• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Stock Plunges Due to Forecast of Slowing Cryptocurrency, Console Markets

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I'll believe the end of the console market when I actually see it. This thing has been said before, but it doesn't seem to die.

But we are definitely closer to PC/Console convergence than we ever were. So ultimately it's not gonna be bad for the GPU market. It just means PC gaming become king (yay!).. it's not like anyone will stop buying games in general.

SARVAMANGALAM

it will be flood the cards in the market for sale. it's slowly starting. where I am a hundred cards for sale. but when comes time unprofitability on mining(like now is it just few buck per week ) . I'll be a few thousand graphic cards in every country. ... i think according wall street ass crack is near. i dont talk about BT.only graphic cards based cryptos :) . bt is other story but can take down all cryptos
so I think , wall street knows something about the bubble cryptovaluts will crack LOUD as hell. also saudi king say it will by big enron )) most investment to cryptos is from S.korea and japan., canada...countries without big gold reserve)) or false gold bars)))
it will crack -- becouse who will buy cassino chip for 6333usd and wait for 10K :laugh::laugh: most of people in west have no saved that much in bank .just debt debt
also second nature "thing" for keep cryptos alive is online world drugs markets. and that was punnished hard with life doom to :( silk road creator.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I pray (prey) that Ryzen 2 will be at least 50% faster than the first Ryzen, but this is just utopia.
But imagine for a sec that it would be.... Compared to that shitty 5-10% performance increase of Intel's. ;)

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Everyone knows cryptomining eventually becomes unprofitable, as the difficulty rises and competition for mining increases, it just becomes a question of timing before the increase in value can't keep up. This is why we have seen many cryptomining bubbles in the past, and will continue to see more in the years to come. It's important to know that GPU sales related to chryptomining are still marginal.

So mine another coin. I also would say their sales are more than marginal.

Last edited:
I'll believe the end of the console market when I actually see it. This thing has been said before, but it doesn't seem to die.

But we are definitely closer to PC/Console convergence than we ever were. So ultimately it's not gonna be bad for the GPU market. It just means PC gaming become king (yay!).. it's not like anyone will stop buying games in general.

They've been calling PC market dead. And yet it's here more alive than ever. Because they just calculate it from pre-built systems by large makers. What I think is that these days more and more people build the PC's themselves. Or by friends. I mean, other than laptops, I don't know anyone who would buy a pre-build system. They all build them themselves or by friends who know what to pick and how to build. And the number of such people is increasing.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
They've been calling PC market dead. And yet it's here more alive than ever. Because they just calculate it from pre-built systems by large makers. What I think is that these days more and more people build the PC's themselves. Or by friends. I mean, other than laptops, I don't know anyone who would buy a pre-build system. They all build them themselves or by friends who know what to pick and how to build. And the number of such people is increasing.

Maybe. I think newcomers to PCs.. especially gamers who are newcomers.. might go for the some of the gaming centric systems out there (Alienware.. and more customizable ones like Maingear). I really don't know though.

But yeah, if it was all that bad, all of these parts companies (Kingston, Corsair, etc) wouldn't be thriving.

I mean, my first system 19 years ago was pre-built. After 3 years of owning it, I decided to buy a new one and build it myself. Have been doing so ever since. I've also assembled several systems for friends and family since then. And that was back in the day when internet was a luxury. Today you can get prices and instructions online anywhere. Not building it yourself just means you're either ignorant or loaded. I guess exception are desktops like AiO's and basic systems with integrated gfx meant for basic tasks. I don't think you can really go wrong with those. Then again, one could build a custom one for similar price with overclocking ability which would extend its life dramatically.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I mean, my first system 19 years ago was pre-built. After 3 years of owning it, I decided to buy a new one and build it myself. Have been doing so ever since. I've also assembled several systems for friends and family since then. And that was back in the day when internet was a luxury. Today you can get prices and instructions online anywhere. Not building it yourself just means you're either ignorant or loaded. I guess exception are desktops like AiO's and basic systems with integrated gfx meant for basic tasks. I don't think you can really go wrong with those. Then again, one could build a custom one for similar price with overclocking ability which would extend its life dramatically.

I kind of left all of this around 2003 and went back to laptops for awhile (and consoles!). It is sort of daunting at first (I got back into PC gaming at the beginning of this year). I had a neighbor to refresh things. It's probably even more daunting for someone brand new. If they don't have a guiding hand, I doubt they're going to dive into it. Even though assembly is easier than it's ever been.

