy. Emotions are an expression of logic.

Girlfriend sells your gaming PC to buy shoes = anger.

As for the implication that humanity has become more emotional and less logical, consider how many people are on emotional depressants (anti-depressants). If anything, humanity has become less emotional due to the desire to medicate away the higher highs and lower lows. There is also the War on Drugs. Back when people were free to use whatever drugs they wanted to the resulting emotions were likely to be more intense and less rational.

Various cultures have tried a lot of things to reduce emotion. Some Buddhists aren't allowed to eat things like onions and garlic because it is believed that their flavors are too intense. The Kellogg cereal company got its start by peddling products (cereals like Corn Flakes) that were supposed to taste so bland they would prevent sexual arousal.

Focus here is on the fact that it's something new.
Newness does not equal innovation.

innovation = striking improvement
evolution = incremental improvement
iteration = possibly no improvement

So, if company X releases GPU A, then GPU B, and GPU B has marginal differences, it is an iterative product. What constitutes evolution and iteration is subjective. However, innovation clearly implies a very significant improvement.

If you think DLSS is an improvement over competing technologies then you can count it as innovation. If not, then it's not innovation. It's merely change. The notion that change is always a good thing is the fallacy of liberalism. The opposing fallacy is the belief that tradition is superior to change (the fallacy of conservatism).

Coming up with clever new ways to trick people into spending their money (marketing innovation) counts as innovation if you're a stockholder but it's not in the interest of the typical product buyer.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
If you think DLSS is an improvement over competing technologies then you can count it as innovation. If not, then it's not innovation. It's merely change. The notion that change is always a good thing is the fallacy of liberalism. The opposing fallacy is the belief that tradition is superior to change (the fallacy of conservatism).

Coming up with clever new ways to trick people into spending their money (marketing innovation) counts as innovation if you're a stockholder but it's not in the interest of the typical product buyer.
You are forgetting this is a businesswise decision to shove more transistors to take-in contemporaneous solutions.

What? I have no idea what you're trying to say.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Disable DLSS for the best possible Picture Quality.
That's it.

I see the sarcasm in your post. As for hairworks, it doesn't look as good as some might think. Perhaps is one's opinion whether they like it or not.
As for DLSS, that's complete garbage.

Raevenlord said:
Of course, MAD may only be speaking from the point of view of a competitor that has no competing solution.

AMD has no reason to compete with something that's already proven to be a complete failure.

Low quality post by dont whant to set it"'
System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
odly why nVidia has not came up for a name by theyr own to be given to their next "generation whatevers" by themselves, yet they trashed hystory
ps: too drunk to grammar check.
Le: I have came up with at least a name, just ask Entropy. :p
2nd Le: grammar on first "Lateredit"

Low quality post by dont whant to set it"'
System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
does it matter that Nvidia used the "tensor" word, without fathomisingsly it at all. they are so broke on naming ideeeas like since a douzine years ago(we , us as Nvidia are so desperate we go trash history for cash because we cannot come up with names for our own concepts because whatwe call as being our own conncepts are not actualy our onw we just trashed history for a profit allthewhile delivering pardon my French : shit . )
ps: some of my 2 cents being randomly drunk

Low quality post by mtcn77
does it matter that Nvidia used the "tensor" word, without fathomisingsly it at all. they are so broke on naming ideeeas like since a douzine years ago(we , us as Nvidia are so desperate we go trash history for cash because we cannot come up with names for our own concepts because whatwe call as being our own conncepts are not actualy our onw we just trashed history for a profit allthewhile delivering pardon my French : shit . )
ps: some of my 2 cents being randomly drunk
I like random trolls intermittently.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have changed my mind on DLSS, having played Metro Exodus with a 2080 TI since updates, I can say that the blurr introduced is very minimal now, especially when upscaling the resolution. It actually provides a nice trade off for high resolution performance when paired with Ray Tracing. First examples looked terrible, now when switching DLSS on and off there is such a small degree of quality loss that can be compensated by rendering at higher resolutions if your rig can manage it.

My updated Two Cents

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
But remember that DLSS is only a thing to use those tensors cores that would otherwise be idle. If those tensor core transistors were instead put to work on rendering, you could get the higher resolution/higher framerate without the blurriness. In a graphics product, the tradeoff is stupid. Put tensor cores on compute products. Hell, make discreet tensor cards for systems that need it and divorce them entirely from the existing product stack.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
But remember that DLSS is only a thing to use those tensors cores that would otherwise be idle. If those tensor core transistors were instead put to work on rendering, you could get the higher resolution/higher framerate without the blurriness. In a graphics product, the tradeoff is stupid. Put tensor cores on compute products. Hell, make discreet tensor cards for systems that need it and divorce them entirely from the existing product stack.

The reason Nvidia sections off a part of the die is so they have a new growth capacity. It is very much like the quotes from Jensen above here, Nvidia needs a new market now that GPUs can pretty much rip up the common resolutions. They need a new incentive for people to upgrade (4K is not it, mind you, it is still niche and only has a horizon for 1-2 generations). This underlines that in Nvidia's mind its certainly going to be a long term strategy item along with a USP as it is today. I can see the business case, and competition is far away in catching up to it.

That also underlines the primary motive for Nvidia. The motive is not 'the tech/hardware is capable now'. They just repurposed technology to 'make it work', and that is the starting point from which they'll probably iterate.

Nevertheless, I do agree, given the RT implementations we've seen at this point and the die sizes required to get there. On the other hand, if you see the way Nvidia built up Turing, its hard to imagine getting the desired latencies etc. for all that data transport to a discrete RT/tensor only card.

Last edited:
First examples looked terrible, now when switching DLSS on and off there is such a small degree of quality loss that can be compensated by rendering at higher resolutions if your rig can manage it.
I agree what you say is factually correct, with DSR on DLSS does look as good as MSAA, however DSR lowers FPS more than MSAA does, so DLSS requiring the use of DSR in order to make it visually passable completely defeats the entire purpose of DLSS. What's the point of using a feature that cuts out the performance overhead of AA if you have to add in an even bigger performance overhead to stop it looking like ****.

I agree what you say is factually correct, with DSR on DLSS does look as good as MSAA, however DSR lowers FPS more than MSAA does, so DLSS requiring the use of DSR in order to make it visually passable completely defeats the entire purpose of DLSS. What's the point of using a feature that cuts out the performance overhead of AA if you have to add in an even bigger performance overhead to stop it looking like ****.
DLSS uses FP16 which is quarter precision per say, however, precisely equal to the highest color channel bit depth. The gain is due on that since you don't need any higher color precision. Even INT8 is sufficient for desktop. You can save a lot in the render backends which is Nvidia's biggest weakness compared to AMD.

Your float is overflow safe so long as division uses a higher bitstep than the addition when taking the average of pixels.

Figure 1. Tensor cores signficantly accelerate FP16 and INT8 matrix calculations
*Signficantly* Really, Nvidia?

Last edited:
UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro

That was my original argument, but actually using it, I have found it to work out pretty good. Not perfect, but the realism afforded by ray tracing requires the performance boost from DLSS to make it work. It does work. I am really , like REALLY finicky about smooth gameplay. Can barely tollerate sub 80fps due to my eyes as I always seem to see frame jitter etc. The fps boost and lighting quality work well enough to feel the game is smooth and detailed.
Obviously this is just my experience on my hardware for just one game implimentation, but it has notebly improved my enjoyment of this game.