• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Passive Cooling Laptop Modification

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I know! He’s so charming, curious, and has awesome humility while doing incredible things. Makes me feel like I could do anything with a little effort. It was actually one of his videos that encouraged me to attach a tower heatsink to a GPU. :love:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
My $2 on this....

Get a low profile cooler like a Cryorig C7 or the Noctua/Akasa alternative - You can even go with the heatsinks used to cool U1 servers like this...

and get the same desired result for what im thinking...

remove and strip down the laptop heatsink completely - Measure and mark the mounting points in the heatsink youre going to attach and drill a few holes so you can still screw it down.

After that. get some solder and some soldering iron and you want to lay some solder along each of the heatpipes where ive marked out in the red box...

25QQ7cO.jpeg

Alternatively you can use the same soldering paste that technicians use to re-ball CPUs -- this is probably much easier if you can find some because it spreads like thermal paste -- Remember to use lead free solder as it could cause galvanic corrosion.

Spread some of that along the heatpipes. Place the cooler on a baking tray with your heatsink placed on top then bake it in the oven for 10 mins and let it cool for 20-30mins. Theoretically, heatsink should add more thermal capacity to the stock cooler and not only will it help cool your CPU but it will help cool the GPUs too since its directly attached to the heatpipes.

The only main issue going with a U1 server heatsink is working out where to hook up a small fan to help with cooling.

--- Since you were going all unorthodox cooling, this was my idea. Its maybe less janky then your original idea with the Noctua NH-P1 but my method uses what you already got to deal with temperatures more efficiently with use of the existing heatsink.

Either way I am subbed to this because Im interested in what you do and the before and after results. I am a fan of ghetto modding.

Remember to use lead free solder as it could cause galvanic corrosion.
Nonsense. Lead does not cause galvanic corrosion, which is why it was used as a solder base for so many decades.

(And getting angry about it does not change the science of how Lead behaves in the context of usage in electronics applications.)

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Nonsense. Lead does not cause galvanic corrosion, which is why it was used as a solder base for so many decades.

Thats why i said 'it could' I wasnt too sure. and googling it didnt help much.

Thats why i said 'it could' I wasnt too sure. and googling it didnt help much.
No worries. To be fair, Lead can be reactive in applications of use where water or other corrosive liquids are present and can circulate freely around multiple metals. But in the context of electronics, there is zero need for worry.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Alright, I got some vrm/vram heatsinks and thermal adhesive glue ordered, was only $12 for that combo. Then I got some SYY thermal paste 8 grams for I think it was $11 after coupon. I wanted some thermalright TFX, but that was like $12 for 2 grams... so I said eh... (my mx-5 i gave away for free to the person who bought my desktop PC)

I got the splitter cable to power my fans through a USB cable.

Now I just need to decide which cooler to go with... I'm leaning towards these but I am worried they won't be enough of an upgrade (I wouldn't have to worry about balance anymore though) (unless one of you fine chaps want to donate some Wraith Prisms's to my cause):

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Alright, I got some vrm/vram heatsinks and thermal adhesive glue ordered, was only $12 for that combo. Then I got some SYY thermal paste 8 grams for I think it was $11 after coupon. I wanted some thermalright TFX, but that was like $12 for 2 grams... so I said eh... (my mx-5 i gave away for free to the person who bought my desktop PC)

I got the splitter cable to power my fans through a USB cable.

Now I just need to decide which cooler to go with... I'm leaning towards these but I am worried they won't be enough of an upgrade (I wouldn't have to worry about balance anymore though) (unless one of you fine chaps want to donate some Wraith Prisms's to my cause):

Please don't puck rgb. Please don't puck rgb.
Save the human species, no more rgb. :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Please don't puck rgb. Please don't puck rgb.
Save the human species, no more rgb. :)

I could care less either way about that, main thing for me is cost... but I don't think that is going to be beefy enough to achieve what I am aiming for.

Going to have to stick with the $50 coolers I think unless I can get a couple wraith prism's cheaply. and hope the adhesive glue will hold it on enough.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I could care less either way about that, main thing for me is cost... but I don't think that is going to be beefy enough to achieve what I am aiming for.

Going to have to stick with the $50 coolers I think unless I can get a couple wraith prism's cheaply. and hope the adhesive glue will hold it on enough.
Did you check ebay for the AMD coolers.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Did you check ebay for the AMD coolers.

