• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any way to edit Throttling Limit?

tobythecat

I have an old notebook,

32GB RAM
Intel i5-7300HQ
GTX 1050

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is entirely my problem, but I believe that my CPU downclocks itself (to around 1.4 GhZ from 3.0) when it reaches around 70-75C, and I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the throttle limit since it barely touches this limit and doesn't go over the limit, and its very annoying that I cannot play games without the FPS randomly dropping to 25 because my CPU downclocks itself since its literally only breaching the throttle limit by 1 degree. Specifically, the temps would go from around 72C back to 63C, which is when the frames drop. I have tried undervolting the CPU as much as I can as well (around -.150 worth without it crashing), so I am not sure what I can really do to fix this. I am not entirely sure that this is my issue, but I am 99% sure that it is the problem.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Before you can solve a problem, you need to fully understand it. Try running ThrottleStop and post some screenshots. Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log to your next post.

What laptop model do you have? Different manufacturers use different throttling schemes. I just helped a user with his 7th Gen laptop. Enabling Speed Shift in the ThrottleStop TPL window made a world of difference. No more throttling for his laptop.

Throttling at 75°C is almost always power limit related and not temperature related.

Post some more info if you need help.

tobythecat

Yes I was also considering the power throttling as a possibility. I have the worst of all brands when it comes to it, Dell Inspiron ( specifically 15 7000 model). I cannot post one right now, but around lunch time I can do so. In the program, I notice that the PROCHAT is greyed out in the bottom rightish area and it reads 97C, not sure if this is system specific or just a random value. Also, I can provide some information that may help; For example, I will play Rust at around 85-90 FPS, the game runs better so nice, but then after I’d say like 8 minutes the CPU down locks itself like I said earlier to an extremely low clock and stays like that for like 3 minutes. The clock goes back up for only less than a minute from then on and the process just keeps repeating. I’m not sure how to adjust the power throttling thing, but maybe the speed step could help since my laptop is probably from like 2016-17. Sorry for the giant block of writing, I’m on my phone writing this. Thanks for the reply!

unclewebb

Dell Inspiron
Dell's poorly engineered laptops are the reason why ThrottleStop exists. Over the years, Dell has used a wide variety of throttling methods. Many of their laptops end up providing a terrible user experience because of poor design.

The good news is that when ThrottleStop is setup correctly, the majority of throttling problems in their 7th Gen laptops can usually be solved. Post a log file and some screenshots and I will be able to see what throttling methods are being used on your computer. After that, I can tell you how to go about fixing these common problems that Dell has deliberately created.

The Intel default thermal throttling temperature (PROCHOT - processor hot) for your CPU is 100°C. Many laptop manufacturers have decided to lower this a few degrees just to be safe. PROCHOT 97°C means that your CPU will start to slow down when it hits 97°C instead of the full 100°C. That is reasonable. The rest of the throttling issues are not.

If ThrottleStop shows PROCHOT 97°C in red, that is a record of your CPU thermal throttling and slowing down. You need to try and improve the CPU cooling if that is the case. Older laptops can benefit from being disassembled and having the dust bunnies blown out.

tobythecat

Dell's poorly engineered laptops are the reason why ThrottleStop exists. Over the years, Dell has used a wide variety of throttling methods. Many of their laptops end up providing a terrible user experience because of poor design.

The good news is that when ThrottleStop is setup correctly, the majority of throttling problems in their 7th Gen laptops can usually be solved. Post a log file and some screenshots and I will be able to see what throttling methods are being used on your computer. After that, I can tell you how to go about fixing these common problems that Dell has deliberately created.

The Intel default thermal throttling temperature (PROCHOT - processor hot) for your CPU is 100°C. Many laptop manufacturers have decided to lower this a few degrees just to be safe. PROCHOT 97°C means that your CPU will start to slow down when it hits 97°C instead of the full 100°C. That is reasonable. The rest of the throttling issues are not.

