• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Barebones PC Ideas

gto78

Processor AMD 3500+
Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Cooling stock
Memory PNY Optima 2 X 1GB 2.5-3-3-8 1T
Video Card(s) ATI X1950 Pro stock
Storage Raid 0 Maxtor ultra 133 327GB total, & Seagate U320 18GB
Display(s) NEC 19"
Case some huge chieftec thing with easy pop out drive bays and glass door
Audio Device(s) built into Mobo
Power Supply who knows- 550 watt
Software xp Pro and win2k
I'm thinking about building a few barebones PC's for a few of my friends who like games like BF2 and Farcry etc. What I'd like to know is- what motherboards do you guys prefer as far as price, what video cards, and memory types, and how much would you pay for a "barebones" system?

With the sudden drop in AMD prices I'm thinking of going that route but the new Intel Core 2 Duo is getting a lot of free popularity in it's advertising. Also as far as cooling goes, am I better off with any particular case or should I get a cheap case and modify it myself and install a large diameter quiet fan etc? I'm trying to spend less but build it with LOTS of potential for overclocking and upgrading. My thought is that I need a strong mainboard and cpu, the rest of the system can be personalized later on.

Your thoughts/links/ideas?

Thanks

Joe

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
hey joe, give these guys some dollar figures that you are looking to spend on this endeavor,and I'm sure thesse guys will link you to some quality merchandise at good prices!

gto78

Processor AMD 3500+
Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Cooling stock
Memory PNY Optima 2 X 1GB 2.5-3-3-8 1T
Video Card(s) ATI X1950 Pro stock
Storage Raid 0 Maxtor ultra 133 327GB total, & Seagate U320 18GB
Display(s) NEC 19"
Case some huge chieftec thing with easy pop out drive bays and glass door
Audio Device(s) built into Mobo
Power Supply who knows- 550 watt
Software xp Pro and win2k
I'm thinking of total cost under $900? Not sure these days what people like to spend, but I know for myself I can't seem to make one big lump payment on a system. I was going to come up with a few variations and choices, and show them to some guys I work with to see if they're interested in me building it for them (for a small fee of course).

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
for what a good amd costs u might as well get a E6300 core 2 duo m8 with a cheap board and memory and still beat the amd even a cheap mobo can come with some overclocking abilitys nowa days

Last edited:

Sovereign

System Name "The Gateway Donation"
Processor Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-34, 1975 MHz (9 x 218) (1MB L2)
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo3-FSR (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGR, 2 DDR DIMM)
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO + Various 80mm Case Fans
Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM, Hynix & Nanya Chips)
Video Card(s) MSI HD2600XT 256MB GDDR4 Diamond OC Edition PCI-E x16
Storage Maxtor 6E040L0 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Display(s) Princeton LCD1950 19" 8ms Digital LCD (1280x1024 @ 75Hz)
Case Gateway (2000) Beige P150 ATX MidTower Case
Audio Device(s) Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 "SuperQuad" Audio
Power Supply HEC Orion 500 watt ATX Power Supply
Software Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/ SP2
Benchmark Scores SuperPi 1M @ You don't even want to know! ;)
It all boils down to this ; Most people here are going to give you their opinions, whether it be good or bad, they are just opinions for the most part. The thing you need to realize that there are alot of good choices out there, AMD - Intel, ATI - nVIDIA, ect ect. Just go with what you feel most comfortable with, reguardless. Just because a well known company puts out a product, dosen't mean a lesser well known company dosen't have or make a simular product of equal or sometimes better quality!

For example, most people wouldn't recommend an ECS brand motherboard, just because it isn't consider among the elite companies. ECS has for years made solid, no-frills motherboards that do the job and keep on tick'n. I used ECS as an example, not a recommendation as this rule applies to many situations and products.

In the end, use your own head and decide for yourself what you like and what you think best, most of the time it's going to be a decent choice, even though some others may not approve because it isn't 1337 enough! From this point on, you re probably going to hear people say "you must get nVIDIA..." "you gotta go with ATI" "make sure its a new intel core 2 duo chip..." blah blah ect ect. Like I said, it's all about opinions and not necissarily the best overall choice.

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
It all boils down to this ; Most people here are going to give you their opinions, whether it be good or bad, they are just opinions for the most part. The thing you need to realize that there are alot of good choices out there, AMD - Intel, ATI - nVIDIA, ect ect. Just go with what you feel most comfortable with, reguardless. Just because a well known company puts out a product, dosen't mean a lesser well known company dosen't have or make a simular product of equal or sometimes better quality!

For example, most people wouldn't recommend an ECS brand motherboard, just because it isn't consider among the elite companies. ECS has for years made solid, no-frills motherboards that do the job and keep on tick'n. I used ECS as an example, not a recommendation as this rule applies to many situations and products.

In the end, use your own head and decide for yourself what you like and what you think best, most of the time it's going to be a decent choice, even though some others may not approve because it isn't 1337 enough! From this point on, you re probably going to hear people say "you must get nVIDIA..." "you gotta go with ATI" "make sure its a new intel core 2 duo chip..." blah blah ect ect. Like I said, it's all about opinions and not necissarily the best overall choice.

I have to agree with Sovereign here. Asus is considered and "Elite" company, yet alot of their products suck. Where as ECS and Biostar are considered to be crap, yet they make very nice stuff.

Joshmcmillan

System Name Commander
Processor Intel i3 540 3.06Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
Cooling 4x 80mm Case Fans, Zalman ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller, Stock CPU Cooler
Memory 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x 2GB) - Kingston
Video Card(s) HIS ATi Radeon HD3850 256mb DDR3
Storage 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black
Display(s) 22" BenQ FP22W LCD, 700:1, 5ms, 16:10
Case Don't know exactly, metal, built on LED's.
Audio Device(s) Integrated - Altec Lansing 5.1 Speakers (6.5" Sub)
Power Supply Antec True 550W, 24 AMP on 12v rail
Software Vista Home Premium 64bit - AVG - Spybot
Here is an idea:
AMD Athlon X2 3800+,
ASUS M2M,
Case,
550W PSU,
DVD Burner,
1gb ddr2 667 ram with 2x512 sticks so u can hav dual channel.

The ASUS M2M has an intergrated Geforce 6 but if you wanted for still way less then $900 if you bought online you could get something like a Geforce 7600GT. Basicly what my computer is and I have a small budget, having no job and going to school. Except I am using the Geforce 6 for a while. I think that would run pretty much all games nicely if you got the 7600GT aswell as being a fair bit less then $900 if you bought online.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Integrated graphics is not an option for gamers. The 7600GT is really cheap now and you might be able to find a x1950pro or a 7900gs for like $130-150 (not sure about US prizes though..)?

Anyhow, they need monitors too, right?