• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Polaris 11 "Baffin" ASIC Pictured Up Close

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB (M.2), Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA)
Display(s) 27" Ozone DSP27 Pro
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR444
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO SE
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Home x64
Very strange, since GloFlo is supposed to be the manufacturer. And only one of their facilities is set up for the right specs to do it, which is the Malta, NY plant, north of Albany. I'm guessing that facility is at maximum capacity and AMD realized they would have to bring in someone else.
Another possibility is that GloFo's process has worse power efficiency, and since low power use will be critical for <75 W desktop and especially laptop design wins, AMD went with TSMC's better process for Baffin. It would also explain why the RX 480 gets completely slaughtered by Pascal when it comes to power efficiency.

Very strange, since GloFlo is supposed to be the manufacturer
It's been known that AMD/RTG would use fab's based on feasibility. This miniscule part means even if at TSMC they're buy only a "few" wafer's that might have better yields. While they give GloFo the mainstream volume part that helps fulfill their wafer agreement probably cost them less and they have more flexibility to produce as they need.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...samsung-could-tap-foundry-for-future-products

It would also explain why the RX 480 gets completely slaughtered by Pascal when it comes to power efficiency.

And while it's not a great position… IT is great for us! As we now have a another foundry, and AMD will have way more access to scheduling and juggling what they receive than they ever obtained from a crowed TSMC, and it’s only getting more crowed over there. While given the AMD wafer agreement they can now satisfy that without penalty, while I’m sure AMD's see a advantageous wafer cost. Probably seeing a better wafer cost than was at TSMC, and no longer agonizing about how they can push enough production into GloFo to not be penalized. If/when that relationship can really start cranking out in a concerted effort that's when the graphic industry will really see a divergence from the kind of "me to" production chip design and fulfillment we’ve been stuck in with TSMC for like over a decade.

Could AMD/RTG see better parts from GloFo like they saw with Kaveri, and couldn’t they just release them as a 485 part with increase in clock, hold on the TDP, while unearth more headroom? What if at the end of October AMD has a RX 485 8Gb for $10 MSRP increase, while lower both the existing 480 4/8Gb price slightly to move them out, then back fill in January with a RX 485 4Gb. Figure end of September the GTX 1060 has totally filled-in the channel, and there's no changing course. AMD's AIB partners just use their existing designs and print new boxes… Yes a rebrand, but it is easy for AMD to manage and done on the fly, because working with GloFo provides easy rearranging of production like they never had at TSMC. Even better Nvidia won’t have near the reconnaissance they had when AMD was at TSMC.

Last edited:
Right?! This is the perfect candidate for a modern HD 4850, but less likely to heat itself to death.

Single slot is just a near-useless form-factor now for anything besides low-profile PC's.

Even my absolutely microscopic Mini-ITX case has 2 slots. Half length mini cards are just a more efficient use of space since they allow for standard thickness coolers.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Single slot is just a near-useless form-factor now for anything besides low-profile PC's.

Even my absolutely microscopic Mini-ITX case has 2 slots. Half length mini cards are just a more efficient use of space since they allow for standard thickness coolers.

Single slot is still useful for use in mATX systems. You want to be able to use your PCI-E 1x/8x slots and have a multi-GPU setup? Single slot GPUs still allow that. Some people still use things like USB or sound cards and the likes in mATX systems.

Alternatively you could invest in the monstrously expensive dual-ASIC GPUs straight from the get-go.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
The wafers are made in those places. They're sliced/diced, bumped, and packaged in Taiwan.

Case closed, I guess?

BTW does anyone have photo of 480's chip?

Single slot is still useful for use in mATX systems. You want to be able to use your PCI-E 1x/8x slots and have a multi-GPU setup? Single slot GPUs still allow that. Some people still use things like USB or sound cards and the likes in mATX systems.

Alternatively you could invest in the monstrously expensive dual-ASIC GPUs straight from the get-go.

I get the sound card problem, but just like mGPU systems that is a SMALLLLL portion of the market. As for other cards (Wifi, USB, etc) - come on don't waste PCIE lanes on those things.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Case closed, I guess?

