• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

China Starts Production of Domestic DRAM Chips

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
It's just a matter of time and when they got things right quality will follow the market demand, and yes they will keep producing good and crappy things side by side as both make monies

I just hope this helps drive down the cost of RAM since the demand in China will fall for the global supply.

Can't comment on their quality since we don't have the sticks to test with but I'm sure they'll be fine. Other computer components are assembled in China so I don't see a problem.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
So years of greed from memory manufacturers actually woke the dragon and they are now steamrolling in to the DRAM and NAND market.
:laugh: :laugh: Pure comedy gold right there!

Can't comment on their quality since we don't have the sticks to test with but I'm sure they'll be fine. Other computer components are assembled in China so I don't see a problem.
So you’ve apparently never come accross any of the components that are pure trash, I guess. You have to be very selective with actual China products or you get crap quality. Let’s not even talk about all the bad copies/ fakes on the GPU front.

Well the problem that most people don't seem to grasp is that with moves like these China is not only moving away from relying on Western tech, but also reducing their imports & "patent/royalty" bills. Now sure you could argue this is good for the market, in the short term, as competition will increase & consumers might be happy ~ provided the prices come down. However as with all things China, once they dominate this industry - which they will, with enough backing from the govt. They'll just raise the prices after driving competitors out of business or undercutting them everywhere they can afford to. Prime example - mobile industry, I've said this repeatedly & this story will repeat itself in the future as far as (relatively) simpler IC's like DRAM or NAND are concerned. Lastly, what this move also does is possibly result in major job losses around the world, except - you guessed it, in China! So yeah they're growing at your expense, take that greedy consumers you got what you wished for - just like 3 decades back :laugh:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Well the problem that most people don't seem to grasp is that with moves like these China is not only moving away from relying on Western tech, but also reducing their imports & "patent/royalty" bills. Now sure you could argue this is good for the market, in the short term, as competition will increase & consumers might be happy ~ provided the prices come down. However as with all things China, once they dominate this industry - which they will, with enough backing from the govt. They'll just raise the prices after driving competitors out of business or undercutting them everywhere they can afford to. Prime example - mobile industry, I've said this repeatedly & this story will repeat itself in the future as far as (relatively) simpler IC's like DRAM or NAND are concerned. Lastly, what this move also does is possibly result in major job losses around the world, except - you guessed it, in China! So yeah they're growing at your expense, take that greedy consumers you got what you wished for - just like 3 decades back :laugh:
Nope, I grasp this just fine. I’ve told people for decades China’s going to rule the world...without firing a shot. Their ownership or partial ownership in real estate and business around the world is inescapable. It’s to the point it’s considered normal.

ErnstInEarnest

Hi ALL, i'm a Western educated Asian worked in USA, all over Europe AND China. I'll speak from my 13yrs experience in China.
1. Exposure to MNCs determine the product quality level. I witnessed first hand how professional the Chinese can be IF u demand nothing but the Best. One supplier surprised me with a record Quality Level of 1.3ppm ( over 3 yrs record) while the best Western supplier can managed only 8ppm and 240% more expensive.
2. On the other hand, there are customers expect nothing BUT cut throat pricing, there are hundreds of thousands tiny factories are willing to satisfy your expectation.
3. Chinese are not creative, and LAW abiding culture has yet to established; as a result they all cut corners, moving the goal posts whenever possible.
~~~ Long story cut short, if u are HUGE with BIG orders, source from China is a good idea. If u got no levelage, and the penalty is small, just ordinary consumers, think twice if the trouble worth the saving.

2. Contrary to your belief, i'm absolutely sure this company is not interested in price cutting nor selling to ordinary Western consumers.
~~~ Coz THE MONEY COME FROM GOVERNMENT GRANT! Not from the consumers. This kind of strategically important project easily yield billion in government funding, and several billion in bank loan back by the government, before any product is shipped out.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I just hope this helps drive down the cost of RAM since the demand in China will fall for the global supply.

Yes, components, not the same thing as making ICs. So far, China doesn't have the best track record of making ICs, although they have a few foundries, but most have been generations behind in terms of manufacturing technology. There's a reason why so many Chinese fabless companies manufactures their parts outside of China.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nope, I grasp this just fine. I’ve told people for decades China’s going to rule the world...without firing a shot. Their ownership or partial ownership in real estate and business around the world is inescapable. It’s to the point it’s considered normal.
Inescapable? Far from it. In fact, a lot of countries are cheated by China and have ended up in heavy debt because of it. Sri Lanka is a great example for starters. If people weren't so greedy, a lot of this wouldn't be happening. It's all about greed and money and the world is ending up in more and more debt, much of it which now belongs to China...

