• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD has finally fixed the vRAM running at high speed/3d clocks with high refresh rate monitors

Clickbait title or no? for me not at all, I am thrilled with what I have just found out tonight...... :rockout::laugh:

After years and probably thousands of user reports by AMD GPU owners, AMD have finally fixed the vRAM running at high speed/3d clocks with high refresh rate monitors.

I am for the 1st time since owning my 165hz monitor able to just go to display settings in Windows and run it at 165hz and the vRAM doesn't automatically jump up to full speed when browsing or doing anything light/not gaming on the computer.

Right now, 6w usage with Opera browser open and 165hz refresh rate, previously I had to run 100hz top stop the vram from running full 3d clocks which in turn, increased the power draw from around 7w to 25-30w, increased heat output affecting the zero-fan feature. No more CRU custom profiles, running my monitor at a lower refresh rate or switching refresh rates when gaming/not gaming.

Hallelujah praise the lord it has only taken them a few years to work out :respect: :nutkick: , I'm using the latest 22.5.2 drivers for anyone interested.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Wish they'd fix the horrendous driver control panel performance, constantly crashing, taking ages to switch from one tab to another, corrupting saved profiles for no reason... the cards are good but the software, man. Thankfully someone was bright enough to add an option to install just the drivers and skip all the bloatware.

Wish they'd fix the horrendous driver control panel performance, constantly crashing, taking ages to switch from one tab to another, corrupting saved profiles for no reason... the cards are good but the software, man. Thankfully someone was bright enough to add an option to install just the drivers and skip all the bloatware.
Not experienced that myself, I have been using AMD GPU's for years as I know their cards and software, always work for me albeit you do have the odd issue like I mentioned above with the 3D clocks kicking in at anything above 75/100hz

It's like anything, 1 bad review will likely = 100 other users who don't have that issue, but you're more likely to leave feedback if you have a negative experience?

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I personally have no issue with the control panel, but the driver itself... *sigh*

It would all be nice if everything worked all the time, but there's always something to tarnish the otherwise great experience of owning an AMD card. I had a 5700 XT that I sold about a year ago because it kept crashing with "the driver didn't respond and reset itself" messages that were quite common on the 5700 series, unfortunately. Now I have a 6500 XT which, despite all the hate it gets, is not a bad card. It plays the games that I want at decent framerates, and is super silent... it's just that the driver sometimes decides that it should be even more silent by not turning the fan on when I'm on an OC profile. It was freaky as hell when the card nearly overheated after 5 minutes of ME: Andromeda the other day with fans at 0 rpm... on an unmodified fan profile!

AMD software engineers should focus on making things just simply work instead of overcomplicating unnecessary things.

AMD software engineers should focus on making things just simply work work instead of overcomplicating unnecessary things.
I mean that's kind of implying that Nvidia cards/software don't have just as many issues, it's not the case, and again it's not a common issue afaik, as with all things computers it could well be just "one of those things" with your particular setup/software environment/hardware etc for the most part there is little to differentiate between both AMD and Nvidia, maybe price/perf in favour of AMD and slightly more issues, though not enough to warrant picking one over the other as being better or worse IMO

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I mean that's kind of implying that Nvidia cards/software don't have just as many issues, it's not the case, and again it's not a common issue afaik, as with all things computers it could well be just "one of those things" with your particular setup/software environment/hardware etc for the most part there is little to differentiate between both AMD and Nvidia, maybe price/perf in favour of AMD and slightly more issues, though not enough to warrant picking one over the other as being better or worse IMO
Well, I've never had any driver-related issue with GeForce cards, but with AMD, there's always something small. They're not dealbreaker issues that would make me regret buying an AMD card, but they're there.

To make things fair, on nvidia's side, my complaint would be the extremely outdated and restrictive user interface. I mean, why do we still need third-party software to over-/underclock Nvidia cards? And why does the UI look like it's made for Windows 95? I get the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" approach, but c'mon...

Last edited:
System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
From what I can tell, I still need to set the timing to CVT RB for the memory on my new 6800 XT and my old 5700 XT to downclock correctly.

