• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are you buying MW3

Buying Modern Warfare 2.........3?

• Total voters
Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Released with dedicated servers.... check

Welcome to 1998. Most games not related to Call of Duty have used Dedicated Servers for the better part of the last decade. BF3 is no exception, neither was BFBC2, BC1, BF2142, BF1942, or BF2. Origin at it's worst will never be as bad as what IW Net was.

yup but the point is that it's one more moving part in a machine that can fuck up and cause the whole thing not to work... plus I never updated my FB in a war and am pretty sure you didn't either ;)

And I'm pretty sure you never would dual-wield bright red shotguns with laser scopes and purple dildos attached to them in a combat zone. If you want to bicker about realism you're defending the WRONG game.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
yup but the point is that it's one more moving part in a machine that can fuck up and cause the whole thing not to work... plus I never updated my FB in a war and am pretty sure you didn't either ;)

Plus I see how you skirted around the Origin issue

I have never had an issue with origin but others have I cannot deny that. I guess I was just lucky who knows. Yes I wished It would have been released on steam and from recent news, it may be soon.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
If they changed every little thing people would bitch that it wasn't even the same game...

I dont know about you, but im not in the habit of purchasing the same game (or what is POTENTIALLY the same game) 2 or 3 times in a row. Especially when they charge $60 per game.

In MW3 the situation gets worse. as you need to pay a $50 subscription fee to 'unlock' the full game.

at least we don't HAVE to deal with orgin :roll::roll::roll::roll: or have a web browser open to play a fking game

at least we dont have to pay $50 subs for the social networking side of things and stats tracking.

Origin and the web based server browser are quite a big change. and obviously most people hated it when they first started using it but many people have grown to it. and in most cases its even faster then using an ingame browser.
I really hated it. It has it flaws, and its still buggy as its something new but, it WILL get better.

In anycase. Origin and your web browser doesnt take that much resources unless your running it with hundreds of tabs.

Most users on this forum have more then enough resources to spare and dont see this as a big negative point of the game let alone be something to complain about.

If your complaining then maybe switching over to the console would be perfect for you.

I'm not a fanboy

Could have fooled me

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
To each his own. If you want to spend your money on MW3, then have fun!

None of the arguing over which game is better is gonna make HL2:EP3 show up any faster.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Welcome to 1998. Most games not related to Call of Duty have used Dedicated Servers for the better part of the last decade. BF3 is no exception, neither was BFBC2, BC1, BF2142, BF1942, or BF2. Origin at it's worst will never be as bad as what IW Net was.

and then....

And I'm pretty sure you never would dual-wield bright red shotguns with laser scopes and purple dildos attached to them in a combat zone. If you want to bicker about realism you're defending the WRONG game.
no your right I've been in a war and this is just a game
I dont know about you, but im not in the habit of purchasing the same game (or what is POTENTIALLY the same game) 2 or 3 times in a row. Especially when they charge $60 per game.

In MW3 the situation gets worse. as you need to pay a $50 subscription fee to 'unlock' the full game.

Ya need to read... 50 will buy you map packs for the year instead of dropping money on each one plus you get extras... basic version is free :toast:

at least we dont have to pay $50 subs for the social networking side of things and stats tracking.

Origin and the web based server browser are quite a big change. and obviously most people hated it when they first started using it but many people have grown to it. and in most cases its even faster then using an ingame browser.
I really hated it. It has it flaws, and its still buggy as its something new but, it WILL get better.

In anycase. Origin and your web browser doesnt take that much resources unless your running it with hundreds of tabs.

Most users on this forum have more then enough resources to spare and dont see this as a big negative point of the game let alone be something to complain about.

If your complaining then maybe switching over to the console would be perfect for you.

I play on a console :toast:

Could have fooled me
awww... :eek: I feel sooo silly now

Who knew me cumming would cause such a rift this early in da morning:rockout:

brandonwh64

Gary your the man! I say you play what you wanna play and I would not put you down for doing it. My only complain is that COD could have been changed since COD4 in big ways but no they decide to keep the same ole stuff.

