• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bill gates and warren buffet building nuclear reactor in Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

here we go!!! this is what we need if we are ever going to beat climate change... Fusion still seems to be a dream that may or may not happen, these small nuclear reactors make a lot of sense to me. and apparently they can use waste product so no need to bury the waste anymore... I watched the Netflix bill gates documentary and he mentioned that in the documentary. this could be a game changer if it works.

edit: that netflix documentary also said these new designs are extremely safe and failproof safe... plus wyoming doesn't get earthquakes and tsunami's to my knowledge, so all should be good.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
What about the massive volcano known as Yellowstone National Park?

Space Lynx

Astronaut

if the Super Volcano ever explodes, you have more to worry about than a small nuclear reactor meltdown, I promise. if the Yellowstone Super Volcano goes, you are looking at probably half the worlds population dying. so let's just hope that doesn't happen ye?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
The project features a 345 megawatt sodium-cooled fast reactor with molten salt-based energy storage that could boost the system’s power output to 500MW during peak power demand.

So its not a New type of Reactor......:rolleyes:
Sodium's Latin name, 'natrium' :) that will slip past people radar.

When Winfrith AEE (location Dorset England ) was up and running they had up to 9 different Expermental Reactors online
Several were Sodium Salt Designs.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Nuclear is indeed the answer. It's been staring at us in the face for decades, yet the green lobby keep banging on about wind power and other useless technology. :rolleyes: Makes one wonder if they're really on the side of the environment, or if there's a secret agenda.

Depleted Uranium? So this is a breeder reactor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor#/media/File:Sasahara.svg. At least, breeder reactors are the only kind that use depleted Uranium to my knowledge.

The "Pu" elements in the cycle are always a political football. There usually needs to be some kind of discussion on why, or why not, those Plutonium atoms are inaccessible to attackers and/or unsavory countries.

Nuclear is indeed the answer. It's been staring at us in the face for decades, yet the green lobby keep banging on about wind power and other useless technology. :rolleyes: Makes one wonder if they're really on the side of the environment, or if there's a secret agenda.

Nuclear definitely is (part of) the answer, and any environmentalist who disparages nuclear is just one of those idiots who follow the "hype culture" without thinking deeper about the problem. Which... most people fall into this hype trap so whatever. I'm not going to assume an agenda when simple idiocy answers the question, lol.

That being said: the problem with Nuclear is and always be, its a taboo technology. People don't like nuclear because people don't like nuclear. Even if a fast-breeder reactor is of a completely different design than Chernobyl or Fukushima, people will make ignorant comparisons. Still though, for something to get done in this country, it needs to have enough support of the people, so a savvy political game needs to be part of the picture.

----------

This "TeraPower" thing, is it a fast breeder reactor? Or is it some other technology? Its not exactly clear what it is... but that could be just savvy politics in this day and age (The less is known about the tech, the less the idiots have to complain about...).

I think the Depleted Uranium cycle, with the Plutonium, is always going to just be a hard thing to push for politically. A Thorium breeder reactor has no Pu in its cycle, but far fewer Thorium reactors have been built. Any kind of nuclear is a win for me, but too many breeder-reactors have been defeated in the political discussion that its hard for me to drum up optimism.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5

More that humans are fickle and weak-willed, and can't commit to shit anymore without balking at the challenges. People saw Chernobyl and Fukushima and immediately jumped to the conclusion that nuclear will be the death of humanity, instead of asking why Western PWRs are designed differently, or why plants run by other companies within the earthquake zone didn't suffer catastrophic release.

Like this "advanced" reactor in question. Immediately the counterargument is that experts "warn" that it's more dangerous because high enrichment fuels are also more suited to weapons development. Yeah, no shit Sherlock, there's also something called oversight and regulation, maybe that's where to focus attention? People not only becoming risk-averse - they're becoming paranoid. There's a potential problem, so explore solutions.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The project features a 345 megawatt sodium-cooled fast reactor with molten salt-based energy storage that could boost the system’s power output to 500MW during peak power demand.

So its not a New type of Reactor......:rolleyes:
Sodium's Latin name, 'natrium' :) that will slip past people radar.

When Winfrith AEE (location Dorset England ) was up and running they had up to 9 different Expermental Reactors online
Several were Sodium Salt Designs.

It's not a new reactor no, but it is a new design, at least from what I understand of Bill Gates documentary on Netflix I watched last year. It can re-use nuclear waste to create energy, which is a key game changer.

Depleted Uranium? So this is a breeder reactor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor#/media/File:Sasahara.svg. At least, breeder reactors are the only kind that use depleted Uranium to my knowledge.

The "Pu" elements in the cycle are always a political football. There usually needs to be some kind of discussion on why, or why not, those Plutonium atoms are inaccessible to attackers and/or unsavory countries.

Nuclear definitely is (part of) the answer, and any environmentalist who disparages nuclear is just one of those idiots who follow the "hype culture" without thinking deeper about the problem. Which... most people fall into this hype trap so whatever. I'm not going to assume an agenda when simple idiocy answers the question, lol.

That being said: the problem with Nuclear is and always be, its a taboo technology. People don't like nuclear because people don't like nuclear. Even if a fast-breeder reactor is of a completely different design than Chernobyl or Fukushima, people will make ignorant comparisons. Still though, for something to get done in this country, it needs to have enough support of the people, so a savvy political game needs to be part of the picture.

----------

This "TeraPower" thing, is it a fast breeder reactor? Or is it some other technology? Its not exactly clear what it is... but that could be just savvy politics in this day and age (The less is known about the tech, the less the idiots have to complain about...).

