• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Bitcoin Drops Below the $40,000-mark, Raises Hopes of Graphics Card Availability

We will once Etherium transitions to Proof-of-Stake.
That's just an assumption at this point in time, who knows when another sh!tcoin launches & (GPU) miners won't flock to it? It's essentially free money, for some, so don't bet against this ever lasting tulip crypto mania!

Dux

it goes up and down, and down and up and on and on and on. Just big players manipulating the market to make people panic sell, so they can buy and sell. Before crypto same was done with gold, grain and whatever sells a lot.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Unless I'm really dumb, won't this do nothing for perf/$ for mining with GPUs? No one mines Bitcoin with GPUs now.
Nope, but ETH value is - for whatever reasons - linked very closely to Bitcoin value. If bitcoin crashes and stays low, so will ETH - at least until investors are certain enough that ETH has merits that Bitcoin didn't.

Big swings up and down like this are the nature of cryptocurrency though. I'm still mining and will continue to do so at least until I'm not making profit - and for that to happen bitcoin will need to fall below about $16000 and stay there, dragging ETH down proportionally to around $900. After mining at $900 for a month or two if there's no upturn that is when I plan to stop mining and sell off.

Can I muse for a second here?

With inflation at 7% and BTC crashing, can we at least dispel the myth that BTC is an inflation hedge? Its clear that the cryptocoin community doesn't give a damn about inflation at all.

In 2020, when inflation pulled back to 2% due to the pandemic, BTC grew dramatically. If anything, BTC is inversely related to CPI / inflation. At least over the last 2 years.

It's essentially free money, for some, so don't bet against this ever lasting crypto mania!
Yup. Unless all the free market governments in the world collectively decide to devalue cryptocurrency, this fad isn't going anywhere. If even one country hasn't devalued crypto, you can convert crypto into that country's currency which you can then convert into your local currency.

To be fair, if I had a modern desktop PC I could put GPUs in and earn free money I would too. You'd be a fool to not to.

If anything, BTC is inversely related to CPI / inflation. At least over the last 2 years.
BTC is like pretty much any asset class in the last few years, heck two decades ~ an easy way for millionaires, billionaires to park their money & avoid taxes! The biggest difference here is that even "peasants" can now make millions investing in the right coin, the entry level barrier is almost non existent for crypto which wasn't the case for things like real estate or even stocks to an extent. You tax the heck out of them & see money flee like it did during 2008 bust. Now I'm not saying crypto is bad in that regards, with its allure of riches/anonymity/returns et al but it's just another (giant) manifestation of the evils of the endless supply of cheap money out there! The real tap, that must be closed, IMO is cheap credit/loans & of course sh!t like trillion dollar corporations paying less taxes than the common man :shadedshu:

You tax the heck out of them & see money flee like it did during 2008 bust.

You're saying things that make no sense. Taxes didn't change in 2008 in any way that really mattered. The 2008 bust was a free-market activity. Sometimes, the price of things go up, sometimes they go down.

-----------

Look at any asset class that's actually an inflation hedge.

1642789334604.png

Brent crude oil is a good example. It went down during the lockdowns as people consumed less gasoline, and it goes up during the reopening of the economy.

Now look at Bitcoin's price, or crypto in general. Bitcoin went UP during the lockdowns, as a bunch of armchair enthusiasts had nothing better to do than buy BTC with their savings. And as the economy reopens, BTC seems to go back down as people start spending their money on useful things again (you know, like gasoline)

I'm saying that BTC & essentially all, or at least the major crypto coins, have appreciated this much because of the "free" (or almost free) money out there. The biggest surges across the world in stock markets have coincided with lowering interest rates, increased money supply & one could argue lowering of taxes the world over. The biggest investors in crypto are also the most wealthy on the planet, it isn't all just a happy coincidence!

There's a few things happening across the world, which IMO are absurd but won't change in our lifetimes.

The amount of time we're spending to make our lives "better" or secure is ever increasing ~ that's true for the vast majority of people out there. You could very well say life is cheaper than ever. That's not even a philosophical take on things it's literally that bad.

Consumerism ~ more people are being led to believe they "need" things which in reality they can easily live without. Now it isn't totally the fault of corporations since most adults should be able to resist this itch but then there's this thing called (big) tech which has made it hard to take your mind of such things which in the past we could easily ignore. The cheap credit lines are just a way to ensure the bean counters keep running!

With natural resources being exploited at the rate they are & ever increasing poverty across most places across the globe, plus concentration of wealth at the top, the only way normal people feel they can get out of this never ending cycle of 24*7*365 work/slavery is by becoming rich & quickly! Except they're just perpetuating the cycle.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? The only way to stop the wheel, or break it, is to make all the monies in the world worth less than humans lives ~ now how do we achieve that is the priceless answer!

And as the economy reopens, BTC seems to go back down as people start spending their money on useful things again (you know, like gasoline)
There's probably already a tipping point (or bottom) beyond which BTC won't crash under like it did in the past. Armchair hobbyists/enthusiasts/investors exiting wont make a difference anymore!

Last edited:
Unless I'm really dumb, won't this do nothing for perf/$ for mining with GPUs? No one mines Bitcoin with GPUs now.
While true, ASICs can do the same work as GPUs and do that work better. ASICs are the answer for all future mining. GPUs are not. The writing is on the wall.

I see no end to the intentional volatility of BTC until it's neutered by regulation or other means.
This! I've been saying this for how many years now? Governments need to regulate cryptocoin and be snappy about it.

While true, ASICs can do the same work as GPUs and do that work better. ASICs are the answer for all future mining. GPUs are not. The writing is on the wall.

Business wise, the idea is that they can sell GPUs if the crypto coins ever crash.

ASICs will be fully worthless after a crash. GPUs are supported by a bigger market.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
bahahahhaa ya right

March 2019 I think it was about $4000 and early 2020 was about 8-9k

40k is still quite a bit above that.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Nope, but ETH value is - for whatever reasons - linked very closely to Bitcoin value. If bitcoin crashes and stays low, so will ETH - at least until investors are certain enough that ETH has merits that Bitcoin didn't.

Big swings up and down like this are the nature of cryptocurrency though. I'm still mining and will continue to do so at least until I'm not making profit - and for that to happen bitcoin will need to fall below about $16000 and stay there, dragging ETH down proportionally to around $900. After mining at $900 for a month or two if there's no upturn that is when I plan to stop mining and sell off.
There you go folks, and that's UK std of living. With other places like Kazakhstan, etc. prices would have to drop even lower before not profitable.

You need to go recheck your info. Your whole statement is flawed.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This has already happened more than once with North Korea... Just sayin'

you can't really use north korea as an example as a rebuttal here, as it is a singular example of a puppet nation for China. and that is the only reason we have no power. other situations, and other countries are far more in multitude of the Western Allies freezing their funds to make them comply. you are taking the entire flow of argument out of context due to one puppet nation. we agree to not mess with China and everyone knows this

It takes some impressive mental gymnastics to be as confused and mislead as you are.

so you don't remember USA freezing the billions of dollars from Iran? how about "Mar 5, 2014 — U.S. Freezes More Than $458 Million Stolen by Former Nigerian Dictator in Largest Kleptocracy Forfeiture Action Ever Brought in the U.S.." justice.gov

I can cite at least 15 more if you wish to continue to insult me, enjoy your illusions while they last.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
Do want to be rude but this is written by someone that doesn't know how mining and the mining scene works. NO ONE mines Bitcoin with graphic cards anymore.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Do want to be rude but this is written by someone that doesn't know how mining and the mining scene works. NO ONE mines Bitcoin with graphic cards anymore.

everyone on this site knows that... but everyone here also knows that other coins are mined with cards, in particular ETH, which is then traded for BTC... they all have a symbiotic relationship.