Speaking of this! I need to install COD4 on my cruncher to play at work!

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Gary your the man! I say you play what you wanna play and I would not put you down for doing it. My only complain is that COD could have been changed since COD4 in big ways but no they decide to keep the same ole stuff.

Speaking of this! I need to install COD4 on my cruncher to play at work!

Some of these guys may have a point that I don't see cause I didn't play COD4 until I got it free with the prepurchase... but like ya said I enjoy each game for different things :toast:

brandonwh64

Some of these guys may have a point that I don't see cause I didn't play COD4 until I got it free with the prepurchase... but like ya said I enjoy each game for different things :toast:

I picked up COD4 while on my second deployment and we played LAN matches with 2 platoons on the FOB. I didn't get to play the full multiplayer until 2009 and by then I already had all unlocks due to getting them by playing on LAN. Its fun and stuff but it gets old quick unless you do domination or something.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Cod What ? Oh yeah the cash register at Activision...scammers You guys forget MW2 map-pack with china town was a reworked map from COD-cod2 Caen or something known like,Here you go watch 6.32 .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWm1E_KKhE or this ......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Kh7nLplWo

Sorry I could not re buy a game that is RE HASHED content again,Oh as for the STEAM BF3 rumor that is because Sapphire promotion had Steam in the sentence instead of Origin ,Yeah lazy copy paste works there, get over it not on STEAM gee-sh .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=y3Z2MP8vMWU

Ah re hers the updated page that was not a copy paste of the old Bad Company Vietnam page with the Steam section cut out....And you wonder where the It is coming to Steam rumor came from

Thank you for your purchase of SAPPHIRE HD 6970 Battlefield™ 3 Special Edition! Your purchase is eligible for a free* copy of Battlefield 3. Please note: You can only get the game code if you have purchased a SAPPHIRE HD 6970 Battlefield 3 Edition graphics card.

Follow the steps below to request your code:

1. Join SAPPHIRE Select Club (SSC) or log in if you’re already a member.
2. Register your graphics card by clicking on ‘Register My SAPPHIRE Product’.
3. Click on ‘Get it Now’ below.
4. Your code will be sent to the email registered to your SSC account. Please make sure to white list the @sapphiretech.com and @sapphireselectclub.com domains to ensure that your code doesn’t go into spam. Offer expires 11:59PM EDT April 30, 2012. Please ensure that you download your game before this date.

For any questions, please contact us.

*Full terms and conditions will be sent with game code to the email registered to your SAPPHIRE Select Club account. ©2011 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2011 EA Digital Illusions CE AB. Battlefield is a trademark or registered trademark of EA Digital Illusions CE AB in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved. EA and the EA logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
they shouldnt be charging $60 for a 'basic' game. since you havent played many of the CoD games (been there since CoD1 - GO MEEE!!!!) then you wont recognise that more then just a few of the maps that you get in DLCs are just reskins with a few tweaks.

why pay for content that youve already payed for in the previous games??? Its not the first time Ive seen 'Brecourt' get rehashed from CoD1 - Brecourt is still there as a reskin with some minor tweaks and adjustments here and there.

thats why I dont buy DLCs very often.
Activision dont put any effort into what they do, why should we reward them for it by buying their game or DLCs?

So I dont buy or play their games....however I will still be 'borrowing' their game for the SP campaign but that as far as it goes for me.

- my personal opinion of course. I wont buy another CoD.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
that's why i said - have fun playing cod 4 for the 5th year in a row.

System Name RyZen FX
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Okay here is the COD buyers guide Looney Tunes Style Starring Bug,Daffy,Elmer....Watch this closely when the season starts....daffy gets fooled into each season.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=vUv-ivMH34s I can`t resist these,have not seen them in awhile.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
so looking at reviews and the game is getting 9 out of 10s

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
The way I see it in gaming terms,

Infinity Ward and Activision are campers, they are staying in one spot and shooting people in the back while the others try to advance, they also get the most kills and hate every round. :roll:

Although if this is really only a Trilogy then we can expect a pretty bad ass game from IW since they've made so much money out of rehashes.

