• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Vega" Outsells "Previous Generation" by Over 10 Times

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
AMD CEO: "Thank you Cryptocoins, you saved our hide!"
Both Vega56 and Vega64 are good (56 is great) at MSRP and below.

Why would I want to do that? I mean the sheer number of Polaris (and Vega) equipped laptops would be enough to prove me wrong. Right?

Wrong.

But I thought Vega was a complete failure? /s

Yeah Vega competes with Volta in compute with HALF the die size, and its mobile/APU chips are more efficient than Pascal. Vega is a fantastic architecture.

Mining really boomed for them.

At the same time if Fiji had 8GB of VRAM they will also make great mining cards.

I am hoping David Wang can finally get something amazing done to pull the plug on GCN.

You are incorrect. Fiji is fantastic at mining, and in fact it is better than Polaris depending on what you are mining.

Furthermore it's not "just mining" that is helping Vega's sales. Rendering farms and scientific research firms are buying them up in droves, and it is incredibly efficient in laptops.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Jack of most trades, master of few.....

Jack of most trades, master of few.....

I would like to play devils advocate here: What is Volta or Maxwell a "master of"?

-Maxwell can do gaming best (As long as the game doesn't use all of Vega's features)
-Volta does AI best

That's it lol. So if Vega is a master of "few", it's better than any other architecture as far as I can tell. All of the others pretty much only do one thing well.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I would like to play devils advocate here: What is Volta or Maxwell a "master of"?

-Maxwell can do gaming best (As long as the game doesn't use all of Vega's features)
-Volta does AI best

That's it lol. So if Vega is a master of "few", it's better than any other architecture as far as I can tell. All of the others pretty much only do one thing well.

Not sure what you're smoking, but...

- Versatility. The performance is quite a bit higher in each respective segment (AI/machine learning/gaming/prof. apps) In fact a Pascal Geforce card already gets similar or better perf in most of the workloads its NOT optimized for versus a Vega alternative. When we get into the Quadro world... its not even a competition
- Perf/watt. The higher performance level is attained within a much tighter TDP budget.
- A much wider boost range. This is why Nvidia cards get put into laptops a lot more. Its 2018 and AMD still has a completely silly GPU boost that is more than a generation behind reality. Vega is the perfect example of it; it boosts itself out of the comfortable temp range and underclocking/volting gets better results. But even then, the boost range remains limited and its one of the reasons the perf/watt stays behind. Its also the reason you don't see Polaris in throttling laptops - performance would nosedive.

Vega only competes in one area and that is price. Price does not make it (GCN) a good architecture. Nor does it finally make AMD turn a good profit on their GPU division - something that has never happened... ever.

You also seem to forget that all of these Nvidia 'architectures' are not some unicorns that all live in separate worlds, they're all branches of the same underlying tech/arch. Nvidia diversifies without losing the edge in any segment, with new systems or tweaks. Tensor cores, NVlink, perhaps a small subsystem for RTX when it gets there... Not with entire new 'architectures'. So yes, the jack of all trades master of none does apply to GCN and does not apply to whichever Nvidia 'arch' you pick. I mean its not even a discussion or a contest anymore. Its a different way of building GPUs and its evident which of the two is more effective.

Last edited:
System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....

-Volta does AI best

It was sort of meant as a compliment to Vega. I didn't say anything about nVidia.
I could have been a real dumb ass and said "Jack of ALL trades, master of NONE" like the saying actually goes. But Vega does seem to be the master of a SMALL portion of games and computing--therefore I said master of "few." However, it's performance per watt and overall performance are generally abominable--unless you like playing the bitcoin game. But then the MSRP is not bad on the Vega series.
Vega 56 will probably be my next card, if I can nab one up for less than $450 in the near future--I've got a kilowatt to burn. Otherwise, it's 1070ti.

Multi billion dolar companies would disagree with that. But it's your choice to believe it's all about good timing.
Great sales numbers are always about good timing. Try selling a mass supply of 1995 Dodge Neons right now. Silly example but your post was silly.

Just imagine if mining never happened , do you really believe the numbers would be the same? That's my point, I'm sure you get it now .

The best thing Vega 64 has going for it is Freesync, other than that I personally feel it's not good. Even if I was gifted one I wouldn't use one in my machines. I'd give it away or sell it.

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Great sales numbers are always about good timing. Try selling a mass supply of 1995 Dodge Neons right now. Silly example but your post was silly.

Just imagine if mining never happened , do you really believe the numbers would be the same? That's my point, I'm sure you get it now .

The best thing Vega 64 has going for it is Freesync, other than that I personally feel it's not good. Even if I was gifted one I wouldn't use one in my machines. I'd give it away or sell it.
you're crazy, i don't like nvidia but if I was gifted a card...i'm using it.

System Name Meshify C Ryzen 2019
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism LED Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4 ( F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW, 16-16-16-36 @ 3200Mhz )
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX6800 ( 2400Mhz/2150Mhz )
Storage Samsung Evo 960
Display(s) Pixio PX275h
Case Fractal Design Meshify C – Dark TG
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 300 ( Headset )
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series 650W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G 15
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I'm happy with my Vega 56 :)

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
you're crazy, i don't like nvidia but if I was gifted a card...i'm using it.

Yeah, it's not something I want at all. If I want something I just buy it. If I can't afford something I'll wait until I can. I make enough money to buy stuff I want but I do wait from time to time.

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah, it's not something I want at all. If I want something I just buy it. If I can't afford something I'll wait until I can. I make enough money to buy stuff I want but I do wait from time to time.
Same here, funny thing is I read your comment and thought I wrote it lol. That's my sentiments exactly, and right now I'm happy withmy 2 vega 64s.