• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Prepares 7nm "Renoir X" Processors Lacking Integrated Graphics, and "Vermeer S"

SL2

What is the purpose of Vermeer S then, if in 5 months they will release a new generation?
You seem to have an idealistic approach to what to buy, only buy the fastest possible and wait for the next big thing.
That's fine, but you should respect the fact that there are a lot of people that don't have that kind of money,
especially these days when graphics cards cost as much as they do.

The way I see it, with some repeating:

- Vermeer S will work in boards that are incompatible with AM5, which makes them a possible great cost-effective upgrade.

- New systems will be cheaper than AM5 thanks to existing parts.

- Vermeer S and Raphael have probably been developed for years, meaning that whatever roadmap AMD may have had back then may have looked differently than today, where that time span could have been much more than 5 months. We simply don't know. AMD didn't plan on a 5 month gap from the beginning, I'm pretty sure about that.

- If anything bad would happen with the development of first AM5 CPU that would have caused a delay, Vermeer S would have been even more needed.

- The very fact that it's only 5 months in between is a good sign: AMD is on the right track with the next platform.

- 15 % faster in games is great! Last generation was 19 % according to AMD IIRC.

- We actually don't know much as of yet. No launch dates, no reviews, no prices, we know nothing about availability. ONLY RUMORS. That goes for both Vermeer S and Raphael.

Last edited:
System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
I agree.
Upgrading the CPU is a much cheaper solution than CPU + new board + DDR5. DDR5 is expensive and judging by the Intel reviews they're overpriced most of the time, without adding any performance uplifts.
Even buying a Vermeer S + board + RAM will be cheaper than the AM5 option.
True, still use a APU from 2012/13 its much cheaper than CPU + new Board + DDR4:p

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Why don't you buy the Ryzen 9 5900X now? Or in the last 12 months? It will be a very great upgrade anyways, and only the Ryzen 9 6900X, 6950X and 5950X will remain faster, all of them much more expensive.

AMD is narrow minded and inconsiderate.

Because these are people with large egos, but technically very limited skills and abilities, they drive the world to a catastrophe, pandemics, global warming, wars, poverty, global shortages of components, you name it.
But otherwise think they are great, great in another reality :D
Are you really going to pull the "AMD is narrow minded" when Intel has done the same thing for years? I hear you can get your sight checked for cheap now.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
A tip for anyone not wanting a Vermeer S: Do not buy it
I'll be waiting for the AM5/DDR5 donation, or cost difference, whichever. It's a good upgrade to finish off a socket without murdering bank accounts or your parent's credit.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
What is the purpose of Vermeer S then, if in 5 months they will release a new generation?
Why do you say this when you say this a few comments later:
Why don't you buy the Ryzen 9 5900X now? Or in the last 12 months? It will be a very great upgrade anyways, and only the Ryzen 9 6900X, 6950X and 5950X will remain faster, all of them much more expensive.

AMD is narrow minded and inconsiderate.

Because these are people with large egos, but technically very limited skills and abilities, they drive the world to a catastrophe, pandemics, global warming, wars, poverty, global shortages of components, you name it.
But otherwise think they are great, great in another reality :D
A 6900X will be an even better upgrade for someone in a few months from now than a 5900X will be now, and since they share the same platform, it kind of makes sense to wait if the need to upgrade isn't dire. If, when the 6xxx series comes out, and they're more expensive than the 5xxx series and provide negligible performance increases over the 5xxx's, then it's likely the 5xxx CPU's will be even cheaper than they are now, and be an even better deal, again, without the need for a change of platform.

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
Vermeer S is good for 30xx hold outs and lets be honest when "Raphael" comes out prolly wont be in stock, I waited 6 months to get 5950x at msrp and I live by Microcenter.

How is this a silly update. Zen 4 is 12 months away, they have a Zen3+ CPU ready to go in Q1 2022 that should have up to 15% uplift in performance. It is a direct plugin on X4xx and X5xx boards. Cost of entry will be much lower than Zen 4 which needs an all new MB and memory and no doubt CPU prices will increase again over Zen 3 as will board costs due to DDR5 support. It's not like its stealing wafers from Zen 4 either. Also means they get to test their 3D cache fully before Zen 4. The only silly thing would be for them to actually increase the price of Vermeer S relative to Vermeer IMO by more than $20.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
I just need new threadripper................

