• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Bitcoin Drops Below the $40,000-mark, Raises Hopes of Graphics Card Availability

Fasten your seatbelts trolls, btc is going back below 10k by the end of this year. Thank me later.

I'm putting some $$$ aside for when Eth dips that low, not that I want to see that since it affect many other fiat(?) coin
ETH is going much lower, right now it seems impossible but eth could crash back to below 300 usd, in 2018 eth crashed 95%, so I'd say do not rush to buy it, let it crash and by the way, gpus will become much cheaper than even msrp as crypto crashes because crypto miners will sell as fast as possible any gpus in hopes the loss is manageable.

Last edited:
Fasten your seatbelts trolls, btc is going back below 10k by the end of this year. Thank me later.

ETH is going much lower, right now it seems impossible but eth could crash back to below 300 usd, in 2018 eth crashed 95%, so I'd say do not rush to buy it, let it crash.

The tether money printer needs to collapse before crypto coins collapse in general.

As long as those shady overseas folk keep printing USDT and pretending it is a dollar, crypto coins will remain somewhat stable.

I don't have a problem with cryptocurrency. I have a major problem with people mining it which is the biggest waste of energy and doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't it be more valuable if you have to pay for it rather than mine it? Doesn't mining it devalues its price? With any currency, if you create more than you cause inflation so wouldn't it be in their own interest for these cryptocurrency to not allow mining? I don't understand this stuff.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Don't care either way, but cool trollium crystal ball.

I don't have a problem with cryptocurrency. I have a major problem with people mining it which is the biggest waste of energy and doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't it be more valuable if you have to pay for it rather than mine it? Doesn't mining it devalues its price? With any currency, if you create more than you cause inflation so wouldn't it be in their own interest for these cryptocurrency to not allow mining? I don't understand this stuff.
If no one mined it there'd be no currency in PoW coins. And indeed you don't understand. Crypto release rate is nearly always fixed regardless of how many mine.

The mining with GPU's should have never bin invented, as it brings in completely nothing to the table other then a huge waste of resources. Some mining farms consume more then a complete city in that regards, while now we're at a global crisis in terms of price for electricity. As for BTC it's nothing more then a money laundrey scam as people use it primarily to evade tax but also to pay or run websites that are'nt really legal. Think of things from the darkweb and such. I cant really think of a daily situation in where i would really need BTC.

System Name Whitedevil
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock X670E Steel Legend
Cooling Custom H2O cooling
Memory Gskill Flare5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) Evga RTX 3080 FTW3 ultra
Storage Samsung 980pro, WD black nvme 500gb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, WD3tb
Display(s) Gigabyte g34wqc a / acer xf270h
Case Silverstone TJ11
Power Supply EVGA supernova 1000g+
Mouse Logitech g703
Keyboard Logitech pro
Software Windows 11 x64
im mining for a year now with 2 gpus and already paid for itself, now all the money i earned as long as i have share for electricity bill and full tank of gas a month im going to continue mining lol

Yeah, I don't see that happening.
same thing in 2018, people would have never believed anybody that said bitcoin would crash to 3k after it hit 20k and it stayed at 3k for months, flash crash to below 10k very possible, will see.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Mining GPUs are run at a constant temperature, rarely power or temperature cycled, and run far below maximum power. Not to mention the person running the mining card has alot more reason to keep that card in good condition than the average gamer. I would choose an ex-minig card, over a general use card every time without question.

I see this awful take thrown around a lot, but this is just misinformation thrown around by people who actually own "mining equipment" and is looking to dump these in the hands of unsuspecting gamers at the earliest signs of mild hardware failure, so I suppose it's high time I counter it myself:

1. You cannot seriously believe that every miner is running a well-conditioned environment with AC on 24/7 (aka even higher power bills, especially considering the high heat output of many GPUs working together), this statement is objectively false and almost never the case: GPUs can take heat over time and electricity costs to keep a cryptocurrency farm air-conditioned far exceed the costs of replacing failing hardware itself; this is especially true when you are talking about small-time mining operations where one of those miserable crypto bros bought himself a rig with 12 RTX 3080s and thinks he's buying his way into the metaverse;

2. You cannot seriously believe that every miner is running a heavily optimized power curve; especially in large-scale operations as each individual graphics card's ASIC has its own power characteristics and it is simply impractical to develop custom BIOSes for each and every of them, especially when you are running 1000+ GPUs... Miners do not run Windows, which makes it doubly-difficult to manually test and batch assign each and every GPU to its optimal power curve. Additionally, power cycling the hardware not only is harmless but also occurs eventually even in high-uptime scenarios, servers must restart and receive maintenance periodically which is why failover clustering and backup systems exist;

3. Mining is an exceptionally intensive workload, placing a very high burden on the graphics card's power delivery system and - due to the aforementioned reasons - WILL cause heat damage to the hardware - even if running at an acceptable temperature, you're talking about 100,000+ hours at a constant 80°C+ heat load - goodbye caps, goodbye MOSFETs... memory ICs are particularly sensitive to the heat damage, if you get your hands on a known mined GPU and place it side by side with a new one you will see that there is clear heat damage surrounding the memory area, usually yellowed and sometimes, the plastic packaging surrounding the memory die itself will feel warped... in fact, the GPU ASIC itself is usually the only thing that survives and these have been finding their way into hardware recycling factories in China, resold through unlicensed OEMs that aren't listed in AMD's or NVIDIA's board partner list to unsuspecting customers as new GPUs.

