• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3: "Retailer-Specific Pre-order DLC" Boycott

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
that would be a terrible idea, IMO. for instance i bought dirt 3 through steam. dirt 3 uses games for windows live. so i have to run steam and have games for windows live up to date and running in the background while i game. now, if codemasters had their own digital distribution portal they would probably use something like their own games for windows live to control piracy, etc. development/production companies DONT want to spend their own resources on distribution so they outsource to steam. now, a retailer like gamestop may be able to pull something similar off but i dont see them charging any less for games bought online than bought in store.

This is the problem I see. If everyone starts their own distribution platform, I'm stuck making a dozen accounts and running a dozen different unnecessary programs in the background. Steam benefited heavily from being the first to the game, by a number of years at that. There are almost no PC gamers that don't have a Steam account with a number of games. On top of that, the community loves Steam. Sure, it wasn't always as good as it is now, but I would not want to replace it with something from EA, or Activision, or Gamestop, just so they can pocket more money while simultaneously expecting me to pay more for inferior products.

GFWL is basically the same thing as Origins from what I see, and that sucks, so I assume Origins is the same way. Another cumbersome unnecessary digital distribution platform that I am uninterested in getting into. I have a GFWL account from when I bought Bulletstorm., and god is that program awful. The fact is, Valve went all-in with Steam, and they still to this day offer an exceptional experience, where as most people encroaching on their business platform are doing it solely for more money.

System Name Quiet Gaming PC v5
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 (rev. 1.2)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE Rev. C
Memory 2x16GB TeamGroup Vulcan Z Red DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT 309 RX 6700 XT
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe // TeamGroup MP34 4TB NVMe // Crucial MX100 512GB
Display(s) MSI G27CQ4 E2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard MKPlus Slayer M3 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
This is the problem I see. If everyone starts their own distribution platform, I'm stuck making a dozen accounts and running a dozen different unnecessary programs in the background. Steam benefited heavily from being the first to the game, by a number of years at that. There are almost no PC gamers that don't have a Steam account with a number of games. On top of that, the community loves Steam. Sure, it wasn't always as good as it is now, but I would not want to replace it with something from EA, or Activision, or Gamestop, just so they can pocket more money while simultaneously expecting me to pay more for inferior products.

So basically you're saying you want a Steam monopoly of DD? Hell, let's end retail games and make Steam the sole provider of games. That ought of be fun! Because they would totally not abuse that position of power and rip us off right? Like they already do to their European customers, with their $1 = 1 € crap.

Nah, Steam is awesome, Steam is Father, Steam is Motherland, Steam is God. Must obey.

"It's not Steam I dislike, it's its fanclub that gets me."

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
So basically you're saying you want a Steam monopoly of DD? Hell, let's end retail games and make Steam the sole provider of games. That ought of be fun! Because they would totally not abuse that position of power and rip us off right? Like they already do to their European customers, with their $1 = 1 € crap.

Nah, Steam is awesome, Steam is Father, Steam is Motherland, Steam is God. Must obey.

relax, bud. nobody is saying steam should have a government sanctioned monopoly on digital game distribution. it is just that at this point they do it the best! steam is valve which is a great development company. if any other development company can do it better than steam than you will see consumers jumping over eventually. in business, those that take big risks and win, win big. steam was a HUGE risk and it paid off handsomely. now they are the leader thanks to their early position in the digital distribution industry. they deserve their status as of today. but we will see what the future holds.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
The one thing I appreciate about Steam over all else, is, they maybe the 2nd largest game reseller (behind Gamestop). But they offer deals constantly, I have over 150 games added to my library since last March, and almost all of them have been 50% off or more. There just hasn't been a way to get all these great games at such a great price, lord knows Steam wouldn't even have to offer all these great deals, but they do.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10

I want the best service to get the most recognition. I've used Steam since 2003, and it's only gotten better. All of my friends are already on Steam, almost all of the games I play are through Steam, and I honestly would rather not have it any other way. If European customers are treated differently that's rather unfortunate, I know for a fact Australian customer's get a little screwed, but I think there are reason's potentially outside of Valve's control for that.

As for your whole 1984 / Brave New World* mantra, shove it. I'm not worshiping the software, just giving it credit and criticizing clearly inferior services. You have such an issue with Steam? Go have fun on Origins. Nobody is preventing you personally from switching if you think it's an equally viable option. But when you're paying $60 again for a game you already bought through it, because their downloads are only valid for 1 year (it's in their ToS), let me know how that worked out.

* - I understand there is a huge difference between the two, but was using them as a pro-government dystopian standard.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
what the hell is the point of boycotting this? I dont see anything wrong with it.:shadedshu

truth be told if you're refering to the op neither do I, I find it no different than a collectors edition, etc.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

I am glad you finally see the light. Better late then never.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Well just announced that the Warfare pack will unlock for everyone at a later date, boycott over. I figured it would work like that, people just panicked and started looting like the world was over. As always, when in doubt.... panic!

Chosen Juan

Processor Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Professional P67
Cooling Xigmatek Aegir
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill RipJaws X DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Storage Crucial M4 64GB SSD (Boot) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 22"
Case Corsair 600T Special Edition White
Power Supply Corsair HX850 Modular
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
truth be told if you're refering to the op neither do I, I find it no different than a collectors edition, etc.

The main gripe that people had problems with was the fact that they were offering weapons as a pre-order bonus, which could possibly affect gameplay in multiplayer. If they were only "gold" guns or something similar, I doubt many people would have reacted. But the fact that they were exclusive weapons that could affect multiplayer made people complain. In addition to that, at the time of the boycott the Physical Warfare Pack was only announced in the UK if you pre-ordered, so at that time many people thought if you lived somewhere else (US, etc.), then you would miss out on the weapons.

