• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Begin Sampling 7nm "Zen 2" Processors Within 2018 for a 2019 Launch

5775c had 128MB of eDRAM which gave it significant boost in some applications. No other CPU from Intel is using eDRAM, not even top of the line ones. I was hoping for Skylake to have eDRAM by default, but it didn't. Which sucked.
I'm well aware of this processor architecture. Would love to see it outperforming i7 8700K though ;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
This one really needs to be more than just a 5-7% IPC improvement.

D

Deleted member 157276

This one really needs to be more than just a 5-7% IPC improvement.

It really doesn't. The 7nm process will allow quite some frequency improvement. Both more cores at higher frequency, and turbo boosts close to 5 GHz. We can expect 10%+ improvement in frequency as well. Then there's the probability of AMD adding even more cores to their top tier CPUs. So all in all we'rw talking 15% better performance or more as well as possibly more cores.

Ins't that what the 2800X is going to do? I don't think AMD even needs to wait for next gen ryzen for that goal. .

No, it isn't. We don't even know if the 2800X even exists. And if it does, you're naive to think it will be magically better than the current 2700X. If anything, it'll do 4.4 GHz with stable voltages at best.

I almost spat coffee all over my keyboard, so thanks for that! :laugh:

As a first-gen Ryzen owner, I'll be skipping the current Ryzen 2XXX series, but I'll be all over this upcoming Zen 2 bunch. I expect around 5-10% IPC gain over Ryzen 2XXX, all-core boost clocks at 4.2-4.3GHz and boost clocks at 5GHz.

It seems AMD needs another breakthrough to truly break that glass ceiling on IPC. Mind you, they're not that far behind Intel and 7nm should help close the gap even further but I'm talking about at least a parity match and better.

That's not entirely true. AMD is only around 4-5% behind Intel in IPC with Ryzen 2. They only need 5% IPC improvement to reach parity/slightly surpass them. I am however pretty sure that AMD will aim to surpass Intel in IPC, as Intel will already have 8 cores Coffee Lake CPUs with high frequency ready this autumn; AMD has to be as good or better in clockspeed, as well as providing better IPC, in order to provide a CPU that's competitive with Intel's 8 core Coffee Lake. A goal that's entirely realistic for AMD to achieve.

Intel's superiority, however, is stiill in better cache latency, which means better game performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
It really doesn't. The 7nm process will allow quite some frequency improvement. Both more cores at higher frequency, and turbo boosts close to 5 GHz. We can expect 10%+ improvement in frequency as well. Then there's the probability of AMD adding even more cores to their top tier CPUs. So all in all we'rw talking 15% better performance or more as well as possibly more cores.

It's probably very safe to say that the GF 7nm process will be nowhere as good as Intel's 10nm, and I will put my life on the fact that we will not be seeing an 8+core Ryzen2 running air cooled at 5GHz anytime soon. For the next few years IPC is king for AMD, as Intel will match them on core count soon, and probably still better them on clock speeds. So AMD does need to aim and reach higher than the current Intel architecture, and settling for minor increments that result in deliberately staying below the IPC of what the current Intel architecture is producing is not what a company that very nearly went bankrupt a couple of years ago should be doing. This will only lead to a repeat of what AMD were doing when Intel released the Core2 architecture, which nearly destroyed AMD, and has taken them 10 years to counter. If they "settle" again, then AMD will not survive another 10 years of being significantly behind Intel. This time round, AMD no longer have a strong GPU division to back their financials up and provide turnover, unlike before as once again, after miss managing, they have lost to nVidia, and show no signs of being competent or able enough to do anything about it, AMD cannot afford to repeat past mistakes, it will end them.

That's not entirely true. AMD is only around 4-5% behind Intel in IPC with Ryzen 2. They only need 5% IPC improvement to reach parity/slightly surpass them. I am however pretty sure that AMD will aim to surpass Intel in IPC, as Intel will already have 8 cores Coffee Lake CPUs with high frequency ready this autumn; AMD has to be as good or better in clockspeed, as well as providing better IPC, in order to provide a CPU that's competitive with Intel's 8 core Coffee Lake. A goal that's entirely realistic for AMD to achieve.

This is critical for AMD, and just think about not taking into account Intel's next architecture! Intel are starting to wake up to AMD and the threat they once again pose. However they could crush AMD easily, and only by AMD aggressively pushing their architecture forward will AMD win over Intel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 157276

It's probably very safe to say that the GF 7nm process is not as good as Intel's 10nm, and I will put my life on the fact that we will not be seeing an 8+core Ryzen2 running air cooled at 5GHz anytime soon. For the next few years IPC is king for AMD, as Intel will match them on core count soon, and probably still better them on clock speeds.

GloFos' 7nm, from the specifications I have read, is in fact about as good as Intel's 10nm. That being said, Intel is said to start with 10nm+ , which is most likely better (but still much closer to GloFo's 7nm than what Intel's 14nm+ was to GloFo's 14nm, when Ryzen launched in 2017). Whether GloFo's 7nm is as good as Intel's 10nm is irrelevant; you need to compare it GloFo's 12nm or 14nm process, which the last two Ryzen processors were one. Do you honestly believe their 7nm will provide less than 10% possible frequency increase over their 12nm process?