If ThrottleStop shows PROCHOT 97°C in red, that is a record of your CPU thermal throttling and slowing down. You need to try and improve the CPU cooling if that is the case. Older laptops can benefit from being disassembled and having the dust bunnies blown out.

I ran a test on Rust for 10 minute, I just kind of sat there. Same kinda deal, The game gives me a surprising 100-105 FPS, then the I notice that the PKG power will reach like 21 and then go back to 13 which in effect would lower my clock and get me back to 40fps. The CPU never reaches above 80, so I know its not thermal throttling now, but you are right to assume it might be power throttle, and how should i go about to fix this problem. (thanks for another reply, I really appreciate it!) I included the log that goes on for about 10 minutes, and the screenshot of my throttlestop, I'm not sure what settings to actually use since I am new to the software, so I didn't check anything I didn't know, but i tried unchecking the boprochet thing but it didn't do anything so I turned it back on just now.

Attachments

• 2021-11-18.txt
    55 KB · Views: 120
  • 1637280342269.png
    1637280342269.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 464

unclewebb

The monitoring table in the screenshot you posted shows the Mod column reporting 0.0 for each thread. Every other screenshot everywhere on the net shows that Mod is supposed to be at 100.0.

Check the Clock Mod box on the main screen of ThrottleStop to try and force this to 100.0%.

There might be a new throttling problem after you fix this so post another log file if you still have a problem.

You should also enable Speed Shift Technology in the TPL window. Set Speed Shift EPP to 0 on the main screen for maximum CPU speed. Set EPP to 80 when running on battery power.

Last edited:

tobythecat

Wow, it seems that just might have fixed it, I do notice the temps go to around like 82 and bounce around there, So I got to watch it to make sure it doesn't jump to something crazy, but damn, thank you man. This program is a lifesaver, everything is fixed!!! Thank you again, I can't thank you enough!

Attachments

• 2021-11-18.txt
    30.3 KB · Views: 118

unclewebb

temps go to around like 82
Intel CPUs can run reliably up to 100C. They will automatically slow down before the temperature gets crazy. No worries.

In the TPL window I would also check the MMIO lock box.

thank you man
You are welcome. Your new log file looks great. I will never understand how a mega company like Dell could screw up so many laptops. Their bizarre throttling schemes are completely unnecessary. ThrottleStop just saved another one.

tobythecat

Intel CPUs can run reliably up to 100C. They will automatically slow down before the temperature gets crazy. No worries.

In the TPL window I would also check the MMIO lock box.

You are welcome. Your new log file looks great. I will never understand how a mega company like Dell could screw up so many laptops. Their bizarre throttling schemes are completely unnecessary. ThrottleStop just saved another one.
sorry to bring up this forum again, but i have a question pertaining to the clock speed using throttlestop. My cpu can have a max clock of 3.5 GHZ but it's only 3.09, is this just a problem will Dell laptop or is it some setting im missing, thank you for your time again!

unclewebb

The CPU only gets to use the 35 multiplier when a single core is active. During a stress test, this drops to 31. You also need to have the C states enabled for this to work.

Post some screenshots while a TS Bench - 1Thread test is running.

tobythecat

sorry for late response, yeah I researched it and its a normal thing for the quad core to reach only 3.1ghz in turbo, although ever since then, my cpu reaches 100% usage and then my game runs poorly. Before the fix, my game would run great for like 5 minutes and then terribly for the next 5 because of the throttle limit, but it seems now, (for example; Desitny 2) runs really poorly.

Before the fix, my game would follow the same pattern, really good for a few minutes, and then run badly, then runs well again. I included the log and a screenshot of my ThrottleStop for reference, this is probably because of the fact my CPU is kinda garbage with my mediocre GPU, but I am just curious since before the fix when my fps was fluctuated, the times my FPS was good, the fps was amazing, right before it would drop again, but still it was interesting that ever since I fixed it, (I may have done something and messed it up), but it kind of feels that my current FPS is like an average of the high fps and the low fps from before the fix.