While I haven't sat down and tested my 5700 XT recently, I do recall my 6800 XT running at full speed in 22.5.2 before changing stuff in CRU. As of writing this, and with the CRU changes applied, the memory is running at 192MHz.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
I personally have no issue with the control panel, but the driver itself... *sigh*

It would all be nice if everything worked all the time, but there's always something to tarnish the otherwise great experience of owning an AMD card. I had a 5700 XT that I sold about a year ago because it kept crashing with "the driver didn't respond and reset itself" messages that were quite common on the 5700 series
5700XT user here and I had the same error, however I found a solution to it in an unlikely place... a very old version of Everest monitoring software which I recalled had a fix for that. Upon starting a GPU stress test for the first time it prompts you to "apply a fix to increase the drivers freeze hold time" -or something in the lines of that- and if you dismiss it without reading what it is it'll never come back again, even if you uninstall and then reinstall Everest it won't prompt you again to apply this fix, it's really weird and I don't remember seeing it again in newer versions or in AIDA. It was a life (or card) saver and thankfully remembered that before going online and asking for help. You truly never know when an old dusty CD is holding the secret to resurrect your PC again ^^

Not experienced that myself, I have been using AMD GPU's for years as I know their cards and software, always work for me albeit you do have the odd issue like I mentioned above with the 3D clocks kicking in at anything above 75/100hz

It's like anything, 1 bad review will likely = 100 other users who don't have that issue, but you're more likely to leave feedback if you have a negative experience?
85Hz here and everything works correctly, perhaps the issue is native to newer cards, idk really. It just works but I wish I could make use of the control panel without it being more unstable than XP64 trying to run a game.

To make things fair, on nvidia's side, my complaint would be the extremely outdated and restrictive user interface. I mean, why do we still need third-party software to over-/underclock Nvidia cards? And why does the UI look like it's made for Windows 95? I get the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" approach, but c'mon...
Unironically that's why it's so stable. The old Catalyst drivers for AMD were as stable as nvidia's, but everything started going downhill when they replaced the UI with Crimson and the spaghetti code started piling up just to justify "muh better visuals are better" without caring for stability. Technically it was perfectly possible to add all of the options Crimson and the new drivers have to the previous Catalyst interface, but NO they had to ruin it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Report it every driver release till it's fixed. They can't fix it till they hear about it.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

They should of fixed all that shit before terminating a lot of other cards. A lot of the shit you can disable well in the older drivers at least.

They ever fix the DP to HDMI issue ?.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
it's just that the driver sometimes decides that it should be even more silent by not turning the fan on when I'm on an OC profile. It was freaky as hell when the card nearly overheated after 5 minutes of ME: Andromeda the other day with fans at 0 rpm... on an unmodified fan profile!

That was how my old R9 290 died, AMD driver decided to lock the fan speed to 20% and after maybe a month the card was dead, the VRM or VRAM probably cooked itself to death.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Whats funny is the driver only option has been there since the ATi days

Software Windows 10 Pro
That was how my old R9 290 died, AMD driver decided to lock the fan speed to 20% and after maybe a month the card was dead, the VRM or VRAM probably cooked itself to death.
I can overlook lots of things, but the card cooking itself because the driver F*s up is unacceptable. I'm not even sure if the warranty covers such cases (probably not). :(

I'm glad I have GPU-Z and the Task Manager constantly running on a 7" touchscreen right beside my main monitor. My 6500 XT would have probably met the same fate as your 290 otherwise.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
They should of fixed all that shit before terminating a lot of other cards. A lot of the shit you can disable well in the older drivers at least.

They ever fix the DP to HDMI issue ?.
I'm using two DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapters, no issues.

