• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Include AIO Liquid Coolers with Ryzen Threadripper Processors

Luciano Furmanski

Look I have a fx 9370 220w tdp over 4.7 turbo core 4.8, and the zalman cnps 12 x gave pro spent, won the antec 950 it had, in fullstress it reaches 77 degrees!
LOL, then buy an air cooler. I don't know what air cooler has a 180W cooling capacity.

Processor Pentium II 400 @ 516MHz
Motherboard AOpen AX6BC EZ
Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Video Card(s) 2x Voodoo 12MB in SLI, S3 Trio64V+
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster 16
Software Windows 98 SE
That move is clearly made to troll i9 temps and cooling problems imho, adding even more value to the TR CPUs and more coffins to i9's devaluation coffin.

Then you don't want to see TR's temperatures xD

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
That move is clearly made to troll i9 temps and cooling problems imho, adding even more value to the TR CPUs and more coffins to i9's devaluation coffin.

More nails right? Otherwise the grave is going to get very full, very quickly! Or need to be much, much deeper. ;)

I wonder how AMD's four-glued-together-quads CPU will stack up against Intel's 10-core CPU in some real tests. I don't expect Threadripper to do well in games or memory intensive applications. It's got too much internal latency. In fact, I don't think 99.5% of consumers are interested in buying these Desktop chips. Will they make any money off of these?

With how big that socket and IHS are I wouldn't be surprised that AMD wanted to include a heatsink that works properly from the get go. But they should also sell TR without the cooler as well.

System Name Coffee Lake S
Processor i9-9900K
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H115i Platinum RGB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3466 C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD
Display(s) Dell P2715Q 27" 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply Seasonic 860 watt Platinum
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
FrustratedGarrett said:
I wonder how AMD's four-glued-together-quads CPU will stack up against Intel's 10-core CPU in some real tests. I don't expect Threadripper to do well in games or memory intensive applications. It's got too much internal latency. In fact, I don't think 99.5% of consumers are interested in buying these Desktop chips. Will they make any money off of these?

The four dies on a single package are EPYC only and designated for server tasks. The resulting chip has up to 32 cores (64 threads). Anandtech did a review and found them to be very competitive vs. Intel's new precious metal Xeons.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11636/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1920x-1950x-16-cores-4g-turbo-799-999-usd

It's a good read with information regarding memory intensive applications.

Threadripper is just two dies on a single package (16 cores/32 threads). There will be some latency when a task requires cross-communication between the two dies for data needs over 16 MB of L3 cache. If the tasks does not need over 16 MB, the latency within a die is competitive to Intel.

Edit: As for making money, AMD designed a single die to stretch across server, workstation and desktop. You add dies based on the application. It is much cheaper to have multiple, small, low power dies on a single package than a single monolithic chip. AMD can sell these cheap and make good margins. Intel's 28 core monolithic die is a huge engineering feat and ultimately the better solution for some tasks. In short, yes AMD will make money on these chips.

D

Deleted member 172152

What's next for AMD? Ataribox threadripper edition? If this rumoir turns out to be true, AMD continues its streak of genius madness!

The four dies on a single package are EPYC only and designated for server tasks. The resulting chip has up to 32 cores (64 threads). Anandtech did a review and found them to be very competitive vs. Intel's new precious metal Xeons.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11636/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1920x-1950x-16-cores-4g-turbo-799-999-usd

It's a good read with information regarding memory intensive applications.

Threadripper is just two dies on a single package (16 cores/32 threads). There will be some latency when a task requires cross-communication between the two dies for data needs over 16 MB of L3 cache. If the tasks does not need over 16 MB, the latency within a die is competitive to Intel.

Edit: As for making money, AMD designed a single die to stretch across server, workstation and desktop. You add dies based on the application. It is much cheaper to have multiple, small, low power dies on a single package than a single monolithic chip. AMD can sell these cheap and make good margins. Intel's 28 core monolithic die is a huge engineering feat and ultimately the better solution for some tasks. In short, yes AMD will make money on these chips.

By four-glued-together quads I meant the four interconnected CCXes that make up a Thread Ripper.

They won't make much money off of these chips, that much I can tell you. Their current 8/6/4 core chips aren't good enough for gaming and the 7700K/7600K are still the better options for those who are looking to buy good gaming CPUs that clock well.

Last edited:
System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
They will need it since these are nuclear reactors. Forget about overclocking them plus AMD products suck at overclocking.

By four-glued-together quads I meant the four interconnect CCXes using their Infinity Fabric new ring bus that make up a Thread Ripper.

They won't make much money off of these chips, that much I can tell you. Their current 8/6/4 core chips aren't good enough for gaming and the 7700K/7600K are still the better options for those who are looking to buy good gaming CPUs that clock well.

As far as I can tell from your post, the interconnect you are talking about is the Infinity Fabric that connects two quad core CCXs together to form an 8 core chip. All this is done on one die as you can see in the picture below.

This picture came from Arstechnica.

https://arstechnica.com/information...ves-march-2-8-cores-16-threads-from-just-329/

In this article they state the following in the picture caption:

"AMD's Ryzen die. Threadripper has two of these in a multi-chip module. Epyc has four of them."