anyways back to sleep for me, this thread is starting to bore me immensely.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Exactly. The bitcoin ASIC boat sailed in 2016, @btarunr
I think you meant the GPU boat, but we all know what you mean. :D
Unless Bitcoin value somehow ties to other coins that can be mined on GPUs, they will remain at unobtainium prices for the average consumer.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
you can't really use north korea as an example as a rebuttal here, as it is a singular example of a puppet nation for China. and that is the only reason we have no power. other situations, and other countries are far more in multitude of the Western Allies freezing their funds to make them comply. you are taking the entire flow of argument out of context due to one puppet nation. we agree to not mess with China and everyone knows this
Ok, what if I told you Iran uses crypto to fund itself too, and that has already been an issue as well?

System Name Ryzen 5800X-PC / RyzenITX (2nd system 5800X stock)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (atx) / 5800X itx (soon one pc getting 5800X3D upgrade! ;)
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER (ATX) / X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi (ITX)
Cooling AMD Wrath Prism Cooler / Alphenhone Blackridge (ITX)
Memory OLOY 4000Mhz 16GB x 2 (32GB) DDR4 4000 Mhz CL18, (22,22,22,42) 1.40v AT & ITX PC's (2000 Fclk)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (ATX) /// AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 (ITX)
Storage (Sys)Sammy 970EVO 500GB & SabrentRocket 4.0+ 2TB (ATX) | SabrentRocket4.0+ 1TB NVMe (ITX)
Display(s) 30" Ultra-Wide 21:9 200Hz/AMD FREESYNC 200hz/144hz LED LCD Montior Connected Via Display Port (x2)
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh (ATX) / Velkase Velka 7 (ITX)
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD ALC1220 codec / Onboard HD Audio* (BOTH) w/ EQ settings
Power Supply 850w (Antec High-Current Gamer) HC-850 PSU (80+ gold certified) ATX) /650Watt Thermaltake SFX (ITX)
Mouse Logitech USB Wireless KB & MOUSE (Both Systems)
Keyboard Logitech USB Wireless KB & MOUSE (Both Systems)
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 - 128GB - Standalone + Oculus link PC
Software Windows 10 Home x64bit 2400 /BOTH SYSTEMS
Benchmark Scores CPUZ - ATX-5800X (ST:670) - (MT: 6836.3 ) CPUZ - ITX -5800X (ST:680.2) - (MT: 7015.2) ??? same CPU?
Mining GPUs are run at a constant temperature, rarely power or temperature cycled, and run far below maximum power. Not to mention the person running the mining card has alot more reason to keep that card in good condition than the average gamer. I would choose an ex-minig card, over a general use card every time without question.
NOT ME!!! Iv bought mined RX 6800XT (used for only 2 months and it failed..... Lickily sapphire RMA did Replace it so i got lucky!1 but yeah ill never buy a GPU taht was used for mining unless and only if said GPU is still under usable warrenty and #2: is very cheap compared to New, @ MSRP or 30-40% Below MSRP or more.... so say my RX 6800XT, is pay $479usd for one used on ebay mined on or not!!! if it works fine ill take it.. but more than 480usd ..no thanks. im just not willing to chance warrenty will/can be transfered or if card is sold as is, no way... if i can return it if it is DOA or failes with on few days of recieving it cool. if not no thanks

WON'T BE PLAYING SQUARE ENIX OR UBISOFT GAMES IN THE FUTURE DUE TO THEIR USE/ACCEPTANCE OF NFT'S.
MY MONEY WILL BE GOING TO INDIE GAME DEVELOPERS, NON-NFT AND NON-CRYPTO GAME COMPANIES.
JOIN ME, HAVE RESPECT FOR YOURSELF, REMEMBER THE JOY OF GAMING FOR GAMING'S SAKE.

I AGREE... but not all ubisoft games are using NFTs, AKA Tom CLancys : The division 1 & 2 Dev/Creative Director, has said we are not using NFTs and or do not plan to use / have NFTs

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2

I'm putting some $$$ aside for when Eth dips that low, not that I want to see that since it affect many other fiat(?) coin