The upcoming 7LP 7nm FinFET process will, according to GloFo, provide the possibility to achieve around 30% performance improvement over 14nm, or 20-30% over the current 12nm process of the Ryzen 2 (which I believe was a quick and dirty transition from AMD, as they have the majority of their focus on Ryzen 3 / Zen 2). Traditionally, the actual clock speed improvements are half of those stated to be possible (because of various factors, like architecture limits), so my I guess is at least a 10% frequency improvement here -- around 4.8 GHz turbo on some cores, and all cores at somewhere around 4.3 GHz is very, very plausible.

For the next few years IPC is king for AMD, as Intel will match them on core count soon, and probably still better them on clock speeds. So AMD does need to aim and reach higher than the current Intel architecture, a

This is true, and AMD will already at least match Intel in IPC with Ryzen 3 next year; that fact is pretty sure. But it's certainly not the 15% IPC you claim....

How much more improvement they will do in IPC further down the road remains to be seen, although I doubt it'll be as good as Zen 2. There's supposedly going to be two major revisions to the architecture, with Zen 2 next year being the first one. The second one is Zen 5 (Zen 4 name is being skipped) in 2021. AMD are said to have a whole new architecture ready after that as well, from what I've heard.

In the question of clock speed, I think AMD have a greater base from which to start from than Intel. Frequency increases have their limits, and Intel can increase the frequency only so much, before they need to stop. AMD, on the other hand, still have pretty conservative clockspeeds in comparison, and have greater potential of performance increases as we move along. A potential AMD needs to take advantage of: single-digit IPC superiority is not enough to make up for their clock speed deficit, if they want to perform better than Intel Core.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Unfortunately I can't find the pic anymore, but there was a comparison between all 3 process nodes, Intel 10nm and 7nm from GloFo and TSMC, and Intel's was inferior in every aspect they showed.
I think the major point of comparison was SRAM cell area or smth like that.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Unfortunately I can't find the pic anymore, but there was a comparison between all 3 process nodes, Intel 10nm and 7nm from GloFo and TSMC, and Intel's was inferior in every aspect they showed.

Actually Intel 10 nm is almost same as Amd (GF) 7 nm....

but sound better 7 than 10 no?

View attachment 100487

Intel doesn't look bad to me... Slightly (in amounts that make almost no difference) worse in areas that don't really matter, and better in some others... Intel just need to fix the process first.

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
as the 5775c has better gaming performance than the 7700K and 8700K.
7700K - yes, in most cases 5775c manages to outperform it by a whisker. When comparing oc vs oc it actually manages to squeeze a couple percent more than overclocking does to 7700K. 5775c only hits 4.3GHz in most cases, but that's 20% over stock 3600MHz. 7700K oc'd by 20% has to hit 5000MHz. Plus you can oc edram on 5775c, that's ~3% gained.Not much, but it all adds up,.

But compared to 8700K - no way 5775c even matches it.

D

Deleted member 157276

The comparison showed a very, very slight inferiority. Either way, Intel will start with 10nm+, as their 10nm is reported to provide performance deficit (that is, lower clock speeds) over their current 14nm++, and even upcoming 14nm+++. I'd be surprised if it wasn't better than GloFo's 7LP 7nm.

There's also still doubts about GloFo being able to provide 7nm early enough for AMD -- unless of course AMD are planning to release Zen 2 in the summer of 2019, or maybe even later.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This is the one we've been waiting for. Ryzen 1 was just a prelude.

Eh, you can literally say this for every generation to the next. Zen1 did well and I'm sure Zen+ will do well.

Waiting for Zen2 is quite a ways out. If someone needs a new build now, they should just build now.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
AMD doesn't want to pull ahead of Intel, that would cost them their underdog status. I can't imagine Intel letting that happen anyway. By the time AMD reaches 5GHz boost, Intel will be at 5.5 or more. So it's better for them to keep in position, right behind.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Eh, you can literally say this for every generation to the next. Zen1 did well and I'm sure Zen+ will do well.

Waiting for Zen2 is quite a ways out. If someone needs a new build now, they should just build now.

Im waiting on TR 2 3950.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It sounds like you have a heavy focus on workstation tasks and gaming performance comes second.

I just build them to last a very long time. I was on an Athlon XP before my FX, my FX has a new home to replace a Friends P4 rig.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I just build them to last a very long time. I was on an Athlon XP before my FX, my FX has a new home to replace a Friends P4 rig.

