• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Compress video to fit on 1.44MB floppy?

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
I did mess around with separating, destroying, and splicing together the video and audio streams but it always ballooned larger than I wanted.
Could probably be done now that I have better tools to use though.
If you don't already use it, ffmpeg is the way to go generally. That and MKVtoolnix is what I use the most for video modification in one way or another. FFmpeg requires you to be comfortable with a commandline but its generally quite simple, great tool in general. Also used in the backend of most common tools, like handbrake or the like.

The arguments I listed in my post were what I fed in to ffmpeg to get the result seen, should be repeatable with the same source and a good base for further tweaking.

I used to zip them and put them on multiple floppies. Oh the horror when CRC check failed.
That zip approach would be interesting with a USB floppy emulator. I wonder how far you could apply that kind of approach.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
oh dear lord: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11xvBw0R4fQhbIK-VHZw45R3MR6YDvOWn/view?usp=sharing
Well it is only 1.33MB large, you can't really expect much of anything watchable.
watching that video is banned by the geneva convention
>mfw you transformed a random vid from a cringeworthy youtuber into a broken transmission from an abandoned ship derelict from a space horror movie

>the first 2 seconds
>the gibberish singing at 05:38
>watched it all for some reason
>perfect 5/7 rating. made my night.