I was thinking y'all might want to see my Frankenstein project, so maybe someone out there that reads this read has a wraith prism laying around they know they will never use and can throw it my way. two of those, on direct die... I won't have to worry about balance issues either... hmm.

but yeah if nothing comes my way soon I will check other places or just risk the tall tower versions lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
IT WORKED BOYS IT FREAKING WORKED LMAO

I CAN'T FREAKIN BELIEVE IT!!!! $30 TOTAL COST TOO ME DOWN TO 65 CELSIUS ON BOTH CPU AND GPU!!!! LMAO

TO THE MOON BOYS!!! TO THE MOON!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! THIS LAPTOP ISN'T DEAD YET BOYS AND SHE IS ABOUT TO GET OVERCLOCKED TO BOOT! YEEEEEEHAAAAA

ROFL I can't believe... I need to find some cheaper weights other than the olive oil though, that crap was expensive lol... I disabled keyboard in local config editor, and made sure it won't reinstall, now i just use external keyboard mouse and monitor. temps not breaking 65 celsius in anything I throw at it. lmao :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

@W1zzard @R-T-B @lexluthermiester @TheLostSwede @Gmr_Chick @yotano211 @jesdals @Mussels @Ahhzz @nguyen @Drone @Jill Valentine @rtwjunkie @Caring1 @Legacy-ZA @newtekie1 @AsRock @erocker @PaulieG @Tatty_One @btarunr @80-watt Hamster @Toothless

COTTON BALLS FOR BALANCE BOYS!!! COTTON BALLS AND OLIVE OIL TO THE MOON!!!!

System Name Desktop PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Motherboard MSI B450I Gaming Plus Max Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair Hydro X Series Custom Loop
Memory 32 (2x16) GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super FE
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD
Display(s) Vizio 1080p TV Screen (Temporary)
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken X Headset
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Lite Gaming Keyboard
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
Software Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 8706 (Stock)
Just be sure not to bump into the table that that whole setup is sitting on. Else it'll come crashing down. :p

Anyway, do you have benchmark utilities like 3DMark installed? It'd be interesting to see some benchmark scores of the laptop before and after you did your mod.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just be sure not to bump into the table that that whole setup is sitting on. Else it'll come crashing down. :p

Anyway, do you have benchmark utilities like 3DMark installed? It'd be interesting to see some benchmark scores of the laptop before and after you did your mod.

actually, since the arctic coolers are so heavy and the olive oil is too, its quite difficult to move it at all. the laptop by itself is also quite heavy. but yes you are correct, don't want to be to reckless around it.

but overall its not going anywhere, heck even that book is pretty heavy.

yep. i'll be posting benchmarks later in day... just did a couple tests first to see if it even worked then got all excited, came here posted it... now... i actually have to clean up my mess... LOL

edit: read my system specs lmao

Last edited:
IT WORKED BOYS IT FREAKING WORKED LMAO

I CAN'T FREAKIN BELIEVE IT!!!! $30 TOTAL COST TOO ME DOWN TO 65 CELSIUS ON BOTH CPU AND GPU!!!! LMAO

TO THE MOON BOYS!!! TO THE MOON!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! THIS LAPTOP ISN'T DEAD YET BOYS AND SHE IS ABOUT TO GET OVERCLOCKED TO BOOT! YEEEEEEHAAAAA

ROFL I can't believe... I need to find some cheaper weights other than the olive oil though, that crap was expensive lol... I disabled keyboard in local config editor, and made sure it won't reinstall, now i just use external keyboard mouse and monitor. temps not breaking 65 celsius in anything I throw at it. lmao :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

@W1zzard @R-T-B @lexluthermiester @TheLostSwede @Gmr_Chick @yotano211 @jesdals @Mussels @Ahhzz @nguyen @Drone @Jill Valentine @rtwjunkie @Caring1 @Legacy-ZA @newtekie1 @AsRock @erocker @PaulieG @Tatty_One @btarunr @80-watt Hamster @Toothless

COTTON BALLS FOR BALANCE BOYS!!! COTTON BALLS AND OLIVE OIL TO THE MOON!!!!

Screenshots man! It's such a Jerry-rig but still cool. Question though, how are going to run that system with the bottles of oil sitting on the keyboard in front of the screen?

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Screenshots man! It's such a Jerry-rig but still cool. Question though, how are run that system with the bottles of oil sitting on the keyboard in front of the screen?

read my post. i disabled keyboard in windows config. using external monitor kb/mouse.

and here are my first benches... i gained quite a lot in FFXV benchmark with much better temps on top of that.

this was after the mod:

before the mod:

read my post. i disabled keyboard in windows config. using external monitor kb/mouse.
Oops... feeling dumb again... :banghead::roll:

and here are my first benches... i gained quite a lot in FFXV benchmark with much better temps on top of that.

this was after the mod:

before the mod:

Nice! Temps during those runs?

Yeah, but because you removed the bottom cover of the laptop, so it's going to run cooler anyway. So you don't know how effective that extra heatsink is performing.

