• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

APC UPS triggered system shutdown when it shouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It seems you do not - as evidenced by your contradictions - and your comment suggesting it makes no sense to use a sleep mode because a computer that is never turned off uses so little power when idle - suggesting there is negligible difference in power consumption between a computer up and running at idle, and a computer in sleep mode.

Anyone with kill-a-watt meter or UPS with a decent status display knows that is not true.
His comment about that is wrong.
Here is the thing. I made that statement based on the general computer. Contrary to what some seem to think, the very large majority of computers don't have a high end gaming graphics card in them, or even a graphics card at all.

And if you look at the power consumption of a normal modern PC, you know, the ones where the 250w power supply Dell puts in them is still overkill, you'll find that the idle power consumption is absolutely minuscule. In fact, my i7-10700 desktop computer, the one I leave on 24/7, it sits idle at 9w once the monitor goes to sleep. That's pretty gosh darn close to the 3w it uses when put to sleep. And if you do the math, even if you are paying the worst price/kWh in the United States($0.43/kWh), the 6w difference between idle and sleep if you leave the computer idle 24/7/365 costs a whole $22.60 a year. That's it. For a whole year, less than $25. And that's if you're paying the worst rate possible in the US. If you're paying a more reasonable $0.25/kWh, the cost for a whole year is not even $15. And that is why I say the difference between idle and sleep is minor.

Yes, there will be exceptions. If you have a high end gaming computer, the idle will be higher, and sleep might make a difference to you. But generally, for the general computer user using a basic non-gaming computer from the last few years, the difference is in fact minor to the point I would call it negligible.

And even if you are one of the exceptions with a high end computer. I'd bet the difference between waking from sleep and hibernation, with your fancy SSD, is a few seconds. I know my gaming computer wakes from hibernation to the desktop in 6 seconds.

It appears to me (okay, I'm guessing) that Windows sees the UPS battery similarly to how it sees a laptop battery. That's wrong. It should not see it as a battery at all! It should see it as an UPS. Then the OS makers can integrate some "basic" UPS monitoring and control features into the OS to allow the UPS to automatically shut the OS and computer down BEFORE the batteries run out.

If you have a UPS connected to a computer without the software installed, you are correct that it shows up as a battery just like a laptop. But after that you don't seem to understand how everything works. I'll discuss how it works with Windows, because I will admit my knowledge of how it works in Linux and OSX is limited but I can't imagine it's that much different. So when I say "the OS" I'm talking Windows, but it might be the same for others.

The OS can read the state of charge of the battery. It also reads if the UPS is connected to power or not. So if you disconnect power from the UPS, so it is running on battery, the OS knows it is running on battery. Now, once power to the UPS is cut, some things happen, but it isn't the UPS that tells the OS to do anything(it's never the UPS, even if you have the UPS software installed). There are basically two scenarios when the power is cut:

• The computer is sitting idle with no one using it when the power is cut.
    • In this scenario, the OS follows whatever time limits are set for the computer to go to sleep when on battery. Remember, these are different time limits from if the computer is connected to power. For example, I have my computer set to never go to sleep when UPS is connected to power, but to go to sleep after 15 minutes if power to the UPS is cut. However, and I can already hear you angrily typing on your keyboard. "But what if the battery doesn't last long enough for the computer to go to sleep after 15 minutes?!?" Well, the OS is already set up to handle that too. By default, Windows will force a hibernate once the battery reaches 5% remaining.
  • You are actively using the computer when the power is cut.
    • This one is simple. You can monitor the battery level, and put the computer to sleep, hibernate, or turn it off when you want. However again, by default, when the battery reaches 5% remaining, a hibernation will be forced. It doesn't matter if the user is right in the middle of a sentence, the computer will hibernate, and there is nothing the user can do to stop it.
So, these "basic" UPS monitoring and control features that you want integrated into the OS? Yeah, they're already there, and have been for a long time.

My ISP-provided device isn't even a modem in the traditional sense, it's more or less a network medium translation device; it translates fiber to Ethernet. Oh, and it has Wi-Fi.
The WiFi part is likely going to consume the most power. The radio transmitter consume a lot of power. I put my Comcast modem in bridge mode, and it uses about 1/4th power power it did when it was acting as a WiFi router and modem.

Immediately? No. With mine, I get about 45minutes worth of usage power, which is more than enough time to finish what I'm doing, save whatever I'm working on and shut down.
I think the answer to the question is really a case by case basis. But in general, I think saving your work and shutting down as soon as possible is the best practice. But at the same time, I can see someone continuing to work until the battery is getting pretty low too. In my case, when the power goes out, I get about 30-45 minutes of runtime from all my equipment. Which I use to go outside and connect my generator and power the house back up. I can usually get the generator hooked up and the house back to powered in under 15 minutes. And I have to use the generator because...

My area is a bit different. We don't loose power very often, but when we do it usually out for a few hours.
...in my neck of the woods, if the power goes out, it's usually out for a day or more. It's also why I currently have 10 UPSes in my house.

Attachments

• monitorsleep.png
    monitorsleep.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
If you have a high end gaming computer
Yes, I get it. However, look at the top of this page. What does it say? I believe it says...
1659570341819.png

So yeah, um... I'm going to automatically assume that if you're here at this kind of enthusiast forum, you're going to have a high-end gaming rig. Hence what @Bill_Bright is true.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yes, I get it. However, look at the top of this page. What does it say? I believe it says...
View attachment 256907
So yeah, um... I'm going to automatically assume that if you're here at this kind of enthusiast forum, you're going to have a high-end gaming rig. Hence what @Bill_Bright is true.
I'm not, a tech forum is not a high end gaming computer forum.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Thats what I was wondering.....does Windows actually see the UPS as a battery? .....While plugged in? If no APC software installed, and a USB or serial cable attached, it's just a battery to Windows? :confused:

Windows sees my BR1500MS as a generic battery backup via the data cable going from my UPS to PC. Don't need Powerchute installed to get data on the UPS. Arguably the data cable itself is far more useful than the APC software.

It shows up as a sensor group in HWInfo when plugged in, giving voltage, battery percentage, est. runtime, current load in wattage, whether it's charging, whether it's discharging etc. I'll grab a screenie when I get back.

I used to leave my computer running when I left the house, until one unfortunate incident in which the power went out literally 60 seconds after I left the house. Came back like 2 hours later to find my BR1500MS still barely holding on and immediately shut it off. Now I never leave the house without my computer either off or in sleep.

It draws 0-1W in sleep, and my monitors in sleep seem to be the same. There's not much need to "turn off" modern monitors to save power.

hwinfo ups.png

Last edited:
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
And yet, you don't know the very basic fact that you can have the monitor go to sleep without putting the computer to sleep. I'd think someone with such genius level knowledge of power consumption of computers would know this very basic piece of information.

Holy shit, you doubled down on the statement even after I pointed out you are 100% wrong. Wow... Seriously, stop trying to give advice on power usage, you have no f'n clue what you are talking about.

Like, wow, there is literally a setting in Windows that says "Turn off monitor after" and it lets you pick how long in minutes. And after that time, the monitor is turned off, but the computer still continues to run.

I seriously can't believe there are actually people that don't know this very basic knowledge, and are actually trying to say this basic function of computers is actually a malfunction AND trying to give other advice on power usage. Like WTF?!?

But since you seem to be so dead set that you can't put a monitor to sleep without putting the whole computer to sleep or turning it off, please tell me what this setting right here is for then:
View attachment 256905

Seriously, tell me what it does. Don't even bother to respond if the answer to what that setting does isn't the first thing in your post.
In my experience, when putting a computer to sleep, a message will appear stating the monitor is entered power saving mode. When the setting references above activates, this message does not appear. Also, reactivating the video signal is far faster when it is in "monitor timeout". Therefore, it can be concluded that the monitor is merely displaying a black screen with the backlight at 0% rather than putting the monitor's control system into a standby state. This will consume power above sleep but below idle.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I used to leave my computer running when I left the house, until one unfortunate incident in which the power went out literally 60 seconds after I left the house. Came back like 2 hours later to find my BR1500MS still barely holding on and immediately shut it off. Now I never leave the house without my computer either off or in sleep.
If left the power settings to the defaults in Windows, your computer will automatically hibernate when the remaining batter hits 5%.

In my experience, when putting a computer to sleep, a message will appear stating the monitor is entered power saving mode. When the setting references above activates, this message does not appear. Also, reactivating the video signal is far faster when it is in "monitor timeout". Therefore, it can be concluded that the monitor is merely displaying a black screen with the backlight at 0% rather than putting the monitor's control system into a standby state. This will consume power above sleep but below idle.
When Windows puts the monitor to sleep, all it is doing is cutting the video signal to the monitor, the same as when the computer is put to sleep. What the monitor chooses to do with this, and what is displayed varies depending on the monitor.

However, the state that the monitor is in is the same if the computer is turned off, or if Windows puts the monitor to sleep.

The difference in time for the monitor to wake up between when the computer is in sleep and when just the monitor in in sleep comes down to the fact that the video signal is not restored to the monitor instantly when waking a computer from sleep. There is a second or two delay after you wake the computer before it begins outputting a signal to the monitor. However, when just the monitor is put to sleep, the video signal is output immediately when you move the mouse or press a key.

Last edited:
I think the answer to the question is really a case by case basis.
That's fair and with @trparky the situation will depend on what they want out of their setup. Still, using a UPS as an inline power supply can render unexpected results, such as the issue they're having.
In my case, when the power goes out, I get about 30-45 minutes of runtime from all my equipment. Which I use to go outside and connect my generator and power the house back up. I can usually get the generator hooked up and the house back to powered in under 15 minutes. And I have to use the generator because...
You are definitely an exception to the rule, especially...
...in my neck of the woods, if the power goes out, it's usually out for a day or more. It's also why I currently have 10 UPSes in my house.
...in this situation. Most people never or very rarely experience such a situation. At most people have to deal with an outage that lasts a few hours.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
That's fair and with @trparky the situation will depend on what they want out of their setup. Still, using a UPS as an inline power supply can render unexpected results, such as the issue they're having.
Agreed. In any case, it's not recommended to keep working on the UPS for an extended period of time. Finish the sentence you're in the middle of writing, save, and shut the computer down.

It sounds to me that @trparky's UPS might have an issue, likely the batteries are starting to go and need replacing. 3 quick power outages in the span of a few seconds shouldn't trigger a low battery report to the computer. But for some reason the UPS thought the batteries were dead.
You are definitely an exception to the rule, especially...
...in this situation. Most people never or very rarely experience such a situation. At most people have to deal with an outage that lasts a few hours.
Yeah, I would definitely agree it's a rarity for people to lose power for more than a few hours. Though even if it was out for just a couple hours, I'd still hook up a generator. In my rare situation we have two kinds of power outages. If the power goes out, it either comes back on in under 10 minutes, or it's out for a day or more. The outages that last a day or more usually only happen once a year, right around the same time of year each year(weather related).

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
OK, I swear to God I'm going to call the moderators down on this thread if the bickering between the two of you doesn't stop already. Hell, I'm just going to do it anyway. @phill, lock this thing up!!!

@freeagent , if @phill doesn't get to it first, lock it up yourself.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'd like to lock the thread for you but sadly I'll have to get one of the other mods to do it as I've not much control over this forum :(

It seems to be a thing of late, I do wonder if us guys suffer form monthlies as well as women...

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
locked, keep irrelevant personal disagreements out of others' threads please

Be polite and Constructive, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.
  • This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming, baiting, retaliatory comments, system feature abuse, and insulting others.
  • Do not get involved in any off-topic banter or arguments. Please report them and avoid instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.