P.S. After running the test, I do see that when my PKG power goes above 19-20, my cpu really kills itself. I believe this may be the problem, but you are the master here. I'm including a plethora of screenshots in case you need them, thanks again!

Attachments

• 2021-11-26.txt
    34.3 KB · Views: 35
  • task manager and throttlstop ss.PNG
    task manager and throttlstop ss.PNG
    311.7 KB · Views: 198
  • FIVR settings.PNG
    FIVR settings.PNG
    53.4 KB · Views: 183
  • TPL settings.PNG
    TPL settings.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 175

unclewebb

It looks like a 7th Gen 4 core CPU at 3.1 GHz and without hyper threading, combined with a GTX 1050, is no longer enough muscle for smooth gaming. The 7300HQ was a low end mobile CPU 5 years ago when it was first released.

when my PKG power goes above 19-20, my cpu really kills itself
The log file shows that 21W is the maximum power consumption for your CPU when it is fully loaded while gaming. The CPU is not slowing down or throttling. It is running at its full rated speed and it is giving all it can give. Sadly, all it can give is not enough for smooth game play.

1637969299415.png

When a CPU is running full out like this, any additional tasks that come along that need to be processed, have to stop and wait for another task to finish. When tasks start to back up in the queue like this, it is kind of like having a four lane road blocked off to one land during rush hour traffic. This is not good for smooth traffic flow just like a fully loaded CPU running at 100% is not good for smooth game play.

When your computer is idle at the desktop with only ThrottleStop open, what does ThrottleStop show for C0%? For comparison, fast desktop processors with lots of threads available can average 0.1% in the C0 state when idle. A 4 core CPU like you have should be somewhere around 1.0%.

1637969958954.png

It takes very little processing power to run all of the Windows background tasks when it is properly setup. The only way for you to improve performance is to reduce the background tasks so your CPU is not so overloaded. Look in the Task Manager Details tab to see if there is anything that does not need to be running. Work on lowering the idle C0%. Your CPU is overloaded. It needs all of the help it can get.

tobythecat

It looks like a 7th Gen 4 core CPU at 3.1 GHz and without hyper threading, combined with a GTX 1050, is no longer enough muscle for smooth gaming. The 7300HQ was a low end mobile CPU 5 years ago when it was first released.

The log file shows that 21W is the maximum power consumption for your CPU when it is fully loaded while gaming. The CPU is not slowing down or throttling. It is running at its full rated speed and it is giving all it can give. Sadly, all it can give is not enough for smooth game play.

View attachment 226716

When a CPU is running full out like this, any additional tasks that come along that need to be processed, have to stop and wait for another task to finish. When tasks start to back up in the queue like this, it is kind of like having a four lane road blocked off to one land during rush hour traffic. This is not good for smooth traffic flow just like a fully loaded CPU running at 100% is not good for smooth game play.

When your computer is idle at the desktop with only ThrottleStop open, what does ThrottleStop show for C0%? For comparison, fast desktop processors with lots of threads available can average 0.1% in the C0 state when idle. A 4 core CPU like you have should be somewhere around 1.0%.

View attachment 226722

It takes very little processing power to run all of the Windows background tasks when it is properly setup. The only way for you to improve performance is to reduce the background tasks so your CPU is not so overloaded. Look in the Task Manager Details tab to see if there is anything that does not need to be running. Work on lowering the idle C0%. Your CPU is overloaded. It needs all of the help it can get.
Yeah buts it’s strange, before I fixed it with throttle stop, I would get super good FPS and like an average of 70% cpu usage on games like rainbow six siege or destiny(this was also when my games would run super well and then super horrible every few minutes) . It’s just now that the CPU reaches 100%. It was only when I did the forceclock or mod or whatever, that the FPS became stable, but the stable fps was around 40 for destiny 2. In the dips of when it was volatile, my fps would get to around 80, which I didn’t expect.

I made a video showing exactly what i mean and ill post the log that goes along with the events of the video, it's actually so weird.