EDIT: Both IGN and Gamespot gave it the same score as BF3 to prevent fan boy gamers from being discouraged on reading their future reviews, this is my theory.

brandonwh64

so looking at reviews and the game is getting 9 out of 10s

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
To be fair I imagine MW3's singleplayer is way better than BF3 with it's dick 'press random button' episodes.

The MP is however so good that it doesn't matter if MW3 is any good - I don't have time to play it with BF3 at nights and Skyrim coming up to steal my days. I stopped playing MW2 and went to BFBC2 because i felt it was more fulfilling with the fully destructible environments, awesome battle carnage and multiple vehicles.

brandonwh64

To be fair I imagine MW3's singleplayer is way better than BF3 with it's dick 'press random button' episodes.

The MP is however so good that it doesn't matter if MW3 is any good - I don't have time to play it with BF3 at nights and Skyrim coming up to steal my days. I stopped playing MW2 and went to BFBC2 because i felt it was more fulfilling with the fully destructible environments, awesome battle carnage and multiple vehicles.

Its single player is not that great compared to some of the others.

Time to pose a question: how much do reviewers get paid to do their jobs, and how much advertising money comes from the people who put full page ads into magazines?

That said, I will not buy Modern Warfare 3. The only reason I have BFBC2 was because I won it in a contest on these forums.

That said, here are the reasons.
1) 0 changes between games. Everyone enjoyed Grand Theft Auto. It evolved. We now have the gritty story (GTA), and the pointless and violent dicking around (Saints Row). I think we're better of for this evolution.
2) You pay twice for the game. Stat tracking is done by companies for their research, it costs them almost nothing to post these stats for consumers. Companies rarely, if ever, release games that have DLC that is worth the price of the game in a single year.
3) What new maps? Reskinning maps is both time and cost effective. Companies try to pass this off as "new," which irks me to no end.
4) Tea bagging, noobs, and kiddies. These games are embraced by everyone rampantly, whether good or not. I'm tired of listening to people online that complain about cheating, swear someone out because they lack skill, or generally act like idiots. Games are a way to blow off steam, and dealing with an army of vertically challenged trolls is not my idea of blowing off steam.
5) Another shooter, that does nothing new. Blowing up stuff is a catharsis. When I'm good and mellow I need something more. Shooter 8,098,123 may be pretty, but if I want a shooter there are better ones out there. For $10 I can get Painkiller or Serious Sam games. Both labels offer true shooting fun, without the burden of being realistic. Once I'm done, I can move onto Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and the like. MW3 doesn't offer anything special, and it isn't the best at what it offers.

Last edited:
Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Can you guess my gamers tag...

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
it's actually pretty disgusting all those reviews. they can't help but admit they game has not changed in years, but still see fit to give it a 9 or 9.5 . what the hell sense does that make unless they are being paid off?

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
I thought Giantbomb's review was pretty honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Its single player is not that great compared to some of the others.

no, the story is horrible. its all about captain price now, "SCREW PLOT" is basically what its saying.

Every review ive seen so far says the story is forgettable and unsatisfying and confusing

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
it's actually pretty disgusting all those reviews. they can't help but admit they game has not changed in years, but still see fit to give it a 9 or 9.5 . what the hell sense does that make unless they are being paid off?

i think they are. I think with MW2 they were, i remeber reading how Activision paid.

Ive also read that Elite is suffering hard.

Im really on edge though about the game, because my motocross buddies have got it and want me to get it since we have a distance friendship so we talk and stuff through gaming. However, i definitely don't want to spend $60 on this game again.

Im also rethinking about the change in the series. I don't think people want to much change to it because they love they way its kind of evolved into a fun late night non try hard fun game. However, they do need to bring in a new engine for enhanced animations, mechanics, and slight change in the way the game plays