• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT Pricing Slides Down to Under $355, Threatening RTX 4060 Ti and RX 7600 XT

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have a civil discussion.
Stop with the insults and demeaning remarks directed towards other members.

System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
Not at the moment. It's not their priority. They have limited access to latest silicon at TSMC, as everybody wants the access, including Intel, alongside Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm, Broadcom, MediaTek, etc. They have more profitable data center CPUs, APUs and GPUs to attend to, plus contracts for gaming APUs. It's obviously more profitable to dedicate more silicon to client CPUs, especially EPYC and Instinct where margins are crazy than offer it to pesky gamers for 10 or 20 times less money.
This might be the wishful thinking. But It seems it's good time for AMD to think about own foundry business. Maybe even bringing back some of the US and Dresden foundries, and package facilities that became GloFo, and get some piece of chip funding pie. That would surely benefit more than intel wasting the billions on own offshore plants, and useless strategy.

Yes, it's not necessary for the chip manufacturer company, that designs them, to have a foundry as well. As this is very risky and needs significant, rather huge amount of money. But AMD is not nVidia with trillions of bucks, and they have a special place in the semiconductor industry, on contrary to it's direct rivals, such as nVidia and intel.
AMD cannot, or doesn't want to pay the prices for more fab allocation, needed for better availability of consumer products. This might be the one of the reasons of such unwilling behavior towards consumer market. So AMD has to choose between the very limited allocation either for most and least profitable products/branches.
Maybe if they had cheaper or less restrict fab capacity, there would be the chance for more consumer products.

It has been about datacenter/ML for a long time, it was completely obvious to everyone, including AMD. AMD kept making ROCm announcements since 2016, which are completely detached from their actual progress. 7 years of ROCm "work" got completely and utterly left in the dust by 7 months of Intel's openVINO/IPEX team in both performance and compatibility. Even today, in Linux, using officially supported 7900XT/X, ROCm doesn't even support important libraries used in Oobabooga. For all real world intents and purposes, ROCm is still nowhere in sight. I'm keen to see how they win datacenter/ML relevance like that.
With regards to ROCm and 7900 xtx, if I'm not mistaken AMD's priority has been with the CDNA GPUs with regards to ROCm and not with the RDNA lineup.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Well no RDNA3 beside the 7900XTX show up in Steam Hardware Survey, let hope the massive price cut change that
Not even the 7800 XT is showing up at Steam's Hardware Survey (Jan 2024), which btw. sold at least more than 2x as the 7900 XTX. Also did you notice the positions in the Steam Hardware Survey: "AMD Radeon Graphics", "AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics" (2x), "AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405"? ;) What does this tell us? Steam most likely isn't recognizing AMD GPU's correctly or mis-labeling them on purpose.

The hardware survey being published every month only collect data on the second day of every month, I got surveyed maybe once a year
I got maybe 3 Steam surveys. In a span of ~19 years I am on Steam. :laugh:

She can definitely perform better.
Let's look at the overall discrete graphics market share:
Nvidia: 80.2%; AMD: 17%; intel: 2%
The all-time low for AMD is 10% but also the all time high is over 40%.
Sure they could do better, but atm. Nvidia is just on a very strong run. :) On the other side the RDNA chiplet approach could turn things around in the upcoming years, maybe not in the performance king crown league but in cost efficiency, giving them the option to battle Nvidia by price. When looking at the DIY CPU sale numbers the game can change pretty fast in favour for AMD, if they can get the chiplets to really shine. Also the 7000 Series is their first chiplet approach, so there is a lot of headroom to improve. It's a long game and changes often only pay off with the 2nd or 3rd generation. Especially at AMD.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dude, the stock is up 600% OVER five years. That means the stock price today is 600% higher not the stock price five years ago. Its also the highest TODAY than ever in AMD history. But its nice to have another AMD attacker to debate. More recent ones don’t last long. By the way, a CEO is not fired because the competition is also doing well. That makes no sense especially in a market with so few players.

Not true it peaked @$158 in 2021 which is $180 in today's dollars, also adjusting for inflation the stock's value is 495% higher than it was 5 years ago but as other pointed out that is misleading because the stock fell over 66% from when it peaked 2 years ago and still hasn't recovered.

