• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BEST CPU u can buy to oc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
a succesful pwn @ that

Silverstone

Dippyskoodlez said:
Well, seeing as oskar works on both bios...

and suddenly the ati mobo, it "works"? but the DFI is yet to see a bios update?

:confused:

1+1 is not 3.

Until you show us benchmarks showing taht it is infact cas 1.5, your arguement is null.

I have to agree with dan- theres no way its gonna work, tyhe way things are looking... and I doubt it would have a tangible performance boost anyways...

I love how people with absoluetely no knowledge of the subject area argues about something a somewhat reputable, yet still very error prone, and a beta board, says, versus hard evidence, multiple veterans, and even the source itself...

and also feels like they "owned" someone... "owning" someone is like them trying to send you a virus, and you infecting them with it, and getting their name, address, and phone number... and e-mail password...

The ATI Crossfire is a DFI board....Who is this AnanTech person you quote? I linked you to Anandtechs review which backs my statement up.

No knowledge of the subject matter? Like YOU know me?

I have a world benchmark record at Futuremark, THEY KNOW ME & my email address.

Gibbo & Macci know me....You know NOTHING.

My former nic a few yrs back was T_Bird

I really notice how the board members back up Dippyskittles, a guy who can't compose a coherent sentence and has the audacity to question me & Anandtech....Check yourselves, you're all noobs.

Ive been rockin & clockin for 6 yrs. Many rigs.

Silverstone

To DFI's credit, many of the features of their new RDX200 board seem to be geared toward an understanding of what it will take to succeed with their new ATI chipset motherboard. Crossfire dual-video is on the board, but the emphasis is on performance and features. DFI lavished all the adjustments and tweak options of their nForce4 board on the RDX200 and then went even further. Oscar Wu found out how to make 4DS DIMMs run at 1T Command Rate and launched that solution with this board. He also claims that he has a working CAS 1.5 on the ATI motherboard, and the options for CAS 1.0 and 1.5 are available in the BIOS. Memory voltage extends to 4.0V, so any memory is supported, but this is done without special jumpers or a heat-producing work-around.

DFI firmly believes that these new options, combined with a chipset designed for the enthusiast, will be enough to persuade many buyers to move to the RDX200. So the board is not a value board. This 6-layer design will set the buyer back over $200. Is DFI on target - does the LANParty UT RDX200 have what it takes to win in the market? We will try to answer that question in our closer look at performance, features, and overclocking abilities of the DFI LANParty UT RDX200.

Silverstone

DFI took many of the excellent overclocking features of the landmark ATI Crossfire Reference board and added their own unique mark in the final mix. This is the first time that we have seen 4 double-sided DIMMs able to operate at 1T, and it also works using either 1GB or 512mb DIMMs. We don't know how DFI achieved this impossible task, but we can tell you that it works, and the performance boost is very real. The DFI also has a working CAS 1.5 option in the RDX200 BIOS, which is also a first on the AMD Athlon 64 platform.

Buyers are still amazed at the incredible array of tweaking adjustments and voltages on the DFI nForce4 motherboards, and we can only say that the ATI chipset version is even better. Voltages still go to 4.0V to support any memory that you can buy in any overclock situation, but this ATI version has even finer granularity and there is no need for a jumper to draw off the 5V line. Memory control options are even better than the nForce4 version, with DRAM drive strength options from 1 to 15 (1 to 8 to support 2 DIMMs and 9 to 15 for 4-DIMM control).

Some of the new performance options required some compromises on the board. For instance, the highest clock that we could achieve was 305 instead of the 318 that we saw on DFI nForce4, but that is an acceptable tradeoff for the incredible 4DSx1T performance option. All-in-all, the DFI LANParty UT RDX200 has the aura of being a more refined overclocker's board than the outstanding DFI nForce4 boards. Part of the reason for this is ATI's own excellent Reference design, which had already refined many of the most desirable features from an enthusiast and overclocking point of view. The overclocking features work, very smoothly, and without surprises, which can only be a good thing if you are an enthusiast.

