• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 has an FPS Cap after all

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Players of the Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Beta certainly remember the 90 FPS cap the game was running at. Back then Treyarch promised that for release the FPS cap will be increased (or lifted).

Now we have final confirmation on what the company's plans are, straight from the developer. For the PC platform, the framerate will be capped to 120 FPS, to keep server load at acceptable levels. Over time this limit will be increased to 144 FPS and possibly removed at a later time, if everything ends up being stable. This is quite surprising as this is the first time we're hearing about FPS rates affecting server load.

The official statement is as follows:

Since the framerate affects the load on the servers, we want to ensure that the game delivers a great playable experience for everyone who dives in those first moments.

So, our plan:
  • At launch, we will start Blackout with a 120fps cap on PC
  • Ensure the moment the game launches that it has high stability for every player
  • Raise to 144fps as soon as the servers are stable
  • And assuming all looks good, enable uncapped framerates within the first few days (Zombies and Multiplayer modes will be uncapped starting immediately on day 1.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
This is quite surprising as this is the first time we're hearing about FPS rates affecting server load.
It is not the first time. Client-side FPS rates playing a part on server was a pretty common practice like 15-20 years ago. Everyone abandoned the idea for a number of reasons, server load being one, susceptibility to clientside interference (including but not limited to cheating) being the other.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Zombies and Multiplayer modes will be uncapped starting immediately on day 1

It is not the first time. Client-side FPS rates playing a part on server was a pretty common practice like 15-20 years ago. Everyone abandoned the idea for a number of reasons, server load being one, susceptibility to clientside interference (including but not limited to cheating) being the other.

And a lot of games still get affected by this. Quake Champions and Battlefield are 2 examples. I have 240hz monitor and still cap to 120fps on these games because otherwise Im behind every player and bullets made of paper instantly

It frustrates me how many people complain about this while having no clue what's really happening in the background. This is a good choice by them!
Everyone's gonna jump on COD and TBH they can expect half a million active online players in the first week. Uncapping it would just create problems and make the game unplayable.
Even jumping from 90 (BETA)-120FPS (launch) was a brave step.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It frustrates me how many people complain about this while having no clue what's really happening in the background. This is a good choice by them!
Everyone's gonna jump on COD and TBH they can expect half a million active online players in the first week. Uncapping it would just create problems and make the game unplayable.
Even jumping from 90 (BETA)-120FPS (launch) was a brave step.

Its fine, once they uncap it, the servers are a laggy, unplayable hack fest anyway and the next CoD is on the shelves.

I'll see myself out

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This is quite surprising as this is the first time we're hearing about FPS rates affecting server load.
Yes it would if the tickrate is the same as the framerate. I normally really don't like framerate caps, but I guess this is a reasonable exception.

Its fine, once they uncap it, the servers are a laggy, unplayable hack fest anyway and the next CoD is on the shelves.

I'll see myself out

Hacks on Battle net? How? I´m not being ironic, just a legit question because afaik there are no aimbots for Overwatch or Destiny and people that use them are banned lifetime, if they can even do it. Battle net anti cheat is very aggressive. Steam is a joke tho.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Hacks on Battle net? How? I´m not being ironic, just a legit question because afaik there are no aimbots for Overwatch or Destiny and people that use them are banned lifetime, if they can even do it. Battle net anti cheat is very aggressive. Steam is a joke tho.

I hadn't heard about Bnet's management of hackers before so this certainly sounds good. So if that handles hackers, now the only problem is how long the server populations will thrive. I haven't enjoyed robust CTF populations since MW3 and BO2 days.

I hadn't heard about Bnet's management of hackers before so this certainly sounds good. So if that handles hackers, now the only problem is how long the server populations will thrive. I haven't enjoyed robust CTF populations since MW3 and BO2 days.

TBH I think this might be one of the most sucessful CoDs on PC. Not only because of the multiplayer but mainly because of the Battle Royale. Also the fact it is on battle net will only contribute for it to grow. Proper options and customization, proper performance, proper anti hacking measures. Now let´s see how it goes.