BTW does anyone have photo of 480's chip?

480 chip is clean and shiny, but you can find "Made in Taiwan" on the GPU metal shim/bracket :

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/4.html

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10

I find the card length to be 10 times more important in SFF builds than single slot cooler. Also, those builds are usually in need of better cooling which single slot can't provide compared to two slot.

Reactions: xvi
I find the card length to be 10 times more important in SFF builds than single slot cooler. Also, those builds are usually in need of better cooling which single slot can't provide compared to two slot.

Bingo. And that is what the market decided as well...

Was talking about mATX multi-adapter setups, not SFF. If you run SLI/Crossfire on pretty much any mATX motherboard you lose access to the other two expansion slots.

Processor Intel core i5 6600k@4.5ghz
Motherboard Msi Z270 Carbon
Cooling Cooler Master T20
Memory Corsair lpx 16gb 2666mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac gtx 1070 8GB
Storage 1tb toshiba hdd Adata su 240gb ssd
Display(s) LG 34UC97 1440P
Power Supply Green gp550a gold
Software Win 10
Hm, AMD was not lying. polaris 11 is more Power efficient than polaris 10

This really shows how impressive the AMD Nano was.
Thanks to HBM

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
This is the card where stock cooler on reference RX480 is supposed to be

Last edited:
Was talking about mATX multi-adapter setups, not SFF. If you run SLI/Crossfire on pretty much any mATX motherboard you lose access to the other two expansion slots.

That is a fact you simply accept when you crossfire, and if you want to load up a ton of slots you get ATX-E.

That is a fact you simply accept when you crossfire, and if you want to load up a ton of slots you get ATX-E.

The assumption there is foresight. Foresight of an upgrade path at time of purchase, foresight of future products, and foresight of future needs in hardware. Not much to ask for a company to accomodate by creating a fairly simple version of a standard product.

Or you can mod your own hardware and allow yourself the flexibility that no brand will provide.

The assumption there is foresight. Foresight of an upgrade path at time of purchase, foresight of future products, and foresight of future needs in hardware. Not much to ask for a company to accomodate by creating a fairly simple version of a standard product.

Or you can mod your own hardware and allow yourself the flexibility that no brand will provide.

Haha im sorry but now you are complaining about how hard it is to plan ahead. It really isn't buddy.

P.S. There ARE still single slot card solutions for many cards, and in fact I can guarantee that there will be one for the 460 (And maybe for the 470). But this is a very niche market now, and therefore the support is practically for OEM's only.

Haha im sorry but now you are complaining about how hard it is to plan ahead. It really isn't buddy.

I'm not complaining, 'buddy'. But I can see that you are not able to understand that different people want different things, so I think we're done wasting each others time.

Good talk. :)

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
Someone wake me when Vega surfaces.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The wafers are made in those places. They're sliced/diced, bumped, and packaged in Taiwan.

So really then, the chip should state "Assembled In Taiwan".

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I'm complaining these should be single slot. Plenty of situations would prefer a single slot solution. The g92 should consume roughly the same amount of power and yet it was single slot and depending on which version you got silent.

I don't believe where it receives "value added" processes constitutes product origin. The majority of the product entity (silicon) is what determines it's country of origin and would have that marked on the die itself. Unless GloFo has a factory in Taiwan that they actually own that does such second operations, which I don't believe they do there might be a way around that. If the wafer moves from say Singapore to be packaged (metal shim/bracket) in Taiwan then that assembly can be marked as such, but my understanding would be the die itself would be marked "Made in Singapore". If the wafer/die say came out of a fab in New York it would need to be market USA.

I suppose this might be what I understand for components and goods entering the USA, what might be pictured of a product(s) destined for other markets might not need to be subject to the same country of origin labeling requirements. Honestly it all very convoluted, the bottom line; countries fight hard to hold on to their ability to say it was made here, especially when it comes to high tech and/or durable goods. I know this all seems a little anal, but it's the hours of BS from our Corporate Trade Compliance training person is always trying to have us understand, you should come it's really fun...NOT!

Last edited: