• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can i do this with DFI Lanparty LAN ports?

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I think the few holes for the cables would be the best way and the cheapest for you to get it running :) Have a cable routed up to the first floor, put a switch in, then cable into the loft and back down again for your daughters PC... A little messy with a few holes but a bit of filler and paint will soon solve that :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I've installed well over a hundred of these kits and never had them not work. Even over some shitting wiring, I'm talking knob and tube shit.

Being located on different circuits is not an issue. Being located on physically different power panels is, but not different circuits on the same panel. Part of the trick, and a mistake I see made too often, is people plugging them into surge protectors. Surge protectors interfere with the signal, causing them to perform very poorly or not be able to connect to each other at all. We set up properly, they work, they might not give you the fastest connection, but they will work. And if all you are after is an internet connection where there isn't one because WiFi won't connect, then they will usually always get that job done.

And a lot of the data on the Pros and Cons website you posted is either outdated or wrong. The article is very clearly written by either someone that doesn't actually know what they are talking about or haven't used them extensively. Like they say the adapter blocks the outlet, but there are plenty of adapters on the market today(I linked to one) that are pass-through and don't block the outlet at all. They say the adapters are subject to interference by high load devices, but that was really only an issue with the first generation of adapters and not a problem with adapters today. They also say you can only plug one device into the powerline adapter, which again is false. The reality is you can plug in a super cheap switch into the powerline adapter and plug multiple computers into one powerline adapter.

Yes, that would work with ICS.

They won't work in mdus either, too much area for signal transmission, unless they improved them. I have made non cat 3/5/6/7 non twisted pair work for ethernet, if he has phone jacks pull off at wall and use 2 spare pairs to make the ethernet line with existing inside wiring. Typical U.S. color code is blue orange green brown then red blue lol, blue is used for POTS, orange was a Second pots line but is now used in ethernet with green, brown being a spare.

If he has coax spare he could make a loop from the router to the daughters bedroom and use a HPNA to ethernet adapter.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
looks like i will be drilling holes then. I will put another router centrally upstairs and everyone can wifi to it. Turns out its quite handy changing ISP every year...shiny new routers.

2 things made my mind up

1. leaving a hungry PC on just to act as a relay when an old router will do
2. possible degradation of quality

Thankyou everyone, your input will ultimately save me a lot of time and bother. ( its really going to piss my Wife off though......:roll:..)

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I know people laugh at me when I say I have networked my home, but there are reasons and methods for my madness!! :D Next time tho, more sockets as I'll be using a 48 port switch not a 16..... I find the overkill is strong in me but with everything needing the internet and me really hating wireless (even though it's faster than my home internet!! :( ) I'd still use wired over wireless...

Let us know how it goes @CAPSLOCKSTUCK :)

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
i have 2 networks downstairs as it is,

1. Dyfed/Powys Police Helicopter
2. All town CCTV

dunno what to call the 3rd

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
You obviously need a few more then lol Do you put on different VLAN's or anything or just one big ass network?? :)

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I miss DFI as a motherboard manufacturer for consumers. WTB them back. Id buy them almost exclusively again.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I found a few pics of a socket A (I think) DFI board in my mits.. Over 10 years ago now :(