I think the Depleted Uranium cycle, with the Plutonium, is always going to just be a hard thing to push for politically. A Thorium breeder reactor has no Pu in its cycle, but far fewer Thorium reactors have been built. Any kind of nuclear is a win for me, but too many breeder-reactors have been defeated in the political discussion that its hard for me to drum up optimism.

a multilayer approach is necessary depending where you live. If you live in Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico you need to be 100% solar and massive solar farms need to be erected there. elon musk can ship batteries from his gigafactories, very nearby proximity.

I buy my vitamins from a company called ProCaps Labs, based in Nevada, they run on 100% solar.

If you live in Wash State maybe a hydro damn or nuclear power of some kind if hydro isn't enough... if you live on the east coast ocean cities and those cities line up with the right currents then massive offshore windfarms make sense, and so on and so forth.

More that humans are fickle and weak-willed, and can't commit to shit anymore without balking at the challenges. People saw Chernobyl and Fukushima and immediately jumped to the conclusion that nuclear will be the death of humanity, instead of asking why Western PWRs are designed differently, or why plants run by other companies within the earthquake zone didn't suffer catastrophic release.

Like this "advanced" reactor in question. Immediately the counterargument is that experts "warn" that it's more dangerous because high enrichment fuels are also more suited to weapons development. Yeah, no shit Sherlock, there's also something called oversight and regulation, maybe that's where to focus attention? People not only becoming risk-averse - they're becoming paranoid. There's a potential problem, so explore solutions.

Agreed 100%, Germany for example with its knee jerk reaction over fukushima was not logical at all. Unless germany's nuclear power plants were built in danger zones like tsuanmi and earthquakes... to my knowledge they weren't. overreactions are sadly common in our species...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I think that'll be a worry well past the plant's expiration date.

So its not a New type of Reactor......
New vs anything America has fielded. Context, dorset. Our reactors are all from like, the 80s at best.

Last edited:

Because when we went after Nuclear in the 70s it got smashed into oblivion by lobbies and over regulated. Regulation in moderation would have kept the ball rolling, but now that it costs billions to even break ground on a reactor nobody wants to push for it. Anyone who knows anything wants nuclear back on the map.

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Finally. Another new nuclear project. Hopefully they can build it on time and under budget for once.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
About time, Nuclear is clean base load and doesn’t destroy the economy where plants and infrastructure already exist.

Natural gas turbines should be phased out, they are loud and dump CO2 out just like coal.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Agreed 100%, Germany for example with its knee jerk reaction over fukushima was not logical at all. Unless germany's nuclear power plants were built in danger zones like tsuanmi and earthquakes... to my knowledge they weren't. overreactions are sadly common in our species...

It's simply insane to me the FUD and double standard that some Westerners believe. In Japan, I can understand those sentiments given the lasting impact of the Tohoku earthquake and it is politically suicidal not to tread carefully after 2011 - but we're not in Japan.

People saw Chernobyl...... and concluded that Soviet BWRs are bad, Soviet politics was bad, and mismanagement was bad. All a reasonable reaction.
People saw Fukushima I/II...... and concluded that nuclear power is bad. :wtf: the human factor wasn't as different as some people think.

Onagawa: The Japanese nuclear power plant that didn’t melt down on 3/11 - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (thebulletin.org)
Learning from non-failure of Onagawa nuclear power station: an accident investigation over its life cycle - ScienceDirect
IAEA Expert Team Concludes Mission to Onagawa NPP | IAEA

I try not to sound too enthusiastic about something that was still making the best of a bad situation, especially when reliable and objective English-language sources on it are scarce. There's a lot of safety measures and upgrades needed even at Onagawa, but some politicians are already trying to jump the gun to get it restarted before then.

Because when we went after Nuclear in the 70s it got smashed into oblivion by lobbies and over regulated. Regulation in moderation would have kept the ball rolling, but now that it costs billions to even break ground on a reactor nobody wants to push for it. Anyone who knows anything wants nuclear back on the map.

I get that there needs to be incentive again to jumpstart nuclear again, but you say that like "regulation in moderation" is a good thing. The stakes are too high to allow for anything less than the strictest oversight, I thought history was clear.

System Name Donnager
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
The larger benefit is that the nuclear plant will help to phase out the remaining coal power that WY uses, all the while giving high paying transferrable jobs from coal to nuclear plant workers.

Natgas is still vital as it produces half the CO2 and none of the heavy emissions that coal does.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Didn't America's only manufacturer of nuclear tech gone belly up after Fukushima? Westinghouse?

Or is this a one off tech specifically built for this project?

System Name Donnager
There's a lot of nuclear startup companies flaunting 4th gen and advanced nuclear concepts. I can't wait for NuScale to show off their prototype in a while.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Low quality post by Space Lynx

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Didn't America's only manufacturer of nuclear tech gone belly up after Fukushima? Westinghouse?

in the documentary on netflix Bill Gates says he had plans to do this current nuclear reactor much sooner, but the trade wars with China that Trump did set him back.

so I am guessing some of the source material is coming from China, but probably not all of it.

Low quality post by mtcn77
but the trade wars with China that Trump did set him back.
Nonsense, the atomic bomb's uranium came from the Soviets, too. That is just another excuse for sjw self-righteousness.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I am curious about this aspect.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I just want to point out the fact anyone can install a wind powered generator or solar power unit on their own property, but portable, personal nuclear is not possible.

Last edited:
Low quality post by mtcn77
I meant technical aspects. Political history is a no-go here.
That is leftist logic. You might have your self righteous superstition, but when the push meets the shove - you cannot get things done and just "word" things. Which has no bearing on real world outcomes.
You are alienating not just from myself, but the whole debate what it means to have private property.
Lol my whole argument is that you cannot overturn private initiative through anonymity, have you got any notion of that?
These are ground truths, not your opinionated perspectives I'm talking about. I made my claim, I laid my basis. Try as you might, I'm well founded.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Status
Not open for further replies.