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Yes, and leave US/EU stuff closer to end user desitnation!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Inescapable? Far from it. In fact, a lot of countries are cheated by China and have ended up in heavy debt because of it. Sri Lanka is a great example for starters. If people weren't so greedy, a lot of this wouldn't be happening. It's all about greed and money and the world is ending up in more and more debt, much of it which now belongs to China...
What I meant by inescapable is just try and live your life by not buying from a company with any percentage of Chinese ownership or not go into major buildings with Chinese ownership and you will severely limit what you buy or where you go. In other words, it is in every part of life now. Many countries have at least part of their debt owned by China, like you said, which should be alarming.

ErnstInEarnest

哈哈,碰到一个中国通了
I speak and write Mandarin, but it is inappropriate to use a language others can't understand u.
Kan du prata Svenska?

I speak and write Mandarin, but it is inappropriate to use a language others can't understand u.
Kan du prata Svenska?
Going by your HAHA (instead of HEHE in proper Mandarin) and your family name, u are not Chinese but rather Singaporean or Malaysian.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
What I meant by inescapable is just try and live your life by not buying from a company with any percentage of Chinese ownership or not go into major buildings with Chinese ownership and you will severely limit what you buy or where you go. In other words, it is in every part of life now. Many countries have at least part of their debt owned by China, like you said, which should be alarming.
Well, they were willing to invest and greedy corporations grabbed what they could or sold off "unprofitable" divisions or daughter companies to the Chinese in what I'd call an irresponsible manner. No-one stopped and thought about what they were doing. A lot of companies that wanted a slice of the Chinese pie were also all too happy to share their patents with China, as that was a requirement at one point in time.
It's all quite mad, especially as China is still very much a dictatorship and emperor Xi has started to show his true colours over the past couple of years.
Living where I live, you get quite a different insight into things, as it affects you daily life in a much more direct way.
I dread three day when I might have to grab what I can and gtfo of here as quickly as I can, as China had decided they want this island and they're tired of waiting...

Processor Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
Cooling Lepa NeoIllusion RGB CPU cooler
Memory 2*4GB Patriot G2 Series RAM
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage Transcend SSD 740 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SA 300 24" Full HD
Case NZXT Phantom 530 + Bitfenix Recon fan controller
Audio Device(s) Creative SB0770 X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer MkIII 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steelseries Apex RAW
Benchmark Scores IT WORKS
Thanks, but no, just no.
I'm not interested in any kind of memory products out of China, as they simply can't deliver on quality and reliability.

Bad approach. I have already bought random brand Chinese laptop (T-Bao), and I have found the most random SSD I have ever seen (Maiguang Black Gold 400).

And after disassembly of SSD drive it looks like is not even as exotic as I expected. It is just regular SMI controller and regular Micron memory. I don't care if it has Maiguang logo, or Kingston logo, still SMI + Micron inside.

People should understand that many Chinese brands has same OEM manufacturers as regular brands and they are equal in both performance and reliability.

It was really funny when "reviewer" from LinusTechTips explained why not to buy Chinese SSD drive :D There was some performance drops, but they are discussable (I have tested many Chinese SSD and many regular SSD and never saw such big differences in synthetic performance, so these tests looks like a fake ones, but I am not judging, however synthetic performance not always is same as real life tests) and if it really is cheaper (as Linus said, bet real prices are almost the same) slower and cheaper SSD would be really interesting deal. But final explanation sounds like this: Data is the most valuable thing in your PC, that is why you don't want to risk with cheap Chinese SSD. Really? No real reliability issues found and judging by brand? Micron memory is not so reliable in . And don't even try to say that micron make several branches of memory, and lower quality products is given for lower tier manufacturers.

The main problem with Chinese SSDs is that they are using same OEM platforms, that is why they prices are almost the same compared to regular brands. So there is no big deal to buy 42 USD Chinese SSD while regular one costs 45 USD.

BTW some time ago I have found one very interesting SSD drive. It costs same as any budget SSD in the market. However it has MLC memory chips and is much cheaper than regular MLC SSD drives in local stores. So in this case there was ability to choose either Top tier brand TLC drive or Chinese drive based on MLC memory. And it looks like this time buying Chinese drive is a way to get more reliable MLC drive for the same price

