• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI 9500NP / 9800SE Hardmod

JuStAdsor

VGA bios can be restored by booting with an aditional pci card. So It's less error prone :p

JuStAdsor

Palit 9800SE to XT

Palit 9800SE to XT
I've finaly did it. Palit 9800se 128M 256Bits With Samsung 2.8 ms memory to XT
Try this at your own risk.
1. Hardmoded it using a graphite pen.
2. Put ati silencer 1 rev 2 on it
3. Flash with my bios using this command for flashrom 2.40: flashrom -p -sst 0 bios.bin -f

Bios.bin is your bios file.
If you don't use this command the card won't flash because it's locked.
Other thing: if you don't flash this bios, It won't work!!! Simply the card won't boot, and you need an aditional pci card to restore it.

This bios Is set XT default speeds 412/365 and optimized so it will support this speed if you have a silencer on it.
I had to edit several mem settings, because Palit 9800SE mem settings are more agressive then XT.
The reson that this card won't accept any other bios is some sort of code added to bios image, so I had to edit it from original bios.
This one is R360 core (mine) if you wan't one for R350 mail me.
By the way ... Before hard moding and patching the bios I had some sort of checker bord in some games 9some areas) :). Disabling hierarchical z makes them dissapierd. Now I think that it was an error generated by moded drivers, or diferences betwin R360 and R350 cores. .. but must probable from moded drivers :p
But now it's completly gone!!! SO I THINK IT WORTH HARDMODING
And if You have a R360 core THE ONLY WAY TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF IT IS HARDMODING!!!
Just flashing the bios and installing Omegadrivers to patcht to XT WON'T work!!! I've already tried.. for example: I fist flashed the bios, installed omega drivers to XT.. Resulting benchmark in 3dMark2003 was with 400/365 ---- 5890 PCT .. After I've hardmoded it and flashed my bios the score for 380/320 was 5950 pct. Take a good look at frecvencies :p :p :p
I've spend 1 hour trying to unlock it with graphite pen. If intersted.. I'll make a post how to doit :p
The reson that this metod isn't so known for 9800se cards is that the surface is mutch like writing on glass :p

By the way on XT bios, 412/365 I've scored 6500pct in 3dmark2003 :eek:

Attachments

• nice.JPG
    nice.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,149
  • bios.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:

hamish72

His Aiw 9800 Se

I just completed the hard mod and bios flash all worked perfectly thank you
Havent benchmarked it but every thing shows 8 pipe lines with no artifacts

g0dM@n

I just did the hardmod to my PowerColor 9500np with 3.6ns infineon.

Which bios should I now flash it to?

I looked in the list and found the appropriate PowerColor 9500np 3.6ns infineon bios, but I'm supposed to download the 9700np bios to ensure that my hardmod works correctly, right?

I only see a 3.3ns powercolor 9700np bios... I don't see a 3.6ns one.

Which bios should I use?

gman

1. Have all ati 9800SE 256bit 2.8 samsung a R360 core?
2. What about 9800PRO? Have all 9800PRO with 2.8ns a R360 core?

gman

i don't own such a card. i want to buy a 9800SE or 9800PRO so that i can mod it into a XT. i need a R360 for this and i want to know what should i tell the guy from the computer shop.

gman

i want to know what's the chessboard effect. when does it occur and how do you fix it?

Last edited:

pham_nams

what do you use to connect 2-3. It is too small to touch. Can I use a pencil ?

g0dM@n

I guess no one visits here anymore cuz we haven't had our questions answered. The softmod on my 9500np was successful, so I moved onto the hardmod.

Now, my 9500np is artifacting like crazy no matter what. A cap fell off when I was trying to take the stock HSF off. I didn't even touch it... it was on the other side of card by PCI Slot bracket... it didn't really break off so to speak. It just fell off the solder points cleanly. I tried to solder back on and the solder pad on the PCB came out... I guess I'm S.O.L. :( I don't know if it's the hardmod or the cap that is causing the problems, but I feel strongly that it's the cap for some reason... since it may not be back on right.

I also bought a PowerColor 9800se L-shaped. I decided this time that I wouldn't hardmod, and just stick with softmod. I did the softmod and got green checker effects when 3dmarking... looks cool, but I guess that meant it wasn't softmoddable.

Put me down for 2 unsuccessful mods!! I've currently flashed and unlocked two nvidia 6800s, six X800GTO²s, and one Connect3D X800GTO. Looks like the 9500/9800 series of cards are not my game anymore!

Jakell

I have just bought a strange beast of a 9500 np. For a start it was purchased as a 128mb card and the sticker confirms this. the memory chips are in an L-shape and are on both sides, however they are of different manufacturers (Samsung 3.3 on one arm of the L. and hynix 3.3 on the other side of the L). This configurqation tells me that it is a 128mb 256bit card (hooray!).

However, ATITool Rivatuner and windows hardware inf. inform me that this a a 64mb 128bit card (boo!). so i am puzzled as the hardware layout seems to indicate a 128 mb card.

my question is this... could the bios information be incorrect and be giving out the wrong info to these progs. Is there any way of definately confirming the memory for sure?

one positive point... I can definately open up the extra 4 pipelines so all is not lost

g0dM@n

Jakell said:
I have just bought a strange beast of a 9500 np. For a start it was purchased as a 128mb card and the sticker confirms this. the memory chips are in an L-shape and are on both sides, however they are of different manufacturers (Samsung 3.3 on one arm of the L. and hynix 3.3 on the other side of the L). This configurqation tells me that it is a 128mb 256bit card (hooray!).

However, ATITool Rivatuner and windows hardware inf. inform me that this a a 64mb 128bit card (boo!). so i am puzzled as the hardware layout seems to indicate a 128 mb card.

my question is this... could the bios information be incorrect and be giving out the wrong info to these progs. Is there any way of definately confirming the memory for sure?

one positive point... I can definately open up the extra 4 pipelines so all is not lost
I don't know that much, but I can sure tell you that I've NEVER heard of any 64mb 8 pixel pipeline video card, of any manufacture/model.

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
ahhhh oldschool. :)