• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RDNA 2 "Big Navi" to Feature 12 GB and 16 GB VRAM Configurations

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Gddr6 is slower than gddr6x on top amperes.

paragon

Nvidia is on 8nm Samsung this time around. They may have an impressive design with Ampere, but Samsung's 8nm is not good - at least it's nowhere near as mature or as efficient as TSMC's 7nm EUV.

Can you please elaborate on why you think this is so?

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
All GPU prices are out of whack. All low, mid, med, high and enthusiast prices. They are ALL overpriced!

I agree and I've seen videos by folks like Tom who say that Nvidia will charge even more. In fact, I hope they do because even while there are total knobs who will pay anything for the top card/performance most profit ironically comes from the much higher numbers from lower end sales. The Radeon 500 series cards have sold well because more people could buy them. I'd really like to see AMD release most of the 6000 stack within two months of all the models and see the low end cards not go over $150 USD. It's just a waiting game at this point though. The cheapest 5500XT is $180! That's just too much. I will be buying a 6950XTX or whatever it's called when it comes out but I'll be going from below average income to well above it.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I agree and I've seen videos by folks like Tom who say that Nvidia will charge even more. In fact, I hope they do because even while there are total knobs who will pay anything for the top card/performance most profit ironically comes from the much higher numbers from lower end sales. The Radeon 500 series cards have sold well because more people could buy them. I'd really like to see AMD release most of the 6000 stack within two months of all the models and see the low end cards not go over $150 USD. It's just a waiting game at this point though. The cheapest 5500XT is $180! That's just too much. I will be buying a 6950XTX or whatever it's called when it comes out but I'll be going from below average income to well above it.
I'm OK with that so long as AMD doesn't also price hike. If they do, the GPU economy is going to tank IMO.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Can you please elaborate on why you think this is so?
Hints all over the place really; Samsung 8nm isn't constrained because it's not a particularly desirable node, it simply doesn't hit the efficiency or clockspeeds that customers want for desktop/server/laptop power budgets. Most of the customers of Samsung's 8nm are in the smartphone/embedded market. It's a cheap process - probably because Samsung can't afford to sell it for more - it's simply not good enough to compete with either of TSMC's 7nm nodes, and is priced against GloFo's 12LP+ FinFET node. Let's face it, Samsung as selling their manufacturing process to customers for as much as they possibly can. If it was competitive with TSMC's 7nm it would be priced like TSMC's 7nm.

More fuel to the fire is that the most popular product built on Samsung's 8nm is its own Exynos phone processors but Samsung's flagship Exynos 990 is inferior to the Qualcomm Snapdragons built on TSMC. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison because we're talking about two different ARM designs here as well as two different process nodes, but ARM cores are ARM cores so in like-for-like testing, the chip built on the best manufacturing process ought to clock higher, for longer and win. In every tested case, that victory does indeed go to TSMC's 7nm Snapdragon 865 chips, even when the test is between two otherwise identical Samsung S20 Ultra phones and running the same Samsung OS.

Tom from MLID is a pretty solid source. Here's a specific example that includes a lot of educated guesswork and industry-sourced info that builds a picture of Samsung's 8nm:

This video is a month old and some of the info from it (such as the 21Gb/s GDDR6, for example) was only confirmed by the rest of the press in this last week.

Last edited: