• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone else get a fake DMCA message from CenturyLink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name AM4 / 775
Processor 2600x / C2D E7600
Motherboard B450 Aorus / ASUS P5G41C-M LX
Cooling TT Esports Duo / Chinesium cooler
Memory 16GB DDR4 3ghz / 4GB DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2060 Super / 5700-XT / GTX 650Ti
Storage 120GB + 1TB SSD / 160GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT shit chassis modded / Coolermaster Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster FX / Audigy 2 ZX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III GOLD / BeQuiet 450w bronze.
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Read Dragon Kumara
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 1 Billion
You got rekt.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
You've had internet access since 1991?! :eek: Respect. :respect: What business are you in to be such an early adopter, if you don't mind saying?
This is just yet another example of some people reading more into a comment than is there. I said Qwest/CentruryLink service, not Qwest/CenturyLink ISP service. Obviously before there was internet, Qwest was just a phone company. Suffice it to say, over half that time, roughly 16 years, I've had Qwest/CenturyLink ISP service, and this is the only time I've ever seen such a message. To those assuming I'm infringing on copyrights, don't you think it's odd that in all that time, I've only seen ONE message like this, and when it happens, their phone staff say there are no such records of copyright complaints when I call in about it?

I agree with you that something doesn't look right if you've had a DMCA block on your internet access, but then the company doesn't know anything about it. While, it could just about be some sort of hack / identity theft, I think the most likely scenario is that it's just a technical glitch at their end and you've got nothing to worry about in my opinion.
Yeah I agree, and I also don't think copyright complaints would be only accessible to upper tier staff. Reason being, most ISPs do everything they can to keep their customers. That means getting them the information they need to correct any illegal behavior they, their friends, or burglars may have indulged in. You aren't going to be able to do that very expediently by making them request upper tier staff to access it, and it only slows them down having to have such people answer those questions.

Plus this could very well be a technical glitch as you said, especially since they are going through a database software and/or hardware changeover. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a tech glitch in Qwest or CenturyLink's system. They are also investigating a possible hack.

Anyways, to staff, I'm going to make an official request this thread be closed. There's only been a few here that aren't lynch minded, and it's just perpetuating arguments over speculations of innocence or guilt. The purpose and topic of the thread, which I made clear, was to merely ask if anyone else has experienced this, and most are not adhering to that topic. If I need any help, I can get it from one of those offering it via PM.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, lynch minded doesn't seem very fair at all. :shadedshu: Feel free to pm me about this if you like.

And finally, I take back all that respect! :p

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
This seems really similar to something I experienced about 10 years ago when various UK ISP's started pandering to the likes of RIAA and sending people ridiculous letters demanding £1k for downloading a single or a cam film..... they used a lot of questionable tactics like this, pretty much illegal/bullying tactics and trying to scare people into paying stupid amounts, the reasoning behind it seems to be that probably 5% or less of them threatened with the accusations will likely bow to the demands thus making up for the 95% and all of the billions of $ in revenue lost..... I recall getting a letter, I ignored it.... I'm still here today and they never took me to court and sent me to prison for 50 years....

Either that or it's malware, which is also as likely, threaten to have your details leaked/emails, credit cards etc and to call now to remove...

Status
Not open for further replies.