The four 'glued' together quads you (and Intel) are talking about is the four dies in the EPYC chip pictured below:

Again, I (and Arstechnica) assume Threadripper will just be two of these dies not quad dies. It doesn't make sense to have four dies with two of the dies disabled. Why add a completely disabled die when you are just fabbing individual dies? You can add 1 (Ryzen), 2 (Threadripper) or 4 (EPYC) dies. That's the point of AMD's strategy.

Also I assume that you got the four 'glued' quads from Intel's marketing presentation.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235092/...cessors-glued-together-in-official-slide-deck

This marketing presentation was in response to EPYC not Threadripper.

By four-glued-together quads I meant the four interconnected CCXes that make up a Thread Ripper.

Better for who? 99% of non (die hard) gamers will see the amazing vfm the 1700 is, it's also cool & quiet even with a stock heatsink, unlike the 7700k or its i5 sibling.

And please stop with something as nonsensical as not good enough, that's a blatant lie, even after discounting the fact that a GPU (especially for high resolutions) is way more important than the CPU for gaming.

So, you're gonna send me some CPUs to play with and review here on TPU, right? :p

Lol! Are you phishing to see if I work for Intel or AMD? I wish I could send you all the hardware that interests me for review. I was the one who emailed awhile back for a Radeon 560 review. Maybe you guys can start a new crowd-source funding experiment to see if you can get your readers to fund individual reviews based on what they want to see. I think that would be better than waiting for freebies from stingy manufacturers. :)

You sir have been misled by reviewers. Ofcourse Ryzen is not good enough - for 1080p gaming with low settings in order to show bigger gaps between different processors in testing. Couple that with low RAM speeds at launch and you get the perfect mistake. In real world the GPU is the limiting factor more often than not. RAM speeds have also improved and for those who are willing to do some tweaking then matching a 7700K is not a problem (11-20fps gain @ 1080p): https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Look I have a fx 9370 220w tdp over 4.7 turbo core 4.8, and the zalman cnps 12 x gave pro spent, won the antec 950 it had, in fullstress it reaches 77 degrees!
Going to need proof here.

Also, spellcheck man.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

What a load of crock.

The 290x, which was a much bigger piece of silicon with much lower yields, made money at $550. Thread-ripper at 1K is going to rake in money.

Also "not good enough for gaming" in what fairy world do you live in? Ryzen has shown time and time again to be withing 10% of a equivalent kaby lake in gaming tasks. Where are all these games that cant run properly on ryzen?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

perlsite

This platform is not for internet browsing, obviously. So all of those not interested in buying will skip it eventually.

However those professionally interested, like video editors will benefit, not only from the performance, but also of the reduced price (unless motherboard is in $1000+ range). Video encoding and compression will benefit of more cores, especially for the 4K content that is all over the place. 4K processing is amazingly slow process and I see myself easily going with 16 core option.

For gaming, obviously, you won't benefit from Threadripper and you better stay with 1700X or 1800X.

If you think wisely, AMD will give you the same performance that Intel offers you at half price. How could you resist?

Sure, I hope those prices are just MSRP and the real, street prices will be $100 lower.

This platform is not for internet browsing, obviously. So all of those not interested in buying will skip it eventually.

However those professionally interested, like video editors will benefit, not only from the performance, but also of the reduced price (unless motherboard is in $1000+ range). Video encoding and compression will benefit of more cores, especially for the 4K content that is all over the place. 4K processing is amazingly slow process and I see myself easily going with 16 core option.

For gaming, obviously, you won't benefit from Threadripper and you better stay with 1700X or 1800X.

If you think wisely, AMD will give you the same performance that Intel offers you at half price. How could you resist?

Sure, I hope those prices are just MSRP and the real, street prices will be $100 lower.

Might be higher considering the lack of competition coming from Intel right now...

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Might be higher considering the lack of competition coming from Intel right now...
Keep dreaming. Ryzen CPUs are already being discounted on all major online stores, up to 25% off MSRP, which seems a bit early and deep, unless sales are tanking. Intel's sales are strong, with most X299 CPUs selling out quickly on Newegg every time a new batch arrives. This is a good time to build an Intel system, with decent price drops to counter the slight pressure from Ryzen. AMD may increase their market share, but may never be on top, which is what we need to really make Intel nervous...

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Perhaps they are lowering the prices to make room for TR SKUs?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Keep dreaming. Ryzen CPUs are already being discounted on all major online stores, up to 25% off MSRP, which seems a bit early and deep, unless sales are tanking. Intel's sales are strong, with most X299 CPUs selling out quickly on Newegg every time a new batch arrives. This is a good time to build an Intel system, with decent price drops to counter the slight pressure from Ryzen. AMD may increase their market share, but may never be on top, which is what we need to really make Intel nervous...
Yes. Sales are defenetly tanking by Amazon numbers (NOT): https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...cessors/zgbs/electronics/229189&tag=tec06d-20
6 of top 20 are Ryzen and #2 and #3 are Ryzens. Where as the first X299 CPU is at #41 (7740X) wich is not even a high end part in my mind.
I would not put much stock on X299 CPU-s selling out fast as indicative of massive demand for them. These are high end, low volume parts. Plus coupled with the fact that they are newly launched almost guarantees that all batches will be sold out.

AMD has quietly decreased Ryzen prices. Especially 1800X and 1700X prices. Because they can afford it. Ryzen yields are reportedly extremely good and it's cheap to manufacture compared to one big monolithic die wich is why i took them so long to collect enough defective dies to do a proper Ryzen 3 launch.