Nice. Then that makes two of us getting ready to upgrade. I am going to re-purpose my FX rig for my wife's telecommute/youtube needs. I'm gonna pull the trigger with Zen+. With AMD sticking to AM4 for quite a while, I can always throw in a Zen2 if I become tempted beyond self-control :D

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Nice. Then that makes two of us getting ready to upgrade. I am going to re-purpose my FX rig for my wife's telecommute/youtube needs. I'm gonna pull the trigger with Zen+. With AMD sticking to AM4 for quite a while, I can always throw in a Zen2 if I become tempted beyond self-control :D

Im not upgrading till next year though lol.

Fot me to know this chip hits 5.0 air tells me it has plenty of life left, it will be put back to 4.2GHz till 5.0 is truly needed lol

Reactions: Fx
This is starting to become very fun to watch - AMD is getting so damn aggressive about new product launches, and Ryzen 3 could bring a similar level of performance uplift to what Ryzen 1 brought.

If 7nm Ryzen comes out before Intel gets (real) 10nm/8-core products out... They will curbstomp Intel harder than possibly even SandyBridge crushed AMD.

Just give us overclocks in the 4.5-5Ghz range and you'll pull sales away from Intel quicker than Donald Trump burns through brain cells.
I don't think you have to worry about losing any brain cells because you don't seem to have any with comparisons like that.

Anyway, unnecessary political comments aside, AMD is showing it to Intel in a big way. I'm really loving me some competition, finally.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
presents the company with opportunities to improve several silicon-level specifications, such as the number of cores per CCX, the IPC of each core, the core-count of the die, the cache hierarchy, and the overall energy-efficiency
Could we be seeing 10 to 12 cores with Ryzen 2!?

Could we be seeing 10 to 12 cores with Ryzen 2!?

It is quite possible we could have 12 or 16 (I would guess 12 is more likely).

Actually one of the latest rumors is that AMD will separate the controllers, I/O, and core's onto their own separate dies; and then they will also make 3 and 4 core CCX's. The idea is that they will then have a 12nm I/O in the center, and then add 7nm 3 or 4-core CCX's as they wish around the other parts of the CPU.

TLDR - AMD is likely to have more than 8 cores with Ryzen 3, and they will likely make it even cheaper to produce than before by splitting up the CPU's into smaller components.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
While I wouldn't be opposed to that, I hope that they focus on IPC above all.

Consider a 7nm die is around half as big as a 14nm die. Thus they could double the cores and still "focus on IPC."

The most prevalent rumor is that the top desktop Ryzen 3 will have 12-cores... and that would mean they did mostly focus on IPC. ;)

D

Deleted member 157276

This is starting to become very fun to watch - AMD is getting so damn aggressive about new product launches, and Ryzen 3 could bring a similar level of performance uplift to what Ryzen 1 brought.

If 7nm Ryzen comes out before Intel gets (real) 10nm/8-core products out... They will curbstomp Intel harder than possibly even SandyBridge crushed AMD.

Here we go again with this nonsense....You truly believe Ryzen 3 will bring as big of an upgrade as Ryzen from Excvator (55% performance uplift)? What planet do you come from? Your claims bear no realistic probability; it's not even close! You are claiming an improvement on an already existing architecture is supposed to bring larger performance improvements than Ryzen did from a 6-year-old architecture (which was already inferior for its time).

You claim that Ryzen will be "so far in front of any Intel offering it will be a painful mirroring of the xxxdozer vs Core days". Even very conservatively, we're talking about another 30%+ increase in IPC here, if it's gonna surpass Core in any way to actually make up your description. Meaning AMD will increase IPC by 30-40% and clock speed by 15% (again, both numbers are conservative).

So this slide by AMD

Is, clearly bollocks, huh? It's pretty evident that you, Captain_Tom, know better than AMD themselves, and AMD's graph showing around 15% overall performance uplift by Zen 2 is massive standing. Instead, the increase will be, as you said, like this:

Yeah...no.

It's people like you who are responsible for creating these exaggerated and stupendous hypes about AMD products, that always end up completely failing.

^^^ Even 22nm has raised enough problems for TSMC they had to eventually scrape the whole node and go from 28 to 14nm.
The bad news is, while silicon is hitting its limits and we come up against challenges we foresaw, we still have nothing to turn to once silicon is no longer viable.
There may be nothing in production at this time, but I would argue that the future is, potentially, very bright for electronics. There are a number of exciting research projects in the works of which a sampling is here. I even read somewhere that a research team managed to construct a transistor made of three atoms; unfortunately, I cannot find the reference ATM.

It is quite possible we could have 12 or 16 (I would guess 12 is more likely).

Actually one of the latest rumors is that AMD will separate the controllers, I/O, and core's onto their own separate dies; and then they will also make 3 and 4 core CCX's. The idea is that they will then have a 12nm I/O in the center, and then add 7nm 3 or 4-core CCX's as they wish around the other parts of the CPU.

TLDR - AMD is likely to have more than 8 cores with Ryzen 3, and they will likely make it even cheaper to produce than before by splitting up the CPU's into smaller components.
One of the things that AMD beat Intel at years ago was putting memory controllers on die. It would be interesting to see AMD go the separate route, again, and how that would affect overall system performance.