I realized not long ago I need to return to my budget roots of owning a cheap but powerful system. The kind where you invest minimal into it and then squeeze every drop of performance from it. Because right now, I just dump top money into it and be done with it basically. It's cool, but not as fun. I remember the day when I bought Core 2 Duo E5200 for like 75€ which was the bottom most CPU from this series back then. And overclocked it to 3.8 GHz. A dual core with such clock back then made it an incredibly strong performer all around. For almost nothing. I miss that even though it was fun pushing my current hexa core to what it is now. But it was still a 400€ CPU... It's just not the same thrill if I can to call it that way. Next build might go this way...

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I realized not long ago I need to return to my budget roots of owning a cheap but powerful system. The kind where you invest minimal into it and then squeeze every drop of performance from it. Because right now, I just dump top money into it and be done with it basically. It's cool, but not as fun. I remember the day when I bought Core 2 Duo E5200 for like 75€ which was the bottom most CPU from this series back then. And overclocked it to 3.8 GHz. A dual core with such clock back then made it an incredibly strong performer all around. For almost nothing. I miss that even though it was fun pushing my current hexa core to what it is now. But it was still a 400€ CPU... It's just not the same thrill if I can to call it that way. Next build might go this way...

I've kind of splurged for this new machine (not in all ways but some). I kind of regret it now. I'll shop smarter next time.

Gamers buy one to two cards every 2+ years. Miners buy 1-2 thousand cards every what year? That's a huge difference. If anything this is great you are seeing faster and faster cards pumped out.

I think you are just mad at something you don't understand

Thing is, there are probably a lot more gamers than miners. I can't be sure though.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Because gamers apparently don't exist anymore. Just because cryptocurrency is pissing away (thank god), that doesn't mean people will just stop buying graphic cards. Gamers were waiting for this to happen for ages.
Yes it does... actually. Its what the article is saying, no? If sales of gpus were going to be the same, this wouldnt exist. Then well have a surplus of jsed cards in the market slicing out sales of new..

Someone said this is the end of consoles??

Yes but the problem is for every gamer there's a mining farm which can house anywhere between 10 to 10k cards, so it's not really 1:1 comparison.
I worded my post poorly. I should have said a lot more gamers than cards mining . I'm not arguing, I actually am curious how the numbers shake out .

Mining in the end will become more harder and harder, there is alot of genuine money now into the BC system. There will be a point that mining becomes actually obsolete. That is what the stock-trader advises / warns about. They are not talking of the actual worth of BC / Cryptomining in general.

But these companies have hardly any idea what their damage can be by sending out such a report and at what cost shares are being de-valued.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I worded my post poorly. I should have said a lot more gamers than cards mining . I'm not arguing, I actually am curious how the numbers shake out .

Sales of add-in cards of AMD and Nvidia hardware were 520,000 units higher in the second quarter compared with the first quarter, according to JPR. Traditionally, we would expect the standard seasonal drop of 10,000-20,000 units. This indicates that upwards of 500,000 total units of high-end graphics were sold into the channel and, indeed, for mining-specific uses. About one in three graphics cards sold at retail, to OEMs or businesses was used for cryptocurrency mining.

Half a million extra cards sold would say that there is more people using cards for mining than gaming.

marketwatch

Certainly. Until Volta rolls around we won't know if they'll have similar gains though.

High end Volta exists just not in a market we can buy.

Half a million extra cards sold would say that there is more people using cards for mining than gaming.

marketwatch

High end Volta exists just not in a market we can buy.
You mean more cards mining than being used for gamers not more miners than gamers.

The exact number I'd like to know is how many cards are being used for gaming and how many for mining. I'm not sure if the number is out there. In your article it says a 3:1 ratio somewhere. I wasn't too focused while reading because I was on the phone/am on the phone.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You mean more cards mining than being used for gamers not more miners than gamers.

The exact number I'd like to know is how many cards are being used for gaming and how many for mining. I'm not sure if the number is out there. In your article it says a 3:1 ratio somewhere. I wasn't too focused while reading because I was on the phone/am on the phone.

520,000 cards sold in a single quarter didn't go to one user.

I read that but that's not the whole picture, that's just a single quarter, the amount of cards mining may be insanely greater than the amount of cards gaming.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I read that but that's not the whole picture, that's just a single quarter, the amount of cards mining may be insanely greater than the amount of cards gaming.

It is that isn't really a question.