• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FSR FidelityFX Super Resolution Quality & Performance

Godhand007

wow the amount of sharpening that FSR add to Godfall is un-godly
View attachment 204972

Just like CAS, FSR will either be hit or miss with their sharpening filter which can't be adjusted. So far in a blind test I can tell which image use FSR Ultra Quality because of how noisy it is. Hilbert from Guru3d also mention that FSR Ultra Quality have too much sharpening in the 3 games he tested.

From the FSR supported list, I have Anno 1800, so probably I will test 4K FSR Ultra Quality vs 1440p + Nvidia Sharpening Filter (which can be adjusted)
This scenario was tested by HU along with adobe filter effects and as per them, FSR is better. Not saying your subjective opinion is invalid for you but this is the conclusion I am seeing from reviewers.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
This scenario was tested by HU along with adobe filter effects and as per them, FSR is better. Not saying your subjective opinion is invalid for you but this is the conclusion I am seeing from reviewers.

I'm basing my opinion on TPU image, just drag the cursor to the Ultra Quality and notice how intense the Sharpening filter is, which add too much noise particularly at the stairs, seems like W1zzard is seeing the same thing, also quote from Guru3d:
Ultra Quality - here we do get much better detail at first sight. However, when you look closer you'll start to notice a loss of detail. We noticed some artifacts when leaves blew by, lines are far more blurry and a lot of detail gets grainy and noisy. For example, the iron corroded bar to the right now was showing lots of noise, pixels that do not make sense

@W1zzard I suspect one of the reasons why Unreal Engine doesn't want to talk about this, is they have their own Super Resolution technology they want to market see
(timestamp 16:50) known as TSR (Temporal Super Resolution) as part of UE5. I suspect it's similar to what AMD does in that it doesn't do deep learning like DLSS but as they are deep inside their own engine they have access to various sources of information including motion vectors, so a temporal approach seems to make a lot of sense.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
For some reason I remember someone at AMD promising FSR would not require software integration on the part of the game developer. I guess I was dreaming.

5800X has 32MB of L3 cache.
As with any API, functions still need to be enabled on the backend.
Didnt they say it wont require developer to implement? If the company folks dont know what they are talking about. Probably they should shut up :/ if it supported all games, it would have been a winner even if the quality is not as good as DLSS… which i am not sure coz i dont have any these games installed.. hope UB will add it to all its major titles
You should know what you are talking about before slamming anyone else.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
thanks for the review wizzard , to be honest i didnt even know terminator had a game out and im DL it right now oh my :D

I'm highly intrigued as a user with now two 10 Series GPUs, I have a 1060 6gb and a 1080 8gb and would love to do some higher resolution gaming on both of these with current AAA titles. I was just hoping it would be a piece of software that would run in the background that would help like the GPU drivers. I guess it takes more then just just that.

Yeah,. if all this is doing is upsamping individual frames, there's nothing stopping you from inserting this through a driver checkbox (the NVIDIA FXAA button, for example)

I recall back in the erly days of FXAA, I used a hacked DLL + universal insertion script for FXAA plus custom sharpening pass (used this on Borderlands 1, a game with broken msaa), so once the source gets released, we should be able to hack it in.

I would laugh if NVIDIA beats AMD to the punch of inserting a driver checkbox :D

I' going to download the Riftbreaker demo tonight, and see if this works ion my GTX 960!

Last edited:

Godhand007

I'm basing my opinion on TPU image, just drag the cursor to the Ultra Quality and notice how intense the Sharpening filter is, which add too much noise particularly at the stairs, seems like W1zzard is seeing the same thing, also quote from Guru3d:
But the comment below is not about sharpening overuse right? I can see the quality loss if that is what you are referring to, which is expected. Here are the details from HW about sharpening in the context of FSR

Processor i3-12100F
Motherboard GA-H610M-H-DDR4
Cooling NH-D15S
Memory F4-3200C16D-16GIS
Video Card(s) Palit 4060Ti 16GB
Display(s) VG249Q
Awesome seeing this type of open science in gaming.
Hopefully the next big thing is an open version of asynchronous reprojection. The latest frame interpolators for video are amazing. I wondered if doing it realtime was possible, and it seems asynchronous reprojection is it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Great review, I am impressed with Fsr, looks like something that could (with swift, vast adoption) hold me over until sanity returns.
Still plenty of work to do though too.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
i just did a run on superpisition at 4k optimised with these new beta drivers and my min fps went up 15 .... stoked

Attachments

• Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7531_1624386074.png
    Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7531_1624386074.png
    602.8 KB · Views: 137
XYZ game in FSR Performance mode = XYZ, oil on canvas.

Technically it's far inferior to DLSS. Simply a standarized way of doing something in software.
Also not a groundbreaking difference to rendering in lower resolution with Radeon Image Sharpening. Tough luck they didn't include some temporal AA in the chain.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not too bad for a first try, personally I can barely see any diff between native image and the ultra quality one but I have bad eyes so theres that. :laugh: 'even with brand new glasses I just got a few days ago'
Most likely I wouldn't notice any diff while actually playing games since I don't really pay attention to small details when I game.