Like Eidairaman said, report til it's fixed.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Well, I've never had any driver-related issue with GeForce cards, but with AMD, there's always something small. They're not dealbreaker issues that would make me regret buying an AMD card, but they're there.
My last AMD/ATi card was a 5870 + 5080 in CF, had some gripes back then but from what I gather they've come a hec of a long way. I think future purchases wouldn't really factor in drivers/control panel experience for me, more just the cards specs/perf etc and feature stack.
No issues for years here either, and while the interface is old, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, it works, I know where everything is, and I spend very little time actually using it, maybe a few minutes per month? Maybe the overclocking this is more of a "we take no responsibility, so use a 3rd party app"? who knows, but I like MSI AB, I'd use it anyway for the tie in with Rivatuner SS and on screen display which I seemingly can't live without - so even with a Radeon I'd use AB + RTSS

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I can overlook lots of things, but the card cooking itself because the driver F*s up is unacceptable. I'm not even sure if the warranty covers such cases (probably not). :(

I'm glad I have GPU-Z and the Task Manager constantly running on a 7" touchscreen right beside my main monitor. My 6500 XT would have probably met the same fate as your 290 otherwise.
I remember detonators killing nv cards.

My 290 is fine to this day

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
I'm using two DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapters, no issues.

Like Eidairaman said, report til it's fixed.

Good, still a shame they never fixed it in the older drivers even more so with all the "shortages" going on.

I get stuck st 30Hz unless a drop back about 6 month from when the put the last bunch of cards in legacy, and pointless reporting it any more.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Good, still a shame they never fixed it in the older drivers even more so with all the "shortages" going on.

I get stuck st 30Hz unless a drop back about 6 month from when the put the last bunch of cards in legacy, and pointless reporting it any more.
Erm i did a report for 5 months straight, they do get fixed.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Erm i did a report for 5 months straight, they do get fixed.

Well i cannot get 60Hz going though DP to HDMI 4k unless i use drivers way before they ended support for the 390X, as much as i found is that any thing newer than around this time 19.8.1-Aug20 will only give a max of 30Hz.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK

What's funny is I can use the mini displayport to full displayport to HDMI on my other, older cards like the HD7950 and R9280, and be fine.

ARF

If true, this is really a great news. The issue has plagued the Radeon products for a decade or more...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Report it every driver release till it's fixed. They can't fix it till they hear about it.
It's not something that can really be fixed because of vBlank timings. The only thing they can do is add another VRAM clock stage like NVIDIA does where, for example, it would try 500 MHz before jumping to 2000 MHz. This is a hardware thing, so obviously the earliest that could happen is RDNA3.

AMD did try to eliminate the high clock when there's only one monitor connected. It is more likely to happen when there are two or more monitors connected. In my case, 144 Hz on the 4K causes 2000 MHz clock; 120 Hz on 4K drops to 0 MHz. I run 120 Hz in the summer and 144 Hz in the winter.

Well i cannot get 60Hz going though DP to HDMI 4k unless i use drivers way before they ended support for the 390X, as much as i found is that any thing newer than around this time 19.8.1-Aug20 will only give a max of 30Hz.
That's a bug. Not sure if it has been fixed or not.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Clickbait title or no? for me not at all, I am thrilled with what I have just found out tonight...... :rockout::laugh:

After years and probably thousands of user reports by AMD GPU owners, AMD have finally fixed the vRAM running at high speed/3d clocks with high refresh rate monitors.

I am for the 1st time since owning my 165hz monitor able to just go to display settings in Windows and run it at 165hz and the vRAM doesn't automatically jump up to full speed when browsing or doing anything light/not gaming on the computer.

Right now, 6w usage with Opera browser open and 165hz refresh rate, previously I had to run 100hz top stop the vram from running full 3d clocks which in turn, increased the power draw from around 7w to 25-30w, increased heat output affecting the zero-fan feature. No more CRU custom profiles, running my monitor at a lower refresh rate or switching refresh rates when gaming/not gaming.

Hallelujah praise the lord it has only taken them a few years to work out :respect: :nutkick: , I'm using the latest 22.5.2 drivers for anyone interested.
Which GPU are you using? I have this problem, which AMD swears is normal, on my RX5700XT, not to mention more driver crashes than I have ever experienced with a video card.
I'll check later...