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
They should have released Renoir to everyone on day 1, probably wouldn't be sitting on leftovers now.

As for Vermeer S, make me a Cezanne2, call it a 5750G or whatever, same specs as 5700g but with 64MB L3/3D/vertical/whatever cache for $350 CAD and I will buy one. Be nice if you could throw in RNDA 2 iGPU and enable ECC while you're at it :)

If anyone here wants to throw money at AMD after these allegations from the WSJ (behind paywall) back in 2019, which did not come to my attention (not that I'm buried in this industry 24/7) after discovering this thread over here on this site then let them make an informed decision.
Ethical consumerism is a real thing these days. I ain't trying to start a fanboi flame war here cause' Intel are not perfect saints either. But I believe in linking up the information out there so PC consumers can make up their own minds. The OP of that thread over on that site makes a VERY interesting point about why AMD could afford to move to 7nm before the mighty behemoth of Intel could ever do back at the time.
I'll repeat, NOT trying to start a flame war here, just putting it out there!

I think desktop Rembrandt would be more interesing than Vermeer 3d but a big part is just because it's the product I'd like to get. Hopefully both can happen?
Anyway, better cpus and this level of active competition is a good thing regardless

They should have released Renoir to everyone on day 1, probably wouldn't be sitting on leftovers now.

As for Vermeer S, make me a Cezanne2, call it a 5750G or whatever, same specs as 5700g but with 64MB L3/3D/vertical/whatever cache for $350 CAD and I will buy one. Be nice if you could throw in RNDA 2 iGPU and enable ECC while you're at it :)

The Renoir chips they'll allegedly recycle are the ones from laptops (the article mentions repackage as AM4 processors, so they currently aren't that, hence laptops) so the stupid oem exclusivity isn't a reason here

As for Vermeer S, I pretty much share your wishlist enterily

Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 240P rad / whatever fans)
Memory Just about any under the Sun. Lost count.
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX580 8GB Red Dragon V2
Storage 1TB Kioxia Exceria NVMe M.2
Display(s) LG 22MK430H-B
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550FX
Mouse Westrom (store brand) with the RGBs
Keyboard Aula Dawnguard
Software Win10 Education
The problem with Vermeer S is that it's a dead end and the next generation Raphael will be launched fairly soon..

AMD has no problem in losing the "performance crown" because it's not important at all, unless you are willing to wave your willie...

The price of the products is the deciding factor.
Hmm where have we seen this before...
Broadwell? Broadwell. Rare but I haven't heard those 1 1/2 owning it complain.
Rocket? Rocket. Tell a niche of OCers running DDR4-6000+ on that, how wrong they are. Preaching to a choir, but a choir that hits notes better ;)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I would so not buy any CPU without an IGP nowadays. Why? It's so useful for testing and troubleshooting as it's really useful for when you just need to get a picture and can use it to avoid a whole lot of potential hair pulling.

It's also nice to see how well it can play games. In particular, old games play pretty well on modern IGPs.

Last edited:

SL2

Another good thing about the launch of Vermeer S is that the current Ryzen 5000 models will probably drop a bit in price. This usually never happens when the new CPU requires a new socket.

Remember the prices for used 7700K's not too long ago? The prices looked like the 8700K, 9900K or Ryzen didn't exist, and yes, in a way they're not relevant for those who wants to upgrade their current system.
That's why Vermeer S serves a bit of different purpose than Raphael, even though they're part of the same product series.

Why don't you buy the Ryzen 9 5900X now? Or in the last 12 months?
What a lovely idea.

I bet no one can come up with a reason for not buying during that time.. :kookoo:

I would so not buy any CPU without an IGP nowadays. Why? It's so useful for testing and troubleshooting as it's really useful for when you just need to get a picture and can use it to avoid a whole lot of potential hair pulling.