It didn't affect me as much as the boycotters did, but it did bother me a little bit at the possibility that someone in the UK could have a suppressed SKS sniper rifle because he pre-ordered, while I could not have that weapon suppressed because either 1) I did not pre-order or 2) I do not live in the UK. Regardless, I was going to get the game anyway.

Either way, it seems that they've fixed the problem by releasing the Physical Warfare Pack to everyone at a later date.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
The main gripe that people had problems with was the fact that they were offering weapons as a pre-order bonus, which could possibly affect gameplay in multiplayer. If they were only "gold" guns or something similar, I doubt many people would have reacted. But the fact that they were exclusive weapons that could affect multiplayer made people complain. In addition to that, at the time of the boycott the Physical Warfare Pack was only announced in the UK if you pre-ordered, so at that time many people thought if you lived somewhere else (US, etc.), then you would miss out on the weapons.

It didn't affect me as much as the boycotters did, but it did bother me a little bit at the possibility that someone in the UK could have a suppressed SKS sniper rifle because he pre-ordered, while I could not have that weapon suppressed because either 1) I did not pre-order or 2) I do not live in the UK. Regardless, I was going to get the game anyway.

Either way, it seems that they've fixed the problem by releasing the Physical Warfare Pack to everyone at a later date.

teh meh, I've never yet seen a downloadable weapon pack that actually changed the gameplay. Not in any fps I've ever played. I't not like they gave them an ultralight mini-gun with unlimited ammo and that never overheated.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
EA pre-order bonuses and DLC can be ridiculous.

you can buy XP in various titles, you can buy unlockable content that is FREE, pre-order bonus cars in Need for Speed that are overpowered, pre-order bonus armor in Dragon Age and Dead Space that is overpowered. you get the point.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I am now mildly concerned about this origins-exclusive crap that came up in the Crysis 2 Steam removal thread.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled

They never said it was exclusive to my knowledge, people just assumed it. To make what I would assume be the only suppressor for the Recon class specific to that wouldn't make a ton of sense. Just like Pre-orders for BC2, Gamestop had the AKS-74u, and other shops had other guns, but no matter who you were, you unlocked them eventually by gather points. Just through those retailers you had it at level 1.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Well just announced that the Warfare pack will unlock for everyone at a later date, boycott over. I figured it would work like that, people just panicked and started looting like the world was over. As always, when in doubt.... panic!

Yeah I was right.

Its your Mama
Its your Daddy
Its that n$%^a, in the alley
Its your doctor, when in need
Want some coke? Have some weed
You know it as your friend
Your main boy, thick and thin

Steam's your Pusherman.
Steam's my Pusherman.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Yeah I was right.

Its your Mama
Its your Daddy
Its that n$%^a, in the alley
Its your doctor, when in need
Want some coke? Have some weed
You know it as your friend
Your main boy, thick and thin

Steam's your Pusherman.
Steam's my Pusherman.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit

TheMailMan78

Big Member

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
<puts a Hello My Name is: YODAWG tag on her chest>

New Jack City was such a good movie.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
How did a Curtis Mayfield reference spark video posts about Ice-T??

And Steppenwolf makes the Pusher seem too evil to be a Steam parallel.

TheMailMan78

Big Member

Chosen Juan

Processor Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Professional P67
Cooling Xigmatek Aegir
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill RipJaws X DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Storage Crucial M4 64GB SSD (Boot) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 22"
Case Corsair 600T Special Edition White
Power Supply Corsair HX850 Modular
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
They never said it was exclusive to my knowledge, people just assumed it. To make what I would assume be the only suppressor for the Recon class specific to that wouldn't make a ton of sense. Just like Pre-orders for BC2, Gamestop had the AKS-74u, and other shops had other guns, but no matter who you were, you unlocked them eventually by gather points. Just through those retailers you had it at level 1.

Yeah true, they were mainly assumptions. It's just that when it was announced it was only announced for the UK, and they did not specify if it was going to be released at a later date or not. If they announced it saying it would be available for pre-orders in all regions, and that it would be available to everyone at a later date, then I doubt this would have escalated to that level that it has.

Either way, I'm not really a fan of DLC. I feel like it's just a way to get people's money. I'm not exactly talking about pre-order bonuses, but content like maps etc. for games across the board. Many games aren't even released yet and there is already DLC ready to be sold. For me personally, it just feels like I'm only getting part of the game unless I buy the DLC. As a company though, they are making money so why not.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Yeah true, they were mainly assumptions. It's just that when it was announced it was only announced for the UK, and they did not specify if it was going to be released at a later date or not. If they announced it saying it would be available for pre-orders in all regions, and that it would be available to everyone at a later date, then I doubt this would have escalated to that level that it has.

Either way, I'm not really a fan of DLC. I feel like it's just a way to get people's money. I'm not exactly talking about pre-order bonuses, but content like maps etc. for games across the board. Many games aren't even released yet and there is already DLC ready to be sold. For me personally, it just feels like I'm only getting part of the game unless I buy the DLC. As a company though, they are making money so why not.

The games still half a year away, just like they have said we get Karkand free, but we don't even know when. It would make sense to make assumptions once that Warfare pack had gone global, but being only in the UK so far, too assume a lot of info about it doesn't makes sense, because, how much sense would it make to give Brits the Warfare pack and no one else?

I do agree with DLC being am money grabbed, but BC2's system hasn't bothered me at all. Vietnam brought a lot to the table, I don't personally enjoy it, but I have enjoyed BC2 so much I don't care that I spent $15 extra on it. Then the rest of the maps being free for me hasn't been an issue, only bites you if you buy the game used.