• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD On Power Up

OK tahnks. and I just downloaded v 9.6. What are the steps to install but retain all my settings including having it stat at log on which it does now?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Download, unzip, copy new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder and replace the old version.

If you are using the Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop, the new ThrottleStop will startup exactly the same.

I assume if TS isn't showing up in my Systray, its not running. I've noticed that even when I have it set up to start up with log on, and it does, that hours later I might see no icon in the Systray and it appears to be turned off. Ever encounter this? Automatically shutting itself off?

unclewebb

Task Scheduler Guide

Ever encounter this?
Yes, this is a common problem when the task in the Task Scheduler is not setup correctly. Windows can force ThrottleStop to exit or crash. The icon will disappear from the system tray and ThrottleStop will no longer be running. The Task Scheduler is telling Windows to do this to ThrottleStop. Follow the guide and you will not have this problem.

New issue - for some reason my laptop is getting very hot and experienced new less than 4 blue screen shutdowns (I suspect thermal related) in the past 24 hours. No changes made to TS, using latest version. Took a Windows up date a few days ago but they've never caused issues like this. I've turned it off for today to see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

unclewebb

Windows update
The update you installed can disable ThrottleStop voltage control. Post a screenshot of the FIVR window so I can see your settings.

Windows likes to enable core isolation memory integrity whenever you are not paying attention. Have a look to see if this setting has been recently enabled.

The update you installed can disable ThrottleStop voltage control. Post a screenshot of the FIVR window so I can see your settings.

Windows likes to enable core isolation memory integrity whenever you are not paying attention. Have a look to see if this setting has been recently enabled.
1694789809983.png

Core isolation - memory integrity remains OFF after update

unclewebb

Try following the advice I gave you two years ago.

reduce the core and cache undervolt to -75 mV. My daughter also has the same 8550U in her laptop. It used to be fairly stable at -100 mV but now it is not. There have been no problems for her laptop at -75 mV.

A BSOD is usually caused by a lack of voltage when you are undervolting. Your CPU has proven not to be 100% stable at -100 mV but you are back to using this voltage again. Without adequate voltage, a random BSOD can happen at any time. Your computer might be stable for weeks or months or it might crash multiple times in a day. Don't be so cheap with the voltage.

Notice that it's running very hot all the time for past 3-4 weeks. Anything you recommend to address this related to TS?

unclewebb

it's running very hot all the time
Is the undervolt still working? Post a screenshot of your FIVR settings.

Laptops with U series CPUs tend to have poor cooling and inadequate heatsinks. They run hot. That is normal for most of these laptops.

1695669252965.png

I tend to have a lot of tabs (20-25) open in my Firefox browser if that matters