It's also nice to see how well it can play games. In particular, old games play pretty well on modern IGPs.
Yeah, AMD sure has some catching up to do here. In the AM3+ (and earlier) days you had to compromise on the motherboard to get onboard graphics,
and with AM4 you simply can't buy a premium CPU with an IGP without compromising on the CPU performance or price. This will change with AM5 AFAIK.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
If anyone here wants to throw money at AMD after these allegations from the WSJ (behind paywall) back in 2019, which did not come to my attention (not that I'm buried in this industry 24/7) after discovering this thread over here on this site then let them make an informed decision.
Ethical consumerism is a real thing these days. I ain't trying to start a fanboi flame war here cause' Intel are not perfect saints either. But I believe in linking up the information out there so PC consumers can make up their own minds. The OP of that thread over on that site makes a VERY interesting point about why AMD could afford to move to 7nm before the mighty behemoth of Intel could ever do back at the time.
I'll repeat, NOT trying to start a flame war here, just putting it out there!
The article you linked to was a sensationalist article, and forum threads aren't exactly known for their... credibility. The wikipedia article from another user that replied earlier explains the deal just fine. A deal approved by the DoD at the time, one that took them 4 years to decide to change course. I hope I don't have to explain how long 4 years is, technology wise.

I guess my question to you is, what do you consider "ethical consumerism"? Is it just not buying anything from any company that does any business with/in China? You're going to be spreading yourself mighty thin with that. What about anti-consumerist practices, such as what Intel did in the late 2000's(https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...nst-1-4-billion-eu-fine-idUSKBN0EN0M120140612)? What AMD did was a deal directly approved by the DoD. It was simply capitalism. What intel did was blatant anti-consumerism. I guess you need to decide if buying from either company is "ethical".

Additionally, AMD could "afford" to move to 7nm because TSMC had it ready before intel, that is all. TSMC has nothing directly to do with AMD. AMD is just a customer.

In the future, I suggest you try not to get your information from random people on the internet unless they give you credible articles for the "information" they're providing.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
These could be the company's first response to Intel Core "Alder Lake," although since they're based on the older AM4 platform, could only feature DDR4 and PCIe Gen 4.
hehe, given the fact you cant buy DDR5 memory(sold out at most places) or PCIe 5 devices are far and wide between makes DDR4/PCIe4 a good choice XD

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
So confirmation of Vermeer S but no word of pricing yet?

I don't think anyone is expecting AMD to take the performance crown from Intel with Zen3+ but it'll probably close the gap enough that people will start looking and efficiency and performance/$. Alder Lake is somewhat efficient at lower clocks, but it isn't particularly cheap and that won't change until we get some B660 boards because the cheapest half-decent ones start at $230 and $300 is what I'd call something other than a barebones solution.

All AMD has to do is match Intel on performance/$ and they'll likely win on efficiency and tempt people with existing compatible boards, and possibly new customers with the wealth of decent-quality $150 boards for AM4.

So confirmation of Vermeer S but no word of pricing yet?

I don't think anyone is expecting AMD to take the performance crown from Intel with Zen3+ but it'll probably close the gap enough that people will start looking and efficiency and performance/$. Alder Lake is somewhat efficient at lower clocks, but it isn't particularly cheap and that won't change until we get some B660 boards because the cheapest half-decent ones start at $230 and $300 is what I'd call something other than a barebones solution.

All AMD has to do is match Intel on performance/$ and they'll likely win on efficiency and tempt people with existing compatible boards, and possibly new customers with the wealth of decent-quality $150 boards for AM4.
My guess is that AMD will probably "paper launch" Verneer S with pricing & availability at CES next month.
Chips will then hopefully begin to land at retailers around March/April 2022.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
The problem with Vermeer S is that it's a dead end and the next generation Raphael will be launched fairly soon..

AMD has no problem in losing the "performance crown" because it's not important at all, unless you are willing to wave your willie...

The price of the products is the deciding factor.
I think there's no such thing as a dead end. If you own an X570, B550 or A520 system, Vermeer S will bring some uplift in performance.

If by "dead end" you mean no upgrades after a certain CPU generation, then everything is a dead end, as no platform offers any upgrades across more than 2, maybe 3 generations.

The value of a system depends on what you use it for, and not on how many generations of future CPUs you can put in it.

I for one, have an 11th gen Intel system. Is it a dead end? In your terms it maybe is, but as long as it does what it needs to do, I couldn't care less.