A high profile example recently concerns Afox's RX 580s that have been dumped on third world markets, they are visibly recycled Polaris ASICs with *visible* heat damage (discolored substrate, yellowed epoxy) that are just removed from dead GPUs and reinstalled onto a new PCB. There was a huge commotion over it recently as Latin America's largest hardware channel got wind of it and exposed for everyone to see, at around 5:45 there is an example of what I mean:

It's akin to "okay I am going to buy this mildly used quote unquote high endurance MLC enterprise SSD! They will last a lifetime!" except they've already had PBs of data run through them and their SMART is almost about to trigger, but since it will end up on a Windows system that won't complain until the bitter end, it'll go unnoticed until the final outcome occurs... you know it, I know it, the scalpers know it and the miners know it. It's just average joe gamer that is lured in by the prospect of buying a GPU that has had 95% of its useful life run through at an "acceptable" cost - this is miners double dipping and laughing all the way home after dropping you this big fat çłž.

I could come up with more reasons for one not to buy a mined GPU but it would come down to the single old adage: a deal that is too good to be true most likely is; and that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I also have an environmental conscience to keep clean as an ETH miner, and whilst Bitcoin mining is largely a waste of fossil fuel electricity in places like Ukraine, my own personal rigs aren't weighing on my conscience:

I have an air-source heatpump to keep my home warm and heat my domestic hot water. The house sucks in fresh air from outside and a large (somewhat noisy) compressor in a utility closet takes the warm air from indoors, compressing it further to extract heat in a heat exhanger before exhausting it externally. It's not 100% efficient but every Watt of waste heat ejected by my mining rigs is being compressed and converted into maintaining the temperature of my domestic hot water tank to feed the radiators in each room and, primarily, heat the gallons of water we use to bathe and shower every day.

The alternative, without eth mining rigs is that the compressor has to run much harder, and much longer, with the additional burden of an 8KW immersion heater in the tank.
  • Without ETH mining I spend electricity to heat water using mechanical compressors and electric heater elements in the hot water tank.
  • With ETH mining I spend electricity to mine ETH and warm my home and then reclaim that heat for the hot water tank.
Either way the electricity is being converted to heat, but I choose to do it whilst also making a profit. If I scaled my rigs up beyond four I would have more heat than my home needs for winter and it's already partially wasted in Summer. My annual energy bill is about 40% higher than it was last year, so it's not a perfectly efficient system, but it was also a pretty energy-efficient home in the first place so a 40% increase on that is pretty negligible and I suspect a good chunk of that increase is because COVID-19 has meant that we're all in the home a lot more than we were previously.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
No matter how much bitcoin falls, we will no longer see normal prices on video cards ...
Yeah, add me to this. 3080 level card is probably never again going to be sold for under 1k USD/EUR/equivalent.
I don't want to think about it, but I really don't see it going any other way.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I'd remind TPU that market price has no correlation to mining-profitability in crypto realm, as most miners sell and don't hold, and adaptive diffilculty ensures it remains profitable.

That's simply not true, there is a point when the price can drop so much that it's no longer feasible for most to pay thousands of dollars per card and have a reasonable ROI within sight. If what you claim was true then for example going all the way back to 2017 the prices of GPUs should have never dropped, since according to you the crash that occurred during that period should have had no impact on profitability hence miners would have continued to buy all the cards that were available.

Mining GPUs are run at a constant temperature, rarely power or temperature cycled, and run far below maximum power. Not to mention the person running the mining card has alot more reason to keep that card in good condition than the average gamer. I would choose an ex-minig card, over a general use card every time without question.

Doesn't matter how good the conditions are, keeping a card running non stop will still affect the lifespan of the components.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yeah, add me to this. 3080 level card is probably never again going to be sold for under 1k USD/EUR/equivalent.
I don't want to think about it, but I really don't see it going any other way.
Thing is - FE's are being sold for under 1k.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Thing is - FE's are being sold for under 1k.

Where ? Even if that's true there is such an insignificant amount of FE cards being made it's totally irrelevant.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Where ? Even if that's true there is such an insignificant amount of FE cards being made it's totally irrelevant.
In Europe? Scan, NBB, LDLC. That covers at least 9 countries, more if you play with B2B. Check PartAllert on discord, they've got successful order section.

Dux

Interesting. Crypto price drops, Nvidia responds by raising prices of their founders edition cards in EU.

Capture.JPG

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
  • Haha
Reactions: Dux
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
In Europe? Scan, NBB, LDLC. That covers at least 9 countries, more if you play with B2B. Check PartAllert on discord, they've got successful order section.

I laterally cannot find any FE cards at all let alone one that's under 1K, can you give me a link to one ?

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I laterally cannot find any FE card at all let alone one that's under 1K, can you give me a link to one ?
1642862625646.png

Last drops from all three stores, and that's only for 3080.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
View attachment 233503
Last drops from all three stores, and that's only for 3080.

But this proves my point, the stocks are minuscule, otherwise you wouldn't need to search in obscure discords for proof that they exist lol.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
But this proves my point, otherwise you wouldn't need to search in obscure discords for proof that they exist lol.
Just because you don't try doesn't mean they don't exist.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Just because you don't try doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm not denying they exist but it makes little to no difference to the overall market if 1 out of 1000 products gets sold at a decent price.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
using crypto for money laundering - so hot right now!!!!

same thing in 2018, people would have never believed anybody that said bitcoin would crash to 3k after it hit 20k and it stayed at 3k for months, flash crash to below 10k very possible, will see.
That's an interesting perspective. The market has change in the last few years. Time will tell...