Now just add support to more games cause for now theres not a single game supported that I play.
My RX 570 could definitely use the help with 2560x1080 res in AAA games.:oops:

@W1zzard
CPU load impact ?

no need to re-run all the tests hehe
just a rough estimation if you have time (^^)/

D

Deleted member 190774

It's good to see that those who consistently bring the negative commentary are still doing so - you guys never fail to disappoint :D

I thought it looked pretty reasonable from this review; haven't read any others yet.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
@W1zzard
CPU load impact ?
More FPS = more CPU load. But I don't think that's what you're asking. The FSR shader code runs almost completely on the GPU, it has no significant CPU overhead. We asked this in AMD's briefing call

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
@W1zzard thanks a lot as usual for the great review. :)
The technology looks very interesting and promising.
Let's see how it develops in the future.
I hope many AAA games will support it in up coming time.
I can imagine Nvidia fanboys (excuse the use of the term "fanboys" here) and owners of GTX 1000 cards, closed in a rooms/houses, with all doors and windows shut and all microphones and cameras in devices off, whispering "Thank you AMD"!

In any case this is a welcomed feature even if it is not at the same level as DLSS 2.X.
:laugh: Very interesting point.

Amazing, that AMD is even supporting competition cards and did not lock down technology only on RDNA2. :love:

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
now scalpers and sellers of cards recently enslaved as minigcards gonna be sad nobody needs their overpriced offers ... sorry :p
AMD well done :toast:

I made a post in previous FSR forum like 15 minutes before W1zard ran the article showing some screen shot comparisons utilizing AMD's Fidelity FX CAS technique. It's really easy to impliment tonemap at pretty near zero GPU impact. Far as the article goes FSR upscale for Netflix/YouTube video streams would be really great in the future.

Reshade CAS injection upscale.
pretty cool. i wish they'd make something like xBRZ x2/x3/x4 option available in control panel for all games.

For people that don't have any of these game but want to make their own mind. Riftbreaker have a free demo on steam.

So i was able to test myself. On my laptop with a 15 inch 4K oled screen, it was clear to me that Performance mode was degraded vs native. But on the other mode, it wasn't that obvious. balanced had some of the shimering on the wall but except that, it was looking really good. I am very pleased. You can also compare with the build in Resolution scaller and it's clearly more sharp and less blurry.

i will need to test on my desktop with LCD 1440p monitor to see.

First of all, thanks for the review.
To be honest, I just don't undersdtand how can the two solutions be compared (I mean FSR 1.0 vs DLSS 2.2) on the same level, because they are not on the same level, not even close.
I'm not saying that the DLSS will/should prevail against the openness of FSR on the long run, but come on, at this time FSR is nothing more than a sophisticated upscaling post process pass, it's lightyears behind from what nvidia offers to gamers with the latest DLSS version.
Thanks, but I don't build gaming PCs for "cheap" console solutions, I use DLSS because it mostly looks better than native, while this one looks worse actualy.

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
It's good to see that those who consistently bring the negative commentary are still doing so - you guys never fail to disappoint :D

That reminds me about a comment that one of Admins at TPU wrote after he had to do some cleaning in an AMD related thread that was run over by our negative commentary friends. :laugh:

Admin said: "Stop peeing in other people's pools." :roll:

W1zzard makes great reviews.
The technology is really interesting and hopefully games like Cyberpunk will implement it. :rolleyes:

I don't own any of the games that supports it at the moment.

Far Cry 6 would be interesting to see with this but unfortunately this game has been delayed until October.
I got FC6 through AMD as promotion code with 5800X. :D
Loved all the FC titles so far and waiting for the new one.

Maybe by then I will have 4k monitor.
With my current 2k 165Hz FreeSync HDR monitor, I get usually high frame rates with my highly Oced at 2750MHz@1175mV 6900XTU Liquid Devil Ultimate in all the games I play.

Cyberpunk with Raytracing is an application where I would like to try FSR if CD Project Red will support it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
FSR is nothing more than a sophisticated upscaling post process pass,
and DLSS is not? Regardless of your schilling here, FSR is still in the early stages, DLSS has had time to mature. Sure FSR is behind DLSS, but give it time.

System Name La Machina
Processor AMD Ryzen 2700
Motherboard ASUS B450 TUF mATX
Cooling EVO 212
Memory Corsair 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) RX 560
Storage Some SSD here, some old spinning stuff there
Display(s) 4k Samsung TV and an Asus Pro Art 231
Case Some microatx Antec
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic 600W maybe?
All this talk about first Gen RTX getting a new lease on life, and I'm here with my RX560 4GB. xD hahaha

and DLSS is not? Regardless of your schilling here, FSR is still in the early stages, DLSS has had time to mature. Sure FSR is behind DLSS, but give it time.
Please allow me to ignore the baseless personal insult part of your internet manifestation, I won't go that deep, sorry.
That being said, if I understand right, DLSS reconstructs and supersamples while FSR upscales, hence my post about comparision, my opinion is that it's not comparable at this time, and reviews should not handle them on the same level.
I would be the happiest if AMD would offer better streaming options, better ray tracing options, better DLSS options, etc... but so far they only offer better rasterization speeds. I honestly hope they will do, because that would mean more competition which would lead to lower prices and better products for us, customers.
I just pointed out that we should still stay objective while we are at it.