It's funny, but for years I wanted to be a part of the steam hardware survey, especially with my all AMD builds, never got an invitation, Yet, just a week or so ago, my AIO kicked the bucket (enermax....
my friend's AIO leaked 2 weeks ago too, he had to change mobo, ram and cooler. his rig was like 2 years or so. quite high end setup. 3090 is ok.

I think its not a bad idea to come back to air instead of aio for CPU, when you consider it. the aio should be on the GPU not on the CPU. my GPU is 450W and my CPU 30-60W. while my aio is mostly idle, my GPU is choking hot air in the case.

just to say, I wish the GPU and AIO makers would agree to create a new OEM standard compatible multi-GPU-AIO

Not true it peaked @$158 in 2021 which is $180 in today's dollars, also adjusting for inflation the stock's value is 495% higher than it was 5 years ago but as other pointed out that is misleading because the stock fell over 66% from when it peaked 2 years ago and still hasn't recovered.
You have to consider the fact that the stock was "diluted" by 35-40% when AMD acquired Xilinx with extra stock issued

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not even the 7800 XT is showing up at Steam's Hardware Survey (Jan 2024), which btw. sold at least more than 2x as the 7900 XTX. Also did you notice the positions in the Steam Hardware Survey: "AMD Radeon Graphics", "AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics" (2x), "AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405"? ;) What does this tell us? Steam most likely isn't recognizing AMD GPU's correctly or mis-labeling them on purpose.

I got maybe 3 Steam surveys. In a span of ~19 years I am on Steam. :laugh:

Sure they could do better, but atm. Nvidia is just on a very strong run. :) On the other side the RDNA chiplet approach could turn things around in the upcoming years, maybe not in the performance king crown league but in cost efficiency, giving them the option to battle Nvidia by price. When looking at the DIY CPU sale numbers the game can change pretty fast in favour for AMD, if they can get the chiplets to really shine. Also the 7000 Series is their first chiplet approach, so there is a lot of headroom to improve. It's a long game and changes often only pay off with the 2nd or 3rd generation. Especially at AMD.
AMD Radeon (TM) Graphics could be the Zen 4 iGPU, because it's called that in the device manager and GPU-Z. It is also possible that it's detected as the primary GPU in the Steam survey, and whatever is in the PCI-e slot isn't.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
You have to consider the fact that the stock was "diluted" by 35-40% when AMD acquired Xilinx with extra stock issued

Doesn't matter IMO, if I were liquidate all my AMD stock I would have less of not the same buying buy than if I had liquidated back then. The stock is trending higher because the dollar is worth less, not because the value of the stock increased.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
Always too little too late. How is Lisa Su not fired yet? 3 years of abysmal execution and Radeon brand tarnishing.

EDIT: Lol at everyone who can't differentiate between CPU and GPU side, cherry picking timeframes, and not normalizing for sector wide movements.

I dunno about "too little too late" but GPU prices have been horrendously inflated and mostly stagnant across the board from the Get-go. AMD still has some reasonably priced "fill-the-gap" tasters with the likes of 10GB-6700, 12GB-6700XT/6750XT, surprisingly still selling and hopefully further price cut action to follow. Wasn't the initial perception AMD was willy nilly sticking to its 7000-series inflated guns to drain 6000-series cards? With the 7700XT at $350 my first impressions being previous Gen (same perf segment) is finally running on low stock, a good pretext to gear up production for the 7700XT (or release intentionally induced excess inventory).

'Lisa Su and being fired for 3-year abysmal execution and brand tarnishing'; lol that sounds like Firedrops dropping delinquent fire bombs with consumer dissuasion for collateral damage. Oddly enough i didn't give a rats-arse about Radeon cards until these last (same timeframe) 2-3 years. 6000-7000-series being great alternatives to Nvidia's harshly inflated price segmenting and feature over-valuing.... for me RTX 30/40-series higher tier MSRPs were a "hold on a minute" rethink moment. Not sure whose laps the "brand tarnishing" falls onto but purely from my (gaming) perspective Nvidia's the bigger offender... although no-offense taken in the boardroom where oodles of market share exploitation and profit margins matter more.

Anyway, i'm glad the 7700XT is drilled down to $350 although i'm not confident retailers will quickly fall in line (anytime soon)... not with some of those 67'ers causing a riot.