While we have no complaints in the performance area or in the overclocking options and controls, we do have some complaints in the features area. It is a total mystery why DFI chose to add the Silicon Image 3114 SATA1 controller to a chipset that lacks native SATA2 support. With a SATA2 controller, buyers would only have to forgive less-than stellar USB performance on a board that is absolute tops in every other area. With the 3114 choice, there will be too much to forgive for some users. Certainly, neither SATA2 nor the zippiest USB are critical to most enthusiasts and those buyers will find everything that they want in the DFI RDX200. However, if these features are very important to you, you will have to add controllers or look elsewhere.

Last, there is the choice of southbridge. The SB450 is out of date as it launches, missing both SATA2 and NCQ support, and showing USB 2.0 performance that is not really competitive. Otherwise, it is plenty fast and capable, but you shouldn't have to make excuses with a chipset as otherwise capable as the Rx480. The good news is that SB600 will fix these somewhat minor failings and is a pin-compatible drop-in for SB450. The better news is that the ULi M1575 southbridge fixes those issues today and is an available option for ATI chipset motherboards. The DFI RDX200 would have been close to ideal with the M1575 features and performance.

In looking at the larger picture, ATI has to be extremely pleased that a high quality ATI RD480 motherboard is finally on the market. This DFI RDX200 is a superb board for the overclocker, whether they will use air, water, or phase-change cooling. This board, like the ATI Crossfire Reference board, was designed to be pushed to the limits. This means that the talk and speculation is over, and NVIDIA does have a worthy AMD chipset competitor in ATI. In fact, ATI is showing that it can cater to the AMD enthusiast with options and performance that will set the tone for future AMD chipsets.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Ok people, now lets keep this calm and without flaming... If there is flaming, this thread will get closed, so keep it friendly.

After a while of searching, I have not found a single benchmark for the DFI RDX200 board running a CAS 1.5 (if you find a benchmark, please post it). However, every article on the RDX200 states it has a claimed working CAS 1.5 option. Now they said that before on the NF4 boards as well, and it never showed any difference at all. The option was there and would set, but never had any performance increase. It could be the same for the RDX200, or it may work.

There have been plenty of documents, from AMD saying they do not support a CAS 1.5 option. Remember that the memory controller is in the cpu itself, and not the motherboard. But they also said it was impossible to run 4 modules of PC3200 at 400MHz and 1T. It seems that the RDX200 can do this, but not entirely stable in some cases.

At the moment, there is no proof (that anyone can present here) that shows this board CAS 1.5 option shows any performance increases. This doesn't mean it does not work, but does it do anything? (same as in the NF4 case). Until this can be proven, stop this little war that is going on... I am sure there are plenty of people that want to know the answer to this, I for one, so lets not ruin by fighting.

-Dan

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Silverstone said:
The ATI Crossfire is a DFI board....Who is this AnanTech person you quote? I linked you to Anandtechs review which backs my statement up.

No knowledge of the subject matter? Like YOU know me?

I have a world benchmark record at Futuremark, THEY KNOW ME & my email address.

Gibbo & Macci know me....You know NOTHING.

My former nic a few yrs back was T_Bird

I really notice how the board members back up Dippyskittles, a guy who can't compose a coherent sentence and has the audacity to question me & Anandtech....Check yourselves, you're all noobs.

Ive been rockin & clockin for 6 yrs. Many rigs.

I've been overclocking for 5 years; since I built my first computer. I hold the #2 WR for fastest air cooled athlon XP, so your not the only one that knows how to set a WR these days ;) (2923mhz)

I'd say that records much.... more of an... accomplishment.. than a futuremark record... :laugh:

all noobs? geez man.. you even know what the ALU does inside of a CPU? :roll:

I question anandtechs results because of several reasons that you have yet to prove invalid:

1.) Oskar CLAIMS cas 1.5 working. Anandtech is simply reporting that. DFI also has a similar claim.... for the NF4... Anandtech provides absolutely no actual proof. which leads to the question.... why?

2.) AMD is lacking any support and/or documentation for cas 1.5. They DID make the memory controller after all.
3.) it probably wont be fully stable either. Undocumented is basicly overclocking the memory controller at this point... :wtf:

so please, take a lesson from debate class, and continue arguing, if and only if you have proof to actually back up your claim, and/or prove my arguements wrong.

Until then, there is no cas 1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.