If I was to carry out such a modification, I would have found something with copper that can be soldered direct to the copper heatpipe..

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah, but because you removed the bottom cover of the laptop, so it's going to run cooler anyway. So you don't know how effective that extra heatsink is performing.

If I was to carry out such a modification, I would have found something with copper that can be soldered direct to the copper heatpipe..

Incorrect. I had the bottom of the laptop removed for 2-3 years now, laying direct on the same 4 fan air cooler. So the results are accurate. Many gains. Thank you for playing Price is Right today, come again.

Soldering would not matter. The problem is the pressure and stripped screws that can't be fixed without replacing the heatsink, as the screws are stripped inside the holes, as you would know, if you read the previous posts. I suppose solder extra copper, plus something heavy on top to fix the pressure, maybe. My way is basically similar though.

@lexluthermiester my before time spy score was around mid 4000's

this is after mod... and temps didnt break 58 celsius (until the cpu stress test part of the bench)... insane... lol.. pretty happy with the results. considering I only spent 30 bucks. this is with a heavy OC on the 1070.

Last edited:
Incorrect. I had the bottom of the laptop removed for 2-3 years now, laying direct on the same 4 fan air cooler. So the results are accurate. Many gains. Thank you for playing Price is Right today, come again.

Soldering would not matter. The problem is the pressure and stripped screws that can't be fixed without replacing the heatsink, as the screws are stripped inside the holes, as you would know, if you read the previous posts. I suppose solder extra copper, plus something heavy on top to fix the pressure, maybe. My way is basically similar though.

@lexluthermiester my before time spy score was around mid 4000's

this is after mod... and temps didnt break 58 celsius (until the cpu stress test part of the bench)... insane... lol.. pretty happy with the results. considering I only spent 30 bucks. this is with a heavy OC on the 1070.

Can you turn turn the laptop over & take a few screenshots with the heatsink attached & post. ..I want to see modification.

Can you turn turn the laptop over & take a few screenshots with the heatsink attached & post. ..I want to see modification.
Dude, hush up and leave Lynx alone. The rest of us believe him. It's not difficult to fathom.

Thank you for playing Price is Right today, come again.
The Price is WRONG Bobby! LOL!

Nice! That a ton better than the 90's you were getting..

Last edited:
Dude, hush up and leave Lynx alone. The rest of us believe him. It's not difficult to fathom.

The Price is WRONG Bobby! LOL!

I just want to see modification(s). The last screenshot OP posted does not show a clear picture what changes the user has made. It does not need to look good, it just needs to work, which it clearly does. So he can even upload to the Ghetto Thread.

I just want to see modification(s). The last screenshot OP posted does not show a clear picture what changes the user has made. It does not need to look good, it just needs to work, which it clearly does. So he can even upload to the Ghetto Thread.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Your previous post seemed a bit aggressive.. And I agree I'd love to see some pictures too.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

not sure what you guys want to see, there is a previous picture in this thread of the heatsink and back of laptop.

and the new pictures show the two new arctic coolers hitting direct die. (i also have a fan hitting them in-between the fins) the olive oil provides the pressure (though I intend to replace that eventually with something better... similar sized though.

not sure what you guys want to see, there is a previous picture in this thread of the heatsink and back of laptop.

and the new pictures show the two new arctic coolers hitting direct die. (i also have a fan hitting them in-between the fins) the olive oil provides the pressure (though I intend to replace that eventually with something better... similar sized though.

Just want to see how it looks with picture taken from above with both heatsink in view. Also how is the heatsink attached? Am I guessing right the laptop is just resting on the heatsink (direct die contact) with those bottles weighing it down.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just want to see how it looks with picture taken from above with both heatsink in view. Also how is the heatsink attached? Am I guessing right the laptop is just resting on the heatsink (direct die contact) with those bottles weighing it down.

yep it's not mounted in anyway. just weight of laptop and weight of the olive oil. i'm not taking it all apart just to get a picture of it flipped over. it was pain to get it lined up right to begin with.

regardless. i was getting like 85+ celsius in games when this laptop was "normal" but ever since i messed up the heatsink last week, it was 95-100+ celsius even in indie games... so this was my only option, unless I wanted to pay a lot of money to a professional to fix it and get my regular 80ish celsius back, cause all laptops run hot.

so i said no thanks. $30 and now im seeing 57 celsius max on both cpu and gpu in divinity original sin 2 maxed out on ultra at 1080p 165 fps 165hz. with OC's on both. lol

can't complain. at least it's finally working good. I can now hold off until like 2023 before doing a new PC build. plenty of older games I want to play and indie games too.