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
It has been about datacenter/ML for a long time, it was completely obvious to everyone, including AMD. AMD kept making ROCm announcements since 2016, which are completely detached from their actual progress. 7 years of ROCm "work" got completely and utterly left in the dust by 7 months of Intel's openVINO/IPEX team in both performance and compatibility. Even today, in Linux, using officially supported 7900XT/X, ROCm doesn't even support important libraries used in Oobabooga. For all real world intents and purposes, ROCm is still nowhere in sight. I'm keen to see how they win datacenter/ML relevance like that.

If you want to parade your utter ignorance, Nvidia is up 1800% over the same 5 years. There's a reason I said 3 years, not 5, because Lisa Su did incredible work with Ryzen before that.

Past 3 years, AMD is up 100%, great! Nvidia is up 500% in the same time period. CEOs aren't retained for what they did 5 years ago. 3 years of underperformance is already beyond what most boards will tolerate.

so you have Nvidia stock, and use AMD products….

ya so… would rather pay 73.95% gross margins to Nvidia… or 47% gross margins to AMD… Btw Apple’s gross margins are 45.87%…

so apple can ”survive” on 45.87… why can Nvidia not do the same thing?… oh, stockholders… but if you are a customer) the product you want should have a low gross margin… budget-er product. and with Nvidia having 80% market share… 73.95 gross margin (is truly gross) is only good for the stockmarket/stock holders…
everybody “says” apple too expensive and they are buying fashion, sheeple, izombies, etc… but what about Nvidia? twice the price, 10fps extra!.(4090) i bought in to the hype with the gtx980 over gtx970… which was 50% more for 20% more…

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
so you have Nvidia stock, and use AMD products….

ya so… would rather pay 73.95% gross margins to Nvidia… or 47% gross margins to AMD… Btw Apple’s gross margins are 45.87%…

so apple can ”survive” on 45.87… why can Nvidia not do the same thing?… oh, stockholders… but if you are a customer) the product you want should have a low gross margin… budget-er product. and with Nvidia having 80% market share… 73.95 gross margin (is truly gross) is only good for the stockmarket/stock holders…
everybody “says” apple too expensive and they are buying fashion, sheeple, izombies, etc… but what about Nvidia? twice the price, 10fps extra!.(4090) i bought in to the hype with the gtx980 over gtx970… which was 50% more for 20% more…
I've seen it mentioned in a couple earnings statements like for ex. Tesla stating that they will not grow AI/Compute whilst feeding a suppliers 70% margin. The sudden rise of custom AI chips from the top 3 megacap AI companies is a direct result of the gouging. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot. If they had kept margins close the the already ridonkulous 50% margin for tech, the push for alternative suppliers would not be so ardent as it is by the big 3.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
AMD Radeon (TM) Graphics could be the Zen 4 iGPU, because it's called that in the device manager and GPU-Z. It is also possible that it's detected as the primary GPU in the Steam survey, and whatever is in the PCI-e slot isn't.
All of those handhleds running Steam must have had an impact by now.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Anyway, i'm glad the 7700XT is drilled down to $350 although i'm not confident retailers will quickly fall in line (anytime soon)... not with some of those 67'ers causing a riot.

Except it's not. The 7700 XT is $422 and that's the lowest it's been since the day after this news article was published.

Newegg did a 1-day discount as a seemingly very successful publicity stunt judging by this thread, and then prices went right back to where they were before. 3 months ago I bought a 7700 XT for $430 and there's a single model available for less today, by all of $8.

Nothing's changed.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
All of those handhleds running Steam must have had an impact by now.
It also depends on whether you get asked to take part in the survey or not, I guess. This is the biggest flaw of the Steam survey, imo. It's not automatic and it doesn't survey every Steam user.

Intel's $15-$17 Billion in the same time period and on the graphics side, AMD's probably less that $1 Billion had to go up against Nvidia's $5+ Billion. So, with Intel outspending AMD by a factor of 15x,
I know it's not on topic but most of Intel's spending is on it's fabs, because they are an IDM, unlike AMD/Nvidia. Makes sense? It's been a long time I checked, but probably 10 out of the 15 is for fabs, making R&D similar to Nvidia.