ErnstInEarnest

Well, they were willing to invest and greedy corporations grabbed what they could or sold off "unprofitable" divisions or daughter companies to the Chinese in what I'd call an irresponsible manner. No-one stopped and thought about what they were doing. A lot of companies that wanted a slice of the Chinese pie were also all too happy to share their patents with China, as that was a requirement at one point in time.
It's all quite mad, especially as China is still very much a dictatorship and emperor Xi has started to show his true colours over the past couple of years.
Living where I live, you get quite a different insight into things, as it affects you daily life in a much more direct way.
I dread three day when I might have to grab what I can and gtfo of here as quickly as I can, as China had decided they want this island and they're tired of waiting...
I beg to differ.
THE one and only priority is the Party continue to rule China, Formosa? They can wait, unless severely threatened and in dire need to boost their support among the civilians, they will not use their military.
Rather, their insecurity (national security) has led them to the decision of self-containment at any price. With the objective of winning a prolong warefare should one occur. Hence i was saying they are not interestes in selling to the West, at least not in foreseeable future.
~~~ Chinese DRAM flooding the market? Highly unlikely in next 10 years.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Bad approach. I have already bought random brand Chinese laptop (T-Bao), and I have found the most random SSD I have ever seen (Maiguang Black Gold 400).

And after disassembly of SSD drive it looks like is not even as exotic as I expected. It is just regular SMI controller and regular Micron memory. I don't care if it has Maiguang logo, or Kingston logo, still SMI + Micron inside.

People should understand that many Chinese brands has same OEM manufacturers as regular brands and they are equal in both performance and reliability.

It was really funny when "reviewer" from LinusTechTips explained why not to buy Chinese SSD drive :D There was some performance drops, but they are discussable (I have tested many Chinese SSD and many regular SSD and never saw such big differences in synthetic performance, so these tests looks like a fake ones, but I am not judging, however synthetic performance not always is same as real life tests) and if it really is cheaper (as Linus said, bet real prices are almost the same) slower and cheaper SSD would be really interesting deal. But final explanation sounds like this: Data is the most valuable thing in your PC, that is why you don't want to risk with cheap Chinese SSD. Really? No real reliability issues found and judging by brand? Micron memory is not so reliable in . And don't even try to say that micron make several branches of memory, and lower quality products is given for lower tier manufacturers.

The main problem with Chinese SSDs is that they are using same OEM platforms, that is why they prices are almost the same compared to regular brands. So there is no big deal to buy 42 USD Chinese SSD while regular one costs 45 USD.

BTW some time ago I have found one very interesting SSD drive. It costs same as any budget SSD in the market. However it has MLC memory chips and is much cheaper than regular MLC SSD drives in local stores. So in this case there was ability to choose either Top tier brand TLC drive or Chinese drive based on MLC memory. And it looks like this time buying Chinese drive is a way to get more reliable MLC drive for the same price
I'm pretty sure Micron manufactures to a certain level, however, the SSD and DRAM manufacturers bin the chips and the stuff that they don't want to use in their products, tend to end up in China with these strange brands. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Kingstons waste is bought by Chinese DRAM companies that somehow managed to make products out of it.
Also, what kind of warranty do you get from these companies? When my Plextor SSD failed, it was replaced on warranty, no questions asked. I doubt Maiguang would give a crap.

Obviously there are only so many manufacturers of SSD controllers, flash memory and DRAM at this point, but it doesn't mean it's all the same quality or that it all comes with the same level of support from the company that sells you a product (directly or indirectly). You got lucky it would seem, but not everyone's that lucky.

The other thing that happens is that a brand uses a Chinese manufacturer to make products for them and that manufacturer then orders more parts, makes more PCBs and sells them under a different brand. This is very easy to do with SSDs, as most are based on reference designs for the controller manufacturers, so it's not hard to get a firmware either.

A lot of Chinese companies are also very good at laser engraving, so you might actually have ended up with something you think is X, but in fact, it's Y. So be careful what you buy, as so many people have been burned. It's simply a fact that a lot of weird Chinese brands aren't trustworthy. Then again, they also sell plenty of fake goods, such as Sandisk memory cards for half the price in China and they're obviously not the real deal.

I beg to differ.
THE one and only priority is the Party continue to rule China, Formosa? They can wait, unless severely threatened and in dire need to boost their support among the civilians, they will not use their military.
Rather, their insecurity (national security) has led them to the decision of self-containment at any price. With the objective of winning a prolong warefare should one occur. Hence i was saying they are not interestes in selling to the West, at least not in foreseeable future.
~~~ Chinese DRAM flooding the market? Highly unlikely in next 10 years.
You can beg to differ as much as you want, but this is a daily issue for me. If Taiwan continues to elect leaders that are not pro China, it'll happen sooner, rather than later. Why do you think they're working so hard to isolate Taiwan, not only by removing the few allies Taiwan has, but also by making sure Taiwan is excluded from international organisations, having airlines change the "region" to China, Taiwan, etc. ? They want people to think of Taiwan as Chinese property, which is never has been and hopefully never will be.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Debt only matters as long as we're playing nice. What matters in the endgame is what you do with the wealth you've accrued... and China is fast on the way to getting their hands into and onto everything in high level technology. Thát is where the endgame happens. That, and nukes.

Joseph Tan

Kan du prata Svenska?