Attachments

• log.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 37

unclewebb

Try using GPU-Z to log GPU performance when testing. It is possible that when your CPU is allowed to run at its full rated speed, there is not enough power available for the Nvidia GPU. The GPU could be forced to throttle internally similar to what the CPU was doing.

While testing, open the ThrottleStop TPL window and try changing the Speed Shift Max value.

1637991820371.png

This controls the maximum CPU speed. Make sure the Speed Shift option is checked. Slowing the CPU down will reduce its power consumption. Maybe a slower CPU will help overall performance. Try 25 or 20.

Did you have a look yet to see what your idle C0% is? Is it steady near 1% or is it all over the place jumping up to 10% or more? When you only have 4 cores available, running Windows as lean as possible is important.

tobythecat

Try using GPU-Z to log GPU performance when testing. It is possible that when your CPU is allowed to run at its full rated speed, there is not enough power available for the Nvidia GPU. The GPU could be forced to throttle internally similar to what the CPU was doing.

While testing, open the ThrottleStop TPL window and try changing the Speed Shift Max value.

View attachment 226741

This controls the maximum CPU speed. Make sure the Speed Shift option is checked. Slowing the CPU down will reduce its power consumption. Maybe a slower CPU will help overall performance. Try 25 or 20.

Did you have a look yet to see what your idle C0% is? Is it steady near 1% or is it all over the place jumping up to 10% or more? When you only have 4 cores available, running Windows as lean as possible is important.
just a quick question before i test, should i set my computer's battery power to high power or balanced, also for my nvidia card, should i set it to optimal power or maximum performance.

unclewebb

quick question
Are you plugged in or running on battery power when testing? Hopefully plugged in. Most laptops throttle when running on battery power.

When testing, I would use the Windows High Performance power plan and the Nvidia max performance setting.

tobythecat

yeah bro this is crazy. The GPU is the problem I think, it goes up to 100% usage, which I heard is normal, then it just lowers itself back down which is parallel with the FPS dropping. Is there any way I can fix this?

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
    28.4 KB · Views: 41

unclewebb

The PerfCap column in the GPU-Z log file shows reasons why your GPU performance is being capped. Here is a table that @W1zzard posted a long time ago that shows the meaning of these performance limiting reasons. I am not 100% sure that these are valid for your Nvidia GPU but they probably are.
Code:
  /*!
  * Power. Indicating perf is limited by total power limit.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_POWER = 1,
  /*!
  * Thermal. Indicating perf is limited by temperature limit.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_THERMAL = 2,
  /*!
  * Reliability. Indicating perf is limited by reliability voltage.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_RELIABILITY = 4,
  /*!
  * Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_OPERATING = 8,
  /*!
  * Utilization. Indicating perf is limited by GPU utilization.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_UTILIZATION = 16,

#4 and #16 are the ones in your GPU-Z log file.

I know lots about fixing CPU throttling issues but nothing about fixing Nvidia GPU throttling issues.
There is probably nothing you can do about this.

tobythecat

The PerfCap column in the GPU-Z log file shows reasons why your GPU performance is being capped. Here is a table that @W1zzard posted a long time ago that shows the meaning of these performance limiting reasons. I am not 100% sure that these are valid for your Nvidia GPU but they probably are.
Code:
  /*!
  * Power. Indicating perf is limited by total power limit.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_POWER = 1,
  /*!
  * Thermal. Indicating perf is limited by temperature limit.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_THERMAL = 2,
  /*!
  * Reliability. Indicating perf is limited by reliability voltage.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_RELIABILITY = 4,
  /*!
  * Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_OPERATING = 8,
  /*!
  * Utilization. Indicating perf is limited by GPU utilization.
  */
  NV_GPU_PERF_POLICY_ID_SW_UTILIZATION = 16,

#4 and #16 are the ones in your GPU-Z log file.

I know lots about fixing CPU throttling issues but nothing about fixing Nvidia GPU throttling issues.
There is probably nothing you can do about this.

damn alright, thanks for your help though. Is there anyone that would know about this that could possibly help?