Going by your HAHA (instead of HEHE in proper Mandarin) and your family name, u are not Chinese but rather Singaporean or Malaysian.
sorry,i have deleted my Mandarin comments last night. My English is way far from fluent,that's why i used Mandarin to express my viewpoint.
Obviously i cannot speak Svenska. BTW are you Swedish?
As a real Chinese,it's more or less sad to see so many “negative” comments about China, more sadly, most of them are true.

Last edited:

ErnstInEarnest

sorry,i have deleted my Mandarin comments last night. My English is way far from fluent,that's why i used Mandarin to express my viewpoint.
Obviously i cannot speak Svenska. BTW are you Swedish?
As a real Chinese,it's more or less sad to see so many “negative” comments about China, more sadly, most of them are true.
Nay, i'm Asian. Learnt my Swedish while doing project with a Swedish rubber maker. That sentence was meant to frustrate u with some foreign language, with the hope u understand how others feel.

You can beg to differ as much as you want, but this is a daily issue for me. If Taiwan continues to elect leaders that are not pro China, it'll happen sooner, rather than later. Why do you think they're working so hard to isolate Taiwan, not only by removing the few allies Taiwan has, but also by making sure Taiwan is excluded from international organisations, having airlines change the "region" to China, Taiwan, etc. ? They want people to think of Taiwan as Chinese property, which is never has been and hopefully never will be.
It's all propoganda. If they loosened on Taiwan, so will Tibet and XinJiang. And eventually the country will break up. Neither they could risk losing a war. Status quo remain as it is serves both side well.
Taiwanese needs exaggerate the threats too, otherwise the budget could suffer.
~~ Relax buddy.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nay, i'm Asian. Learnt my Swedish while doing project with a Swedish rubber maker. That sentence was meant to frustrate u with some foreign language, with the hope u understand how others feel.

It's all propoganda. If they loosened on Taiwan, so will Tibet and XinJiang. And eventually the country will break up. Neither they could risk losing a war. Status quo remain as it is serves both side well.
Taiwanese needs exaggerate the threats too, otherwise the budget could suffer.
~~ Relax buddy.
Relax? Easy for you to say that don't live here.

ErnstInEarnest

Relax? Easy for you to say that don't live here.
Look at bright side of life. i've heard claims from both sides they will 'reclaim' the others since childhood..... and i'm 58 this year.
Life is just too short for u to worry about events beyond one's control, enjoy life while u can.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Look at bright side of life. i've heard claims from both sides they will 'reclaim' the others since childhood..... and i'm 58 this year.
Life is just too short for u to worry about events beyond one's control, enjoy life while u can.
I don't think emperor Xi cares much about status quo etc. which is the big concern. Thinks aren't what they've been, even more so with the DPP party now officially rejecting the idea of one country, two systems. If they win next year's election, which seems highly likely at this point, tensions are going to rise.
I got to worry about these things, as it would end my livelihood and it would mean my SO and get family would be in trouble too.

ErnstInEarnest

I don't think emperor Xi cares much about status quo etc. which is the big concern. Thinks aren't what they've been, even more so with the DPP party now officially rejecting the idea of one country, two systems. If they win next year's election, which seems highly likely at this point, tensions are going to rise.
I got to worry about these things, as it would end my livelihood and it would mean my SO and get family would be in trouble too.
Again i differ.
It is NOT Taiwan that worries Xi, it is the repercussion from enemies from within, Tibet, XinJiang, Korean Pen, Japan and USA; ALL THESE must be put into the whole picture, as i said before, the calculated risks are far greater for anyone to handle,.unless severely threatened.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Again i differ.
It is NOT Taiwan that worries Xi, it is the repercussion from enemies from within, Tibet, XinJiang, Korean Pen, Japan and USA; ALL THESE must be put into the whole picture, as i said before, the calculated risks are far greater for anyone to handle,.unless severely threatened.
Let's wait and see what happens in Hong Kong, I fear the worst and if that happens, they might as well make the move on Taiwan...

ErnstInEarnest

Let's wait and see what happens in Hong Kong, I fear the worst and if that happens, they might as well make the move on Taiwan...
Didn't they probe the limit of the Party? Xi duly replied with show hand of armor vehicle touring the city centre. IF THREATENED, USE FORCE was the message. Since then everything subsided to a manageble level, both sides have exercise restraint at this point of time.
The demostration is simply unsustainable, it's time to get out when initial demand is met.

2. I think what we are discussing is beyond the scope of this forum, we shall end here.

Szheng

Did China kill your parents or something lostweed? You are particularly hateful in this post.

JFC the amount of ignorance in this comment section is just, wow.

Sure go on hating all your "made in china crap" which probably consists of ALL of your PC components AND phone components.

Just about DRAM, I'm sure he is amateur.